High Protein Problems?

max219

Any potential problems from consuming too many grams of protein on a daily basis? I've been averaging over 200 grams a day. I am trying to eat a low fat diet (under 40 grams, sometimes under 30 grams), and if I want to eat around 3,000 calories with that low amount of fat I end up eating around 200 or more grams of protein a day (sometimes as high as 250). With mostly all other calories (around 500 grams) coming from mostly sugar an a little starch(fruit, OJ, milk, maple syrup/honey/sugar, white rice, coke), can this be problematic?

My sources of protein are mostly 1% cottage cheese (which I eat tons of, about 24-32 ounces a day), lean shellfish and fish, gelatin, 1% milk, sometimes low fat yogurt (I know not peat!!), daily egg, and occasionally beef or liver. I am an active male by the way, but not lifting at the moment (injured).

jaguar43

max219 said:
Any potential problems from consuming too many grams of protein on a daily basis? I've been averaging over 200 grams a day. I am trying to eat a low fat diet (under 40 grams, sometimes under 30 grams), and if I want to eat around 3,000 calories with that low amount of fat I end up eating around 200 or more grams of protein a day (sometimes as high as 250). With mostly all other calories (around 500 grams) coming from mostly sugar an a little starch(fruit, OJ, milk, maple syrup/honey/sugar, white rice, coke), can this be problematic?

My sources of protein are mostly 1% cottage cheese (which I eat tons of, about 24-32 ounces a day), lean shellfish and fish, gelatin, 1% milk, sometimes low fat yogurt (I know not peat!!), daily egg, and occasionally beef or liver. I am an active male by the way, but not lifting at the moment (injured).

Broda barnes said he need more thyroid when he ate high protein.

Mittir

RP recommends 80-100 grams of protein for hypothyroid people until thyroid is fixed.
cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan suppress thyroid function.
Only Gelatin is free of tryptophan and cysteine, and small amount of methionine.
He also mentioned sulfur from protein forms sulfuric acid in stomach.
He recommends higher protein intake for physically active person.
Its seems like if you have high metabolism then you can eat 200 grams of protein
if most of it comes from gelatine. He also mentioned that very active person needs
1 grams of protein per pound of weight.

OP
M

max219

Hmmm that's interesting. Today for example, according to cronometer, I ate 240 grams of protein. Cysteine was 1.4 grams, methionine was 2.4 grams, and tryptophan was 1.1 grams. Although if I add all the amino acids on cronometer, it equals 110. Maybe I am consuming more cysteine, methionine, and trytophan than I thought.

Would I be better off, if I want to keep fat low, lower protein to around 150 grams, and increase sugar and carbohydrate even more (to 600 or more grams). I feel like I'd lose weight if I don't eat over 2,500 just cause I walk and bike a lot, plus do a lot of body weight exercises throughout the day. I could maybe lose a bit of body fat, but I don't really want my metabolism to slow again.