What's Your Biggest Frustration With Your Health/ 'Peat Lifestyle' Right Now?

J

James IV

My frustration is the idea that there is a "Peat Lifestyle." From what I have read, and discussed with Peat, he doesn't follow any specific "lifestyle" other than trying to avoid pufas.
The man has very specific recommendations to cure a damaged metabolism quickly. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think you should follow the healing protocol for the rest of your life.

scarlettsmum

Fear of gaining weight. Gained 20 lbs on Matt Stone and since it went sort of everywhere and I'm still not overweight I sort of accept it. But the thought of gaining more just freaks me out. I just worry about experimenting with food for fear of putting on weight. Some people on here gained from eating sugar, others from starch, gluten. I want to drink milk and OJ but that's a lot of extra calories on top of other foods. I wish I could replace some solid calories with liquid, but it just doesn't fill me up, so I end up eating eggs with bread as well as juice. Whereas before I would have tea or some other low cal beverage with my lunch/breakfast/dinner. I would be happier to experiment if I knew the consequences.

PeatThemAll

scarlettsmum said:
Fear of gaining weight. Gained 20 lbs on Matt Stone and since it went sort of everywhere and I'm still not overweight I sort of accept it. But the thought of gaining more just freaks me out. I just worry about experimenting with food for fear of putting on weight. Some people on here gained from eating sugar, others from starch, gluten. I want to drink milk and OJ but that's a lot of extra calories on top of other foods. I wish I could replace some solid calories with liquid, but it just doesn't fill me up, so I end up eating eggs with bread as well as juice. Whereas before I would have tea or some other low cal beverage with my lunch/breakfast/dinner. I would be happier to experiment if I knew the consequences.

Same here, except it's mostly fear of endotoxin. My gut's never been the same since my appendectomy, which I'm pretty sure started because of super high stress + tons of starch (via sushi) + not knowing about RP or PUFAs at that time. Took me 2 years to get back to average digestion (food range wise) but each time I'm careless I pay for it.

supercoolguy

Peata said:
post 101042 I think it's a good idea, and not the first time it's been brought up. Below is part of a post from four months ago where member Haidut suggested something similar that never really got addressed beyond that, and hopefully he won't mind me placing some of it below. From this thread: A Reply to Ray Peat on Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency

"...If somebody still doubts Ray's points I challenge you to simply go through my posts from the beginning of my membership and simply skim through them. I have posted studies from all over the world, from people not even remotely related to Peat's work, mostly confirming his views, often DECADES after the man expressed them! Also, keep in mind that I simply posted them as things came through the news naturally. So, it's not like I went searching for those things for a few weeks and amassed a pro-Peat collection from the news archives.

I think it is high time for the main section of the forum to move on to more practical questions such as the effects of specific diet (always low in PUFA) on specific biomakers of health for specific individuals. The main goal of the forum should be (IMHO) to help people solve their specific problem, and not so much debate whether Ray has a point or not. The debate probably still has some merits but it is better served by being moved to the "Alternatives" to Peat section. The man is right, get over it! The much BIGGER point here is HOW to take his generally correct ideas and turn them into actionable steps that work for everybody. Another big question would be why some people seem to not be improving on Peat diet. So, things that will have to be addressed are potential chronic infections, nutritional deficiencies, inflammation, etc.
I don't have a solid solution to this issue yet, but I think we can benefit from creating a database of sorts similar to the graphic from the website FPS where they have two sections - "Efficient Metabolism", and "Non-Efficient Metabolism". Then they have a decent list of both foods and supplements that promote or inhibit the proper metabolism. We have collectively posted enough studies on this forum to build a sizeable repository of helpful interventions. Incidentally, this will have the added benefit that once you stat seeing the interplay of nutrients, metabolism, health, and specific conditions you will quickly see and understand for yourself not only that Ray is right about 99% of his stuff, but why he is right. When you see the antagonism between things like niacinamide and resveratrol you will understand that only one of the two can be beneficial for the organism as a supplement. Combining this knowledge with the failed clinical trials of resveratrol and the success of niacinamide in a number of conditions, you will have no choice but to agree with Peat, at least in principle. And when you see how estrogenic resveratrol is, you will agree with Peat on his ideas about estrogen as well. And when you see how estrogen promotes cortisol, serotonin, and prolactin and the havoc that they wreak then you will have to agree with Peat on those issues too. Anyways, you get my point.
I think there will also be a great interest in creating a section for specific conditions that people struggle with and what supplements/drugs may be helpful. This will probably create a huge influx of visitors to the site, but will also draw attention from FDA. So, it has to be handled very very carefully as to not suggest treatments or diagnosis. Simply a list of studies on supplements/drugs, condition, effectiveness, dosage, duration, etc...."
Well said...So True, While ive been struggling to get traction on my issues, BUT I believe this is the right arena! It just needs to become more coherent and actionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xisca

I had gotten rid of gas, and they are back...
And for the 1st time in my life I have some fat on my belly... before my muscles are back! grrrrrrrr

Xisca

Nearly 1 year ago...
no other answer?
And the brainstorming idea was good!

I can add that I have some different fat than before: orange peel!
It happened the same to a friend, and she said she could relate it to coconut oil.
Then @Ella says this comes from carotene not converted to vitamine A.
As this problem comes from liver, I told myself that I had much lowered my olive oil intake, and that I should take more, and bingo, just with very few days of orange juice and olive oil in the morning + olive oil dressing with bitter greens, my stools and my right side are muuuuuch better!
Fat is not only about FA....

Then, my sleep: it was good and it is no more.

Then my energy: I cannot keep energy without having to eat many times a day, even with fruits.
And it did not even solve the hot flash problem... that started when I had added sugar to my diet. Before this, I had had only a little during 1 month and then it was gone for 2 or 3 years.

So I have a problem to replenish glycogene stores since I cut back on fats.

I also like meat less than before, and I am planning to increase it and take HCl more.

Broken man

I am using alot of pills and my family dont like it. I was unable to go out without all supps but I reduce it to 1 now. I gained some weight around middle and this diet is not practical and very expensive for me.

Xisca

My frustration is that op's idea was good, and the idea to organize the forum to go forward instead of making loops and answering the same questions with the same answers was good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals