Making Cottage Cheese With Goat Milk

Nstocks

I've attempted to make cottage cheese (or fresh cheese as it's called) using goat milk for my need of protein.

I used 2 litres of whole milk, 2 drops of rennet and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (incase anybody know these ratios off by heart!). The milk separated slightly into very soft curds, but after 23 hours it didn't set correctly - the curds fell straight through the strainer! I've looked into why this failed, and apparently it could be because the room was too cold.

Before I attempt a new batch, can anyone here advise me on wether the above measurements seems accurate. (goat milk is low in milk solids which can make it slightly difficult to get right). I'd really like to get a good supply going of this because I don't tolerate cow milk and desperately need cheap, clean protein.

J

j.

If you don't tolerate cow milk, what about farmers cheese from cow milk? I only have experience with cow milk, but hope somebody else helps you.

Xisca

I live in a place where they make fresh goat cheese, and it is done in less than an hour!
They use real animal rennet ONLY.
And a lot.
They get it from the baby goats stomach of less thann a week old, that never ate other food thaan mother's milk.
This cheese is very "heavy", they do not need container to keep in form, because it is very drained.

I might not solve your problemm if you cannot find this product....