Hypothyroid, Anxiety, Insomnia, Cellulite, Dental Decay Log 1

walker_in_aus

I've been to many doctors, GP and Naturopathic. I have finally found one with some answers that aren't sad and vague and complicated. I have several extremely stressful periods in my early 20s and I've continuously damaged my metabolism since. I am going to begin logging my experiences while I start adding some Peat style influences in my life.

Sun: Not a problem, it's spring in Southern Australia. I can get morning and afternoon sun
OJ: Two glasses a day with a scoop of collagen/gelatin
Protein: Eggs, Gelatin, Osso Bucco, Lamb Shanks, Mince with Gelatin, need to add in liver and prawns...
Dairy: So far milk makes me itchy and... blocked up. So I'm just eating two to 3 slices of cheese a day
Fruit: Upping my fruit (I was eating zero coz fructose is bad for you right?!?!) to two pieces a day (watermelon, stewed apple, mandarins)

Supplements: Have been given B-complex and Pregnenolone (Energin and Stressnon, thanks Haidut!) which I'm taking. Awaiting the T3 in the mail. I'm also on L-Theanine and Gaba750 to calm my system. Also, doc is prescribing me MARSHMALLOWS :)

Baseline: Morning Temps average about 35.9 (96.6) but reduces to average 35.4 (95.7) after breakfast.
BPM: 72-80BPM

I have had awful tooth decay the previous two years, severe anxiety and insomnia (managble now, only 1-2 night per week and I still get 4-5 hours), I rapidly developed cellulite from my bum to my ankles in the last 3 years. I also had chillblains on my toes this years no matter how much clothing I wore at work. CHILLBLAINS I TELL YOU!

I will log my temps once I start taking the T3, and move on to more targeted experiments after I get some warmth back in my toes.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

First Experiment: Honey for Morning Insomnia.

One thing I picked up on reading the Peat/Listening to the Danny Rodd info the last few weeks is maintaining blood sugar overnight. Now, My doctor is relatively sure the main problem with my thyroid hormones is the conversion in the liver. Which leads me to think that my liver is a bit fckcuckled. Which I was pondering as I lay awake with insomnia and anxiety this morning at 4am. I may have cured my inability to fall asleep, but I do frequently wake up early in the morning, and am unable to fall back asleep due to mild to severe "adrenaline rushes".

Theory - my liver isn't great so liver glycogen stores suck. These run out overnight, and then my body starts using cortisol to do the whole eating myself thing to maintain energy levels. Hence, insomnia and panic feelings.

Experiment - When this next happens I am going to eat a spoonful of honey and a little bit of salt and see if I can fall back to sleep.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

Woke up early this morning. Had teaspoon of honey. Was still plagued by early morning panic insomnia.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Woke up early this morning. Had teaspoon of honey. Was still plagued by early morning panic insomnia.
Maybe try a piece of cheese and a tablespoon or two of honey. I find that a snack with carbs, protein and fat helps me fall back asleep.

InChristAlone

I have a similar issue, waking up at least once a night with adrenaline, not always but it is a chronic issue. I deal with it by taking sugar and going back to sleep. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't know about this trick! Peat says sometimes you can overcome the wake up by setting your alarm and having a snack before the time you normally wake up. Then the next night you might skip the wake up, I haven't tried this yet. I hate alarms!

@walker_in_aus

Hey man
Sometimes when our bodies doesn't have enough minerals and vitamins

It causes insomnia
Try to add 4 eggs a day to ur daily diet

Eggs are full of nutrients
Just give it a try

Sugar helps
Salt helps
Coffee during the day and at night helps
Sun helps
Walking during the day when it's sunny helps
Walking before or after dinner helps

Give the eggs a try
I believe in eggs that they are the smartest playmaker

Good luck

My protein intake was low though

And I used to feel anxiety and sleep like 5 to 6 hours

@Dopamine advised me to get more protein into my diet

And it helped a lot
Thanks to him

How tall are you ?
What do u weight ?
How old are you?
Daily activity ?

Dopamine

Tianeptine is helping me with anxiety and depression, Niacinamide is worth trying as well and perhaps lysine.

If you are having problems with milk- try lactose free. Works for me. Cheese is good.

How many calories are you eating? From the sounds of it you are eating very few calories. This will cause anxiety and panic in my experience- especially if low calories are combined with coffee. Maybe relax a bit with the dieting- it is better to eat less ideal foods with adequate calories than to live in constant semi-starvation. macaroni and cheese for example is a good anti-stress food as long as it is digesting ok, mashed potatoes with butter and salt is another good one... eating foods that are tasty and palatable is a great way to lower stress. I can eat wayyy more milk if I combine it with organic puffed corn cereal because it is more palatable and calorically dense. Oil free pretzels and cheese can be good for insomnia by lowering adrenaline. Try not to micromanage diet too much and really listen to the body and cravings. Avoiding PUFA is the main priority. Eat balanced meals of saturated fat, protein, and carbs.

Building muscle is a good way to reduce body fat (that's what cellulite is). Muscle tissue burns fatty acids at rest so it is good to build up some muscle.

Maybe try a piece of cheese and a tablespoon or two of honey. I find that a snack with carbs, protein and fat helps me fall back asleep.
Thanks Blossom. I have the same issues and thought it might have been cardiac until I read Ray Peat.I haven't been eating well as my Dad has been sick ( but he is 99 and still sleeps better than me!)I have been anxious all day and night and just tried DEXTROSE as I had run out of sugar. ( Paul Jaminet said to try that a while ago) It seems to have hit the spot and given me some relief/ energy.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

Thanks Blossom, I'll try having more :)

My protein intake was low though

And I used to feel anxiety and sleep like 5 to 6 hours

@Dopamine advised me to get more protein into my diet

And it helped a lot
Thanks to him

How tall are you ?
What do u weight ?
How old are you?
Daily activity ?

I am 176cm and 80kgs (176 pounds). Not seriously overweight but getting heavier. I'm 27, and I'm currently not doing much exercise, just some walking and gardening. Doc advised nothing much more than that at the minute.

Tianeptine is helping me with anxiety and depression, Niacinamide is worth trying as well and perhaps lysine.

If you are having problems with milk- try lactose free. Works for me. Cheese is good.

How many calories are you eating? From the sounds of it you are eating very few calories. This will cause anxiety and panic in my experience- especially if low calories are combined with coffee. Maybe relax a bit with the dieting- it is better to eat less ideal foods with adequate calories than to live in constant semi-starvation. macaroni and cheese for example is a good anti-stress food as long as it is digesting ok, mashed potatoes with butter and salt is another good one... eating foods that are tasty and palatable is a great way to lower stress. I can eat wayyy more milk if I combine it with organic puffed corn cereal because it is more palatable and calorically dense. Oil free pretzels and cheese can be good for insomnia by lowering adrenaline. Try not to micromanage diet too much and really listen to the body and cravings. Avoiding PUFA is the main priority. Eat balanced meals of saturated fat, protein, and carbs.

Building muscle is a good way to reduce body fat (that's what cellulite is). Muscle tissue burns fatty acids at rest so it is good to build up some muscle.

I mean I feel like I get enough calories? I always eat if I'm hungry, which is often. I usually have two eggs with cheese and a glass of OJ with a scoop of collagen for breakfast. I'm having fruit and cheese for snacks, and usually meat and potatoes for lunch with butter, and marshmallows, and gummy bears every so often. Dinner is normally meat and vegies, some chocolate after. I cook everything in butter or coconut oil. I wouldn't have thought it was low?

Have you tried androsterone?
And also include salt in your early morning pinch.

G'luck

I have not tried androsterone? I am taking pregnenolone, and just started Tyronene... See how I am after a week of that, 30mcg a day.

Dopamine

I mean I feel like I get enough calories? I always eat if I'm hungry, which is often. I usually have two eggs with cheese and a glass of OJ with a scoop of collagen for breakfast. I'm having fruit and cheese for snacks, and usually meat and potatoes for lunch with butter, and marshmallows, and gummy bears every so often. Dinner is normally meat and vegies, some chocolate after. I cook everything in butter or coconut oil. I wouldn't have thought it was low?

That sounds alright. As long as you feel you are eating enough.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

That sounds alright. As long as you feel you are eating enough.

Well look I was certainly using fat over sugar to try and be keto/paleo for the last few years... with regular sugar binges i attributed to weakness! Hahaha. But I am just starting from scratch again and trying to eat things I crave... eggs and cheese together, watermelon, sugar but not pufas, potatoes... lord i've always loved potatos with butter and salt :D I'm going to get a basic meal structure going so I know I'm getting certain things I need but I love that I have lost all my guilt from sugar cravings. Now I can eat three marshmallows and stop because there isn't this demon inside me saying EAT IT ALL AND FORGET YOU DID IT

Dopamine

Well look I was certainly using fat over sugar to try and be keto/paleo for the last few years... with regular sugar binges i attributed to weakness! Hahaha. But I am just starting from scratch again and trying to eat things I crave... eggs and cheese together, watermelon, sugar but not pufas, potatoes... lord i've always loved potatos with butter and salt :D I'm going to get a basic meal structure going so I know I'm getting certain things I need but I love that I have lost all my guilt from sugar cravings. Now I can eat three marshmallows and stop because there isn't this demon inside me saying EAT IT ALL AND FORGET YOU DID IT

That's great :D! Sounds like you have made a lot of improvements!

There are lots of tasty recipes that can be made with Peaty ingredients. The only food that I am having trouble getting down is liver :wtf: Ray recommends around 4oz a week I believe and I feel great after eating it but the taste kills me...

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

That's great :D! Sounds like you have made a lot of improvements!

There are lots of tasty recipes that can be made with Peaty ingredients. The only food that I am having trouble getting down is liver :wtf: Ray recommends around 4oz a week I believe and I feel great after eating it but the taste kills me...

Well, I might be able to help! I'm not sure how strict you are about muscle meats, but if you chop it up finely, fry it up with mushrooms, onions and grass fed mince and a bit of gelatin and beef broth for gravy, then cook it in the over with some potato mash and parmesan on the top... fancy liver shepards pie! It's delicious and you don't notice as much. :)

Also... duck liver parfait - or free range chicken liver parfait? So. So. Good.

Dopamine

Well, I might be able to help! I'm not sure how strict you are about muscle meats, but if you chop it up finely, fry it up with mushrooms, onions and grass fed mince and a bit of gelatin and beef broth for gravy, then cook it in the over with some potato mash and parmesan on the top... fancy liver shepards pie! It's delicious and you don't notice as much. :)

Also... duck liver parfait - or free range chicken liver parfait? So. So. Good.

Thanks! I might have to try that

Back
Top Bottom