Protein Sources (yep, That Question Again)

jyb

With eggs and meat or shellfish you should get a decent amount already. Then you can complete with gelatin and whatever dairy you tolerate. Have you tried non-hydrolyzate gelatin? That could be a lot cheaper than the great lakes green tin, and a few testimonials indicate that it's more potent than hydrolyzate. Try preparing a gummy bear type recipe, mixing gelatin in a bit of cold water, then dissolve in heated coke or fruit juice, then let it harden. If you let it cool in a mug, you get a jelly cake which you can then eat throughout the day.

OP
N

Nstocks

I only eat around 1lb of meat a week (beef, but will start making liver paté) and occasionally chicken breast with a couple of eggs a week.

I'll look at alternatives to GL non-hydrolyzate gelatine because the green tin seems to digest very well. Is 2-3 tablespoons with coffee overkill and is OJ on it's own ok after exercise? I'm somewhat in the mindset that I need a cleaner version of those disgusting protein bars - a quick go-to snack. . I looked at bulk buying Haribo but they aren't really ideal nor cost effective. Strangely, I can digest the gelatine in haribo better than I can the GL red tin. (But a bag of haribo contains very little protein)

jyb

Why not more eggs or steak? 2 eggs per week is nothing. Speaking for myself, 2-3 tablespoon of hydrolyzed gelatin digests fine. Keep in mind that the preparation matters for more for non-hydrolyzate, so it could be that you digest it actually fine if prepared like a gummy bear, or with some cooking somehow.

aquaman

Nstocks said:
Would a good quality powdered milk be any good for a 'dry' source of protein?

The guys on the Radio show "Ask Your Herb Doctor" recommend milk powder pancakes, and they have worked with the Doc for 5 years very closely.

OP
N

Nstocks

Can anyone in the UK recommend a protein powder, preferable not rice or cow product? I'm having a very hard time finding one with all the bul**** that comes when searching for a protein powder. OR if anyone knows where I can import GL green tin cheaply, I could use that. (It's around £12 in the states... £30 in the UK!)

I realise that these powders aren't the only source of protein, but it's quite impossible for me to get 100g per day without eating a ton of dairy or frequent meat. I'm going to make a bar with raisins, coconut oil, powder, honey, chocolate. Maybe rice krispies.

Thanks!

himsahimsa

Protein sources

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/high-quality-protein/

I use these guys. Pure protein products, no sweetener, no filler or flavor unless you deliberately include them, always fresh in sealed gas pack. They have unusual things like whey powder minus imunoglobins (which I mainly use) and casein powder and potato protein powder (very dense) and others.

Price per pound protein, including shipping (to Florida), is about the same or a little better than I pay for an equal weight of protein from factory farmed beef.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've been playing around with what I eat (and drink) and have decided to stop drinking all milk and instead use it to make cottage cheese. I've had some (cow) cottage cheese and now I have jawline acne, so I'm going to make goat cottage cheese myself.

Is rennet perfectly safe to use? Due to low solids in goat milk (around 10%), rennet is absolutely needed.

I'm thinking of buying either of these

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/cheese-rennet.html

OR

http://www.cheesemaking.co.uk/animal-re ... ml-gm-free

Is there any preference to the acid in cheese making? Lemon juice, white wine vinegar?

I'm also going to make live pate. The organic grass fed lambs liver is sold in 400g packs. Would this be too much to consume within a week? (I'd probably eat it on top of clicked cucumber, like a snack) I really need Vit A for my mild acne which I thought was gone :(

jyb

BioCare in the UK has a retinol supplement with minimal additives if you don't want to eat liver very often. Note that you could also have acne unrelated to vit A, like some digestive stress, or lack of zinc... If I don't digest something well, or the transit slows due to some stress, I expect acne even if I'm well nourished otherwise.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've got a bottle of Biocare Vit A, but I need to order meat anyway so I thought why not get some liver in too!

You're absolutely right about the acne - I've been battling with mine for 8 years and have experiences everything to try and clear it. (which is how I got into Paleo and now Peat)I was actually looking at zinc today (googling ray peat and acne)... I eat two tins of oysters (smoked which is around 20 oysters) a week and add dutch processed coco to my coffee which has some important minerals too. Perhaps I should eat more oysters? I don't think zinc supplements are very good from what I understand.

I'm also changing my topical cream. I currently use a snail serum which has olive oil and other natural ingredients (it's all organic and not full of junk) but the Vit E in olive oil can make skins cells shed too quickly... This along with not exfoliating too much could cause jawline acne.... I've bought a baby brush for better exfoliation and a different snail serum (lighter) that is 99% snail extract! In my experience, removing all topicals makes my skin even drier and irritated. Snail serum is highly compatible with human skin and is the only thing I use.

Peata

Check the smoked oysters. Here at least, they're all in cottonseed oil.

OP
N

Nstocks

Over here they are in sunflower oil. I know that's garbage but there's no other brand that I'm aware of without disgusting oils. I rinse them well, then squeeze lemon juice on, then rinse again. Fresh oysters are either hard to come by (and more often than not turn out to be rotten) or end up costing too much :(

jyb

I find anything topical on my acne prone area is highly risky, even rubbing a water solution. So far, the best skin I get is when I don't touch it, maybe occasional water rinse.

I'm not sure if I'd eat those canned oysters, there's too many unknowns. If I were you I'd get fresh oysters, just not very often due to costs.

Peata

I buy the canned ones in just water. Some cans say "boiled oysters". Brands I can get: Pampas, Bumble Bee, Geisha, Polar, plus store brands sometimes. Can cost anywhere from about $2 to almost $4 per can.

I bought fresh ones one time and they were cheap, but a lot of work and kind of weird (the shells), so I won't do it again.

Peata

I eat 6 -8 oysters per week. I have a way I fry them that I like, then I dip them in ketchup. Family likes them OK too.

Kray

Peata said:
Check the smoked oysters. Here at least, they're all in cottonseed oil.

I don't know where "here" is, but can you or Nstocks (in UK, I assume), get these from amazon? I buy them from an online vitamin retailer in US, but since amazon is a big company, I thought you might try to get them there. I think they're very good in the olive oil. They'd be pretty tasty still with some lemon juice squeezed atop, but may not need to rinse off the olive oil. Hope you are able to purchase these!

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Prince-Natu ... ce+oysters

jyb

I wonder if is a reason why RP considers dairy products as less problematic with respect to inflammatory amino acids is that casein is released slowly. I think he also mentioned calcium as increasing metabolism and thus reducing the likeliness of converting trypto to serotonin, but I don't understand this. Indeed if one day I drink milk and I'm clearly hypothyroid, my metabolism is not up, so does the trypto convert to serotonin or not?

OP
N

Nstocks

Does anybody in the UK know of a good, easily available cottage cheese that I can buy? (preferable online)?

I've tried making my own with goat milk (complete failure) and using organic cows milk. Although the cow milk work, the texture isn't anything like that found in the shops.I know of 'Holy cow' cheese in waitrose but that's a 70 mile drive for me!

I've started to do some home workouts, most days around 15 minutes of high intensity no equipment in an effort to burn some of this fat I've put on... I don't have much in the way if protein after working out (apart from milk and oysters) and I think cottage cheese with honey would be great! I just can't get into eating poor quality dairy.

Thanks!

jyb

In terms of quality and price/protein ratio for cheese, I think its impossible to beat homemade cottage, because it only uses the ingredients that are strictly necessary to produce it, not the chemicals that are used in store cheese to optimize the flavour, texture and shelf-life for the consumer. Let me know if you find better, but when I looked into tesco and co, it was just commercial crap.

You could also use near 0% fat cheap non-organic milk to make it, all the contaminants which lay in the fat are removed.

Kray

jyb said:
In terms of quality and price/protein ratio for cheese, I think its impossible to beat homemade cottage, because it only uses the ingredients that are strictly necessary to produce it, not the chemicals that are used in store cheese to optimize the flavour, texture and shelf-life for the consumer. Let me know if you find better, but when I looked into tesco and co, it was just commercial crap.

You could also use near 0% fat cheap non-organic milk to make it, all the contaminants which lay in the fat are removed.

I'm going to look into making my own. Can you share your recipe?

P.S. I just found this one. It looks great, is yours easier?

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/03/la-presure-home-1/

jyb

classicallady said:
I'm going to look into making my own. Can you share your recipe?

P.S. I just found this one. It looks great, is yours easier?

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/03/la-presure-home-1/

I'm still working on it. So far I just mix hot milk and lemon juice and it forms a single mass from which I squeeze out any liquid with bare hands, my purpose is just to get a quick source of protein which can also be easily preserved and transported. It taste good while still lukewarm and a bit dry after a while.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals