Starch gives me optimal strength, energy and physical performance

I think the hate against starch is partly justified but mostly wrong, though of course we’re also eating it wrong as well (culturally and society at large, at least).

It is actually my theory that we actually absorb starch particles and use them like glycogen.

As Travis has already mentioned on here before (hopefully he’s somewhere cooler now), glycogen and amylopectin are basically impossible to tell apart using most any means. In fact, it is likely the case that much glycogen in the past has actually been in reality amylopectin grains.

Here’s the thing. Crystalline starch and amylose in general are definitely bad and can clog capillaries at the least, and the fact they’re already there means our pre-existing amylase enzymes (which is also found everywhere else in the body btw) failed to metabolize it, meaning it has to be destroyed by an immune cell to actually be gotten rid of.

Amylopectin however is nearly identical structurally to glycogen. and as well, it just so happens that glycogen particles in the cell are about 10-50nm, which is about the same size as starch particles after they hydrate.

Of course, all prior studies done on glycogen could just be mistaking amylopectin as it (as all lab animals and lab humans consume starch) meaning the mainstream idea of glycogen could be an illusion, and the “real” glycogen could be hidden from view by the imposter amylopectin. That being said, there’s been plenty of isolate cell studies done as well, and as far as I know they’ve all basically seen glycogen the same as normal in animal cellular studies. This is definitely something that requires a bit more research.

Now with all of *that* being said, it is my opinion that the animal body is able to take starch amylopectin and use it just the same as glycogen. At the very least amylopectin starch granules shouldn’t really be able to block most capillaries, just kinda get in the way, as it’s far more hydrated and thus squishy and somewhat porous as opposed to it’s crystalline cousins which can definitely block basically anything.

At the very least amylopectin granules can sit in the blood stream and lymph, slowly being metabolized by the amylase enzymes there and turned into glucose.

That’s at the very least. I see no reason why the particles themselves can’t be swallowed up by normal cells whole, as they’re quite small compared to a cell. All it would take would be the cells of an area noticing that there’s a “loose glycogen bundle/molecule”, and swooping in greedily to grab it.

The enzyme that breaks down glycogen, glycogen phosphorylase, breaks down the same kind of bond that amylase does, plus it’s been shown to actually break down amylopectin when given the chance.

Anyways, that’s the theory. Starch really isn’t that alien, and it’s probably incorporated or used by the body when it can be.

Still, it’s important not to eat starch a with lots of rough fibers, starch’s that have allergenic proteins or molecules, or starch’s with too much amylose, and of course to eat starch’s with no dehydrated surfaces, that means chips of any kinds, for starters.

Sticky rice that’s been soaked and thoroughly cooked, barley porridge, properly cooked corn (masa harina), white potatoes, all very good in my view.

VitoScaletta

There's no traditional diet on Earth that doesn't have starch, except maybe Eskimo, Inuit etc.
Even diets which are "praised" for fitting some ideal like carnivore or whatever in the example of the Massai tribe, their diet is still 40-50% Starch.
99% of people on earth eat starch and base their Carbs around starch. My parents and their parents all ate at the very least potatoes in the Soviet Union, and they were much healthier then me and most forum members here (although the majority of these forum joined it because they were sick in the first place).
Without some energy-packed and acquirable food like Starch society would be much different.

It seems to me that you are listening to your body and providing it what it needs and that sounds very "peaty" to me :grin

Plus there’s no better way of getting glucose. Fructose is good but I think that it’s basically been proven on this forum by this point that too much is bad, and that white sugar cannot be made the main source of calories (at the very least most of the ‘successful’ long term sugar consumers here btw don’t even eat that much, it’s a big amount but total fructose usually makes up at most half of their total carbohydrates, usually far less, and they eat starch too, usually).

For a good to be truly good, it should be able to be a large portion of your diet. The fact that you can live all of your carbs on starch and feel decent, good even, while almost everyone on sugar only diets eventually quits, should tell you a lot. And yes, Fruitarians can do it to an extent, but they always quit eventually, and switching from a shitty diet to a fruitarian one and suddenly feeling better isn’t really proof that fructose itself is somehow superior, much less using that proof to justify consuming a **** ton of white sugar no fruit.

VitoScaletta

This, starch is a component of pretty much every dish there is, it simply works. High protein meals without enough starch makes me feel awful, but an equivalent amount of meat with a serving of potatoes on the other hand results in a balanced feeling. You can argue about the unavailability of starch for prehistoric man, but those times are a distant reconstruction. Starch on the other hand is in every single civilization for thousands of years, the evidence is, well, evident. (Of course, it might not work for everyone, but generally it's a good food)
1+

supercoolguy

At the same time.
I’m not sure if it’s the High Carb Low Fat ramping my metabolism, or is it that I am currently at optimal levels of FT4 and FT3 in the blood due to dropping T4 medications, and I will hit a wall and become hypothyroid again once the effect of T4 gets out of my system completely.
I read that it takes 4-6 weeks for that to happen.
Why you drop the T4? Too much Too often?
Mornings I take 1/4 Tab T4/3. But I like T3 solo. It seems more predictable. At night 1/4 tab also.
Im concerned about triggering RT3, negating the benefits of a little.

Nomane Euger

a phenomenon being part of rituals,traditions,culture,common sense,do not mean its optimal or good for you,starches being consumed by most humans is not an argument to say you should eat starches or starches is optimal.be precise,"starch works""starch good"what do you mean specifically by these terms,its all about how it make you feel,wich specific feelings,wich intensity of these feeling,then your experience is usefull and relevant to share.No one care that you can still be a human going through your daily life feeling decent or average while eating starches,we can look arround and see most peoples eating all kind of things and leaving their bed when they wake up,and going to school or to work,and doing sports for some

Last edited:

Sefton10

Oat flakes, couscous, bulgur, basmati rice, multigrain bread.
White potatoes are the devil. Strongly affect my mood and outlook on life negatively. Literally giving me an existential crisis whenever I consume them.

I think I’m going to drop starch yet again. And try fruits + raw milk + meat + honey
Those starch sources are junk. Starch from something like spouted oats is a different ball game.

Nomane Euger

@GreekDemiGod
hi ma boi,how does raw milk make you feel?you mentioned that you ere gonna try no starch again while including raw milk?

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

@GreekDemiGod
hi ma boi,how does raw milk make you feel?you mentioned that you ere gonna try no starch again while including raw milk?
It does feel good and nourishing. Definitely digests better than pasteurized/ UHT milk from the supermarket, and less likely to affect my sinuses or give me allergy, which happens with pasteurized milk.
The closest source to me is A2 cow's raw milk. I'd be interested in trying raw goat milk too, but harder to source.
When I consumed over 2 liters of it, it increased my acne and back acne.
But perhaps this time, 1L/ day could work fine.

reality

I found very similar things but once I increased my fat intake, I stopped getting performance drops in the gym and now my glycogen levels are just as full with fruit/sugars

Sefton10

It raised my rT3 over the normal range.
@Sefton10 Sprouted oats? Sounds like too much of a hassle and a lot of preparing time, honestly.
I understand that. Luckily I can buy an organic sprouted brand in the UK. The points stands though - I don’t think it’s necessarily starch that’s your issue. For example, most commercial oats are steamed then rolled, so there’s a lot of resistant starch there as well as any anti nutrients etc. That’s very different to oat groats that are sprouted then dried and rolled, but they’re both “starch”. I can’t imagine what’s going into a commercial multigrain bread, and cous cous is wheat which can bring a whole range of other issues.

ursidae

Not all starch is created equal. The difference between commercial bread and something like an organic white flesh sweet potato cooked in hard water is like the difference between factory farmed chinese pork and wild venison

RollingStone

Have you tried getting your calories more from a lot of quality animal fats and mostly dropping the starch and sugars for a while?

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Have you tried getting your calories more from a lot of quality animal fats and mostly dropping the starch and sugars for a while?
You mean High Fat Low Carb? Can’t go back to that.
My concern with too high fat intake in the presence of carbs/ sugars is that is messes blood sugar and diabetes promoting(I have high fasting blood sugar) and can also aggravate a fatty liver.

Last edited:

RollingStone

You mean High Fat Low Carb? Can’t go back to that.
My concern with too high fat intake in the presence of carbs/ sugars is that is messes blood sugar and diabetes promoting(I have high fasting blood sugar) and can also aggravate a fatty liver.

You could have no carbs or carbs only by themselves or with lean meats.

youngsinatra

Have you got your copper status checked? (serum copper and ceruloplasmin)

Copper deficiency is known to cause glucose intolerance and subsequently high blood sugar readings.

jet9

I found very similar things but once I increased my fat intake, I stopped getting performance drops in the gym and now my glycogen levels are just as full with fruit/sugars
What fat sources do you use?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals