Shrimp's Peat Log- Thyroid, Anxiety And Acne Issues, Oh My!

OP
S

Shrimp

Re: Shrimp's Peat log- thyroid, anxiety and acne issues, oh

@ Jenn: That makes sense. I've yet to find a sugar source I am comfortable downing large amounts of, though. My digestion is still quite weak while I'm constantly hungry, so I can't comfortably digest as many calories as I'd like, if that makes sense. I'll try whole milk like FunkOdyssey suggested; I'm stick thin anyway so I'm not concerned about gaining weight.

@ honeybee: I haven't tried the aspirin, no. Do you take it with food at all?

----------
So after sleeping fine last night, had another episode tonight of tossing and turning, heart racing and bad anxiety keeping me from sleeping all night. Perhaps I am still on too much thyroid medication? I don't have nights like this every night, fortunately, and they seem triggered by daily stressors. Pulse is high, temps are low/normal. They feel like surges of dread and don't really pass like a panic attack would; Ativan cut the intensity but I still felt like i was riding a roller coaster all night...was shaky/shivering and cold at one point. Yuck. Might cut down my dose from 60mg to 40...This is driving me nuts, though. How can I be overmedicated if my temps are still low/normal?

HDD

Shrimp, have you tried Epsom salt bath before bed and red light. I have been finding that I have a need for more magnesium. I believe you said you use magnesium oil? How do you determine how much to take?

Dutchie

Jenn said:
Sugar/fruit vs starch increases your metabolism...so yeah, you would need more food because you are using it better.

I'm still confused about indicators that metabolism is up (apart from pulse&temp?which aren't always trustworthy indicators IMO (and scared sh*tless) when I start to eat more&more,bc I sometimes think it's more about a certain missing nutrient/not the rigth balance or sod./pot.&fluid&hydration issues than exercise/movement&calories burned or the so-called 'high-metabolism&can't gain weigth'.

Dutchie

Shrimp said:
@ Jenn: That makes sense. I've yet to find a sugar source I am comfortable downing large amounts of, though. My digestion is still quite weak while I'm constantly hungry, so I can't comfortably digest as many calories as I'd like, if that makes sense. I'll try whole milk like FunkOdyssey suggested; I'm stick thin anyway so I'm not concerned about gaining weight.

@ honeybee: I haven't tried the aspirin, no. Do you take it with food at all?

----------
So after sleeping fine last night, had another episode tonight of tossing and turning, heart racing and bad anxiety keeping me from sleeping all night. Perhaps I am still on too much thyroid medication? I don't have nights like this every night, fortunately, and they seem triggered by daily stressors. Pulse is high, temps are low/normal. They feel like surges of dread and don't really pass like a panic attack would; Ativan cut the intensity but I still felt like i was riding a roller coaster all night...was shaky/shivering and cold at one point. Yuck. Might cut down my dose from 60mg to 40...This is driving me nuts, though. How can I be overmedicated if my temps are still low/normal?

Hi Shrimp,
I don't know about the supplements/antibiotics as I refuse to take any meds apart from some Vit.E and D(especially on darker days/winter) supplement.So,I have no idea if this tips gonna interfere but it migth be worth a shot.

Indeed if you want to consume dairy,you migth wanna start with whole milk or goatmilk which can be easier on digestion for various people and work your way up if you feel the need to skimmed. I came from virtually eating nothing caloriewise,kinda being scared which increased by Paleo-scene, and I unsubconsciously started with wholemilk products,bc I think immediately going lowfatdairy etc. migth cause some hypoglycemic episodes.
In the beginning I was all over the place,but in general the more consistently/daily I kept eating it (but along with probiotics/gelatin) I was able to handle more/bigger amounts of certain foods.
(There's also this theory that once metabolism goes/is up,you're able to handle more....don't know if that's true)

I also found that milk is easier digested when you put some sugar in it....now most people drink some warm milk with honey before bed in order to sleep better. I couldn't handle honey bc of it's higher free fructose and it migth cause your bloodsugar to rise too rapidly,bc I assume you migth have low bloodsugar(just like I had)?
I started with small amount of raw cane sugar and worked my way up,that has quite some minerals left in it including magnesium which migth help if you're indeed low on magnesium......
(If you're really brave you can add Blackstrap molasses to your milk but I personally find that it tastes awfull,so the raw cane sugar covers up that taste;))
Or if you really want a sugar that doesn't make your bloodsugar go crazy (bc that can also increase certain feelings), you can try Palmsugar or Coconutsugar/Gula Java.

Anyway start with small/tiny amounts and slowly increase if it feels well and you feel like more.

5magicbeans

Shrimp said:

I know this may sound too simple....but I've been spritzing my face with a mixture of salt and water recently and have found it to be helpful for acne.

Warning: May elicit memories of surfing ;)

Jenn

I wash with baking soda water, so similar. Softens skin without over drying and antibacterial.

Don't think of metabolism as a constant. It is related to nutrients and body function but also emotional/life events, the weather and your body's own agenda. That can change from day to day.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ Haagendazendiane: Thanks for suggestions! I haven't tried the red light, but I have tried epsom salt baths. They definitely relax me for a good hour, but then the anxiety returns. I'm going to try to spend more time in the sun and see if that helps some; I'm indoors most of the time now. As far as the magnesium oil I just do what the bottle says, 4-5 sprays/day, not sure how much mag. that would be really.

@ Dutchie: I've been drinking whole milk from grassfed cows for about a week now. My digestion was messed up before the milk but the milk didn't make it worse. My main problem with tolerating milk is bad acne. Even when I take a lot of Vitamin A it is still there, and I can't seem to handle eating liver. :\ I've been drinking the milk regardless of how terrible it makes my skin to see if it helps me feel better. I'll definitely try adding more sugar to the milk, as I tend to forget to do that. Thanks!

@ 5magicbeans and @ Jenn: Thanks for the suggestions! I've been trying to figure out what to use as a topical treatment that doesn't have a ton of ingredients; sounds good. I have definitely realized that my metabolism isn't constant; I can feel hypo when it is cool out and then hyper the next day if it is hot. I just haven't been able to find that happy medium where I feel well most days yet.

-----------
Barely slept on Sat. night, maybe got two hours, but dragged myself to work on Sun anyway. On my feet for 7 hours with no break and did ok despite feeling gross. Slept ok last night, fortunately. I have a -serious- problem handling any stress right now; I get shaky and lightheaded and panicky ugh. And this is minor stress, like taking the train out to see my boyfriend. I don't wanna think about what major stress would do to me. Looking into meditation/breathing exercises to try to blunt the stress response.

I feel like I am hungry most of the time but my digestion is poor (SO MUCH BURPING) and I can't eat enough to feel full. I tried substituting potatoes with melon and milk to avoid starch, but then I'm even more hungry and feel like I'm just full of fluid. I need something high calorie, filling and easy to digest that won't spike my blood sugar.

Dutchie

Shrimp said:
Barely slept on Sat. night, maybe got two hours, but dragged myself to work on Sun anyway. On my feet for 7 hours with no break and did ok despite feeling gross. Slept ok last night, fortunately. I have a -serious- problem handling any stress right now; I get shaky and lightheaded and panicky ugh. And this is minor stress, like taking the train out to see my boyfriend. I don't wanna think about what major stress would do to me. Looking into meditation/breathing exercises to try to blunt the stress response.

I feel like I am hungry most of the time but my digestion is poor (SO MUCH BURPING) and I can't eat enough to feel full. I tried substituting potatoes with melon and milk to avoid starch, but then I'm even more hungry and feel like I'm just full of fluid. I need something high calorie, filling and easy to digest that won't spike my blood sugar.

Have you tried Rice Porridge? Add lots of ground cinnamon tastes delicious,IMO, and keeps your bloodsugar balanced so no spike.

honeybee

Hi Shrimp- I take the aspirin at night competly dissolved in h20 no food. Also take 250 mg Niacinamide, 200 'mg magnesium. I sleep really good with that combo.
FYI if you're taking d3, take it only in the morning. Same goes for vit k (at least for me it affects my sleep).
Edit- I use pure aloe Vera on my face - great non irritating moistruizer. You coul mx it with a lil coco oil if you don't care for the oiliness.

OP
S

Shrimp

Dutchie said:
Shrimp said:

Have you tried Rice Porridge? Add lots of ground cinnamon tastes delicious,IMO, and keeps your bloodsugar balanced so no spike.
I haven't tried rice porridge but it does sound good! Unfortunately I'm trying to limit starches to see if that helps balance my blood sugar. It's been a challenge. :lol:

@honeybee: Interesting about the D3, K etc. affecting your sleep. I only take Magnesium, Calcium, Inositol and Niacinamide at night, and they do seem to help some. The aloe sounds great, too; my skin is pretty irritated. Thanks!

------

Had some serious stress today; came out ok, if a bit shakey and headachey. Maybe I can handle more than I think I can.

God this burping is obnoxious. It's coming from deep within my gut, it feels. Gotta do something 'bout them gut bacteria; sounds like they're having a party. I've also been really short of breath, needing to sigh a lot. Probably just stress. Pulse is high, 85-90, temps are 98.0-98.5. My temp. randomly goes up when I'm stressed? I noticed feeling really warm after crying today.

Got labs done yesterday; doc did TSH only this time, claiming we tested Free T3/T4 in April and that we didn't need to test them again until my TSH is "better." Bwuh? She had been testing my Free T3/T4 every time now for years; have to ask her why the sudden change to reliance on a useless TSH test. Hope I don't have to find another doctor or even self treat, but I'll do what I need to feel better. I might have better luck with someone else at this point...

Dutchie

I'm no doctor but I regularly read that high pulse,temps and shortness of breath are common signs of a hyper thyroid. So,maybe your thyroid is working a bit too much/fast?

OP
S

Shrimp

Dutchie said:
I'm no doctor but I regularly read that high pulse,temps and shortness of breath are common signs of a hyper thyroid. So,maybe your thyroid is working a bit too much/fast?
It's really hard to tell if my symptoms are due to too much thyroid or too much adrenaline, as I still get cold hands/feet and am exhausted all the time, which would seem to indicate that I am HYPOthyroid. My temperature varies with the external temperature so easily that I wonder if it is an adrenal issue, but the Peat wisdom is that adrenal issues are really thyroid related. Man this stuff is confusing :lol: Time to read some more!

4peatssake

Shrimp said:
Dutchie said:
It's really hard to tell if my symptoms are due to too much thyroid or too much adrenaline, as I still get cold hands/feet and am exhausted all the time, which would seem to indicate that I am HYPOthyroid. My temperature varies with the external temperature so easily that I wonder if it is an adrenal issue, but the Peat wisdom is that adrenal issues are really thyroid related. Man this stuff is confusing :lol: Time to read some more!
Hang in there Shrimp! :grouphug

I hear you on how it can seem confusing - especially on adrenals. I don't think it's not that our adrenals are not overworked - just that "adrenal fatigue" is a symptom of an improperly working thryoid. Fix the thryoid problem - the stress hormones take a vacation - adrenals have little work to do etc.

At least that is my take.

So, it does sound like your stress hormones are out of whack rather than being hyper - but believe me I am no expert, just a hunch on what I've read on your log and the cold/hands feet and exhaustion.

Sometimes I think too, we need to take a break from focusing too much on our bodies (well, speaking for myself :lol: ) and have some fun. I also think stress relievers like baths in epsom salt and baking soda (aspirin too if that works for you), red light therapy and some form of meditation is important too.
And laughter - it's the best medicine after all! :tease

Swandattur

I am eating a no starch diet aside from occaisional experiments. My blood sugars seem to stay mostly below 100 after food including fruit and sugar. Sometimes a blood sugar will be up to 112 say, but rarely more than that. (I have tested out as having mild diabetes.) I think food allergens can cause higher blood sugars, too, of course. If I eat a starch my BSs will be high for a few days after that.

Jenn

Shrimp said:
Dutchie said:
My temperature varies with the external temperature so easily that I wonder if it is an adrenal issue, but the Peat wisdom is that adrenal issues are really thyroid related. Man this stuff is confusing :lol: Time to read some more!

Feed the liver, the rest will take care of itself.;) The adrenals kick in only when the liver has run out of fuel. The thyroid can be working, but the T4 will go to waste if the liver cannot convert it.

OP
S

Shrimp

@ 4peatssake: Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! Things have been really rough lately. Warm epsom salt baths are wonderful. I try to have fun but it is hard when I am feeling so panicky and weak and out of it, just makes me want to retreat from life in general. I'm trying my best not to do so. :)

@ Swandattur: Sounds like starch-free is the way to go, then! I do feel like my blood sugar is all over the place. Those potatoes are just so durn tasty. :(

@ Jenn: If my understanding is correct, sugars and protein feed the liver?

----
Saw my doctor today, and I think she is officially out of ideas. TSH was 0.56, so pretty low. Temps have been in 98.3 range. Symptoms persist and worsen. Since the natural remedies we've tried aren't working, she prescribed me an SSRI anti-depressant (Lexapro) for the anxiety, which I am not planning on taking because it is not addressing the root of the problem. I had a panic episode on the way to/in the office, as well. I'm never really sure if it's panic or another weird stress response, I get dizzy/lightheaded/nauseous/shaky. It comes randomly and in waves. I feel like I'm "not there" or like I'm going to faint or something, even though I don't. Scary stuff. Wondering if I have serotonin issues, but doctor won't test for them because she "wouldn't know how to interpret the results." Huh? I might need a new doctor; not sure this one can help me anymore. It's no fun to get slapped across the face when you're feeling very sick by your doctor basically telling you it's all in your head, but I don't blame her with all we've tried. It has been a long 2-3 years.

HDD

Have you ruled out blood sugar? When I started following Peat diet I had to eat all the time to deal with blood sugar issues. I can go longer now. I have a daughter that used to have very extreme issues that were never dx as blood sugar but pretty sure that was causing the problems. Thinking about it now, she probably was hypo. too.

Are you eating enough?

OP
S

Shrimp

Haagendazendiane said:
Have you ruled out blood sugar? When I started following Peat diet I had to eat all the time to deal with blood sugar issues. I can go longer now. I have a daughter that used to have very extreme issues that were never dx as blood sugar but pretty sure that was causing the problems. Thinking about it now, she probably was hypo. too.

Are you eating enough?
Hi Haagendazendiane,
I haven't ruled out blood sugar because I can't afford a meter to test my levels. I'm sure it is a part of things, as I wake up hungry and nauseous a lot, and get irritable and shaky if I go too long without food. It's hard for me to eat enough when I get that way due to the nausea, and I have difficulty digesting what I do eat. Even orange juice is kinda rough on my stomach now. :/ I'm probably not eating enough but I'm very sedentary and not losing weight so it's hard to tell.

I think I might e-mail Peat and see if he has any ideas.

OP
S

Shrimp

Peat sez:

"I think something about your diet is causing the high prolactin, a little vitamin B6 sometimes lowers that. Prolactin and toxins from poor digestion are probably causing the acne. If a daily carrot salad doesn't help your digestion, maybe a small amount of an antibiotic could help; minocycline is often used that way, and if the acne weren't a problem, than you could use more milk and cheese. Milk and cheese have antistress effects that would help with the adrenaline and anxiety."

He got back to me so quickly even though I basically wrote him an essay. :oops: I've debated upping my dairy intake despite the acne, might be worth a try if it could balance things out. I just need to find some good cheese. I could also probably easily get some minocycline from a dermatologist, though I fear it making me feel worse since I'm already feeling weak.

J

j.

Shrimp said:
I've debated upping my dairy intake despite the acne, might be worth a try if it could balance things out.

I would do that. I actually had horrendous acne when I started Peating. Over the months it went away.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals