Iodine Redistribution During Trauma, Sepsis, and Hibernation: An Evolutionarily Conserved Response to Severe Stress

yerrag

Interesting, thanks. Yeah I basically went to sleep with extra layers of clothing to sweat it out a bit. This morning I'm hovering around 37-37.2C

Looks like you are healing at a fast clip. Health is a lot about recovering quickly and being resilient.

I'm always torn on iodine. On one hand, the theory sounds really good. TSH will go up, but this is normal, after some months it will go down and your thyroid will then work perfectly.

I took it for about 2 months and my own personal experience with it has been, that regardless of TSH, my hypothyroid symptoms got WORSE when I took it (my eyebrows, for instance, thinned even more). I don't remember feeling any better.

And online comments like this, have me even more worried:

"After supplementing with iodine for 6months apart from tsh getting high - 6.74, my tg antybodies got over 400, anty tpo 50...any good explanation for this? Thanks"

"Lugols really ****88 me up, all the ***t I read on internet I was stupid to believe. I was subclinical hypothyroid with mildly elevated tsh, but I took 25mg of lugols feeling amazing for 2 weeks, then my thyroid gave in T4 T3 dropped far below reference range and TSH shot up, also my liver enzymes went to 180. I gained weight got tired pale cold and anxious took me 6 months to recover and had to take thyroid meds for a while. I also took 400 mcg selenium which was supposed to protect from iodine side effects, but clearly didnt work. Kelp in low doses works better for me."

If I had been feeling better on it I would've maybe pushed on but this way I am worried that I am causing some irreparable damage, and my thyroid is already not in the best shape as is, last thing I need is to get autoimmune disease on top.

There's never any clear consensus to things like this and if you end up screwed up, you're left to deal with that on your own...

yerrag

@Jam

Ever since I got my own personal ECG (a Facelake FL@), and having taken daily readings of my QTc (which I use to determine whether I'm hypothyroid or not), I have observed the following relationships -

- when I am sick with a fever, my blood pressure goes down but my QTc values go up to indicate I am hypothyroid (when QTc is greater than 440 msec)
- when I have fully recovered, I would know it as my blood pressure goes back up to my usual (which is a much higher level of hypertension), but my QTc would show me being back to being euthyroid (where QTc is lower than 440 msec)
-when I take methylene blue, my blood pressure would jump up, but my QTc becomes even lower as my temperature goes up

This makes me think whether there is a relationship where being sick, causing lower thyroid levels due to the release of iodine from the thyroid hormone, would lead to a hypothyroid condition and lower metabolism. And that this would be reflected in higher QTc as well as lower blood pressure. But as one recovers from sickness, the free iodine would no longer be needed and would become thyroid hormones again, and this would gradually cause metabolism to improve. In my case, I would also see my blood pressure increase. In the past, I would be crestfallen seeing my blood pressure go back to its previous high levels, but now I would see that as a sign of my metabolism improved because I am back in a healthy state.

This would make me wonder also what people taking bp medication are getting themselves into. Is it worth it to artificially lower blood pressure by medication if the trade-off is that it would cause metabolism to be downregulated?

I'm glad I bought an ECG, as using it has allowed me to observe these relationships in my own personal experience. @youngsinatra

Dr. B

It is very confusing. On the one hand, he seems to be way ahead of the curve in articles such as this one:

On the other hand, he makes very bizarre statements in interviews and via email, such as this one:

Iodocasein is not something I would ever recommend. It has been linked to severe cases of hyperthyroidism and myocarditis.,..
Jam, good thread

Regarding hydrogen peroxide doesnt iodine actually increase that somehow? I thought iodine increases peroxide and selenium Is needed for certain things like gluthathione peroxidase which convert peroxide into hydrogen and water?

Regarding Iodocasein, would this exist naturally in milk? Is this why iodine is more tolerable when ingested via milk, and does it explain some of the pro metabolic effects of milk...?

Makrosky

I'm always torn on iodine. On one hand, the theory sounds really good. TSH will go up, but this is normal, after some months it will go down and your thyroid will then work perfectly.

I took it for about 2 months and my own personal experience with it has been, that regardless of TSH, my hypothyroid symptoms got WORSE when I took it (my eyebrows, for instance, thinned even more). I don't remember feeling any better.

"After supplementing with iodine for 6months apart from tsh getting high - 6.74, my tg antybodies got over 400, anty tpo 50...any good explanation for this? Thanks"

"Lugols really ****88 me up, all the ***t I read on internet I was stupid to believe. I was subclinical hypothyroid with mildly elevated tsh, but I took 25mg of lugols feeling amazing for 2 weeks, then my thyroid gave in T4 T3 dropped far below reference range and TSH shot up, also my liver enzymes went to 180. I gained weight got tired pale cold and anxious took me 6 months to recover and had to take thyroid meds for a while. I also took 400 mcg selenium which was supposed to protect from iodine side effects, but clearly didnt work. Kelp in low doses works better for me."

If I had been feeling better on it I would've maybe pushed on but this way I am worried that I am causing some irreparable damage, and my thyroid is already not in the best shape as is, last thing I need is to get autoimmune disease on top.

There's never any clear consensus to things like this and if you end up screwed up, you're left to deal with that on your own...
The first case could be lack of selenomethionine...
Second case I don't know.
In your case, if it makes you feel bad, just drop it. Why insisting in something problematic when there are dozens of other things to try?

Ras

It's important to always distinguish between Lugol's (potassium iodide and elemental iodine) and potassium iodide. These are not the same and do not behave the same in the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals