Very Low Protein Intake

Nstocks

I've been tracking my foods for a week on cron-o-meter and as I suspected, I'm eating extremely low protein.

I've been awake for 5 hours and so far have consumed 15g of protein! I'm putting together some of my issues, mainly water retention, tiredness and bloating where low protein could be the culprit.

So, the question is, how could I intake a LOT more protein from dairy, without drinking litres of milk OR having fermented dairy? Seems impossible and I know dairy isn't the only protein source but I'd prefer that over meat right now. Greek yogurt (Fage) gives me gas and further constipates me. Standard yogurt is slightly easier to digest but there's not much more protein in that than milk (and I prefer goat milk).

Perhaps making my own greek yogurt could help somehow?

OP
N

Nstocks

That's an option but I can't stand the taste! Gelatine doesn't digest well with me. At all.

aquaman

You can do organic skim milk powder pancakes.

I put a recipe up somehwhere here, will try to find it.

But roughly it's 1 cup skim milk powder, 1/3rd cup skim milk, 1 egg, a few tablespoons of sugar, blend them up and slowly fry in a pan in some coconut oil

It's 36grams protein per 100grams - so a cup is around 80grams of protein!

You can easily get 40 grams of protein, and a lot of carbs, for breakfast.

OP
N

Nstocks

aquaman said:
You can do organic skim milk powder pancakes.

I put a recipe up somehwhere here, will try to find it.

But roughly it's 1 cup skim milk powder, 1/3rd cup skim milk, 1 egg, a few tablespoons of sugar, blend them up and slowly fry in a pan in some coconut oil

It's 36grams protein per 100grams - so a cup is around 80grams of protein!

You can easily get 40 grams of protein, and a lot of carbs, for breakfast.

This could work, thanks :D

OP
N

Nstocks

Zachs said:
Drink more milk you wuss!

:D

I would if I didn't look 6 months pregnant! :lol:

In fact, I actually probably drink less than one litre liquid in total now... 500ml fresh OJ with baking powder and the rest in milk. I don't even eat fresh fruit anymore to keep liquids down (and because 90% of fresh fruit, other than oranges suck in the UK)

Zachs

Yea id stay away from most fresh fruit too. 95% is unripe. So you eat a lot of starch? Is your goat milk skimmed and or raw?

OP
N

Nstocks

I try to keep starch low too. I don't eat potatoes or hardly any grains. Occasionally eat rice and bananas which are main starches for me (What do I eat?! A fair amount of calories is sugar from chocolates and candy) Goat milk is semi skimmed and pasteurised - raw is far too expensive and doesn't sit any different with me.

pboy

milk is best, lowfat or 1%, but greek yogurt and cottage cheese or farmers cheese are second best, followed by cheese. Its all about being able to get enough protein from dairy with some fat still but not too much to overcome your bodies PUFA barrier, or just to avoid gastric acid feeligns from too much fat. Milk has the best calcium phosphorus ratio, then cheese, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are more like an exact 1:1 or even negative in favor of phosphorus so they aren't as good, also have a hint less iodine and potassium and some b vitamins

yea that sucks zachs, ive known that for years (about the fruit). I used to work at a health food store that has the best fruit supply in the city I live in and it was a shame, ton of fruit on display, almost all of it inedible. Oranges are the only thing that is relatively consistent, and pears are alright cause they ripen off the tree but sometimes I have to wait like a week or more. Some other stuff like kiwi, mango, get semi ripe, more just soften, but are almost never ripe available. Bananas obviously ripen off tree too. Everything else you can bet is underripe and wont change from the time you buy it. Oh I guess some high quality like the heirloom tomatoes are also sometimes ripe. Id say in the past no joke 4-5 years of shopping at that place, ive got a total of about 10-20 actual ripe fruit (besides orange) and even with those I had to wait a few days from purchase. One time they had local peaches organically grown, and they were actually ripe I guess nearly off the tree...it was such an eye opening experience but bad for them cause it opened my eyes...it was so juicy the skin nearly burst and it wasn't like eating a peach, it almost was like juice with some fiber on the inside and was so energizing...I also got a few apricots like that. It was a big time eye opener and I was like holy ***t tahts how a peach is supposed to be...then what is all this other stuff? I don't even try buying melons or most other things these days because its a waste of money, a lot are duds. And the problem with fruit also is that if it isn't ripe its actually gastrically irritating, its a fine line, between dope energizing and draggin down energy with fruit. I guess its just its nature, you gotta be close to the source or you don't really have a chance...other than orange, banana, pear...really that's pretty much it, sometimes a mango or kiwi will get decent but its like a 50 50 chance or less, and theyre expensive. Its a good thing milk and sugar exist or people would be effed in terms of clean calories...and even most of the milk is tainted in some way shape or form. Its like people have forgot how to live man, they don't even realize that the foundation of everything is food quality and availability, and there is literall almost no good food available in a city of more than a million....maybe like 30-40 people a day can actually eat 100%, or close to that, good. This is why I don't blame a lot of people, I mean more people should wake up and demand quality, but with such overwhelming odds most people cant even think about it or don't want to, and a lot of woman just buy stuff without thinking about it to feed their kids and family and give gifts and stuff, its part of culture and nature but in the past they never had to worry about the things we do today. Its sad, it hurts me to see people trying to be nice with food and creating that loving family atmosphere yet I know in the back of my mind the food is mostly bad for people, almost all the time (better than nothing I guess but still unacceptable in my eyes...I mean pesticides? come on)...I digress

tara

I've been making homemade fresh cheese for months with vinegar. I don't love it by itself, but I really like it turned into cheesecake by adding egg, sugar, lemon juice and salt, and baking it.
Then last month I got some animal gut rennet, and made my cheese with that. It was DELICIOUS. In fact, much more like the taset of the original milk, but better and more concentrated. It had longer wait time in making it than the vinegar version, but not much more complicated.
I've tried various ways to add skim milk powder to things, but my system doesn't seem to be happy with it, unfortunately. If yours likes it, aquaman's pancakes are a great idea, and you can add milk powder to quite a few other things too.
Or condensed milk. Did you see the brigadeiro recipe?

Zachs

Pboy i agree 100% and why its my lifetime goal to move to hawaii and grow my own fruit.

I also work in the produce department of an upscale grocery store and the fruit is a disgrace. Way overpriced and its almost impossible to get ripe fruit. I same everything and most is tasteless and very irritating to the mouth and throat. I feel bad for the people that buy it and its why most people dont even like fruit, because they have never eaten a good piece of ripe fruit. Even in season, fruit is hit and miss and everything we carry is organic so that means the farmers no nothing of building up and mineralizing soil and picking when ripe, although thats because fruit spoils so quickly. I have had inoy a handful of excellent mangos, peachs, gauvas and pineapple. Most i wont ear except when its citrus season. Its sad.

nikotrope

I agree with pboy and Zachs. Ripe fruits are so good but impossible to find. The best fruits I ate were in Japan, but it's 10$ for a peach and 200$ for a mango or a melon...

aquaman

Zachs said:
Yea id stay away from most fresh fruit too. 95% is unripe. So you eat a lot of starch? Is your goat milk skimmed and or raw?

I find stewing the fruits with sugar helps (breaks down the starch). Also removes water content.

lindsay

pboy said:
yea that sucks zachs, ive known that for years (about the fruit). I used to work at a health food store that has the best fruit supply in the city I live in and it was a shame, ton of fruit on display, almost all of it inedible. Oranges are the only thing that is relatively consistent, and pears are alright cause they ripen off the tree but sometimes I have to wait like a week or more. Some other stuff like kiwi, mango, get semi ripe, more just soften, but are almost never ripe available. Bananas obviously ripen off tree too. Everything else you can bet is underripe and wont change from the time you buy it. Oh I guess some high quality like the heirloom tomatoes are also sometimes ripe. Id say in the past no joke 4-5 years of shopping at that place, ive got a total of about 10-20 actual ripe fruit (besides orange) and even with those I had to wait a few days from purchase. One time they had local peaches organically grown, and they were actually ripe I guess nearly off the tree...it was such an eye opening experience but bad for them cause it opened my eyes...it was so juicy the skin nearly burst and it wasn't like eating a peach, it almost was like juice with some fiber on the inside and was so energizing...I also got a few apricots like that. It was a big time eye opener and I was like holy s*** tahts how a peach is supposed to be...then what is all this other stuff? I don't even try buying melons or most other things these days because its a waste of money, a lot are duds. And the problem with fruit also is that if it isn't ripe its actually gastrically irritating, its a fine line, between dope energizing and draggin down energy with fruit. I guess its just its nature, you gotta be close to the source or you don't really have a chance...other than orange, banana, pear...really that's pretty much it, sometimes a mango or kiwi will get decent but its like a 50 50 chance or less, and theyre expensive. Its a good thing milk and sugar exist or people would be effed in terms of clean calories...and even most of the milk is tainted in some way shape or form. Its like people have forgot how to live man, they don't even realize that the foundation of everything is food quality and availability, and there is literall almost no good food available in a city of more than a million....maybe like 30-40 people a day can actually eat 100%, or close to that, good. This is why I don't blame a lot of people, I mean more people should wake up and demand quality, but with such overwhelming odds most people cant even think about it or don't want to, and a lot of woman just buy stuff without thinking about it to feed their kids and family and give gifts and stuff, its part of culture and nature but in the past they never had to worry about the things we do today. Its sad, it hurts me to see people trying to be nice with food and creating that loving family atmosphere yet I know in the back of my mind the food is mostly bad for people, almost all the time (better than nothing I guess but still unacceptable in my eyes...I mean pesticides? come on)...I digress

I became kind of obsessed with ripening fruit. Tricks I learned from my mom. Lots of things will ripen very nicely off the tree, you just need to know how to do it when it doesn't arrive fresh. For instance, peaches, pears, pineapples, mangoes - these will all ripen nicely off the tree. The key is a warm environment and a paper bag. Pineapple used to be one of my favorite fruits and you can never find them edible in the stores. So I would buy it, put it in a paper bag and incubate it in my car when it was warm outside (or you can do this inside). A few days and it's perfectly ripe and delicious. I used to buy champagne mangoes green and put them in a bag - in a few days, they are perfect and ready to eat!! Champagne mangoes are probably my favorite fruit because they make a great milk/mango smoothie. The taste is sweeter & less starchy tasting than regular mangoes. Now that it's winter where I live, it's harder to get good fruit, so I usually resort to Oranges, OJ and grapefruit. Also, it's usually pretty easy to find ripe grapes. But I'm lucky because I have a Wholefoods nearby - they definitely sell superior fruit than a conventional grocery store. Even the organic stuff at a conventional grocery store is not edible in comparison to what I can get at Wholefoods.

BingDing

The icelandic yogurt Skyr somehow manages to have a fairly high amount of protein, one brand in the US has 11.7g/100g of skyr. Two teaspoons of glycine has 8g, as does two teaspoons of taurine, if you use isolated aminos. I've always made a smoothie with milk but OJ might do.

OP
N

Nstocks

I bought some organic skimmed milk powder and had a go making pancakes...

One thing is for sure: A low temperature is vital otherwise it just burns. The texture was slightly rubbery which I did not expect and the taste was OK. I can probably do 3/4 cup milk powder with two eggs with honey/sugar but it's not quite as tasty as I was expecting.

I still need to find a way to hit 100g+ protein consistently which I struggle with... I tend to pin everything on one meal/food which isn't a good idea since variety is quite nice to have.

I might try cooked bananas, one egg and 1 cup milk powder, mostly for flavour, (I read organic bananas are ok - less stressful as long as they are cooked)

toddy

You could eat beans(17 grams protein per 100g, or Nuts and Seeds(33 grams protein per 100g). They're good source of protein.

tara

Hi Toddy,

toddy said:
You could eat beans(17 grams protein per 100g, or Nuts and Seeds(33 grams protein per 100g). They're good source of protein.
Peat says beans tend to provide inferior quality, difficult-to-digest protein. Are you aware that Peat and many of us here try to keep polyunsaturated fats as low as possible? Most nuts and seeds have a very high PUFA: protein ratio. You can't get much protein out of nuts without surpassing the 4g PUFA limit Peat says is protective. (Not to mention they have some anti-digestive chemicals, too.) Peat tends to favour animal proteins, esp milk, and potato protein (ideally without the fibre and starch, for peoople with copromised digestion).

Ray Peat said:
While nutritional reference tables often show fruits and potatoes as having about 2% protein content, while nuts, grains, and legumes are shown with a high protein content, often in the range of 15% to 40%, they neglect to point out that fruits and potatoes have a very high water content, while that of the seeds is extremely low. The protein content of milk is about 3%, which according to the charts would suggest that it is inferior to beans and grains. In fact, the protein value of grain is negligible, mainly because seeds contain their protein in a storage form, that is extremely rich in nitrogen, but poor in essential amino acids. Special preparation is needed to reduce the toxicity of seeds, and in the case of beans, these methods are never very satisfactory.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vegetables.shtml

He has a number of articles on his site that discuss the problems caused by unsaturated (ep. polyunsaturated) fats - here is one of them:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/un ... fats.shtml

I'd recommend reading Peat's articles and interviews - the interviews are a bit easier to start with - so you can build an understanding of what he's on about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals