Isn't Acceptance Of Death An Evolutionary/biological Imprisonment?

I notice that some people in general -- or maybe especially people when they get old enough -- start to accept the idea of dying/"prepare" for it.

I wonder really if it's the acceptance of dying that makes one reach a place where death is more likely or not, even if that might at first sound a bit dumb or such since control of living might not only be internal in every case.

A lot of people "learn to accept death" as inevitable -- or at least never realistically believe there's a chance to escape it continuously.

Did anyone not wonder if this is literally the idea of confinement? Evolutionary imprisonment in a sense? By accepting it you are preparing yourself mentally for it to happen like it will as a mandatory process. Like a hamster is stuck in a cage and sees no escape while running on that wheel, do you see escape from the very sense of you ceasing to exist? The mind is very powerful -- more than what many give it credit for. I just get the sense that anyone who accepts the idea of death at the same point and reaches a sort of "peace" with it and acceptance is kind of locking their mortality down to a form of "slow-grammed" death or release (many ways of looking at this, but I think the idea would resonate well enough). I mean think about it when you reach elderly age and have accepted death: What more is there to do? You keep living, sure, but have already conceded with the apparent inevitable that's closing in. Mindset is so underrated because many people might not have the emotional intelligence or non-polarized/free enough thinking to completely change their minds about life and death as "not a rule" or etc. I'm not saying you can will yourself to live forever alone, but perhaps acceptance of one dying -- even if they don't want to -- isn't the best way to concede and/or barter your existence/energy away "just because."

Maybe some aspects to the whole "programmed cell death" hold true if we look at it this way from the scope of the organism's means of maintaining or improving health, along with their mentality or reasoning behind their very purpose/meaning as a driving force to strongly continue living as a whole by trying to "break the rules" in ways. With the sense of no purpose you could see the idea of one ending their own life by force even if that body may have never died otherwise with purpose.

We're all here & aware that it's possible to live forever in theory/some ways at least. The awareness ability of such a grand & universal concept makes you immediately wonder whether or not we -- having these means & having reached this point -- should simply concede with the idea of a formulated, time-constrained existence.

How can we grow beyond the rules of our universal or self-imposed limitations if we concede with them?

Live, reproduce, die -- this boils life down to just an inescapable cycle of limitations & rules. Is this really the ultimate idea of "freedom" as is, unchanged & largely accepted?

EDIT: Also I maybe posted this in an unsuited category vs. other better alternatives I suppose I could have.

Last edited:

lampofred

I don't know about dying but I think maybe people accept aging as completely predetermined without considering that there might be toxins in the environment that are greatly accelerating it.

Waynish

Not everyone. There are people who aren't scared of dying. They still prepare, but why? Maybe because the soul does exist.

TheSir

Interesting thought. I'm 26 and I have already processed and accepted my eventual death, as if I didn't have most of life in front of me. In some ways, doing so has made me a more modest person. I'm not interested in achieving much. Rather, I just exist peacefully and do my own thing, while being aware of the fact that I could die whenever due to sickness, accident or predetermined fate.

Now that I think of it, if I viewed myself as someone to whom death would not be a relevant concern, I would paradoxically be more daring about my life. To many others, it's the looming death that makes them want to experience as much as possible. In my case it only makes me want to calm down and detach from anything else but the quietness of the present moment.

Kingpinguin

I notice that some people in general -- or maybe especially people when they get old enough -- start to accept the idea of dying/"prepare" for it.

I wonder really if it's the acceptance of dying that makes one reach a place where death is more likely or not, even if that might at first sound a bit dumb or such since control of living might not only be internal in every case.

A lot of people "learn to accept death" as inevitable -- or at least never realistically believe there's a chance to escape it continuously.

Did anyone not wonder if this is literally the idea of confinement? Evolutionary imprisonment in a sense? By accepting it you are preparing yourself mentally for it to happen like it will as a mandatory process. Like a hamster is stuck in a cage and sees no escape while running on that wheel, do you see escape from the very sense of you ceasing to exist? The mind is very powerful -- more than what many give it credit for. I just get the sense that anyone who accepts the idea of death at the same point and reaches a sort of "peace" with it and acceptance is kind of locking their mortality down to a form of "slow-grammed" death or release (many ways of looking at this, but I think the idea would resonate well enough). I mean think about it when you reach elderly age and have accepted death: What more is there to do? You keep living, sure, but have already conceded with the apparent inevitable that's closing in. Mindset is so underrated because many people might not have the emotional intelligence or non-polarized/free enough thinking to completely change their minds about life and death as "not a rule" or etc. I'm not saying you can will yourself to live forever alone, but perhaps acceptance of one dying -- even if they don't want to -- isn't the best way to concede and/or barter your existence/energy away "just because."

Maybe some aspects to the whole "programmed cell death" hold true if we look at it this way from the scope of the organism's means of maintaining or improving health, along with their mentality or reasoning behind their very purpose/meaning as a driving force to strongly continue living as a whole by trying to "break the rules" in ways. With the sense of no purpose you could see the idea of one ending their own life by force even if that body may have never died otherwise with purpose.

We're all here & aware that it's possible to live forever in theory/some ways at least. The awareness ability of such a grand & universal concept makes you immediately wonder whether or not we -- having these means & having reached this point -- should simply concede with the idea of a formulated, time-constrained existence.

How can we grow beyond the rules of our universal or self-imposed limitations if we concede with them?

Live, reproduce, die -- this boils life down to just an inescapable cycle of limitations & rules. Is this really the ultimate idea of "freedom" as is, unchanged & largely accepted?

EDIT: Also I maybe posted this in an unsuited category vs. other better alternatives I suppose I could have.

i dont understand where you get that notion from. I doubt old people accept death. Not at least if you are enjoying life. But enjoying life in that age aint always the easiest. How old are you yourself? Even close to 70? If not then how can you know how its like to live for that long? I mean if you could live forever and never die would you want to? You likely get bored of this planet right? How do you know that old people aint a bit bored of life? If youre bored you probably dont care anymore if you live more or die now. On top of that like i said if your not enjoying yourself? Maybe your wife died tou loved your whole life. Your soul mate. You gonna keep on without her? Sure easy to say it would be the thing she wanted to but it doesnt mean thats what you wanna do. Your friends around you die aswell. Eventually you feel in your body soon its your turn. You have aches and you walk slow etc. I feel its pretty normal to not care if you die at that point. Maybe you have kids that doesnt care for you the same anyway. They start thinking your a burden. Or you have become forgotfull and when they visit you, you are just repeating same old same old. Its not so easy. But sure could you inject an old person with some testosterone, dhea and other youth steroids get them on a dopamine booster. Fix them up so that they would feel strong, young and energetic. I think most old people wouldnt wanna die anymore at that point if they had the energy to continue live a good 40 years more. But is it possible? When you say accept? Do you mean its all in their head? And that they should just think yeah lets do this lets try our best to keep living for another 30 years. Or yeah im gonna live everyday like its my last untill the day i die. Well spent time. Can you say you are doing that now? Are you fullfilling your dreams everyday or are you chillin and procrastinating? People have different ways to enjoy their lives. Some people prefer to enjoy it by taking it easy and chillin out. Some people wanna do as much as possible before they die. Whos to say whats right and whats wrong? Whats healthy behaviour?

OP
MetabolicTrash
i dont understand where you get that notion from. I doubt old people accept death. Not at least if you are enjoying life. But enjoying life in that age aint always the easiest. How old are you yourself? Even close to 70? If not then how can you know how its like to live for that long? I mean if you could live forever and never die would you want to? You likely get bored of this planet right? How do you know that old people aint a bit bored of life? If youre bored you probably dont care anymore if you live more or die now. On top of that like i said if your not enjoying yourself? Maybe your wife died tou loved your whole life. Your soul mate. You gonna keep on without her? Sure easy to say it would be the thing she wanted to but it doesnt mean thats what you wanna do. Your friends around you die aswell. Eventually you feel in your body soon its your turn. You have aches and you walk slow etc. I feel its pretty normal to not care if you die at that point. Maybe you have kids that doesnt care for you the same anyway. They start thinking your a burden. Or you have become forgotfull and when they visit you, you are just repeating same old same old. Its not so easy. But sure could you inject an old person with some testosterone, dhea and other youth steroids get them on a dopamine booster. Fix them up so that they would feel strong, young and energetic. I think most old people wouldnt wanna die anymore at that point if they had the energy to continue live a good 40 years more. But is it possible? When you say accept? Do you mean its all in their head? And that they should just think yeah lets do this lets try our best to keep living for another 30 years. Or yeah im gonna live everyday like its my last untill the day i die. Well spent time. Can you say you are doing that now? Are you fullfilling your dreams everyday or are you chillin and procrastinating? People have different ways to enjoy their lives. Some people prefer to enjoy it by taking it easy and chillin out. Some people wanna do as much as possible before they die. Whos to say whats right and whats wrong? Whats healthy behaviour?

Wow, that became a diatribe. But I don't disagree with you exactly -- more so have a different way of looking at existence I guess.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Interesting thought. I'm 26 and I have already processed and accepted my eventual death, as if I didn't have most of life in front of me. In some ways, doing so has made me a more modest person. I'm not interested in achieving much. Rather, I just exist peacefully and do my own thing, while being aware of the fact that I could die whenever due to sickness, accident or predetermined fate.

Now that I think of it, if I viewed myself as someone to whom death would not be a relevant concern, I would paradoxically be more daring about my life. To many others, it's the looming death that makes them want to experience as much as possible. In my case it only makes me want to calm down and detach from anything else but the quietness of the present moment.

Interesting way of looking at things!

Kingpinguin

Also how we live forever? Legacy? If you would stretch back as far as we know the universe existed till today and imagine that as 1 calender year. Humanity as we know it has only existed 1 second of that whole year. Every war, every leader, from the first homosapien till now. Only 1 second. The last second before new year eve. The next second we likely be extinct. Look at the dinosaurs. Our lives are unimaginally meaningless in that sense. But meaning is a human invention in the first place. You decide the meaning of your life. Just like what i said earlier time is also just a human invention to describe something from point A to B. Like death. Tho it doesnt have to mean time is true in a sense. Just a concept and a thought. It could just be all space. Thats what it is. existing.

Kingpinguin

Wow, that became a diatribe. But I don't disagree with you exactly -- more so have a different way of looking at existence I guess.

its not a diatribe against you. Was just expressing how i believe a lot of people feel. Everyone is different some are simple minded and some are complex. None is correct. How do you percieve existance? I’ve had many thoughts but eventually i realized philosophic thinking is counterproductive for what i want to achieve in my life. I want to play by the rules of society and then opposing society with grander thinking will just make you hesitate

Waynish

Sure, but while calming is a proper preparation for death - so can gaining experience... So I don't think you are "not interested in achieving much" because you've processed death - but because it may be right for you. There are people who, while processing death, must do something first, for example.

somuch4food

I was fearing death before and was focus on doing the "healthy things" that would lead me to a long life. However, I have come that a long life not enjoyed is not worth living and so, I have stopped trying to do everything to get a better future and started to search for ways to be able to live the present like I want.

I have accepted that I will die some day and I prefer a short joyful life to a long lifeless one. I believe joy is found in the little things and I have also stopped looking for success and perfection.

LeeLemonoil

But to stress and obsess about not wanting to die is a decline promoter itself too. I’ve seen sick and old people making their peace with demise and deriving strength and calm from that. Death might just be a evolutionary coincidence, not a necessary occurrence. But what if the day comes that by therapies, implants and so forth a human may attain undieability (not immortality since he can still be actively killed).
The really Rich and powerful will hold that Privilege. And they would guard that power and their life like nothing before. It’s the gravest dystopia.

MK-4x33

This is gold.

Acceptance of the fact that the cosmic illusion is temporary eventually leads to a new appreciation for the illusion and the fragility of our own existence. We observe the lilies of the field and learn from them how to live. We are spectral, alien beings who assign qualitative variables to all the things that arise from the eternal nothingness/everything that is us, that we are born from and return to. Products of our own imagination, the One universal conscience. I believe through discipline of the mind and body we can tap into all these realms that are beyond logical comprehension. The realm of heaven is within us.

OP
MetabolicTrash
The really Rich and powerful will hold that Privilege. And they would guard that power and their life like nothing before. It’s the gravest dystopia.

I don't believe there's anything of any "secrecy" that even the richest/most powerful know of or have access to that even the poorest of "peasants" wouldn't have any chance at obtaining/conceiving. The difference with culture as time has proceeded is that now the "world of difference" between the "rich culture" and the "poor culture" is has disappeared greatly. Nowadays the "rich" or "powerful" are just the same as the "poor" or "powerless" with the only difference being who has a bigger bank/broker account, flashier clothes maybe, disposable income, etc.

In the older days the poor would be limited in their reach of knowledge, resourcefulness, etc. (it wasn't likely just about the fiat-ness of paper tender, but more so a literal world of difference I'd think in terms of social and informational acquirement). Nowadays there's nothing even the richest could know/obtain that the poorest couldn't thanks to resources like the internet for one -- it all becomes more on the basis of action and choices/circumstances than unsurpassable social constraints dividing so-called "classes" of the upper-echelon lives and the peasant ones socially.

its not a diatribe against you. Was just expressing how i believe a lot of people feel. Everyone is different some are simple minded and some are complex. None is correct. How do you percieve existance? I’ve had many thoughts but eventually i realized philosophic thinking is counterproductive for what i want to achieve in my life. I want to play by the rules of society and then opposing society with grander thinking will just make you hesitate

How is philosophy counterproductive? I can't immediately think of any way in which some deeper thinking can impose limitations on one. I think it's mostly the mind that frees us in a sense -- so sometimes deeper thinking is a requirement for those in hard/tough places to make sense of the mess around them.

Everybody "plays by the rules" to some degree because it's both good for them likely and good for others, which might have a strong basis in a "self-serving nature." I don't think anyone too sensible is bound to want to destroy or oppose society, rules, laws, etc. at large -- that doesn't mean you can't reject many notions though and live your own way more than following every "social code." Yeah, overthinking can be bad, but I think the fine line is how you make sense of your own intuition maybe or thoughts. Some run through their thoughts in certain ways (for various reasons) and end up stuck in a crazy place of inaction or incomprehensible dictation or destruction -- the difference is what can lead one to maybe further understanding at times or annihilation of civilization as some who have gone too far in that "deep end" might wander when in a darker place mentally/hopeless/depressed/angry/etc. I guess it's where this "deep thinking" takes one that decides the benefit possibly at any given time.

LeeLemonoil

@ScurveDream
I think your opinion from your first paragraph are too optimistic, and your analysis of what constitutes the difference between the ruling classes and the rest is wrong.
Undieability, if ever achieved, will be the ultimate privilege. Itself only attained and developed by supercomputing and superior AI. These technologies will be guarded at all cost.

RWilly

I'm probably alone in my thoughts on this, but I often wonder why people fear death so much. Death seems peaceful to me, and freedom from the struggle. I'm certainly not advocating for death or have a death wish. Perhaps if I was religious, I'd be fearing death. I'm agnostic and don't have that 'after life/heaven/hell' outlook. I think this existence is just an illusion, and it's up to me to be in the moment, and be creative in my experience.

Last edited:

Kingpinguin

I don't believe there's anything of any "secrecy" that even the richest/most powerful know of or have access to that even the poorest of "peasants" wouldn't have any chance at obtaining/conceiving. The difference with culture as time has proceeded is that now the "world of difference" between the "rich culture" and the "poor culture" is has disappeared greatly. Nowadays the "rich" or "powerful" are just the same as the "poor" or "powerless" with the only difference being who has a bigger bank/broker account, flashier clothes maybe, disposable income, etc.

In the older days the poor would be limited in their reach of knowledge, resourcefulness, etc. (it wasn't likely just about the fiat-ness of paper tender, but more so a literal world of difference I'd think in terms of social and informational acquirement). Nowadays there's nothing even the richest could know/obtain that the poorest couldn't thanks to resources like the internet for one -- it all becomes more on the basis of action and choices/circumstances than unsurpassable social constraints dividing so-called "classes" of the upper-echelon lives and the peasant ones socially.

How is philosophy counterproductive? I can't immediately think of any way in which some deeper thinking can impose limitations on one. I think it's mostly the mind that frees us in a sense -- so sometimes deeper thinking is a requirement for those in hard/tough places to make sense of the mess around them.

Everybody "plays by the rules" to some degree because it's both good for them likely and good for others, which might have a strong basis in a "self-serving nature." I don't think anyone too sensible is bound to want to destroy or oppose society, rules, laws, etc. at large -- that doesn't mean you can't reject many notions though and live your own way more than following every "social code." Yeah, overthinking can be bad, but I think the fine line is how you make sense of your own intuition maybe or thoughts. Some run through their thoughts in certain ways (for various reasons) and end up stuck in a crazy place of inaction or incomprehensible dictation or destruction -- the difference is what can lead one to maybe further understanding at times or annihilation of civilization as some who have gone too far in that "deep end" might wander when in a darker place mentally/hopeless/depressed/angry/etc. I guess it's where this "deep thinking" takes one that decides the benefit possibly at any given time.

yeah agree. My point was. I live my own way. Do what I like to do. I don’t think or overthink. I acknowledge the world as it is. I’ve done my thinking and at least for me it does not lead somewhere. So I’m past that. I have one life here afaik. So I’m gonna enjoy it by doing the things I like to do. If thinking about philpsophy is what makes you or me happy yeah then I think about it. But I’ve done it already and I don’t get any satisfaction or feeling of knowledge, purpose or what not. It is what it is and I’m enjoying it. I don’t know anything else than this life so not like I feel like I’m missing out. I feel I’m more intelligent than the average bloke on the street without braging or anything. I still enjoy stupid stuff, I still like going to the movies or drinking beer with my buddies. Not thinking. No stress. Not thinking about and just doing what makes you happy is also philosophy. Jerking of to porn can be philosophy in a sense that if the person decides that that is what he wants to do and feels gives him most out of life to pursue and come to a certain realization jerking off is above everything. Whos to deny anybody that. Philosophy is thinking about life. But your life can be what ever you want it to be. One persons destruction can be another persons favorite thing of all time. I don’t wanna read some already made up philosophy by some dead dude or what not. I make my own philosophy. Same with culture. In our society we are thought to perserve the past culture and traditions. Well arent we supposed to make new cultures and traditions for future generations. Just go about your life do your own thing. Create your own culture, traditions and philosophy.

GelatinGoblin

Death isn't as real as it seems.

To go along with the rest of the posts I find flirting with "death" to be counterproductive and that it inhibits thriving.

tankasnowgod

Did anyone not wonder if this is literally the idea of confinement? Evolutionary imprisonment in a sense?

Personally, I haven't thought of death as "confinement," not since I ever really faced it, when my Father died. I actually think the opposite. If we never died, we would be confined to this planet/plane forever. That doesn't seem like a great fate.

I think we have abilities and potential that far exceeds what we can even imagine at the moment. If we developed the ability to jump to different planes/times/worlds/universes at will, well, then maybe death wouldn't be necessary. I think that will happen, maybe within our lifetime, though I would not be surprised if it was more likely a few thousand years down the road. Although, if the great awaking is really happening right now..... maybe a matter of months?

But no, I don't see death as imprisonment..... literally the opposite. It's our get out of jail free card.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals