Shrimp's Peat Log- Thyroid, Anxiety And Acne Issues, Oh My!

HDD

Re: Shrimp's Peat log- thyroid, anxiety and acne issues, oh

That is great, Shrimp!
I get Jarlsburg Swiss cheese. Walmart carries it but I find that BJ's price is better. Maybe homemade milkshakes using hd vanilla plus frozen fruit.

I am pretty sure you can order the minocycline online.

HDD

Do you drink Mexican coke or Pepsi throwback? They both help me when feeling sick to stomach. Just a thought. I had an upset stomach this morning and then ate lunch out. Cheeseburger sliders and baked potato. After I felt even worse. Drank half of a Pepsi and belched a few times and stomach distress was gone.

Swandattur

Shrimp, I lose track of where I've been posting. It does sound as if you are having blood sugar problems. Before I got mine under control I was very inclined to be cranky in the mornings, and stayed hungry all the time. The no starch diet with plenty of fruit and sugar, too, has worked well for me. I like ginger ale made with real ginger and sugar for upset stomach. Maybe you could keep some by your bed for in the morning like a pregnant lady. I always liked soda crackers, but they contain more than one bad ingredient. The salt and soda must have been the active ingredients against upset stomach.
Allergens and histamine intolerance can cause panicky feelings.

Swandattur

Here's a very cheap monitor. I think it's the one I use. Whoops! It won't paste. It is on amazon and it is the Trueresult monitor kit which I believe comes with ten test strips. It was under two dollars with four dollars for shipping. I guess they want you to use their device, but it works well and is easy to use. Test strips are usually on sale prices on amazon. With ten test strips, you can find out what your blood sugar is like after some meals. You are supposed to check an hour and then two hours after a meal. Of course even if you get pretty normal blood sugars, you could still be having what your body interprets as hypoglycemia. My older son gets really cranky and very moody if he doesn't eat on time. If you aren't in the US, I guess things may be different about buying a blood sugar monitor.http://www.amazon.com/TRUEResult-Blood- ... _3777171_1 There it is. I got it to work.

HDD

Shrimp, sorry about posting so much. I thought this post from Rayser might be helpful:

Rayser wrote:
What you describe as panic attack sound very familiar. Only I know it as hypoglycaemia. I believe that every diet without sugar is a recipe for disease. When I was were you seem to be right now I started using salt therapeutically and sugar. Salt one to three table spoons a day to lower Parathyroid Hormone and help my thyroid function recover and sugar to normalize the metabolism and repair cells. 

Signs and symptoms (from Wikipedia)

Hypoglycemic symptoms and manifestations can be divided into those produced by the counterregulatory hormones (epinephrine/adrenaline and glucagon) triggered by the falling glucose, and the neuroglycopenic effects produced by the reduced brain sugar.

1. Adrenergic manifestations:
Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness
Palpitations, tachycardia
Sweating, feeling of warmth (although sweat glands have muscarinic receptors, thus "adrenergic manifestations" is not entirely accurate)
Pallor, coldness, clamminess
Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
Feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (paresthesia)

2. Glucagon manifestations:
Hunger, borborygmus
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
Headache

3. Neuroglycopenic manifestations
Abnormal mentation, impaired judgment
Nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns
Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
Personality change, emotional lability
Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
Confusion, amnesia, lightheadedness or dizziness, delirium
Staring, "glassy" look, blurred vision, double vision
Flashes of light in the field of vision
Automatic behavior, also known as automatism
Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for "drunkenness"
Focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis
Paresthesia, headache
Stupor, coma, abnormal breathing
Generalized or focal seizures

Not all of the above manifestations occur in every case of hypoglycemia. There is no consistent order to the appearance of the symptoms, if symptoms even occur. Specific manifestations may also vary by age, by severity of the hypoglycemia and the speed of the decline. In young children, vomiting can sometimes accompany morning hypoglycemia with ketosis. In older children and adults, moderately severe hypoglycemia can resemble mania, mental illness, drug intoxication, or drunkenness. In the elderly, hypoglycemia can produce focal stroke-like effects or a hard-to-define malaise. The symptoms of a single person may be similar from episode to episode, but are not necessarily so and may be influenced by the speed at which glucose levels are dropping, as well as previous incidents.

And this recipe from another member -
Water recipe
1 litre of distilled water. Add 20 teaspoons sucrose and 3 teaspons of salt. Doesnt need to be exact but I experimented and found that to be good for me. I just sip on that all day on top of all the meals (solid and liquid). This balances my diet and thyroid/pregnenolone supps, stops me from getting that jittery feeling at all in the day.

Jenn

Cram of tartar (potassium) is really helpful for blood sugar issues.

You can eat Brie cheese for antibiotics or other penicillin based cultured cheese.

Eat lowfat and frequent small meals to aid stomach digestion. Chew well. Carbonated drinks are good and club soda with oj might be easier on the stomach lining than straight OJ. An irritated stomach lining can cause nausea. Make sure you are getting plenty of gelatin. I have had my share of days eating pretty much homemade gummy candy. Sugar, gelatin and protein, minerals (especially potassium) are what the liver needs. It likes sat fat too, but it can make its own with enough sugar.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Haagendazendiane: Thank you so much for all the help! :) Never thought to check for cheese at BJs; will have to make a trip sometime this week. Milkshakes sound delicious right now since it is 100 degrees out! As far as the Mexicoke goes, I'm a bit afraid of what the caffeine might do to me since I have some issues with coffee. Reading the hypoglycemia symptoms, they could certainly be a factor in my "attacks." I'm going to try to go starch free for a week and see if I have any improvement.

@ Swandattur: Thank you for the suggestion on an affordable monitor! I'm pretty squeamish about pricking myself, but if it can provide some clues to what's going on then I'll get over it. Ginger ale has helped me a bit with nausea, too.

@ Jenn: How do you take the cream of tartar? I've never heard of it. I'll have to try the club soda with oj, as I have been noticing more irritation with it lately. I eat about 1-2 tbsps of gelatin a day; not sure it is enough. I'll poke around for a good gummy candy recipe; I'd been eating some I bought at the store but the ingredients aren't ideal. Thanks for the suggestions!

----
First day of my cycle today, and ended up sleeping most of the day away. Super tired and foggy, no motivation to get much done. :/ Temps/pulse kind of low.

Starting an adrenal support supplement of adaptogenic herbs today. I know that the whole "adrenal fatigue" thing is bull, but I don't think the supplement will hurt to try. It's certainly less risky than the SSRI my doc wanted to put me on...

For some reason I've been craving greek yogurt with honey. I know the lactic acid isn't ideal, but I've been eating a bit of it anyway for a snack. It goes down easier than milk or cheese.

Also, stopped using products on my skin or deliberately washing my face a few days ago. Acne is no worse than before so far. I don't think the products were doing anything.

Dutchie

Shrimp said:
@ Jenn: How do you take the cream of tartar? I've never heard of it. I'll have to try the club soda with oj, as I have been noticing more irritation with it lately. I eat about 1-2 tbsps of gelatin a day; not sure it is enough. I'll poke around for a good gummy candy recipe; I'd been eating some I bought at the store but the ingredients aren't ideal. Thanks for the suggestions!

For some reason I've been craving greek yogurt with honey. I know the lactic acid isn't ideal, but I've been eating a bit of it anyway for a snack. It goes down easier than milk or cheese.

Also, stopped using products on my skin or deliberately washing my face a few days ago. Acne is no worse than before so far. I don't think the products were doing anything.

Up until now I've only been making my gummies with Maple Syrup,so only recipe I can offer you;)
Basically 1 cup water,1 cup Maple Syrup,2 to 3 TBLsp. Gelatin(depends on how much I've got left and when the new stock is coming in) and then I also throw in some ground vanilla.
But (everybody start "Boo-ing") I don't like OJ/oranges which is a big thing here,so I was thinking about experimenting with using some OJ&Raw Cane Sugar to make gummies......maybe I can incorporate some orange that way.

Is it really that bad if you miss out on Oranges?

Swandattur

The device included in the kit makes pricking your finger easy. I don't think I could manage it without it. Greek yogurt is supposed to already be strained of the lactic acid. So, it should be fine. I wish I could sleep during the day when I'm tired. Instead I just go around like a zombie. :)
I have been taking Wellbutrin for ages now. It is not an SSRI. It helps to increase dopamine and, I think, noradrenaline. So, maybe it doesn't do too much harm, anyway. I think it's got to be better than the SSRIs. I believe it helps me.

Jenn

I add cream of tartar to my food, a little bit extra throughout the day....any time I eat/drink something not inherently high in potassium already, like an orange or potato.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Dutchie: Those maple gummies sound pretty good, thanks! Orange would be good too, but it's nice to have other flavors.

@ Swandattur: Good to know about the Greek yogurt; I've found it more filling than milk and it's an easy snack, so I'm going to keep eating it and see what happens. That's good that you've found a med that works for you; I'm afraid anything that boosts noradrenaline would drive me up the wall at this point. :lol: I've found the most benefit from a small amount of generic Ativan when things get out of control. The rest of the time I just kind of tough it out as best I can. Hoping things will improve with diet/thyroid given more time.

@ Jenn: Thanks! I'll give it a try.

----------------

Super tired. Temp was 97.5 when i woke this morning; lowest it's been in a long time. Woke up at 8, ate breakfast, got super sleepy and slept 10-1. Felt out of it the rest of the day, that annoying spacey not-with-it feeling, like being on the verge of fainting, which just makes me more anxious. Constant low-level headache, too. Alternating feeling hot and cold. Dad seems to think I need to exercise and get out more, but it's hard for me to tell if that will just make me worse when I feel like this. Standing on my feet for 4-8 hours at time at work a few days a week wipes me out to the point where I'm afraid how being more active would make me feel, especially where it is so hot and humid outside. Feeling like a whiny wimp.

Not having starches is kind of hard. Breakfast is bacon, hard-boiled egg and OJ. Lunch is meat and gelatin with coconut oil, some whole milk and fruit or grape juice. Dinner is the same, sometimes with shrimp instead of meat. Snacks are milk, greek yogurt, cheese, grapes, mango, OJ, carrot salad, and small amounts of all-natural deli meats. I have to eat constantly and still don't feel full, like I can't eat enough of the fruit stuffs to fill me. Didn't realize how much of my diet was potatoes until now. :|

Swandattur

At first on no starch I had to eat all he time, but after a little while it got much better. So, hopefully it will work for you.
I guess you have been to the doctor just to see if you have one of the things they diagnose?

OP
S

Shrimp

Swandattur said:
At first on no starch I had to eat all he time, but after a little while it got much better. So, hopefully it will work for you.
I guess you have been to the doctor just to see if you have one of the things they diagnose?
Good to know; I was planning on giving it a week or so for things to balance out. I know changes like this can take time to have any effect. I hope it works, too, but it's a good experiment either way, I think!

I've been working with a integrative medicine doctor for 2+ years on these issues and she's running out of ideas (wants me on an anti-depressant now). She even tested me for all these weird things (EBV, Coxsackie, Candida...). My TSH is around 2-3 when unmedicated, with free T3/T4 in low-normal range, so she diagnosed me with subclinical hypothyroidism and has been trying to treat the symptoms with various supplements and thyroid meds over the years. Nothing really helped, and the meds even sent me horribly hyperthyroid at one point, so that's why I'm trying to sort things out in this log. Maybe I or one of the other forum members can figure out something she couldn't.

Swandattur

I think going no starch is worth trying for hypoglycemic symptoms. It has really helped me that way. The no starch began helping within three or four days I would say, and I have gotten even better after doing it for a while. On the frequent need to eat thing, I believe that is normal at first. I think Ray Peat mentions that as happening until your liver starts storing glycogen, if I got the correct word. Maybe other members who take some of the thyroid supplements and progesterone supplements can help with the hypothyroid symptoms.

HDD

Are you using salt? Coffe with milk and sugar? Sugar in your milk? Coconut oil with snacks? I had to eat all the time at first to control hypoglycemia symptoms. I really didn't know what I was doing but was trying to follow Danny Roddy's book at the time. If I could do again, I think I would make sure I was getting the right combination in my snacks. I might be wrong but I think coconut oil can help with blood sugar. Are you getting enough protein? Minimum should be 80 grams.

How are your temperatures throughout the day? Pulse?

As your metabolism improves, so does your need for nutrients. Especially because you are thin you will need to increase the amount you eat to keep up.

Do you use Progest E?

P.S. I use to get anxiety when I had to drive over a bridge to mainland. This was a bridge I had driven over for years. Now I understand what was wrong. At the time, I didn't have a clue.

Another thought, co2, from carbonated drinks and bag breathing might be helpful.

Swandattur

I have noticed since doing this diet, that I am much less fearful of things. I keep my cool a lot better. Recently, I have started waking up free of anxiety provided I haven't been eating something I'm sensitive to.

HDD

"Super tired. Temp was 97.5 when i woke this morning; lowest it's been in a long time. Woke up at 8, ate breakfast, got super sleepy and slept 10-1. Felt out of it the rest of the day, that annoying spacey not-with-it feeling, like being on the verge of fainting, which just makes me more anxious. Constant low-level headache, too..."

If you are eating eggs for breakfast, you have to make sure you drink enough OJ because they have very strong insulin response.

"It should be remembered that amino acids, especially in eggs, stimulate insulin secretion, and that this can cause hypoglycemia, which in turn causes cortisol secretion. Eating fruit (or other carbohydrate), coconut oil, and salt at the same meal will decrease this effect of the protein."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Egg whites can cause problems too.

I also thought of salt above like Diane did. Are you getting enough salt?

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Swandattur: Yeah I'd read that about the liver needing to build glycogen stores, as well. Makes sense! Trying to eat a lot of fruit/juice to help it out.

@ Haagendazendiane: I am taking about 1/2tsp of salt in my morning OJ, then 1/2 tsp in gelatin with lunch and another 1/2 in gelatin with dinner, so around 1-2tsps. a day. I don't really crave more than a sprinkling of it on my food, though. And after eating enough of it I get thirsty for plain ol' water. I don't know if I'm eating as much salt as most people here (seen people claiming to eat tablespoons of it?!?!) so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Can't tolerate coffee; makes me shakey and spacy, even with milk/sugar/gelatin or a meal. So I avoid it. I don't sugar my milk because I was afraid it would just lead to weird effects on my blood sugar.

I'm pretty sure I get enough protein from the milk, cheese, bacon, yogurt, gelatin and beef, but I'll tally it up just to make sure.

Waking temps have been 97.5-97.9, 98.2-98.4 during the day, pulse between 75-90 (up to 110 when really stressed). I've measured my blood pressure when I've had these scary panicky/faint-feeling episodes and it is high-normal where I'm usually low-normal.

I do use Progest-E, and so far it is the ONLY thing I have noticed has a definite positive benefit on my symptoms, albeit a subtle one. I've been doing the bag breathing randomly but I should probably try it more regularly, since I constantly feel short of breath.

I drink 8oz of OJ with the one egg yolk I eat. I have the same response/feeling all day no matter if I eat the egg or not.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone! I'm having a really rough time lately.

----------------------
What I don't get is what in the world is so wrong and imbalanced with my body that so many things don't seem to help the way they should? Despite labs showing hypo, thyroid supplementation has never given me stable energy or calmed me in any dose or form I took, even when I went on up to 125mcg(!!) of T3/day under my doctor's supervision. The 60mg NDT I'm on right now barely does anything. Avoiding PUFAs has brought me no relief in symptoms. Milk and cheese and salt and OJ do very little if anything to calm the hellish adrenaline surges I deal with daily, heart pounding, panicky, feeling like I'm going to faint at any moment, feeling so far away mentally and physically when people try to talk to me. I had to miss a wedding I was supposed to attend with my boyfriend today because I was so extremely out-of-it and shaky that I was afraid I'd plop and ruin the ceremony.

I am happy that so many have found relief for their problems with this way of eating, but I'm still having my doubts that it will work for me. I'll keep reading up and hoping things will eventually click and make sense.