Test pH levels?

Nstocks

I'm looking at reducing my intake of milk and replacing it with yogurt (perhaps home made, not greek as it causes gas).

Lactic acid can be a problem for some people and through searching the forum, testing the pH for at least 3 days will indicate if one is creating lactic acid or not.

These inexpensive pH strips would be helpful, if I knew what they pH level corresponds to. For example, if I had a pH of 6.0 or below, could I be producing lactic acid?

I realise these tests aren't by any means conclusive to eating yogurt or not, but since my stomach never knows what feels good I'd like to check first.

EDIT:, RE the phosphorus and calcium ration. I get around 1420mg calcium and 1600mg phosphorus per day. Where does this stand? I never understood the importance of these minerals, until looking at my CRON-O-Meter logs.

tara

It seems to be a complicated area.

Peat has said an ideal 24 hour UpH would probably be between 6.3-6.7. Also, he considers lactic acid an issue specifically, not just because it is acidic, but because it is a burden on the liver and glycogen supplies to metabolise it.

I would think that if you are testing UpH 6.0 or below on average, you are running too acid. It may be that lactic acid could be contributing, but that is not the only factor.

My understanding is that the systemic and urinary acidity is not only a result of lactic acid production, but also of the balance of other factors too, including alkaline and acid minerals absorbed and retained from the diet, and CO2 production. We want that CO2 production, unless we are running too acid to begin with. Breathing rate can affect pH, too.

Peat has suggested getting at least as much calcium as phosphorus, preferably 1.5 times as much. Eggshell or oystershell are next best sources after milk.

If you make your own yogurt , you can strain it yourself to remove some of the whey and therefore lactic acid.