Just a week-long break from social media alleviates anxiety and depression

haidut

Forum Supporter
I don't think this study will come as a surprise to my readers, but it still helps to have some peer-reviewed evidence confirming what many people intuitively sense, yet are afraid to verbalize due to FOMO or being ostracized - i.e. social media, and digitization in general, is a bane on human consciousness and its effects actually go well beyond mental health. With chronic (over)usage social media can activate the serotonergic system and slowly turn most people into autistic psychopaths, who are much more willing to turn on each other than fight the elite that rules over all of us.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/cyber.2021.0324
"...“Social media detox” is a buzzword we’ve come across far too often; many of us have, perhaps, jumped on this bandwagon too. According to a new study, taking the “detox”-route isn’t just a faux wellness fad. Turns out, it is scientifically proven to promote our wellbeing and reduce the depression and anxiety many of us have learned to live with post-2020. Published in Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, the study based its findings on an analysis of the social media behaviors of 154 participants aged between 18 and 72, who reported spending an average of eight hours every week on social media. They were divided into two groups — one that took a week-long break from social media, and one that didn’t. Prior to the division, the researchers assessed their mental health. After the experiment concluded, the participants who had abstained from social media noticed significant improvements in anxiety, depression, and general mental wellbeing. On the other hand, the group that had continued using social media, as usual, didn’t experience any comparable positive outcomes. “Many of our participants reported positive effects from being off social media with improved mood and less anxiety overall… This suggests that even just a small break can have an impact,” said Jeffrey Lambert, first author of the study, and lecturer in health and exercise psychology at the University of Bath."

"...Explaining how social media is anxiety-inducing and taking a break from it can be helpful, it adds, “Social media is a way for people to prove how successful, pretty, likable, or confident they are, and sometimes that creates competition in terms of how many likes, views, or comments they get. This situation can lead to constant posting, checking, and… worrying. Taking a step back from that routine can give [people] the time to relax and break this toxic cycle.” The “cycle,” in question, is one that spins tirelessly. Over the years, we’ve become so accustomed to the state of affairs that we barely even notice it spin anymore — even though we’re pedaling it ourselves. “Scrolling social media is so ubiquitous that many of us do it almost without thinking from the moment we wake up to when we close our eyes at night,” Lambert noted."

Definitely true. Life in general seemed easier to tolerate and I started to become more aware how most people are plain zombies.
If someone wants to feel even more free, a basic phone is the solution, without the overstimulation of the dopamine system you can become in peace with yourself.

Makrosky

Definitely true. Life in general seemed easier to tolerate and I started to become more aware how most people are plain zombies.
If someone wants to feel even more free, a basic phone is the solution, without the overstimulation of the dopamine system you can become in peace with yourself.
One very simple trick is setting your smartphone screen to b&w. This change alone makes it so unappealing to use it that forces you to detox. I had intense withdrawal symptoms when I did it.

I'm.No.One

Unless your living is directly tied to social media, a week long break is then met with punishment for not being hyper interactive/creating content to drive support.

It's a catch 22 & the AI knows if you use a scheduler for posting so will bury those posts & depending on your account size can actually ban you for breaking community standards via scheduling posts.

But if I had to guess the article is more directed at people who are on there just to doom scroll versus working.

Makrosky

Unless your living is directly tied to social media, a week long break is then met with punishment for not being hyper interactive/creating content to drive support.

It's a catch 22 & the AI knows if you use a scheduler for posting so will bury those posts & depending on your account size can actually ban you for breaking community standards via scheduling posts.

But if I had to guess the article is more directed at people who are on there just to doom scroll versus working.
Jesus christ... so they really want you hooked to the screen either as a content creator or as a content consumer.

I'm.No.One

Jesus christ... so they really want you hooked to the screen either as a content creator or as a content consumer.
Yeah it's bad. I've tried for years to find a balance that didn't end up getting me punished/helped with online fatigue.

The best I'm able to do is basically follow no one/no hashtags (Instagram is my main platform) so there's nothing to scroll really & then have a 2 page long blocked word/phrase list that keeps a handle on trolls in my massive comment sections.

Honestly I think what's the most exhausting is having to hyper monitor what I say so the SJW don't try to burn me alive (my accounts are extremely large) if I happen to say offensive things like "woman" when referring to anything.

My dream one day is to delete all social media apps from my life & I'll tell you right now if it wasn't directly linked to how I solely support my family I would.

Lizb

I think I am. Can't put the damn thing down.

..... always looking for that thing that'll change my health
.....the thing that'll stop world craziness.
..... give me my freedom
And it's a distraction for me I think.

-Luke-

Went back to an old Nokia dumb phone last year. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Dean

I've never had a Facebook page or "Twitted.". I did use AOL a lot back in the day. I'm thinking about pulling the plug on even using Internet/computers, outside of what's required at work.

I'm also thinking of making this, my first smart phone also the last. Back to the flip phone.

So, Haidut, better start printing out mail order catalogues or contracting a call center in the Philippines to take orders for you if you want to keep my business. Lol.

Really, it is giving up the specialty products (non-Amazon), which I've grown accustomed to ordering, that is probably the only thing keeping me from pulling said plug.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals