Results/experiences On A Fat Free Diet?

Peater Piper

My assumption would be that most animals in the wild would eat a naturally fat free/low fat diet,

For example herbavores would source mostly fruits and leafy greens containing minimal fat almost a purely carb diet
They'll likely ferment fiber into short chain fatty acids, though, which can be absorbed from the colon and used for energy.

CDT

What is your diet like? I can do a lower fat diet, but still need thing like nuts, soymilk, etc to feel satiated. Digestion was best on a vegetarian diet with beans, eggs, yogurt, lots of assorted greens, cooked root vegetables, peanut butter cacaoshakes, fruits, and of course: NO MEAT.

Lately, though, I have been feeling like crab or some sort of seafood would be a huge improvement.

BearWithMe

Humans have gallbladders for a reason. Fat-free diets are just as bad as zero-carb diets. There was a poster here who ended up with severe issues digesting fat after trying to get back into eating fat since his very low fat diet ended causing other problems.

Have Ruined My Gallbladder By Low Fat Diet, Now I Can't Get Back To Eating Fat
Was just about to post that link to my thread. All my attempts to reintroduce fat in my diet after a period of no-fat diet has failed so far.

I would also like to add that my mood, energy and libido plummeted after a few weeks of fat-free diet. I never felt so bad in my life.

Don't do that.

Originally i found it difficult but now i dont find myself hungry as much, id say i get between 2500-4000 calories sometimes so not so much, i do consume alot of sugar added in my milk sometimes like an extra 200g per day and that really keeps my apetite down and metabolic rate up i find

What does your supplemental Regimen look like?

Love it. Eating fat is always somewhat of a compromise for me. I see no need for it. Only when a person eats PUFA or has a history of it. Fat-free made me feel like a lifeless wimp when I was just starting Peating.

But now, epic blood sugar stability, clear head, strong dong. Fat makes me feel hungry and too full at the same time. Nothing like a high carb low fat diet for making it easy to go a long time between meals if necessary.

I think fat actually makes it harder to digest starch. Slows down digestion of it which doesn't feel good. When I eat fat with starch I feel like I have to only eat a small portion of starch (which is hard because fat makes me crave more carbs like crazy, I think it's because it makes it harder to use the carbs) but without fat I can totally pig out without problems.
I still sometimes use some coconut milk or feta cheese etc, it's not like it wrecks me. Plant-based most of the time though.

There's a little oil in every food so who's to say that isn't enough for getting the fat-soluble vitamins. I feel really good eating carrots and greens etc. I trust my intuition and experience over anything and carotene, vit E and vit K containing roots, tubers and greens make me feel really nourished. Better than liver, eggs and butter.

FrenchKiwi

Love it. Eating fat is always somewhat of a compromise for me. I see no need for it. Only when a person eats PUFA or has a history of it. Fat-free made me feel like a lifeless wimp when I was just starting Peating.

But now, epic blood sugar stability, clear head, strong dong. Fat makes me feel hungry and too full at the same time. Nothing like a high carb low fat diet for making it easy to go a long time between meals if necessary.

I think fat actually makes it harder to digest starch. Slows down digestion of it which doesn't feel good. When I eat fat with starch I feel like I have to only eat a small portion of starch (which is hard because fat makes me crave more carbs like crazy, I think it's because it makes it harder to use the carbs) but without fat I can totally pig out without problems.
I still sometimes use some coconut milk or feta cheese etc, it's not like it wrecks me. Plant-based most of the time though.

There's a little oil in every food so who's to say that isn't enough for getting the fat-soluble vitamins. I feel really good eating carrots and greens etc. I trust my intuition and experience over anything and carotene, vit E and vit K containing roots, tubers and greens make me feel really nourished. Better than liver, eggs and butter.
I am coming to realise that listening to how I feel after eating is so much more important than following someone else's plan. I tried frying my potatoes in coconut oil on the weekend and have suffered from nausea a stomach cramps for 2 days. So I have come full circle, back to self observation and awareness. Thanks for your update which shows you have done the same thing to find what works for you

BearWithMe

I am coming to realise that listening to how I feel after eating is so much more important than following someone else's plan. I tried frying my potatoes in coconut oil on the weekend and have suffered from nausea a stomach cramps for 2 days. So I have come full circle, back to self observation and awareness. Thanks for your update which shows you have done the same thing to find what works for you
Agree 100%. Everyone is unique and everyone is doing well on different diets. You just need to keep in mind that the bad reaction to foods may come even after 48 hours of eating it, which can make identifying the culprit really difficult sometimes.

It's a long and a bit frustrating journey, and takes a lot of mistakes and relentless observing, but when the pieces of the puzzle start to find their place it's super rewarding and empowering. Even though some of the things I do aren't what Peat would do, I'm sure Peat would think I'm doing the right thing 'cause I respect my own context over any "rules". :):

To me the core of Peating is:
-Eat sufficient carbs and protein
-Eat sufficient vitamins and minerals
-Avoid PUFA
-Listen to your body and do things you enjoy

This can fit a lot of different ways of eating. Not only our own context is completely unique compared to others, it also changes compared to itself. Can't step in the same river twice. We have to constantly be on guard so that the rigid shackles of the past won't kill the living flame. :p:

FrenchKiwi

It's a long and a bit frustrating journey, and takes a lot of mistakes and relentless observing, but when the pieces of the puzzle start to find their place it's super rewarding and empowering. Even though some of the things I do aren't what Peat would do, I'm sure Peat would think I'm doing the right thing 'cause I respect my own context over any "rules". :):

To me the core of Peating is:
-Eat sufficient carbs and protein
-Eat sufficient vitamins and minerals
-Avoid PUFA
-Listen to your body and do things you enjoy

This can fit a lot of different ways of eating. Not only our own context is completely unique compared to others, it also changes compared to itself. Can't step in the same river twice. We have to constantly be on guard so that the rigid shackles of the past won't kill the living flame. :p:
Agree 100 percent which is why I am done listening to other people. I have to learn what is right for me in this moment and let go of all the conflicting advice I have absorbed over the years. One of these ideas I couldn't let go of was the pervasive idea that protein is the most satiating macro. Well for me it isn't, potatoes and pumpkin beat protein on every level for me. So I will go with that. Its actually very liberating because I get so bogged down when I read too much, but my body seems to know what it wants if I can just relax and listen

Agree 100 percent which is why I am done listening to other people. I have to learn what is right for me in this moment and let go of all the conflicting advice I have absorbed over the years. One of these ideas I couldn't let go of was the pervasive idea that protein is the most satiating macro. Well for me it isn't, potatoes and pumpkin beat protein on every level for me. So I will go with that. Its actually very liberating because I get so bogged down when I read too much, but my body seems to know what it wants if I can just relax and listen

Ray Peat isnt convinced of intuitive eating at all,or is he?I thought he was about true Analysis.

FrenchKiwi

Ray Peat isnt convinced of intuitive eating at all,or is he?I thought he was about true Analysis.
I don't believe in eating whatever I crave or feel like either. I only eat foods I believe are beneficial to me and improve my well being. I have not eaten junk food or fast food or anything processed in over 30 years because it doesn't make me feel good

Zigzag

I don't believe in eating whatever I crave or feel like either. I only eat foods I believe are beneficial to me and improve my well being. I have not eaten junk food or fast food or anything processed in over 30 years because it doesn't make me feel good
Agree, if I ate like that I'd end up eating 2 kebaps a day, because I crave them all the time.

I think of the health/spiritual journey as a pendulum swinging from the left brain to the right brain until a balance is reached. From chaotic restless mess to peace and clarity. As a total newbie one may feel a strong intuitive pull of I NEED POTATO CHIPS but after eating them you feel like crap. After analyzing one may realize aha I needed the nutrition from the potato and maybe my electrolyte balance was out of whack but the PUFA was poisoning me. Slowly things get refined and our inner man and woman get married.

There's a billion different analytical theories and statistics out there but without doing the actual work of experimenting and listening to your body it's pretty much worthless.

Intuition is a feminine principle. Think of intuition as a princess that's really sensitive and gets hurt badly if you don't respect it lol. It needs the masculine to balance it, not to condemn it.

Hgreen56

Im noticing now im really starting to respond to carbohydrates better, for example i used to eat an entire 600g bag of frozen fruit and get no metabolic response and be shivering, now a bit of white rice or just same thing bag of frozen fruit and im noticing im heating up like a furnance,
Do you have experience with coconut oil?
Coconut oil has mct's that immediately used for energy in the liver.
Other fats doesnt have/do that.

jet9

I guess you can do low fat only if you eat starch / or drink milk; but if you eat mainly fruits / honey for your carbs then you need some type of fat (read meat, etc) with too feel satisfied.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals