Pregnenolone Supplementation Safe For Endogenous Production ?

HealingBoy

Hello :)

I'm concerned about pregnenolone supplementation triggering negative feedback for pregnenolone and/or other corticoid/steroids production.

My psychiatrist said there is a risk of shutting down or dysregulating HPA axis because of exogenous pregnenolone. I am also afraid it would push my body to produce too much estrogen or less testosterone (even though I'm careful about what is estrogenic and what is androgenic and how to be androgen-dominant)

What are the evidences that it is safe ? I'm 28 and I would prefer to not touch my hormonal balance (even though pregnenolone helps me feel better for the moment). It's not as if I was 60 and obviously needed supplementation. However, since I have lived a stressful and traumatic life, there are chances my HPA axis and hormonal balance is already well disregulated.

If there is any research paper on that, I'll be glad to read it.

Thanks for your answers and have a nice day :thumbup

shine

If it makes you feel good, take it. I am 27 and have been taking 50mg daily for about a year now. My health keeps getting better and better.
I too had a very stressful childhood, young adult life and was even bedridden for 3 years. My Preg blood levels were below reference range, so I was 26 and obviously needed supplementation. Don't get fooled by the age thing. I am at a point where I'm like "do what's necessary to feel good and to be effective".

"Once the Preg is produced, it leaves the mitochondria, so there is no negative feedback loop" - is something that is often stated on the internet. I wouldn't worry so much about it. Studies with 400mg have not shown any side effects, quite the contrary.

OP
H

HealingBoy

Thank you for your answers, I feel a little more reassured concerning my use of preg for my age. However, I'm looking for studies, research papers, I prefer not to rely just on people saying "it's ok, you can go for it" because I have also read people saying it wasn't that safe. :) I may be wrong but I have not found convincing evidences for the moment.

TeaRex14

I'm slightly younger then you, and have no problems with pregnenolone supplementation. I think I remember seeing a study on this forum that exogenous preg stimulates your cholesterol to turnover, which means it would actually promote your own pregnenolone production indigenously. The estrogen thing seems more widely controversial. Some people report doing fine, others report increase in estrogen symptoms. Taking pregnenolone with aromatase inhibitors will help prevent this. Coffee/caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, and vitamin E are great examples of AIs.

OP
H

HealingBoy

That's what I do, I take niacinamide, some fruit juices like grape or pomegranate. Sometimes coffee, but not often, it's just tiring to be anxious all the day.
I felt the testosterone boost at the beginning but not anymore.

Lolinaa

@shine: what brand do you use?

I have the healthnatura and it gave me anxiety. I will try à week-end to use it topically before giving up and throwing it away.

tankasnowgod

Hello :)

I'm concerned about pregnenolone supplementation triggering negative feedback for pregnenolone and/or other corticoid/steroids production.

My psychiatrist said there is a risk of shutting down or dysregulating HPA axis because of exogenous pregnenolone. I am also afraid it would push my body to produce too much estrogen or less testosterone (even though I'm careful about what is estrogenic and what is androgenic and how to be androgen-dominant)

What are the evidences that it is safe ? I'm 28 and I would prefer to not touch my hormonal balance (even though pregnenolone helps me feel better for the moment). It's not as if I was 60 and obviously needed supplementation. However, since I have lived a stressful and traumatic life, there are chances my HPA axis and hormonal balance is already well disregulated.

If there is any research paper on that, I'll be glad to read it.

Thanks for your answers and have a nice day :thumbup

If anything, Pregnenolone should protect against excess estrogen- Pregnenolone (P5) fully prevents testicular atrophy due to steroid (ab)use or high estrogen – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

As for other concerns about shutting down the HPA axis, if you search the forum and Ray Peat's website, you might find some studies and/or opinions to help you. If not, do some searches on Google Scholar and Pubmed, as others on the forum might not have your specific concerns in this area, and may not have looked.

Mito

“Like I said in previous threads and Peat has confirmed in emails directly to him - neither pregnenolone nor DHEA are known to cause suppression. Pregnenolone has no known suppressive effects in any dose, while DHEA is known not to be suppressive in doses below 50mg. And I hope nobody is taking anywhere close to 50mg DHEA.
The DHT-cousins like 11-keto DHT can cause suppression but only in high doses. In doses of 25mg and under, which again are the ideal doses for most people, it should not cause suppression while at the same time lowering estrogen, cortisol and prolactin. Andorsterone has been in use under the name Atromid and given in hundreds of milligrams per day. Suppression was noted in doses of 200mg given several times daily by injection. Again, nothing like the doses that can be achieved with our product. Overall, if you use the products at or below the recommended doses on the bottle there should not be any suppression. But as usual we recommend asking a doctor before using it and discussing with her/him the proper doses. Usually, adding pregnenolone to any of the other steroid supplements helps to greatly reduce risk of suppression.”
Androsterone - Liquid Androsterone For Lab/R&D

johnsmith

I tend to use pregnenolone topically every second day or so, 6-10 milligram doses here and there. I've been using it for years. Whenever I try to take a break from it, I normally last a week and a half before I start to feel quite off. Do you guys think that what I'm feeling in these instances is the natural state of my brain chemistry? I sure hope not. I hope that if I was to continue to not use it for a third or fourth week, I'd start to feel a bit more normal. I wouldn't be surprised if this wouldn't be the case, I'm definitely not a very healthy person.

Last edited:

Gustav3Y

I'm slightly younger then you, and have no problems with pregnenolone supplementation. I think I remember seeing a study on this forum that exogenous preg stimulates your cholesterol to turnover, which means it would actually promote your own pregnenolone production indigenously. The estrogen thing seems more widely controversial. Some people report doing fine, others report increase in estrogen symptoms. Taking pregnenolone with aromatase inhibitors will help prevent this. Coffee/caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, and vitamin E are great examples of AIs.

I have been at one point taking Pregnenologe to solve a state of unrest and and estradiol symptoms, took some Swanson Pregnenolone, seemed to work fine, then I ran out out of it, ordered a bottle again immediately but this time it had no effect at all, I kept taking but nothing happened. This is strange but well, it is what it is.
Then I took some Stressnon topically and I felt it working, for several days until it ran out.
Then I ordered some Pregnenolone powder from a reputable source, every time I took the oral powder I felt like all my esradiol symptoms were getting aggravated. After several tries I have stopped it, it was terrible, everything was worse.

I will probably try the powder again since I still have it, to see if these negative effects are the same if I try it again.

Clearly different sources, different batches, different effects, so keep that in mind.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals