Depleting Serotonin With BCAA

GreekDemiGod

You guys think this is a good BCAA product? BCAA Plus (Branched Chain Amino Acids) - 100 Vegetable Capsules | Solgar Vitamins & Supplements

upload_2019-12-5_12-34-44.png

Kunstruct

I'd buy bulk powder. But the above sup doesn't look to bad. B6 could help further increase Dopamine.

Or it could further increase GABA where B6 is a cofactor which you will notice it will go against Dopamine, reason which all GABA drugs produce increased prolactin or full blown hyperprolactinemia.

ddjd

Finally, to make the super cocktail even more potent one can add taurine, which has a number of good effects on the liver, mitochondria and brain (through GABA modulation). Ray Peat talks about it in some of his articles.
what would happen if one took methylene blue with the BCAA+ tyrosine+ b6p5p+ taurine stack, wouldnt that increase dopamine even more?

Welp, then it's time to add gelatin and goat milk protein and cyproheptadine to the combo, yeah?
I already tried it with cyproheptadine, wouldn't adding more phenylalanine (from the protein) to the 2g I'm already taking start to inhibit dopamine, seeing as phenylalanine does that at higher doses?

tankasnowgod

I already tried it with cyproheptadine, wouldn't adding more phenylalanine (from the protein) to the 2g I'm already taking start to inhibit dopamine, seeing as phenylalanine does that at higher doses?
Phenylalanine shouldn't inhibit dopamine, since it's a precursor.

cs3000

there's a sensitivity increasing problem from doing this

Thats what I was wondering - wouldn't sensitivity of dopamine receptors just decrease / sensitivity of serotonin receptors increase in response to the neurotransmitter availability changing?

which would make this only effective for acute use right, instead of how people use it for ongoing serotonin lowering effect

"studies have shown that TRP depletion produces postsynaptic receptor supersensitivity, presumably secondary to reduced synaptic availability of 5-HT" - Tryptophan depletion and its implications for psychiatry | The British Journal of Psychiatry | Cambridge Core - acutely 1 day lowering tryptophan lowered anxiety in anorexic people http://eatingdisorders.ucsd.edu/research/pub/imaging/doc/2003/kaye2003anxiolytic.pdf

but there's a lot of studies showing mood worsening affect with tryptophan depletion - "supersensitive" serotonin receptor rebound effect causing worse mood?

Effects on Mood of Acute Phenylalanine/Tyrosine Depletion in Healthy Women - Neuropsychopharmacology this one even shows worsening of mood from tryptophan depletion acutely which is surprising, was done with broad AAs which also lowered tyrosine a little but authors say it shouldn't have affected dopamine synthesis much, ,also shows worsened mood from phenylalanine depletion separately
another one Influence of acute tryptophan depletion on mood and immune measures in healthy males - PubMed
another one Relapse of depression after rapid depletion of tryptophan - PubMed

so how can this be done to ensure no major serotonin sensitivity rebound? or dopamine receptor sensitivity decrease

would be useful to find out how this sensitising mechanism works in the brain. how we can set it to a lower baseline sensitivity without having increased levels

(is it possible to sneak in some lowering slowly over time to prevent serotonin receptors freaking out & sensitizing as a response?)

Last edited:

FrostedShores

So I've been taking a cocktail of BCAAs + phenylalanine + lysine + theanine for a little over two weeks now. I take it with meals. My mood has improved significantly. No more depression and only minimal anxiety; I consistently feel calm most of the time. My energy levels are also up.

However, I am experiencing what I believe is anhedonia. Even though I feel fine, I'm just not motivated to do anything, and I don't really enjoy doing anything. Seems like low dopamine, based on what I've read here and elsewhere. So I started recently taking a dose of phenylalanine by itself, away from BCAAs. I've also started taking B6, as haidut suggested in another thread.

Should this be enough to address low dopamine/anhedonia? Or should I take a break from the BCAAs, and just focus on phenylalanine (and possibly tyrosine) for a while?

HumanLife

Been taking BCAA again and the appetite increase is insane. I can only assume that this is from decreasing overall serotonin, which is considered an appetite suppressant.

A.R

Been taking BCAA again and the appetite increase is insane. I can only assume that this is from decreasing overall serotonin, which is considered an appetite suppressant.
What brand are you taking?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
@haidut Where did you order your ajinomoto bcaas? I’ve scoured the internet and I cannot find them.
I asked them recently about this.
Their reply:
"Your inquiry has been connected to Ajinomoto Headquarter in Tokyo, Japan. Currenty, we do not distribute BCAA as retail products. We provide our BCAA as ingredients to third party and in most of the cases, labelled AJI PURE for products which our ingredient is used. Thank you for your understanding.
Ajinomoto Co., Inc."
So I bought the nutricost bcaa.

HumanLife

What brand are you taking?

It's this one. I bought it a few months ago but continued it again. I take half a scoop in the morning, and half a scoop in the night. I am taking it mixed with around 250ml of pasteurized goat's milk, collagen, raw honey, and coconut oil (all anti-cortisol). Might add creatine too. Funnily enough a goat's milk and glycine combo was mentioned in this same page. I think it is essential to take with sugar or sugary food because I get low blood sugar symptoms otherwise, which makes sense considering that the amino acids in BCAA take the sugar from the blood to the muscles.

I also am not having the usual sluggish feeling from eating a lot of food at once when I take it.

Serotonin being an appetite suppressant makes sense considering how it increases in hibernating animals like bears so they can decrease the amount of food they eat during winter and rely more on their fat stores for survival. This makes them temporarily more susceptible to gaining weight after the winter is over, but this ends once the body feels like their are enough resources in which it can comfortably increase the metabolic rate and then go back to a lower fat baseline.

A.R

It's this one. I bought it a few months ago but continued it again. I take half a scoop in the morning, and half a scoop in the night. I am taking it mixed with around 250ml of pasteurized goat's milk, collagen, raw honey, and coconut oil (all anti-cortisol). Might add creatine too. Funnily enough a goat's milk and glycine combo was mentioned in this same page. I think it is essential to take with sugar or sugary food because I get low blood sugar symptoms otherwise, which makes sense considering that the amino acids in BCAA take the sugar from the blood to the muscles.

I also am not having the usual sluggish feeling from eating a lot of food at once when I take it.

Serotonin being an appetite suppressant makes sense considering how it increases in hibernating animals like bears so they can decrease the amount of food they eat during winter and rely more on their fat stores for survival. This makes them temporarily more susceptible to gaining weight after the winter is over, but this ends once the body feels like their are enough resources in which it can comfortably increase the metabolic rate and then go back to a lower fat baseline.
Thank you . I hope your positive results continue

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
That's interesting. Cotinine is the test they give for my work physical to determine if a person is using nicotine. Once after I quit smoking I tested positive for cotinine while using the nicotine patch. So do we think the cholinergic properties of smoking are not negative like other cholinergic drugs?
Blossom,
Did you ever get an answer to this?
- So do we think the cholinergic properties of smoking are not negative like other cholinergic drugs?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom,
Did you ever get an answer to this?
- So do we think the cholinergic properties of smoking are not negative like other cholinergic drugs?
No sir, I actually haven’t revisited the subject. When covid came about followed by my husband starting training for a new career my life took a sudden turn. My intense job demands and family responsibilities resulted in me putting many of my prior interests on the back burner unfortunately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals