Great performance increase in workouts from Monster energy drink

GreekDemiGod

I lift weights, bodybuilding style.
Last 2 workouts, I had a Monster energy drink(the one with sugar), and have been seeing some amazing increase in strength and reps, that I was absolutely surpassing my last week's workouts performance.
It felt great in the first part of the workout, later it felt like a manic type of energy, so not sure how healthy it is.

What I'd like to know is that ingredient in it caused it. Perhaps I have a deficiency.
Could it have been the Carnitine, the Ginseng, or the high caffeine content?

Notes:
1. I have tried one pre-workout product, before, never seen much effects from it.
2. I have tried Taurine and B-vitamins on their own, no perceived effect on physical performance
3. Red Bull does not have the same effect

This is the ingredients list

406764011_1_640x640.jpg

Missenger

Acetyl-L-Carnitine when I was taking it half a decade ago gave me a manic sort of energy, I couldn't say if that's exactly healthy or not.

JohnHafterson

Last 2 workouts, I had a Monster energy drink(the one with sugar), and have been seeing some amazing increase in strength and reps, that I was absolutely surpassing my last week's workouts performance.
It felt great in the first part of the workout, later it felt like a manic type of energy, so not sure how healthy it is.

What I'd like to know is that ingredient in it caused it. Perhaps I have a deficiency.

Notes:
1. I have tried one pre-workout product, before, never seen much effects from it.
2. I have tried Taurine and B-vitamins on their own, no perceived effect on physical performance

406764011_1_640x640.jpg
I drink 2 16 ounce cans of no/low carb monsters a day without issue as long as I keep them 4 hours apart.

It's a pretty low amount of carnitine something like 130mg in most formulas. This version looks to have less then that per can.

There's no ginseng in that formulation.

Monster only uses ginseng extract in some formulations while using ginseng flavor in others.

Not that much caffeine it's around 140mg per 16 oz can which is like two coffees.

Play around with different cans the low carb no carb ones are pretty good if you can find.

redsun

Notes:

406764011_1_640x640.jpg
Well everything in it is definitely playing a part but I think the difference between redbull and monster is the B2 content in monster. B2 + caffeine gives a stronger anti-fatigue effect by antagonizing serotonin.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I drink 2 16 ounce cans of no/low carb monsters a day without issue as long as I keep them 4 hours apart.

It's a pretty low amount of carnitine something like 130mg in most formulas. This version looks to have less then that per can.

There's no ginseng in that formulation.

Monster only uses ginseng extract in some formulations while using ginseng flavor in others.

Not that much caffeine it's around 140mg per 16 oz can which is like two coffees.

Play around with different cans the low carb no carb ones are pretty good if you can find.
Do you mean the "boomer" white Monster? Why is low carb Monster better? I thought we all love sugar on this forum

Dr. B

Notes:

406764011_1_640x640.jpg

theres a lot of potentially toxic ingredients in that one mate, im not sure what would give the performance benefits, could be the combo of taurine and caffeine and sugar. i think the regular original monster may be better ingredients wise

JohnHafterson

Do you mean the "boomer" white Monster? Why is low carb Monster better? I thought we all love sugar on this forum
Sugar is ok. I don't think it's ideal to main line it all the time without things which help metabolism/transport like magnesium, potassium, etc - I'm a Type 1 Diabetic so that's the main reason I use Monster Low carb.

Most likely the caffeine and as @Mr.Bollox mentioned some of the additional coloring agents, ingredients etc may cause issues.

These are the ones I use they generally don't have a ton of questionable stuff in them except for citric acid:

Screenshot_20210701-152851.png

David90

Notes:

406764011_1_640x640.jpg
I think it has a nice Combination of the Ingridients.
It has carbonated Water in it, which helps Increase CO2. Then there a quite a few B-Vitamins in it, as well as Caffeine which surely helps with Metabolism.
I saw quite a few Fitness Youtubers in the Past, drinking ''Monster'' as Pre-Workout.

Also i'm on the Same Page as @redsun with the Anti-Serotonin Effect via B2 and Caffeine.