Increased Protein Intake And Meal Frequency Reduces Abdominal Fat

Milky

Increased Protein Intake and Meal Frequency Reduces Abdominal Fat During Energy Balance and Energy Deficit
In summary, consuming increased amounts of dietary protein (35% vs. 15%), more often (six meals vs. three meals/day) decreased abdominal fat and increased postprandial thermogenesis and LBM compared to traditional dietary intakes of protein consumed as three meals/day. These results were achieved even though total kcals consumed was identical between groups for the entire 62-day study. Our data indicate, for the first time, that macronutrient composition (increased dietary protein), nutrient quality (low glycemic index and unprocessed carbohydrates), and frequency of eating (six times per day) is more important than total energy intake for overweight/obese men and women to reduce abdominal obesity and enhance postprandial thermogenesis.
The group that ate 35% of their calories as protein 6 times a day (25-32g at each meal according to the meal plan) lost more total body fat and abdominal fat AND actually gained lean body mass (LBM) compared to 2 other groups who ate 15% protein and 35% protein over 3 meals instead of 6. The 35% protein/3-meal a day group lost the most overall body weight, but that included some LBM loss.

I am currently doing a variation of this approach by eating a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt (Fage 0%) with fruit/honey 3 times a day in addition to my regular meals and I've been keeping fat at 50g a day or less, mostly from cheese and eggs. I also walk on the treadmill while watching Netflix for 45 min. to 1 hour a day 4-5 days a week and I do some lightweight high-rep strength training just 2 times a week. I started out January 15th at 231 lbs and am down to 216 lbs as of yesterday (I'm a 6'0" male btw), and feel like I've gained some muscle in the process as well, so I think it's working!

Last edited:

Elie

Forum Supporter
great insight. Did you reduce caloric intake?

mmartian

I've had some decent results with a scoop of whey protein in a morning shake -- noticed less water retention, especially in face/neck. After a few days it started to constipate me though, which affects my sleeping. Thinking of trying some casein protein to see if it has similar positive effects without the constipation. Anyone have any experience with protein powders and constipation?

Gascon

The question is : when you go upper than 90-100g, what do you get that BCAAS don't bring you ?

@ecstatichamster what fruits and how do you cook them? ive always wanted to try that since i love fruit but i prefer them raw because i feel it tastes better?
Frozen fruit I buy. Peaches mangoes tangerines blueberries cranberries

Add lots of sugar and roast in an oven at 320f. For maybe 90 minutes until completely soft.

Iceman2016

Magnesium and cascara should help. Also fruit. I eat a lot of cooked fruit.

What type of magnesium do recommend that isn't irritating to the stomach and can be taken in large quantities? I currently take magnesium citrate but can't have more than one capsule at a time. I've also heard that citrate isn't great for metabolic reasons.