Anxiety While Fat-free?

gabys225

I know there is essentially not much to worry about when going fat free, but as an experiment I tried to go as fat free as possible (couldn't do this without protein powders unfortunately but I wanted to see how I would feel) I would also have 1 oz of liver a day (my body never rejected it, I assume I needed the nutrients because my temp rose greatly) so I could get enough B vitamins. I drank lots of OJ with collagen and fat free milk with fat free whey. I supplemented with egg shell calcium and transdermal magnesium, as well as other trace minerals that have always helped my temp/mood.

Funny thing is, even though my temperature is always above 98.5 when I follow this diet, if i'm not moving or deeply engaged in anything I have TONS of anxiety. I eat something with a little fat and boom, it disappears. I like this diet because the last 2 weeks I've lost 4 lbs. and appear to be putting on more muscle (other people's observation not mine). I can also get lots of work done! No napping no procrastinating. But the tiniest things give me huge anxiety, and I am generally a calm person.

Taking a walk helps, talking to someone helps, but am I the only person who finds it strange that my body is changing favorably despite the fact that my experimental diet makes me feel very stressed?

Any ideas?

Mittir

I can think of two possibilities
Saturated fat is antibacterial and anti stress, especially coconut oil.
Adding saturated fat can lower bad bacteria, which results in lower endotoxin.
Another possibility is hyperthyroidism from replacing fat with carbohydrate.
I am assuming you added extra carb when you cut out fat.
Increasing carbohydrate increases T3 production.

jyb

unexamined_whimsy said:
Consider that dietary fat is necessary in the medium to long term for proper steroidogenesis.

Can't the body make it from sugar? RP says all the essential fats can be synthesized by the body if needed.

jyb

gabys225 said:
I know there is essentially not much to worry about when going fat free, but as an experiment I tried to go as fat free as possible (couldn't do this without protein powders unfortunately but I wanted to see how I would feel) I would also have 1 oz of liver a day (my body never rejected it, I assume I needed the nutrients because my temp rose greatly) so I could get enough B vitamins. I drank lots of OJ with collagen and fat free milk with fat free whey. I supplemented with egg shell calcium and transdermal magnesium, as well as other trace minerals that have always helped my temp/mood.

I wanted to try this experiment. What were your symptoms and what made you try this?

As Mittir said, maybe this is some insulin response or another stress caused by excess sugar too fast, which wouldn't occur if you ate with fat added. However, OJ shouldn't cause this thanks to its high potassium. Or maybe if you're fat, some pufa's get released without the protection of sat fats - just a theory.

jyb said:
unexamined_whimsy said:
Consider that dietary fat is necessary in the medium to long term for proper steroidogenesis.

Can't the body make it from sugar? RP says all the essential fats can be synthesized by the body if needed.

I don't have any references to support this. My own experience is that going too low with fat doesn't quite feel right. Another possibility that occurs to me that it may be a vehicle for fat-soluble nutrients that one may miss out on otherwise.

It would be interesting hearing other experiences, however they should be of sufficient duration as in the short term many things work alright.

Dewitt

If calorie intake is inadequate (which can easily be the case on a mostly fat-free diet, since calorie requirements increase quite a bit), the lipolytic stress hormones (cortisol, GH, adrenaline, amongst others) are secreted at a higher rate, which may cause anxiety. As a reference: When I still used to get about 30g of fat a day, I had to eat at least 3500 kcals per day to feel good, while being quite sedentary.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals