What Rules Do You Break?

dreamcatcher

This should probably be clarified as 'ray peat forum rules'. From his writing, Ray does not seem particularly dogmatic and there are only a few 'rules' that stand out to me such as limiting PUFA consumption as much as possible.

All that being said I;
  • eat starch because I struggle to consume adequate calories whilst keeping calories from fat around 20%
  • avoid milk. Does not agree with me in any form.
  • don't supplement calcium because it invokes a stress response (cold hands, Vasoconstriction, lethargy, cold sweat etc).
  • ignore the calcium:phosphorus ratio because of the above (and I can't palate eating 500 grams of green vegetables every day)
  • Binge Drink and smoke 20 cigs once every 2-3 weeks because I'm English and this is necessary as an adult to maintain citizenship.
The stress response to the calcium supplement might be due to that it interferes with digestion.. specially in hypothyroid people. Danny Roddy has a video about this topic.

biffbelvin

The stress response to the calcium supplement might be due to that it interferes with digestion.. specially in hypothyroid people. Danny Roddy has a video about this topic.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's due to it neutralising stomach acids (which is probably already low) as I've had similar reactions from eating too much food or eating meals too close together etc.

I should probably clarify that when i say that i'm ignoring Ca:P ratio, i mean that i'm not striving to achieve a 1:1 ratio. My 'rough' plan comes out to 1:2.5 and in a few months I plan to have a hair test to see if I need to re-assess this.

dreamcatcher

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's due to it neutralising stomach acids (which is probably already low) as I've had similar reactions from eating too much food or eating meals too close together etc.

I should probably clarify that when i say that i'm ignoring Ca:P ratio, i mean that i'm not striving to achieve a 1:1 ratio. My 'rough' plan comes out to 1:2.5 and in a few months I plan to have a hair test to see if I need to re-assess this.
I had a hair mineral analysis a few months ago and would never do another one again!
I asked Ray Peat about the results and his reply was:
"The hair quickly and firmly absorbs things that it’s exposed to, from the air and water. Copper and calcium are often from the water and plumbing using in washing. Toenails are more representative of body composition. If the hair and nails have an abnormally large amount of calcium, it’s more likely to indicate a dietary deficiency than excess, since when there is a deficiency of calcium in the diet, or vitamin D, the parathyroid hormone increases, causing calcium from the bones to move into the other tissues. A vitamin K deficiency is another cause."

Jennifer

What led you to a Fruitarian approach out of interest?
I have a long history with high fruit consumption, which is actually what led me to Ray's work, and struggling with depression, anxiety and digestive issues. Fruit had become my go to for its ease of digestion and it's ability to clear my head, elevate my mood and calm my nerves. By the time I had decided to end my stint Peating with dairy, I had deteriorated so much and had been fighting off thoughts of suicide that I knew I needed to let go of my fear of going back to a fruit-based diet — my doctor swore it was what almost killed me and that I needed animal protein, particularly dairy, to save my bones. I included some low/non-starchy veggie soups when I first transitioned back and within a day, the suicidal thoughts were gone. The rest is history. :)

Jennifer

@Jennifer I hope it works well for you, which is the most important. I don't think it's what Ray Peat would recommend though. There was a 2 months period when I didn't eat dairy products ( now I do) and Ray Peat asked me if there was any dairy product I could digest better and incorporate; encouraging me to consume it. When I asked him what I should eat on a daily basis, his reply was: 2 litres of milk, fruits, some cheese, liver and seafood occasionally.
At another time he asked if I ate oysters, shrimp, crab, or calimari, regularly..he also recommended leaves for magnesium.

There were times when I was less strict (~80%) following his guidelines, now I follow most what he recommends.
Thanks, Rosie! I appreciate that! I agree Ray may not agree with it, which is why I posted it on this thread. I went through great lengths to make dairy work and found it just isn't for me. The kind of healing I've attained since tells me I made the right decision to let it go. I'm glad you found it works well for you, though. :)

Lizb

I've just listened to an interview with Ray Peat, he particularly talked about the negative effects of salad, increasing serotonin.
I have heard him say that. What I was saying is has Peat made that assumption on the study of the make up of the food itself or of the make up if the food after mastication.

Sunny Jack

Aldi do lightly salted tortilla chips made with high-oleic sunflower oil, which seems less terrible than most other oils, being monounsaturated.

That and gluten-free pasta made from corn and rice starch, there's me cheats.

OP
S

Sobieski

I have a long history with high fruit consumption, which is actually what led me to Ray's work, and struggling with depression, anxiety and digestive issues. Fruit had become my go to for its ease of digestion and it's ability to clear my head, elevate my mood and calm my nerves. By the time I had decided to end my stint Peating with dairy, I had deteriorated so much and had been fighting off thoughts of suicide that I knew I needed to let go of my fear of going back to a fruit-based diet — my doctor swore it was what almost killed me and that I needed animal protein, particularly dairy, to save my bones. I included some low/non-starchy veggie soups when I first transitioned back and within a day, the suicidal thoughts were gone. The rest is history. :)
That's interesting and I'm very glad you have overcome these problems. Do you think animal protein or fat causes you to have some sort of auto-immune response?

EndAllDisease

If you're referring to the evidence-based nutritional principles that Ray Peat recommends then I do have some compromises I've made.
The main one is I eat potatoes and occasionally pasta. This will obviously feed bacteria which will then produce endotoxin and not be good for me, so I compromise by consuming carrots and/or activated charcoal a few hours after these meals a couple of times within the next 24 hours.

HDD

I have heard him say that. What I was saying is has Peat made that assumption on the study of the make up of the food itself or of the make up if the food after mastication.
From an interview-
One Radio Network - Patrick Timpone: Dr. Peat Answers Questions Regarding Health, Diet And Nutrition Part 1
“but because the raw vegetables or undercooked vegetables can be attacked by bacteria, if they stay in the intestine too long and the bacteria will produce toxins; many people by the time, in their 30s, will start to have digestive problems if they are eating salad every day. And it happens that root vegetables such as carrots have to defend themselves against bacteria and fungus”

Jennifer

That's interesting and I'm very glad you have overcome these problems. Do you think animal protein or fat causes you to have some sort of auto-immune response?
Thank you, Sobieski! :) The only problem I've ever had with animal protein (non-dairy sources) is back pain, but that's only since fracturing my spine. I think with dairy it mostly has to do with the fact that, like Ray says, it supports abundant bacterial growth, and since I tend toward slow digestion and it constipates me, I end up with an overgrowth. Same with starch, even from fiber rich sources like potatoes.

Glassy

This feels like a confessional thread lol.

I eat a lot of lean beef and white rice which I try to balance with a lot of gelatine.

I drink black coffee while fasted and fast for 16-18hrs each day. I also lift weights fasted 2-3 times per week

I don’t drink much milk.

Last week I had a meal at a Korean restaurant while intoxicated and partook in deep fried chicken pieces and a dish containing pork intestines which I’m pretty sure was cooked in vegetable oil.

Jennifer

Last week I had a meal at a Korean restaurant while intoxicated and partook in deep fried chicken pieces and a dish containing pork intestines which I’m pretty sure was cooked in vegetable oil.
And you didn't take some vitamin E with your meal?

Fractality

I could do better at ingesting glycine and the other anti-inflammatory aminos when I eat meat. I used to eat collagen regularly but have strayed from that. Off I go to eat some beef tendons in Pho!

Glassy

And you didn't take some vitamin E with your meal?

I wish I could say that I had the presence of mind to take some when I got home but no I didn’t. In the scheme of things I didn’t have a whole lot of the chicken but it’s probably the most PUFA I’ve had in one sitting this year.

The whole night was unplanned and even when drunk I’m usually pretty good at avoiding fried food. I had no say in what was ordered and the chicken was far too tasty.

Jennifer

I wish I could say that I had the presence of mind to take some when I got home but no I didn’t. In the scheme of things I didn’t have a whole lot of the chicken but it’s probably the most PUFA I’ve had in one sitting this year.

The whole night was unplanned and even when drunk I’m usually pretty good at avoiding fried food. I had no say in what was ordered and the chicken was far too tasty.
Actually, I'm impressed. You let go and enjoyed yourself. I think it's healthy to allow ourselves that every now and then. :)

Aymen

for carbs : when i don't have money to buy a lot of fruits i eat starches , i well cook them so potatoes and white rice regularly and maybe oats once in a while or pasta ..
for protein : i eat fish and chicken once in a while.
fats : sometimes whole milk.

Ulysses

I do daily aerobic exercise. I just feel like ***t if I don't.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals