Protein, Your Experience. High,low,medium Intake

BobbyDukes

I do well with potato protein and skim milk daily. I'm trying to figure out how I can get gelatin in now. I only use the GL red can so I'm going to make gummies with it made from fruit juice. I think getting some blood work done with a liver panel that shows liver function and liver enzymes would be a good way to see how your protein intake is going.

If "listening to your body" was the "found answer" then people would just listen to it and eat Krispy Kreme donuts and In-N-Out Burger everyday. Which is what many people do and they get obese and other effects.

How much potato do you eat? I tried a skimmed milk/potato diet once, but I felt pretty rough from it. Saying that, I have always reacted badly to potatoes (the ones I've tried).

bobbybobbob

I started eating large servings (as much as a couple pounds) of meat or fish for dinner every third day or so and noticed I felt *way* better. So much more energy. Back in college I'd just instinctively gorge on meat a couple times a week (like, eat a whole turkey with the giblets) and I basically started doing that again. In recent years I bought into the whole idea that you really don't need that much protein and it's probably just a wasteful expense and lowfat milk is a good source. Just have a couple eggs, plenty of dairy, and maybe a can of crab meat or shrimp meat or some oysters.

Nope, not for me anymore. Now I'll regularly cook a cornish hen or a big lean beef roast or a huge bowl of shrimp and eat the whole damn thing in one sitting. Big difference in sleep and energy. Maybe just wash it down with some soft drinks and a couple beers. It's expensive but totally worth it.

This has been dramatic enough for me that I'd suggest it as an experiment to anyone. Try upping meat and fish intake a lot and see how you feel.

I don't even know that it's just a protein thing. I'm a bit suspicious that maybe the mineral and vitamin content of vegetables and starches are now so crap in America that various animal flesh products are the only effective way to get supplied.

lindsay

If there is one thing I've gathered, from the many RP things I've gathered, is that quality is more important than quantity. I weigh 125 lbs., so I probably only need 60 - 80 grams of GOOD protein per day. I don't drink milk, I use cream in my coffee, and drink a lot of OJ, eat a good amount of high fat cheese (probably 4 oz. of cheese per day or approx. 30 - 40 grams of vitamin rich protein, also high in fat), and I eat an egg or two per day and some gelatin. I actually feel good on the lower but adequate amount of protein. It's difficult to digest for some, so I'd rather eat good quality protein than try to get a ton of protein with inflammatory amino acids. Cheese is my favorite food and has done me well. Also, RP hasn't talked much about this (because he hasn't been able to test it), but I recall from former threads on Peatarian that he believes fruit and fruit juice is similar to potato when it comes to protein. It doesn't show up in Cronometer, but he mentioned fruit might have a similar profile to potatoes in the amino acids and the sugars are very beneficial. Really, you should find what works for you :)

Barry Obummer

I started eating large servings (as much as a couple pounds) of meat or fish for dinner every third day or so and noticed I felt *way* better. So much more energy. Back in college I'd just instinctively gorge on meat a couple times a week (like, eat a whole turkey with the giblets) and I basically started doing that again. In recent years I bought into the whole idea that you really don't need that much protein and it's probably just a wasteful expense and lowfat milk is a good source. Just have a couple eggs, plenty of dairy, and maybe a can of crab meat or shrimp meat or some oysters.

Nope, not for me anymore. Now I'll regularly cook a cornish hen or a big lean beef roast or a huge bowl of shrimp and eat the whole damn thing in one sitting. Big difference in sleep and energy. Maybe just wash it down with some soft drinks and a couple beers. It's expensive but totally worth it.

This has been dramatic enough for me that I'd suggest it as an experiment to anyone. Try upping meat and fish intake a lot and see how you feel.

I don't even know that it's just a protein thing. I'm a bit suspicious that maybe the mineral and vitamin content of vegetables and starches are now so crap in America that various animal flesh products are the only effective way to get supplied.

I think about this a lot. What percentage of minerals do you think are in food today compared to 100 years ago? If you had to gamble what would you guess? I's say like 35 percent. That's just a blind guess though, from the little I know about growing stuff. Ancient people used to let the soil rest every 7 years. Probably had something to due with it.

chispas

I just saw this study this morning about protein intake. It shows that even when calories are equal, having a lower proportion of calories as protein will not help contribute much at all to the acquisition of lean mass. All of the groups of participants gained weight - including fat - but the participants eating the largest amount of protein were also eating between 120g - 155g of fat - and carb quantity never changed throughout the entire experiment (330g per day). I think it goes to show that a) eating less protein doesn't help you gain lean mass or raise energy expenditure, b) 120g - 200g protein or more helps the body to gain a greater proportion of lean mass to fat, and c) fat probably contributes to fat gain when consumed in large amounts, considering that fat consumption does not contribute to a rise in resting energy expenditure whatsoever.

I am obviously preaching to the choir here. So I'm not sure if it's a good inference to suggest hypothetically that a very high protein consumption (close to 200g or more) will aid resting energy expenditure, aid lean mass gain, and help reduce the acquisition of fat when abstaining from large dietary fat intake (and consuming carbs like normal) - calories remaining equal. In a 2500 calorie diet, this would be represented by: 1000 calories protein (~200g), 1200 calories carb (~300g), 300 calories fat (~30g). Ratio of (approximately) 40: 50: 10.

Here is the study: Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain, Energy Expenditure, and Body Composition During Overeating

It's interesting to download the specs on the exact diet the women were eating: Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain, Energy Expenditure, and Body Composition During Overeating

kayumochi

If "listening to your body" was the "found answer" then people would just listen to it and eat Krispy Kreme donuts and In-N-Out Burger everyday. Which is what many people do and they get obese and other effects.

People who eat that kind of food are listening to their thoughts, not their body. I haven't eaten SAD since 1987 and while I can say that, theoretically, it is possible to listen to one's body, but it takes a lot of training.

Rickyman

Eating Krispy Kreme and In-N-Out Burger is not listening to your body. Listening to your body IS the answer but it doesn't mean that you know how to listen to it. For RPDisciple - getting any blood work is not listening to your body and will not give you any longterm skills. The best way to determine these things is to measure pulse and temp. and mood with your current protein intake, then if you feel it needs to adjust, CONSISTENTLY implement the new adjustment while doing the same record keeping. It's not so much the total grams that matter but the ratio of protein to carbs and fats. I get around 150g/protein a day on a 2900 calorie diet. Unfortunately, total grams of protein a day is only one variable. The other variables are total grams of protein per meal as well as the types of proteins you eat.

You sound a lot like the Rubinstein from east west healing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals