Protein Sources (yep, That Question Again)

OP
N

Nstocks

classicallady said:
jyb said:
In terms of quality and price/protein ratio for cheese, I think its impossible to beat homemade cottage, because it only uses the ingredients that are strictly necessary to produce it, not the chemicals that are used in store cheese to optimize the flavour, texture and shelf-life for the consumer. Let me know if you find better, but when I looked into tesco and co, it was just commercial crap.

You could also use near 0% fat cheap non-organic milk to make it, all the contaminants which lay in the fat are removed.

I'm going to look into making my own. Can you share your recipe?

P.S. I just found this one. It looks great, is yours easier?

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/03/la-presure-home-1/

I've just made it using that recipe, but with semi-skimmed milk instead of whole. 5 hours in and it's starting to set! I also made it with lemon juice yesterday and it works incredible fast. It doesn't have a good texture though, so I'm hoping the rennet version will!

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Kray

Nstocks:

Great news! And I just purchased some animal rennet here: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Animal-Ren ... mal+rennet

At a few drops per recipe, it should last a while. Someone on the forum mentioned making farmer's cheese with lemon juice-- would this be "cottage cheese" basically? Although I like the true c-cheese recipe online from what is described.

How long would you say the process is from start to finish? And-- stupid question-- does 1 quart milk yield 1 quart c-cheese? I may need to double mine, for the time involved, and for my large family (hope doubling doesn't make the recipe turn out any different-- maybe best results in small batches?).

I'll be away for a week or so, so I plan to make mine when I return. Please let me know how the rennet recipe works for you.
:)

OP
N

Nstocks

Would BCAA be a good option for protein? I consume around 2tablespoons of collagen hydrosolyte (GL green tin) and eat meat a couple time per week. I definitely don't get 100g of protein a day and I'm trying to build lean muscle. (I'm 165lbs 6'2", 23 years old). If BCAA are good, what is the best way to consume them, without adding a ton more liquids into the diet? (unless I can just ix with OJ in the morning?)

I know that real food is better, but I don't have much desire to eat meat and eating canned oysters (smoked with vegetable oil) is already very questionable at 3 tins per week. Cottage cheese will hopefully be a large part of my diet too.

Kray

Nstocks-

You might search BCAA on the forum. I don't know much about them. I think the cottage cheese is a good option for you. You can control the fat by doing lowfat milk to make it. You can sprinkle a little gelatin over top when you eat it for extra protein, if cost isn't an issue.

Did you see my link on the previous page about canned oysters in olive oil? I've contacted Crown Prince and their quality standards are very highly regulated by FDA, so I wasn't worried about the canned oysters. To reduce your oyster consumption, you could try shrimp. It's great plain with some boiled egg and fresh lemon juice squeezed over top, maybe some cocktail sauce.

I love this brand: http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/store/pr ... imp-1.html

In 1 can, you'd be getting 22g protein. It is very fresh-tasting, imo. Hope this helps. :)

OP
N

Nstocks

Unfortunately, in the UK we don't have access to that brand :(. (or another brand which I remember use salt water, not oil)

It might just be a coincidence, but since consuming cow milk in the past few days, my feet have become very cold and my dark under eye circles have got worse. I'll give the homemade cottage cheese another shot (the last recipe hasn't worked) and then I'll try low-fat store bought. If I have a negative reaction to that, BCAA will be needed.

Thanks for your help.

J

j.

The trouble from milk could be not being used to it and not digesting it well. So undigested milk stays in the intestine feeding excessive bacteria.

I can't imagine how could a recipe for cottage cheese fail. All you have to do and bring the milk to a boil, or a little less than a boil, and then add lemon juice until it forms curdles. One possibility for failure I think might be using UHT milk, which according to some, doesn't form curdles.

OP
N

Nstocks

I'm use to goat milk but for cottage cheese that doesn't work. (so I've bne drinking some cow milk whilst using some for cheese)

Your'e right, is shouldn't fail and with lemon juice it didn't fail, it just had a very different texture than the store bought stuff. I'm making it now with rennet since I've already bought it and it too is suppose to work well. I'm using organic, pasteurised and homogenised milk, heated to 90F before adding rennet. It's thicken up a lot but it's not quite thick enough so I'll leave it overnight.

Kray

Nstocks said:
Unfortunately, in the UK we don't have access to that brand :(. (or another brand which I remember use salt water, not oil)

It might just be a coincidence, but since consuming cow milk in the past few days, my feet have become very cold and my dark under eye circles have got worse. I'll give the homemade cottage cheese another shot (the last recipe hasn't worked) and then I'll try low-fat store bought. If I have a negative reaction to that, BCAA will be needed.

Thanks for your help.

Sure, hope your troubles improve, and may your cottage cheese not fail! :)

OP
N

Nstocks

So it's been around 20 hours since making the cottage cheese (1L milk and 5 drops of rennet). It has firmed up a bit but it probably needs another 4 hours and a warmer environment. (like in the oven with the light on)

It doesn't matter now anyway... I've broken out in several places on my face which can only be linked to the cow milk since nothing else has changed recently. Extremely upset and frustrated now :(. 2 months ago I had amazingly clear skin, but I was constantly bloated from drinking so much goat milk.

From here, I think protein powders are necessary for me to get enough protein. I'd like to make some kind of protein bar with fruit, collagen, coconut oil and protein powder but I'd need something to help bind it all together. Most recipes use grains but we all know they aren't ideal. Suggestions would be appreciated! I think this 'dry' protein source and a little goat milk will help me with calcium and protein requirements and should be good after exercise.

Time to order some liver now and try and rid this f****** acne! I think a liver paté with cucumber will be good - consume it over 5 days or so.

jyb

In my opinion, spending hours trying to make cheese with rennet is not very efficient, because that's just a fraction of your protein requirement for 1 day. Have you tried store parmesan? Also, steak, eggs, shrimps etc are all quality animal protein as alternative to dairy. Using those and gelatin, possibly some BCAA, that should get you to a decent amount. Things like liver and oysters are good for nutrients but negligible protein.

OP
N

Nstocks

Indeed, I just like trying things out. I remember how many days I would spend soaking and drying nuts and preparing other food when I was Paleo. I had no life!

Are all BCAA the same? Are these any good: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... 29280.html

Would BCAA the only protein powder I need if I want to use such a source? That is, do I need brown rice powder or similar? ( I need something to bind ingredients into bars with other ingredients... I can't do anymore liquids!) There's no harm eating these on non active days is there? (I've never used this sort of thing)

I can probably eat these:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =260489933
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =260663698 - is this goat or cow milk?

jyb

But are you ok on non-rennet cottage cheese? Parmesan is with rennet and from cow's.

I have little experience with BCAA, but why not. I probably wouldn't touch any other powder like rice protein though. I don't see how you are being nourished properly if you need powder beyond gelatin and possibly a bit of BCAA.

Energizer

If you are constipated it is especially important to get extra magnesium as well from either leafy greens or a supplement. I add 1:1 ratio of calcium carbonate to magnesium carbonate to prevent.

Edit: posted in wrong thread, Yay for me

Travis

I've broken out in several places on my face which can only be linked to the cow milk since nothing else has changed recently.
I think you're most certainly correct. Steroids and halogens are the only things that can cause acne (that I'm aware of).

And they both can be found in cow's milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals