Women: What Did You Think Of Pregnenolone?

Bluebell

I am wondering if there is any point in taking pregnenolone for a woman, if she is already taking progeterone?

I am now taking progest-e for 10 days of my cycle.

For the other 20 days I was thinking of taking pregnenolone.

But then I heard pregenolone coverts to progesterone so there doesn't seem to be any point, and perhaps it could mess up my cycle?

I've searched on the forum and it seemed like pregnenolone does not seem to work so well for women, producing androgen effects?

Was wondering what any of your experiences of pregnenolone are - thanks very much

tara

I tried it for a couple of weeks earlier this year.
I used Haidut's formula. Lower than his recommended dose, but almost every day for that period. In retrospect, I think I should have used it less often for that experiment.
I didn't have a great fortnight, but I can't be sure it was the pregnenolone - always more variables than I can control. I had more migraine days.
I can't conclude anything very definite, other than that it didn't quickly and miraculously solve my most pressing problem.
I'll probably try it again in the future, but not just now.

PS. I was also using progest-e c. 3 drops twice daily before, during and after the pregnenolone.

Ella

Forum Supporter
I love pregnenolone. I am post-menopausal and pregnenolone is the only thing that made a huge difference after my physical breakdown. I use progesterone sparingly because it knocks me around a bit emotionally. Maybe due to too much estrogen. Pregnenolone makes my body feel strong and more resistent to stress. I am more assertive and won''t take crap when I'm taking pregnenolone. It makes me feel mentally strong too. I never experienced this from progesterone. I have not had my hormones tested but I figured my youth hormones are probably depleted and testosterone low. I plan on getting my hormones tested to find out where I stand. I had my reverse T3 tested and it came back below the range. I have not heard anyone comment what this means and I can't seem to find anything on the internet. Maybe its because I am not on thyroid supplement and perhaps I should be. I am trying to work on my liver and then decide what to do.

Edle

Would it be possible to get feedback on the pregnenolone brands people are using? I was using the old Beyond a Century bottled pregnenolone powder, 20 grams. I felt it worked great when used occasionally. I used it mainly for insomnia, strong PMS fatigue and recovery from competition (endurance) or significant other types of stress. I recently tried the Nature's Purest, which was a total, total disaster. Zero effect, gave me rash, and smells and feels like low grade talcum powder. I only used it once, and had to take charchoal powder four hours after to limit the damage. The perfume smell is just more intense than anything I have had near my house ever.

But I agree with those who rave about pregnenolone. First time I used the BAC powder my vision improved significantly, which I had no expectation of whatsoever.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been happy with pregnenolone from Health Natura.

4peatssake

My experience nearly matches Ella's. I've had greater success with pregnenolone than progest e.

I went with Smart Powders after Beyond a Century stopped selling it. It's about $11 cheaper for 20 grams than at Heath Natura.

:2cents

Blossom

Forum Supporter
4peatssake said:
My experience nearly matches Ella's. I've had greater success with pregnenolone than progest e.

I went with Smart Powders after Beyond a Century stopped selling it. It's about $11 cheaper for 20 grams than at Heath Natura.

:2cents
Good to know! Thanks

Kray

I love pregnenolone. I am post-menopausal and pregnenolone is the only thing that made a huge difference after my physical breakdown. I use progesterone sparingly because it knocks me around a bit emotionally. Maybe due to too much estrogen. Pregnenolone makes my body feel strong and more resistent to stress. I am more assertive and won''t take crap when I'm taking pregnenolone. It makes me feel mentally strong too. I never experienced this from progesterone. I have not had my hormones tested but I figured my youth hormones are probably depleted and testosterone low. I plan on getting my hormones tested to find out where I stand. I had my reverse T3 tested and it came back below the range. I have not heard anyone comment what this means and I can't seem to find anything on the internet. Maybe its because I am not on thyroid supplement and perhaps I should be. I am trying to work on my liver and then decide what to do.

Are you still using pregnenolone? Other ladies who posted here- how about you? I am post-menopausal also and would like to know others' experience using pregnenolone-- cycling, dose, other bits of wisdom to share? DHEA mixed in?

Thank you!

Poppyseed13

@classicallady, @haidut

--At 54, I am close to menopause--I go months without a period and then have a whisper of a period. As I am autistic (Aspergers) I sometimes have atypical responses to supplements/medications.
--I am trying to experiment a bit with Pregnenolone and Dhea.
--I am taking 11-Keto-dht---to enhance libido, perhaps reduce body fat, lower stress.
--Full disclosure: I have been taking high doses of Vitamin K2/MK4 (including Kuinone) as well as a nightly dose of Lapodin (great stuff).

Some of my most recent test results (11-16-16):

Testosterone (Serum): 47 ng/dL (Ref. Range: 3 - 47)
Testosterone (Free/Direct): 5.8 pg/mL (Ref. Range: 0.0 - 4.2)
DHEA-Sulfate: 200.1 ug/dL (Ref. Range: 41.2 - 243.7)
Cortisol: 3.7 ug/dL (test was at 11:00am) (Ref. Range: AM: 6.2 - 19.4 / PM: 2.3 - 11.9)
Prolactin: 16.4 ug/mL (Ref. Range: 4.8 - 23.3)

--In trialling 11-Keto-dht: The first night (one drop), I had great sleep---but only for that night. It also provoked quite a few bowel movements.
--I moved up the dose one drop every 3-4 days with no distinct changes in libido, energy or better sleep.
--I stopped for a few days, re-read notes here on RPF, and then started back with 5 mg. Dhea (Pure Encapsulations) and 1 drop of 11-Keto-Dht---had nice improvement in libido after a few days.
--I kept the Dhea dose the same (5 mg.) and kept raising the 11-keto-dht... at 5 drops, I still wasn't sleeping great, libido was tanked, energy was not great.
--So then, I dropped the Dhea, and added Pansterone (1 drop) and stayed at the 5 drops of 11-keto-dht. First day, libido was really nice, good energy, good mood, and good sleep that night.

--The second day of taking Pansterone with the 11-keto-dht, I could hardly keep my head up during the day---I suspect the Pregnenolone as I have had that response before to just pregnenolone. But why? Why would pregnenolone make me sooo sleepy?

--My libido responds to Dhea and 11-keto-dht but only intermittently.... I like the response, I just want it to last for more than a day.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts would be great,

Thanks,
Poppyseed13

haidut

Forum Supporter
@classicallady, @haidut

--At 54, I am close to menopause--I go months without a period and then have a whisper of a period. As I am autistic (Aspergers) I sometimes have atypical responses to supplements/medications.
--I am trying to experiment a bit with Pregnenolone and Dhea.
--I am taking 11-Keto-dht---to enhance libido, perhaps reduce body fat, lower stress.
--Full disclosure: I have been taking high doses of Vitamin K2/MK4 (including Kuinone) as well as a nightly dose of Lapodin (great stuff).

Some of my most recent test results (11-16-16):

Testosterone (Serum): 47 ng/dL (Ref. Range: 3 - 47)
Testosterone (Free/Direct): 5.8 pg/mL (Ref. Range: 0.0 - 4.2)
DHEA-Sulfate: 200.1 ug/dL (Ref. Range: 41.2 - 243.7)
Cortisol: 3.7 ug/dL (test was at 11:00am) (Ref. Range: AM: 6.2 - 19.4 / PM: 2.3 - 11.9)
Prolactin: 16.4 ug/mL (Ref. Range: 4.8 - 23.3)

--In trialling 11-Keto-dht: The first night (one drop), I had great sleep---but only for that night. It also provoked quite a few bowel movements.
--I moved up the dose one drop every 3-4 days with no distinct changes in libido, energy or better sleep.
--I stopped for a few days, re-read notes here on RPF, and then started back with 5 mg. Dhea (Pure Encapsulations) and 1 drop of 11-Keto-Dht---had nice improvement in libido after a few days.
--I kept the Dhea dose the same (5 mg.) and kept raising the 11-keto-dht... at 5 drops, I still wasn't sleeping great, libido was tanked, energy was not great.
--So then, I dropped the Dhea, and added Pansterone (1 drop) and stayed at the 5 drops of 11-keto-dht. First day, libido was really nice, good energy, good mood, and good sleep that night.

--The second day of taking Pansterone with the 11-keto-dht, I could hardly keep my head up during the day---I suspect the Pregnenolone as I have had that response before to just pregnenolone. But why? Why would pregnenolone make me sooo sleepy?

--My libido responds to Dhea and 11-keto-dht but only intermittently.... I like the response, I just want it to last for more than a day.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts would be great,

Thanks,
Poppyseed13

Your morning cortisol is low, so adding pregnenolone can lower it even more. DHEA also lowers cortisol so can 11-keto DHT. So, given your low cortisol you may have pushed it even lower. Were you taking these supplements before the blood test?

Poppyseed13

@haidut I was taking the 11-keto-Dht for a day or two (1 drop) before the test. So, I only had a libido response (good) for one day with the combo of Dhea plus 11-keto-Dht.... then just nothing much.
--So, I will stop both these supplements. How to raise Testosterone ---the tests levels say high, but my libido is tanked unlike just a year ago.
What can I take or do to help it rise?

@classicallady --I have supplemented with Progest-E for many years --to good effect as I have been Estrogen dominant (I hate that term).... really what I am saying is the ratio of my estrogen to progesterone is too wide ...

---Many women I know take testosterone directly to good effect. @haidut--would any of your Idealabs products help me raise it?

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I was taking the 11-keto-Dht for a day or two (1 drop) before the test. So, I only had a libido response (good) for one day with the combo of Dhea plus 11-keto-Dht.... then just nothing much.
--So, I will stop both these supplements. How to raise Testosterone ---the tests levels say high, but my libido is tanked unlike just a year ago.
What can I take or do to help it rise?

@classicallady --I have supplemented with Progest-E for many years --to good effect as I have been Estrogen dominant (I hate that term).... really what I am saying is the ratio of my estrogen to progesterone is too wide ...

---Many women I know take testosterone directly to good effect. @haidut--would any of your Idealabs products help me raise it?

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

I can't answer direct questions about raising T. Why would you want to raise T if your levels are already borderline high?

Poppyseed13

@haidut I apologize for putting you on the spot like that. I am struggling to understand what's going on in my body. It gets frustrating as I know so little about chemistry/biology and how hormones work.

--There is very little understanding/sympathy/action from doctors. They brush me aside ... "it's a part of growing old, etc. etc." Doctors are unwilling to prescribe anything to help improve libido (add eye health/bone health/mental joie de vivre) in post-menopausal women. Many women friends just accept that low libido, etc. later in life is normal. I do not. A healthy sex life is part of robust good health. I want that for the next 5o or so years.

--My misunderstanding came from thinking that testosterone levels are directly correlated to my how my libido is doing, but some more research this afternoon gave me greater insight: (I'm posting this rather long excerpt for any women that might be interested)

"The link between testosterone and female sexual function..... The multifactoral nature of women's sexual function, the range of approaches used to measure female sexual dysfunction, and the challenges of measuring testosterone, its precursors, and its metabolites have complicated this speciality. Despite these limitations, large cross-sectional and longitudinal studies have shown consistent associations between androgens and sexual function in women. Importantly, sexual function is not related to changes in circulating concentrations of androgens at menopause or early postmenopause, as blood concentrations of androgens do not change during the menopausal transition, instead, associations exist between between specific androgens and self-reported measures of sexual function in premenopausal and post-menopausal women.
Results of a community-based study of 1021 randomly recruited healthy women showed a direct association between an endogenous level of DHEAS below the tenth percentile and low sexual responsiveness in women aged 45 years and older. In women aged 18-44 years, concentrations of DHEAS below the tenth percental were directly associated with low sexual desire, arousal, and responsiveness. No associations with androstenedione or total and free testosterone were seen. .... continued with a free download: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00284-3/abstract

Thanks for listening,
Poppyseed13

Ella

Forum Supporter
Are you still using pregnenolone? Other ladies who posted here- how about you?

I am taking pregnenolone occasionally. I don't seem to get the same effect as before. I think I may have lowered my cortisol and estrogen too much. I lost a lot of weight and have been left with a lot of saggy skin. :arghh: I seem to build muscles quickly so I am hoping I will be able to tone up lifting weights?? The weight loss really scared me. I managed to slow it down by eating carbs like oats, bread, pasta an whole grains like wheat and chickpeas and beans. I don't have any gut issues which is a blessing. I know its crazy and very not peaty. I was also low in phosphorus. I guess I have been peating way too long and need to address the balance. Fruit and sugar removes phosphates - maybe I was a bit too zealous in my efforts.
I'll do a hormone panel in the new year and see what gives.

I find now that I have issues with orange juice and coffee. The orange juice especially causes irritable bladder and the pH of my vagina is too alkaline which is causing me some distress. Both OJ and coffee chelate heavy metals from the body and thus could be the reason. I may not be utilising calcium properly. I am now increasing progesterone as it is required for the vitamin D receptors. I have started to supplement Vitamin D and thyroid hormone. I need more sun. However, I feel sleepy during the day and needing a nanna nap. Can't keep my eyes open when working on the computer during the day. However, I haven't felt like this even when my T4 was low and TSH elevated. I guess I was running on adrenaline and cortisol. Such potent hormones - life feels like a real drag without those stress hormones coursing through the body. It wouldn't be so bad if we could just lie in the sun, but I am too busy, especially with Xmas on the doorstep. Thyroid hormone is making me crazy hungry all the time.

Has anyone targeted estrogen aggressively resulting in driving estrogen too low?

moss

Other ladies who posted here- how about you? I am post-menopausal also and would like to know others' experience using pregnenolone-- cycling, dose, other bits of wisdom to share? DHEA mixed in?
Not sure I have any wisdom to add and I don't use DHEA. I will be 54 in a few weeks. I currently take pregnenolone (Heath Natura) 50mg in the evening with warm milk and honey, cinnamon and sleep like a dead person. I was taking 40mg for a couple of months then jumped to 70mg and a couple of days later a period came on (hadn't bled since April this year) and I needed to take progesterone to stop the bleed which I did at day 11. Apart from Aspirin and niacinamide occasionally, Vitamin K daily, B's and serrapeptase that's about it.
For the moment pregnenolone makes me feel calm and I sleep so well. I also take a good amount of salt.

moss

I lost a lot of weight and have been left with a lot of saggy skin.
Are you eating enough?

I was also low in phosphorus. I guess I have been peating way too long and need to address the balance. Fruit and sugar removes phosphates - maybe I was a bit too zealous in my efforts.
I'll do a hormone panel in the new year and see what gives.

I find now that I have issues with orange juice and coffee. The orange juice especially causes irritable bladder and the pH of my vagina is too alkaline which is causing me some distress.

Old fashioned remedy what about barley water? Grab a handful of pearl barley in a good amount of water bring to the boil, can add sugar and lemon and strain the pearl barley off and drink cupfuls over the course of the day. Very soothing for the bladder.

I find now that I have issues with orange juice
Valencia's are in season, not Navels at the moment which can be harsh on the system, seem to remember you are in Oz. What about half OJ and soda water?

I may not be utilizing calcium properly. I am now increasing progesterone as it is required for the vitamin D receptors. I have started to supplement Vitamin D and thyroid hormone. I need more sun.

Are you getting enough calcium? Boiled greens in water and milk and cheese......
This is meant to be good, I have not tried it.
High Protein Cottage Cheese | Barambah Organics

If you are losing weight rapidly, milkshakes with honey, eggs, fruit or cinnamon, cocoa - I suggest this to older folk (much older than you! :)) because this is a building up food and if you can tolerate milk.

I need more sun.
Can't get 20 mins in the morning?

However, I feel sleepy during the day and needing a nanna nap. Can't keep my eyes open when working on the computer during the day. However, I haven't felt like this even when my T4 was low and TSH elevated. I guess I was running on adrenaline and cortisol. Such potent hormones - life feels like a real drag without those stress hormones coursing through the body. It wouldn't be so bad if we could just lie in the sun, but I am too busy, especially with Xmas on the doorstep. Thyroid hormone is making me crazy hungry all the time.
Coffee during the day will help with energy and mood, is there a reason why you cannot tolerate coffee are you drinking with meals?
Thyroid hormone is making me crazy hungry all the time.
Increase your food intake and particularly protein.

Has anyone targeted estrogen aggressively resulting in driving estrogen too low?
Is it possible to be oestrogen deficient? because any stressed cell can make it and it sounds like you have been very busy.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I apologize for putting you on the spot like that. I am struggling to understand what's going on in my body. It gets frustrating as I know so little about chemistry/biology and how hormones work.

--There is very little understanding/sympathy/action from doctors. They brush me aside ... "it's a part of growing old, etc. etc." Doctors are unwilling to prescribe anything to help improve libido (add eye health/bone health/mental joie de vivre) in post-menopausal women. Many women friends just accept that low libido, etc. later in life is normal. I do not. A healthy sex life is part of robust good health. I want that for the next 5o or so years.

--My misunderstanding came from thinking that testosterone levels are directly correlated to my how my libido is doing, but some more research this afternoon gave me greater insight: (I'm posting this rather long excerpt for any women that might be interested)

"The link between testosterone and female sexual function..... The multifactoral nature of women's sexual function, the range of approaches used to measure female sexual dysfunction, and the challenges of measuring testosterone, its precursors, and its metabolites have complicated this speciality. Despite these limitations, large cross-sectional and longitudinal studies have shown consistent associations between androgens and sexual function in women. Importantly, sexual function is not related to changes in circulating concentrations of androgens at menopause or early postmenopause, as blood concentrations of androgens do not change during the menopausal transition, instead, associations exist between between specific androgens and self-reported measures of sexual function in premenopausal and post-menopausal women.
Results of a community-based study of 1021 randomly recruited healthy women showed a direct association between an endogenous level of DHEAS below the tenth percentile and low sexual responsiveness in women aged 45 years and older. In women aged 18-44 years, concentrations of DHEAS below the tenth percental were directly associated with low sexual desire, arousal, and responsiveness. No associations with androstenedione or total and free testosterone were seen. .... continued with a free download: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00284-3/abstract

Thanks for listening,
Poppyseed13

I concur, DHEA/S seems to be the only steroid associated with sexual desire in women and androsterone seems to be the one for males. Your DHEA/S seems in good range. Prolactin is also in range but is probably best below 12 for women. Other than that, the thing I can suggest is testing cortisol as sometimes higher cortisol can dampen sexual desire in women. Have you tested estrogens line estrone, estrone sulfate and estradiol?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals