Thyroid Panel Interpretation!

misery guts

After uninvitedly ranting about Ray Peat to every friend who would listen, I managed to convince one of them to do a thyroid panel.

And here it is! http://i.imgur.com/sGca2vZ.jpg

He's 29 years old, 5"10 and weighs around 105kg (and has hovered around that since roughly puberty)
Symptoms include IBS for roughly 10 years, and hair loss.

I managed to get him to start taking a decent b-complex, magnesium biglycinate, and fat soluble vitamins (which included about 10k IUs of D3 every other day) maybe a month ago or so, so his vitamin status might have been affected by that.

The first things that jump to mind are:

Elevated TSH: From what I remember this indicates the thyroid gland is struggling to keep up. Does the immunology result suggest an autoimmune attack on his thyroid gland? Perhaps the IBS would also be symptomatic of this?

Do any other tests immediately seem prudent?

Thanks for any help.

DaveFoster

I struggle with my thyroid gland, mostly due to elevated stress hormones, particularly adrenaline. My TSH is 1. His TSH Is over 4 times mine. Yes, he's hypothyroid.

OP
M

misery guts

I struggle with my thyroid gland, mostly due to elevated stress hormones, particularly adrenaline. My TSH is 1. His TSH Is over 4 times mine. Yes, he's hypothyroid.

Thanks for that. Do you think it's likely given his antibodies that the thyroid gland is under attack from his immune system? I remember reading in Chris Kressers' Thyroid e-book that this would happen because of the immune system recognising his thyroid as identical to gluten (that's permeated a leaky gut). Could anything else cause the high TSH in conjunction with elevated antibodies?

I've just convinced him to go on a Haidut binge, and he's just ordered estroban, energin, oxidal and NDT!! And hopefully a gluten free diet :s

tara

As a non-expert, I agree it looks like likely somewhat hypothyroid. Could get corroborating evidence by measuring body temps and resting pulse.

I've just convinced him to go on a Haidut binge, and he's just ordered estroban, energin, oxidal and NDT!! And hopefully a gluten free diet :s
I'll put a plug in for a cautious approach.

Maybe start with the vitamins first, and check that basic nutritional needs are likely being met.

Then after a week or two add either NDT or MB, bt not both at once, so it's easier to tell which is having effect.

When starting NDT, please advise to go very slowly - binging can get people into trickier situations.
Eg start with one drop or one drop morning and evening.
Monitor temps and resting pulse, and other effects (eg how he's feeling). Only consider small increments after at least 2 weeks.
Remember to ensure fuel is available to support NDT.

OP
M

misery guts

As a non-expert, I agree it looks like likely somewhat hypothyroid. Could get corroborating evidence by measuring body temps and resting pulse.

I'll put a plug in for a cautious approach.

Maybe start with the vitamins first, and check that basic nutritional needs are likely being met.

Then after a week or two add either NDT or MB, bt not both at once, so it's easier to tell which is having effect.

When starting NDT, please advise to go very slowly - binging can get people into trickier situations.
Eg start with one drop or one drop morning and evening.
Monitor temps and resting pulse, and other effects (eg how he's feeling). Only consider small increments after at least 2 weeks.
Remember to ensure fuel is available to support NDT.

Thanks for that. He eats paleoish atm and I'm trying to ram home the sugar issue. He doesn't like OJ, but is hooked on Dr Pepper | Nutritional information and ingredients | Coca-Cola GB which to be fair seems to have most of the same junk as coke in it, so I've not been able to suggest much better to him. Managed to get him off pufa oils etc a while back.

I'm just wondering about the antibodies.. Would he likely get a hashimoto's diagnosis from a clinician? Is it likely subclinical hashi's?

HelloItsMe

Hi there, the test was for me thanks for reading it.

Resting heartrate is ~50-60bpm, will buy a thermometer as well

tara

He eats paleoish atm and I'm trying to ram home the sugar issue.
Consider root veges and fresh or stewed fruit as potentially good carb sources?

Resting heartrate is ~50-60bpm,
On the lowish side.

Could be that eating more carbs might help bring up metabolism in itself.
I'd be cautious about adding in thyroid supplement without adequate carbs - could add to stress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals