Period Returned, Question About Pregnenolone Dosage

whit

I guess I don't quite understand this reply. Isn't magnesium chloride kind of a salt form? Similar to epsom salt? So what do you mean by "put it on after bathing"?

Thanks
Hanneke,
Yes Mag chloride is a salt similar to epsom salt. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate though. You can get mag chloride in either form bulk salt or dissolved in water. It is sometimes called mag oil but thats only because it feels smooth on the skin. It's not actually oil. Nighthawk minerals is the best price I've found for mag chloride online. Some people dissolve the mag chloride in water and soak say in a hot tub. I don't have one. The other option is to apply or spray the solution to the skin after baithing in diluted form. This helps my muscles relax after exercise. But pink himelayan salt is what we prefer around food for mineral maintenance.
Hope this brings clarity,
Whit

tara

The other option is to apply or spray the solution to the skin after baithing in diluted form.
This seems to work well for some people - either Mg chloride or Mg sulphate. Some of us find it irritates the skin - worth trying to see if it is good for you.

. But pink himelayan salt is what we prefer around food for mineral maintenance.
Peat's recommendation is for pickling salt - pure NaCl, white, not a pink one that likely contains unwanted iron and other substances.

whit

This seems to work well for some people - either Mg chloride or Mg sulphate. Some of us find it irritates the skin - worth trying to see if it is good for you.

Peat's recommendation is for pickling salt - pure NaCl, white, not a pink one that likely contains unwanted iron and other substances.

Thanks Tara for the tip on pickling salt. Yea mag chloride can need dilution for sensitive areas. I apply it to my feet.
I've found in summer when I sweat much more with my work some salt or mag chloride in my drinking water works to repletish electrolytes. Oj is my favorite though and can bring me back around. I'm a "heavy sweater" too and I'm with you on the tiny tub, why bother.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hanneke

I got sick with the flu (I think) on Monday. I have only been sick with the flu once in my life in 2009 (H1N1). I actually never get sick. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
I have 2 questions that I am thinking about and I'm just throwing it out there. It might have no connection at all.
1. Can this have any relation to starting pregnenolone? My gut says no, it's probably a coincidence.
2. I took an epsom salt bath last night with about 4 lbs of salt. It was lovely but I got even sicker after that. My throat started hurting again and a lot of mucus started to come up. However this morning I do feel somewhat better. Can epsom salt have this effect? Did I put too much in? (it did seem like an awful lot, usually I use 2 cups or so, 4 pounds is over 5 cups)

Thanks all for putting up with my rudimentary knowledge on this subject. Have a happy weekend.

tara

I took an epsom salt bath last night with about 4 lbs of salt. It was lovely but I got even sicker after that.
I don't know about your questions, but I had to stop having hot baths the last couple of years because I was not coping with them. I supplement Mg by other means.

Sheila

In my experience the use of heat in a bath can be helpful or unhelpful depending on the person experiencing it, so yet another thing very person-specific.
The ability to adapt to temperature change, like atmospheric pressure change appears to be a function of general energy available. For some cool baths are preferable to hot and with any minerals, it would be advisable perhaps to start with a cupful and work up. I suspect when we go too fast on anything, we can push our systems further into stress, the road to hell being paved with good intentions.
It is good Hanneke, that you feel better today.
My reference point is more extreme cases. I have seen several people undertake hyperthermia treatments in Europe for cancer conditions where the whole body is heated to kill the cancer, since cancers have primitive blood supplies and are, technically at least, the first to overheat and die. In these people however, I saw merely the acceleration of oxidative stress from this approach, their bodies just could not cope with the heat, cancer being more of a 'field' effect not a tumour specific disease. The lowered metabolic state of cancer would likely lower their ability to sweat effectively and whilst they were carefully monitored, this approach was sadly unhelpful. Yet, others have got the desired results, perhaps they were intrinsically stronger to begin with.
I am also curious as to whether the body lowers absorption when it considers itself replete so that it doesn't get 'too much of a good thing' (which wouldn't then be a good thing). I suspect that is more than possible, that such 'intelligence' might also reduce the ability to sweat and thereby make hot immersion too much. Hopefully we get out at that point!
I have noticed for example that when I am replete in salt, things taste salty quickly, but when I am deficient, I can tolerate lots of salt without issue. Then a threshold is reached and it's time to back off again. This is internal recognition, but I suspect the skin does this too, but maybe the signals are harder to see.
Just some thoughts.
Sheila

tara

Or more likely I was extremely low in estrogen since my hot flashes were really out of control.
I think Peat tends to associate hot flushing with too high estrogen : progesterone ratio - more likely too low progesterone than too low estrogen. Have you read Peats articles on progesterone and estrogen on his site raypeat.com? I'd recommend them for getting Peat's take on these.