Shrimp's Peat Log- Thyroid, Anxiety And Acne Issues, Oh My!

Swandattur

Re: Shrimp's Peat log- thyroid, anxiety and acne issues, oh

You don't have sugar or fruit? I think that is part of straightening out blood sugar. I don't eat starches at all, but I do eat plenty of fruit and some sugar. You can just eat a little at a time, but I think you need the non starchy carbs.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Swandattur: Oh I do have sugar and fruit, from OJ, grape juice, some mangoes, canned papaya, applesauce, ice cream, milk etc. I've been trying to eat them a little bit at a time, but I still am having trouble getting enough calories worth of them because they aren't easy on my stomach for some reason. Hoping it will pass.

@ Haagendazendiane: Thanks, giving it a listen right now! :)

-----
Temps seem to have dropped somehow; the cold has a much stronger effect on me now, and I'm sitting somewhat cold in my 78F room. I think starches have a warming effect on me that I've been unable to replicate with just dairy/fruits/meats so far.

Wondering if I might be better off on T3 only medication. I tried it before all the Peat stuff and it didn't do anything special, but it might work now that I've changed my diet significantly. Going to see if I can get my doctor to test reverse T3...

Swandattur

Starches really seem to be the major trigger for high blood sugars for me. I wonder if it feeds gut bacteria that cause more endotoxin and disrupt blood sugar through the endotoxin. Maybe starches work okay for you, though.
Anyway, I hope you get things worked out better, soon.

Combie

My own personal opinion re thyroid medication is that unless you have tried everything else and had no joy, you are really better off trying to get your thyroid up via diet. My experience with NDT was like a rollercoaster ride, feeling 1000% great one min, shite the next, and round and round. Doing it via diet keeps you on a much more even keel. Its powerful powerful stuff is thyroid and imo can set you back badly if you dont really need it.

Swandattur

It does seem tricky the way people describe it.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Swandattur: Thanks, I hope things get sorted out soon, too. I think in my case the starches were elevating my temperature some, as it has dropped considerably since I've stopped eating them. It may have been due to insulin/cortisol response, though, so I'm not sure it was a positive thing.

@ Combie: I haven't had much luck with anything to be honest, including thyroid medicine, but I do think I need it as my TSH is 2-3 when I'm unmedicated and my hypo symptoms are pretty unbearable. It is definitely tricky to stabilize, though, as the amount you need can change suddenly (found that out the hard way). I wish I could fix things through diet alone but my metabolism is pretty wrecked and I'm not sure I can. :/

---------
Waking temps down to 97.5-97.7, around 98.0-98.3 later in the day, pulse ~80-85bpm. Eyes are very tired/dry/sore, feeling spacey and fatigued but I have been spending too much time on the computer. Having trouble finding ripe tropical fruits, so stuck with OJ/grapes/milk/honey for carbs for now. Not feeling as anxious as I did this weekend, but am extremely fatigued. Need more time to adjust to changes; am eating so much more dairy than before. Skin is still breaking out, but not nearly as badly as I expected considering I haven't washed my face in a week and am eating all the dairy I want. Looking forward to trying the dulce de leche I found at the grocery store yesterday. :mrgreen:

HDD

Hi Shrimp,
Are you supplementing Vit. A or eating liver? I know RP said something about it in the beginning if the podcast but need to listen again for details. As my metabolism got better I had different skin issues. I try to eat liver but I am not very good at it so I supplement with the vitamin A. My son also uses it for his acne. He consumes a lot of milk and OJ. When he decided he wasn't going to drink the OJ he had a breakout on his face. I told him it was because of all the nutrients he was getting from OJ.

OP
S

Shrimp

I do take Vitamin A, 7500IU of Nutrisorb A a day in water, and think it helps some. I'm also bad at getting the liver in; can't stand the taste. My doctor ran Vit A tests recently, last month and a few months ago, and I was slightly low each time so I know I do need it, but I don't want to supplement too much as my temps have been low. I remember Peat saying too much can suppress the thyroid, and hypo people only need ~5000IU.
-----------
I've been reading a book about anxiety and panic attacks. The author calls them a "nervous illness" triggered by a sensitization of the nervous system to adrenaline. Something I found interesting is her suggestion for people with these issues to focus on drinking milk while recovering, especially if they can't get other food down. Sounds kind of familiar. :D

Have started taking 325mg aspirin dissolved in water, and one drop Thorne K2 topically.

Swandattur

I remember when I had a bad outbreak of panic attacks back in the 80s. The psychologist I went to said he had a brother involved in research on panic attacks. I guess they still haven't figured it out. Do you suppose people have always had panic attacks? It seems like people would have to have been tougher a few hundred years ago.

OP
S

Shrimp

That's a good question! I'd guess that panic attacks have probably existed ever since humans started moving from a hunter-gatherer society into a more industrialized one. The same nervous system responses that served people well in spurts while chasing prey and escaping from dangers in nature become confused by constant everyday stressors. Seems like the trick to curing them is accepting them and showing the body/brain that nothing bad will happen by doing so. Then, gradually, the nerves calm down. I do think that thyroid and blood sugar issues have something to do with them in many cases, though!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Shrimp I tend to think you are having the estrogen dominant problems that Rayser and other women talk about. Sorry if this has been brought up and discussed before.

Swandattur

All that stuff, estrogen, thyroid, and blood sugar must play into it, and the weird stresses of civilization.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Charlie: I have considered that I may be estrogen dominant, but I've had both estrogen and progesterone blood work done, and both are mid-range. Also, my cycles have always been pretty much regular, I've never used hormonal birth control, don't drink/eat from plastics with BPA etc. It's still a possibility since progesterone does help some, but I'm not really sure since I don't have many of the symptoms and they overlap with hypo a lot.

OP
S

Shrimp

Been having some problems with waking up very frequently to use the bathroom, four or five times per night. I'm even more tired during the day because of the frequent waking, though it doesn't take me long to fall back to sleep when I wake. Though I might be low on salt, but I really don't crave it and too much just makes me thirsty for plain water.

Still having trouble getting full without starches. Eating meat helps some. No idea how some people on these forums get by with mostly milk, cheese, oj and coffee. I'm not losing weight (thankfully) but I feel constantly hungry. Not craving anything, though.

Anxiety/brain fog improved some. Still there, but quite not as bad.

Attachments

• Meal+Plan+and+Recipe+Book-1.pdf
    542.8 KB · Views: 123
OP
S

Shrimp

I think the adaptogenic herbs (rhodiola, ashwaghanda, holy basil) supplement I am taking might be having diuretic effects. I've been peeing -so much- starting about a week or so after I started taking them. Really not sleeping well; super tired. Trying to take more salt (1tsp/day) because I'm afraid I might be losing sodium with all the fluid I'm passing. Temps are ok (97.9 waking, ~98.3 mid-day), pulse 75-85. Still constantly hungry...I kind of want to just binge on ice cream but not sure that'd be a good idea. :lol:

Swandattur

Since this thread mentions acne as an issue, I thought I'd post this here in case it might be helpful. Maybe it has already been mentioned.

"I never considered the harmful effects of fluoride until I figured out that my chronic cystic acne was caused by fluoride ingestion, a condition called fluoroderma.

The level of fluoride added to most municipal water supplies is low enough not to cause a problem for most people. But fluoride accumulates in the body, so the more fluoride you’ve been exposed to over your lifetime, the greater your chance of having a negative reaction to it. I believe my fluoroderma was caused by the fluoride pills my dentists prescribed to me as a child (we had well water so I was missing the “positive” effects of fluoridated water).

Other foods contain fluoride besides foods made with fluoridated water. For me, the worst offended is non-organic chicken. It is high in fluoride because of the fluoride-based pesticides on the feed they consume. As with humans, it accumulates in their bones, skin, and fat. I don’t have a reaction to non-organic chicken as long as I stick to white meat. Mechanically de-boned chicken products (e.g. ground chicken, chicken, chicken nuggets, etc.) are ridiculously high in fluoride. Chicken soup made from non-organic bones will cause my skin to break out for two weeks!

Since I’ve been blogging about fluoroderma, I’ve heard from many other people who figured out they have the same condition. I suspect it is much more common than we think."

There is more from other posters after that, but I thought this was very interesting and does go along with Peat's views.

Melissa wrote on May 23rd, 2011Reply

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-fluor ... z2Z8ZEOo72

OP
S

Shrimp

That is interesting about fluoride causing acne. I've been avoiding it anyway because I'd read it was bad for the thyroid and haven't really noticed a change in my skin, but I'm sure some people would benefit if they don't avoid it already!

-------

The excessive bathroom runs at night issue seems to be resolving. I'm only getting up once or twice now as opposed to every hour.

Temps and pulse are decent (97.7-98.0 waking temp, 75-85bpm), but I still feel really lousy. :/ Spacey and disoriented, weak, tired, very anxious. I could probably sleep all day if I didn't have to work or eat. Had labs done on Wed (TSH, Free T3 and T4, Reverse T3, Prolactin, ACTH, Cortisol, sex hormones), and should know the results in a few weeks.

Still trying to dial in how much salt I need to be eating. I don't drink as much as most people here, I think; maybe 2 glasses of OJ and 3-4 glasses of milk per day. I get approx. 1-2tsps mixed in liquids and then salt my meat and potatoes to taste.

mandance

I think all anxiety stems from a lack of control and a fear of death. Oddly, control doesnt exist in life, in any way shape or form. Anyways, just a thought as I also suffer from anxiety and depression. Sounds like you are doing well with the physical side of health...how are you spiritually and mentally? I would tend to think that maybe you need to focus more on those things and less on diet perhaps....I know that a lack of inner peace can create the anxiety. Do you meditate, go to counseling, pray, have any sort of religious or spiritual practice? If not, you might want to look into adding that to your arsenal. I have recently began to focus more so on those things and less on diet...but im also off anti depressants now and going through withdrawel hell so its pretty much forcing me to do all those things in order to keep my sanity. Anyhow, keep it up...sounds like you are on the path.

J

j.

mandance said:
I think all anxiety stems from a lack of control and a fear of death. Oddly, control doesnt exist in life, in any way shape or form. Anyways, just a thought as I also suffer from anxiety and depression. Sounds like you are doing well with the physical side of health...how are you spiritually and mentally? I would tend to think that maybe you need to focus more on those things and less on diet perhaps....I know that a lack of inner peace can create the anxiety. Do you meditate, go to counseling, pray, have any sort of religious or spiritual practice? If not, you might want to look into adding that to your arsenal. I have recently began to focus more so on those things and less on diet...but im also off anti depressants now and going through withdrawel hell so its pretty much forcing me to do all those things in order to keep my sanity. Anyhow, keep it up...sounds like you are on the path.

I think the mind can't do anything in some situations when the body and the cells go out of control. Ray Peat said PUFAs amplify the stress reactions, saturated fats make it end, so I think the type of fat we have stored is a major factor in anxiety.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals