Ray peat wrong about casein having less inflamitory amino acids than whey?

Sapien

I often heard peat say that casein is lower in the inflammatory amino acids (methionine, cysteine, tryptophan) than whey, and I was curious to know how much of a difference there was.

After some searching, I kept finding (looked at 5+ analysis) that they actually have very similar amounts of these

Take This analysis for example

It has similar tryptophan, and more methionine
It does have half the cysteine for what its worth

Was ray wrong about this?

(casein is definitely still preferable as it is less insoligenic)

OP
Sapien

Sapien

Also if these online databases like cronometer are accurate it seems that casein is not any better than muscle meat in this regard?

Perhaps milk/ dairy is not an ideal food unless one is a growing mammal?

EustaceBagge

Also if these online databases like cronometer are accurate it seems that casein is not any better than muscle meat in this regard?

Perhaps milk/ dairy is not an ideal food unless one is a growing mammal?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRz7dJgCZw

It is not an ideal food if you're limp wristed indeed. Jokes aside, babies thrive on this stuff, good skin good bone growth good muscle growth good nutrients for brain development. Most complete food in nature Imo.

Sphagnum

I was under the impression that he preferred casein over whey due to whey having too much lactic acid (when not a manufactured isolate product.) I’d have to hear the amino profile stuff in context.

As far as muscle meat, I heard it explained as muscle meat being basically a refined food, whereas milk is more balanced and complete. There are a lot of benefits to milk outside of simply the protein content.

Xin

I was under the impression that he preferred casein over whey due to whey having too much lactic acid (when not a manufactured isolate product.) I’d have to hear the amino profile stuff in context.

As far as muscle meat, I heard it explained as muscle meat being basically a refined food, whereas milk is more balanced and complete. There are a lot of benefits to milk outside of simply the protein content.
How is muscle meat a refined food if that's what our ancestors thrived on for thousands of years?

Sphagnum

How is muscle meat a refined food if that's what our ancestors thrived on for thousands of years?
Muscle meat as a refined food is predicated on evidence that our ancestors did not thrive on muscle meat, and that eating in such a way is only a very recent practice. Rather, our ancestors thrived by making consistent dietary use of the organs, bones, connective tissue, entrails, blood, fat, skin, and so on.

OP
Sapien

Sapien

babies thrive on this stuff,
This is precisely my point though; peat said the growth aminos are useful for a growing mammals but that for lifespan they should be restricted in adulthood .

Haidut posted several studies on how restricting certain aminos drastically improves lifespan

OP
Sapien

Sapien

This is precisely my point though; peat said the growth aminos are useful for a growing mammals but that for lifespan they should be restricted in adulthood .

Haidut posted several studies on how restricting certain aminos drastically improves lifespan
From haidut :
"
If you believe the rodent studies showing improvements in health and increase in lifespan, tryptophan intake should be below 0.17% of diet (i.e. less than 170mg per 100g of diet) and methionine should be around 0.17% of diet.

Last edited:

sunny

I believe Peat's point about milk is that the calcium more than balances out those amino acids.

wzuo

Nope. It's not true. Not very long time ago people used to eat everything that was possible to eat from animal's body. Right now only best slices of meat are sold and rest is thrown out as a garbage or processed as dog's food etc.
What was possible to eat was eaten, from rest soups were made. For example in my region traditional dish is fish soup made from fish heads. Until I have discovered Peat I didn't realize how superfood it is.

FrostedShores

Just based on personal experience, I believe whey is more allergenic than casein. Isolated whey protein makes me sick to my stomach every time and causes acne breakouts/skin redness. I've tried plenty of different brands, too. Doesn't matter.
Casein on the other hand causes no problems whatsoever. IIRC, Haidut said greek yogurt is mostly casein, as well. I use it quite often without any issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals