Pregnenolone making me angry?

calvert79

I bought pregnenolone a few months ago and tried it for a few days before ditching it. I can't remember why (which is ridiculous) but I took another pill last night and today I've been really irritable. I feel like I have the worst PMS and now I'm wondering if that's why I stopped taking it the last time.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening or know why it might be? I'm only on day 10 of my cycle so shouldn't be feeling this way and even when I'm at that point in my cycle (just after ovulation) I rarely feel this angry.

Does this mean its' working? Any help appreciated.

SonOfEurope

It's a bit more complicated since you're a woman and your natural hormones work cyclically.... During the luteal phase a modest increase in progesterone would be ideal.

But was it a full 100mg capsule?

A few months ago I did the experiment of taking 5,000 milligrams ( 5 grams, that's right) in a 5 day period.

I first experienced the anesthetic relaxation from increasing progesterone - which I'm much used to (I used 28mg/day for two years to heal from an addiction ) But by the next day, and increasingly over the next week that followed I experienced some de-personalization and even became somewhat manic... Like a brutal burst of thyroid but without that much libido..... This was a bit scary, it's mostly due to Pregnenolone's dose dependant effect conversion to Allo-pregnenalone through the progesterone pathway, and can have strong effects on Gaba-a to the point of inducing irritability and at least in my case some bipolarity.... It took about 2 weeks for things to go back to norm... The best advice I can give is to keep P5 at 30 to 40mg/day (if you can, space it out into 10mg 3 or 4 tines a day) - DHEA will be more in balance as the body won't have to choose the defensive mechanism of sending such a large dose into Progesterone only to avoid an excess of DHEA, which is best always kept low in ratio to Preg/Prog, and the body knows this.

OP
calvert79

calvert79

Thank you so much for the feedback.

It was a 30mg capsule (not taking DHEA) but it was so bad I don't want to take it again. I started to feel better by last night - 24 hours after taking - and I'm back to 'normal' now.

It's a shame, so many reviews on here and on amazon made me hopeful. I did see a few posts on reddit saying people were made irritable so I guess it does happen.

Hugh Johnson

I'm a man and it made me rage so much that I punched shower wall. One of my knuckles is still smaller in that hand. I raged for hours alone. I believe it was just the energy bringing up suppressed emotions.

Hermes

Might it be the quality of the pregnenolone? I find p5 derived from wild yams superior to other pregnenolone. For instance, I seem not to get enough of Haidut's pregnenolone which is diluted a solvent. I tried once to take half the bottle's worth of it and felt no ill effects (that's around 2 g if I'm not mistaken). Peat mentioned once to have taken 3 g of pregnenolone during a one-year period. Not sure where to find this statement again.

OP
calvert79

calvert79

Might it be the quality of the pregnenolone? I find p5 derived from wild yams superior to other pregnenolone. For instance, I seem not to get enough of Haidut's pregnenolone which is diluted a solvent. I tried once to take half the bottle's worth of it and felt no ill effects (that's around 2 g if I'm not mistaken). Peat mentioned once to have taken 3 g of pregnenolone during a one-year period. Not sure where to find this statement again.
It's possible. This is the one I got: Amazon product ASIN B00US74ZNSView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pregnenolone-120-Tablets-Best-Naturals/dp/B00US74ZNS/

shine

Maybe it is flushing out estrogen. I had anxiety, puffy nipples, irritability and anger when I started taking pregnenolone. This subsided after 3 days though. Now it makes me calm and lowers stress.

I know a girl who likes taking low doses sublingually. She opens up the capsules and takes 3-5 mg sublingually.

OP
calvert79

calvert79

Maybe it is flushing out estrogen. I had anxiety, puffy nipples, irritability and anger when I started taking pregnenolone. This subsided after 3 days though. Now it makes me calm and lowers stress.

I know a girl who likes taking low doses sublingually. She opens up the capsules and takes 3-5 mg sublingually.
I did wonder whether pushing through might be an idea. I don't think I could cope. Maybe timing it with a better time in my cycle would work.

baccheion

Pregnenolone starts at a higher dose and is steadily decreased. DHEA then starts at the smallest dose and is steadily increased. Mainly to avoid such issues.

Pregnenolone is better 1x/week anyway. That is, 350 mg 1x/week rather than 50 mg/day. Also avoids needing "hormone holidays".

The initial irritability/anger (if still deciding to take smaller amounts) goes away after a week or so.

Last edited:

Candy

Why is it better once a week? I took 50 mg daily for 5 days and I got sick, low energy and my pulse was low

jyb

I get irritable with DHEA even very small doses. I'm a guy. It really does seem harmful so I haven't continued it more than a few days... I don't remember this issue with pregnenolone.

baccheion

Why is it better once a week? I took 50 mg daily for 5 days and I got sick, low energy and my pulse was low
To avoid the initial irritability (said to be due to estrogen dumping). Further, less need to worry about tolerance that would lead to needing holidays.

I wouldn't make individual recommendations. I can't really even treat myself.

OP
calvert79

calvert79

I'm going to try it once per week and see how it's going.

Are there other ways to dump estrogen - other than carrot salads? And to speed up the elimination?

SonOfEurope

Pregnenolone starts at a higher dose and is steadily decreased. DHEA then starts at the smallest dose and is steadily increased. Mainly to avoid such issues.

Pregnenolone is better 1x/week anyway. That is, 350 mg 1x/week rather than 50 mg/day. Also avoids needing "hormone holidays".

The initial irritability/anger (if still deciding to take smaller amounts) goes away after a week or so.

Couldn't agree more.

SonOfEurope

I'm going to try it once per week and see how it's going.

Are there other ways to dump estrogen - other than carrot salads? And to speed up the elimination?

Adequate proteins, balanced with Gelatin.

Easy-to-digest Carbohydrates, for many people this mean replacing starch with ripe fruit, but attention, Ripe fruit is very hard to obtain if you're north of latitude 33-35.

Light, weekly Aspirin, Coffee as you build up tolerance (Caffeine is similar to Progesterone ) Plenty of sleep, reducing stress, building muscle and then loosing fat.

Many other things, it's systemic.

OP
calvert79

calvert79

Adequate proteins, balanced with Gelatin.

Easy-to-digest Carbohydrates, for many people this mean replacing starch with ripe fruit, but attention, Ripe fruit is very hard to obtain if you're north of latitude 33-35.

Light, weekly Aspirin, Coffee as you build up tolerance (Caffeine is similar to Progesterone ) Plenty of sleep, reducing stress, building muscle and then loosing fat.

Many other things, it's systemic.
Thank you, that's very helpful. Yes, I'm in Scotland so ripe fruit is pretty hard to come by.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals