Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

The functions of tianeptine overlap with Periactin (notice the shapes of the molecules), cascara (emodin), vitamin K, and tetracycline, but the sulfur atom in tianeptine can make it allergenic for some people. I think combinations of safe things, including coffee, thyroid, pregnenolone, and aspirin, can work better than tianeptine.

I've been getting it from Farmacia del Nino, but Cynoplus is good too.
Many people don't need a supplement, especially during the summer, so it
would just be a wasteful nuisance to use it when it's not needed.

I think you're right to be cautious with experiments during the hot
season. I think the appropriate doses of methylene blue and
cyproheptadine are similar to those of T3, a few micrograms, rather than
milligrams.

Soprano recorders are inexpensive (and fit the hands better than the more expensive, mellower altos), and are convenient for sporadic playing. Playing tunes stimulates the brain in some of the same ways that speaking does, but without the pressure; for example, people who stutter when they speak usually don't when they sing. The good thing about recorders is that they are convenient, so you can play a little whenever you feel like it, while doing other things. When I was a kid I played violin for a while, but gradually realized that my neck was much too long, and my little finger too weak and slow, for that instrument. In high school I played trumpet, mostly because it was the cheapest instrument, but eventually I bought an old french horn for $25, and an oboe, and in Paracho, Michoacan, ten years ago I finally got a cello--that had always been my favorite instrument. Every time you make sounds on a musical instrument, you are stimulating organized processes in your body--it's a kind of nourishment.

[Methylene blue]

It works as a catalyst for energy production, and I think it can be very effective even in small doses analogous to the effects of thyroid hormone. I suspect that one milligram continues to have good effects for about a week.

Activated charcoal can absorb many toxins, including bacterial endotoxin, so it is likely to reduce serotonin absorption from the intestine. Since it can also bind or destroy vitamins, it should be used only intermittently. Frolkis, et al. (1989, 1984) found that it extended median and average lifespan of rats, beginning in old age (28 months) by 43% and 34%, respectively, when given in large quantities (equivalent to about a cup per day for humans) for ten days of each month.

Aging, stress, and heavy consumption of alcohol increase the permeability of the intestine, causing increased absorption of microbial toxins. Laxatives, carrot fiber (not carrotjuice), activated charcoal, and a small amount of sodium thiosulfate decrease the formation and absorption of toxins, increasing the organism’s adaptive capacity

If a newly discovered substance had aspirin’s antiinfective, anticancer, antistress, antioxidant and antiinflammatory actions it would be the most researched substance in history.

The carbon monoxide isn’t likely to be absorbed in dangerous amounts if the smoke isn’t inhaled. I think the safest way to use tobacco is either transdermally or orally; it has a laxative and anti-inflammatory effect.

[Nasal snuff]

When I was a kid it was very popular; I think the effect is the same as oral-swallowed, only quicker, with efficient nicotine absorption.

Question:

How does this non-verbal experience of the surrounding environment relate to the state you´re in when on LSD? I had a few experiences with LSD and theyve all been extremely different. Yesterday i took 150 mcg and had the most intense disconnection from the common received reality. I think the trip was that intense because i totally dropped into the feeling of the drug.The perception for time and space totally dissolved and i found myself in a non-functional state in which i totally lost touch to any layers of meaning; especially language. It would take too long to describe everything that happened, but i´m trying to put my experience into context and understand what happened. I read that you think that the hallucinations are due to depletion of brain glycogen and that it could be harmful. I don´t feel like i was hallucinating (depending on how you define it), but it felt like i was able to access more layers of reality. For example i could see, smell and feel much better. At the same time at a certain point of the trip i stopped being able to put all the sensory input into a broader context. It felt like it was a state before any judgment of meaning based on cultural influences is made. I perceived things as they were but they didn´t relate to each other. I´m wondering what your “behind closed doors” opinion and experience with LSD is. What exactly is happening in the brain when taking larger dosages of LSD? How does LSD work on a molecular level? How does the state of the organism influence its effect? Do you think these effects are other layers of reality or just the effect of brain glycogen depletion?

Peat:

I think the loss of context for the senses is evidence of an excessive amount, consuming energy faster than it’s created; I think the desirable thing is to increase the contextual meanings so that the perceived time span is maximized, a prophetic-interpretive process.

Question:

Once i had 3 times the amount i had a few days ago. This loss of context for the senses didn´t happen then. It might have something to do with the amount of food i´ve eaten, but i think the biggest difference was my ability to let go emotionally of any fear/expectation. It was like i flipped any internal switch so to speak.

You´ve mentioned in "A Biophysical Approach to Altered Consciousness” that a hallucinogenic compound can be predicted by its electron-donor-potential. If i understand correctly you think that senses work by some sort of resonance. If an excessive dose of LSD is supplying too much energy which leads to hallucinations what exactly are the sense resonating with? How does the emotional “switch” change the things we resonate with

Peat:

Szent-Gyorgyi and Freeman Cope suggested that biological molecules are semiconductors, possibly superconductors. Between a donor and acceptor molecule, an electron sometimes resonates, forming a weak bond that strongly absorbs electromagnetic energy, and they suggested that bands of such electrons exist in cells. Within and between these delocalized electrons, I suspect that there is a more subtle resonance, an electron spin resonance. Arrays of such bands of electrons would be extremely sensitive antennas. Michael Persinger, in the video No More Secretes, describes the potential interactions of such electronic systems with other fields in the environment. An implication of this would be that our consciousness doesn’t exist just in our head.

If the metabolic rate stays high relative to calorie intake, the pufa will be burned quickly, without having an opportunity to shape the physiology very much. Other things become relatively more important as the pufa intake approaches zero---methyl donors, phosphate excess, iron/copper ratio, etc.

I've only had a few occasions to try speaking German, in Romania and Croatia, for example.

Once in Mexico I accidentally ate something that I’m intensely allergic to, but I had a glass of white rum at the same meal, and there was no reaction at all. It’s an effective antioxidant, anti-inflammatory.

Any craving is a good starting point, because we have several biological mechanisms for correcting specific nutritional deficiencies. When something is interfering with your ability to use sugar, you crave it because if you don’t eat it you will waste protein to make it.

Observing those situational reactions is the starting point that usually leads to getting control of them. While alone,
and feeling relaxed and free of the tensions, shift your attention to an image of one of the authorities, for example a parent, and notice the change that occurs in your body, especially the abdomen, then shift your attention again to a neutral situation, until the body sensation subsides. With a few trials, it becomes more controllable. Gurdjieff called it “remembering yourself.” With practice, you can do it while in the presence of the authorities. Since it keeps you at ease, it changes your way of relating to them, and they notice immediately; they can react badly. Another view of the situation is that your “model of the world,” or “Acceptor of Action,” has become more generalized, and your personal energy can flow more productively into meaningful projects, rather than being dissipated in the tensions that sustain the interpersonal power relationship.

Yes, the spirochetes can be killed with a couple of weeks of antibiotics. But there are some doctors who specialize in permanent treatments. A few doctors have used the internet to create a chronic Lyme cult. Doxycycline, penicillin G and amoxycycline all usually work well.

And the studies:
Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2013 Aug;15(4):454-64.
Nervous system lyme disease: diagnosis and treatment.
Halperin JJ.
Department of Neurosciences, Overlook Medical Center, 99 Beauvoir Avenue, Summit,
NJ, 07902, USA, [email protected].
OPINION STATEMENT: The tick-borne spirochete responsible for Lyme disease is
highly antibiotic-sensitive. Treatment related misconceptions can be attributed
to confusion in three principal realms: (1) the appropriate approach to diagnosis
(who should be treated); (2) necessary and appropriate treatment; and (3) what
actually constitutes nervous system infection and to what extent this mandates
different treatment. Contrary to often-repeated assertions, laboratory-based
diagnosis-in the appropriate setting-is as valid as it is in most other
serologically diagnosed infections. Treatment is highly effective in the vast
majority of patients, including those with nervous system disease. Nervous system
infection, most typically meningitis, cranial neuritis, radiculoneuritis, and
other forms of mononeuropathy multiplex, is highly antibiotic responsive. The
encephalopathy that can be seen in some patients with active infection represents
the same phenomenon that occurs in patients with many other inflammatory
disorders, is not evidence of central nervous system (CNS) infection, and does
not require any different, more prolonged, or more intensive treatment. In
patients with infection not involving the CNS, oral treatment with amoxicillin,
cefuroxime axetil, or doxycycline for 2-4 weeks is almost always curative.
Despite historic preferences for parenteral treatment with ceftriaxone,
cefotaxime, or meningeal dose penicillin, patients with the forms of nervous
system involvement listed above are highly responsive to oral doxycycline.
Parenteral regimens can be reserved for those very rare patients with parenchymal
CNS involvement, other severe forms of infection, or the approximately 5 % of
patients who fail to respond to oral regimens.

Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011 Mar;7(3):179-84.
A case revealing the natural history of untreated Lyme disease.
Schoen RT.
Section of Rheumatology, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 Temple Street,
New Haven, CT 06510, USA. [email protected]
BACKGROUND: A 71-year-old woman presented to a rheumatologist with what she
believed to be a 2-year history of Lyme disease, progressing from erythema
migrans to Lyme arthritis.
INVESTIGATIONS: History, physical examination and serologic testing confirmed the
diagnosis of Lyme disease.
DIAGNOSIS: Lyme disease.
MANAGEMENT: The patient refused antibiotic therapy during the first 2 years of
her illness. During the next 2 years, she consulted a rheumatologist, but
declined antibiotic therapy. She continued to have recurrent episodes of
arthritis, following which she was successfully treated with doxycycline, given
initially for 2 weeks, with a second, 4-week cycle administered 2 months later.
This case illustrates the natural history of untreated Lyme disease, which is
rarely observed in most patients since diagnosis almost always leads to
successful antibiotic treatment. Furthermore, this case also demonstrates that
infection with Borrelia burgdorferi can persist for years in untreated patients;
however, antibiotic therapy is still likely to be effective, despite long-term
infection.

Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Feb 15;50(4):512-20.
Antibiotic treatment duration and long-term outcomes of patients with early lyme
disease from a lyme disease-hyperendemic area.
Kowalski TJ, Tata S, Berth W, Mathiason MA, Agger WA.
Section of Infectious Disease and Departments of Medical Education, Gundersen
Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, WI 54601. USA. [email protected]
Comment in
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Jun 15;50(12):1683-4; author reply 1684.
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Feb 15;50(4):521-2.
BACKGROUND: The length of antibiotic therapy and long-term outcomes in patients
with early Lyme disease are incompletely described. We report the long-term
clinical outcomes of patients with early localized and early disseminated Lyme
disease based on the duration of antibiotic therapy prescribed.
METHODS: A retrospective cohort study and follow-up survey of patients diagnosed
as having early localized and early disseminated Lyme disease from 1 January 2000
through 31 December 2004 was conducted in a Lyme disease-hyperendemic area.
RESULTS: Six hundred seven patients met the study inclusion criteria. Most
patients (93%) were treated with doxycycline for treatment durations of 10 days,
11-15 days, or 16 days in 17%, 33%, and 47% of doxycycline-treated patients,
respectively. Treatment failure criteria, defined before performing the study,
were met in only 6 patients (1%). Although these 6 patients met a priori
treatment failure criteria, 4 of these patients' clinical details suggested
reinfection, 1 was treated with an inappropriate antibiotic, and 1 developed
facial palsy early in therapy. Reinfection developed in 4% of patients. The
2-year treatment failure-free survival rates of patients treated with antibiotics
for 10 days, 11-15 days, or 16 days were 99.0%, 98.9%, and 99.2%, respectively.
Patients treated with antibiotics for 16 days had lower 36-item Short-Form Health
Survey social functioning scores on the follow-up survey. No other differences
were found in follow-up clinical status or 36-item Short-Form Health Survey
scores by duration of antibiotic treatment.
CONCLUSIONS: Patients treated for 10 days with antibiotic therapy for early Lyme
disease have long-term outcomes similar to those of patients treated with longer
courses. Treatment failure after appropriately targeted short-course therapy, if
it occurs, is exceedingly rare.

Lakartidningen. 2006 May 3-9;103(18):1454; author reply 1455.
[Penicillin V is the first choice in the treatment of erythema migrans].
[Article in Swedish]
Bennet L, Stiernstedt S, Berglund J, Hagberg L, Karlsson M, Olsson I, Ornstein K.
Comment on
Lakartidningen. 2006 Mar 1-7;103(9):668.

Rev Neurol (Paris). 1985;141(12):780-5.
[Meningoradiculitis caused by a spirochete (Borrelia burgdorferi) after arthropod
bite].
[Article in French]
Dupuis M, Mertens C, Gonsette RE, Nuytten W, Bouffioux J, Dobbelaere F.
Eight cases of meningoradiculitis (Garin-Bujadoux-Bannwarth's syndrome) are
presented; the first case followed an "unidentified insect" bite and erythema
chronicum migrans, whereas the second and third cases were not preceded by any
documented insect bite or erythema; they occurred during summer in 1984 and 1985
and were characterized by cranial or radicular neuritis, lymphocytic meningitis,
positive serology by immunofluorescence against Borrelia Burgdorferi and a good
response to Penicillin (20 000 000 U during 14 days I.V.). Five other cases were
observed in the same area as the first and second cases (Walloon Brabant) during
the preceding summers; in two, serological proof of Borrelia Burgdorferi
infection was obtained retrospectively. Lyme disease and Garin-Bujadoux-Bannwarth
syndrome are both tick-born spirochetosis, due to two slightly different subtypes
of Borrelia Burgdorferi. Their early neurological manifestations differ mainly by
focalised pain on the bitten region in Garin-Bujadoux-Bannwarth's syndromes. This
could be due to direct aggression of the peripheral nerve in
Garin-Bujadoux-Bannwarth syndrome.

Arch Neurol. 1989 Nov;46(11):1190-4.
Cefotaxime vs penicillin G for acute neurologic manifestations in Lyme
borreliosis. A prospective randomized study.
Pfister HW, Preac-Mursic V, Wilske B, Einhäupl KM.
Neurologische Klinik der Universität, Klinikum Grosshadern, München, West
Germany.
We randomly assigned 21 patients with painful Lyme neuroborreliosis radiculitis
(Bannwarth's syndrome) and neuroborreliosis meningitis to a 10-day treatment with
either penicillin G. 4 x 5 million U/d (n = 10) or cefotaxime sodium, 3 x 2 g/d
(n = 11), intravenously. We were not able to demonstrate clinical differences
between groups, either during the 10-day treatment period or at follow-up
examination a mean of 7.7 months after antibiotic therapy. Cerebrospinal fluid
cefotaxime concentrations reached the minimum inhibitory concentration at the 90%
level for Borrelia burgdorferi in all patients, while none of the patients
treated with penicillin G had cerebrospinal fluid concentrations above the
minimum inhibitory concentration at the 90% value. We conclude that patients with
acute neurologic manifestations of Lyme borreliosis may benefit from a 10-day
treatment with cefotaxime or penicillin G. Cerebrospinal fluid antibiotic
concentrations above the minimum inhibitory concentration at the 90% value, as
observed in all patients treated with cefotaxime, offer the most hope for
long-term prognosis.

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996 May;40(5):1104-7.
Concentrations of doxycycline and penicillin G in sera and cerebrospinal fluid of
patients treated for neuroborreliosis.
Karlsson M, Hammers S, Nilsson-Ehle I, Malmborg AS, Wretlind B.
Department of Infectious Diseases, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
Concentrations of doxycycline and penicillin G in serum and cerebrospinal fluid
(CSF) were analyzed in 46 patients during treatment for neuroborreliosis. Twenty
patients were treated intravenously with penicillin G at 3 g every 6 h (q6h), and
26 patients were treated orally with doxycycline at 200 mg q24h. All samples were
collected on day 13 of treatment. The median concentrations of penicillin G in
serum were 0.5, 37, and 5.6 micrograms/ml before and 1 and 3 h after drug
administration, and that in CSF was 0.5 (range, 0.3 to 1.6) microgram/ml after 2
to 3 h. The median concentrations of doxycycline in serum were 2.1, 6.1, and 4.7
micrograms/ml before and 2 and 6 h after drug administration, and that in CSF was
0.6 (range, 0.4 to 2.5) microgram/ml after 4 h. All patients had concentrations
of penicillin G or doxycycline in CSF above the lowest reported MICs of
penicillin G (0.003 microgram/ml) and doxycycline (0.12 microgram/ml) for
Borrelia burgdorferi. However, no patients had a drug concentration in CSF above
the highest reported MIC of penicillin G (8 micrograms/ml), and only one had a
drug concentration in CSF above the highest reported MIC of doxycycline (2
micrograms/ml), despite good clinical response to treatment. No treatment failure
or relapse was observed during a 1-year follow-up, although one patient treated
with penicillin G and one treated with doxycycline were retreated because of
residual pain. The chosen dosages of penicillin G and doxycycline seem to give
sufficient concentrations in serum and CSF for the treatment of neuroborreliosis.

Neurology. 1994 Jul;44(7):1203-7.
Comparison of intravenous penicillin G and oral doxycycline for treatment of Lyme
neuroborreliosis.
Karlsson M, Hammers-Berggren S, Lindquist L, Stiernstedt G, Svenungsson B.
Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
To compare the efficacy of oral doxycycline and IV penicillin G for the treatment
of neuroborreliosis, we randomized consecutive patients with Lyme
neuroborreliosis to receive either IV penicillin G (3 g q 6 h) or oral
deoxycycline (200 mg q 24 h) for 14 days. All patients had antibodies against
Borrelia burgdorferi in serum, CSF, or both, or had a positive CSF culture.
Twenty-three patients randomized to penicillin G and 31 patients to doxycycline
were included in the study. All patients improved during treatment, and there
were no significant differences between the two treatment groups in patient
scoring, CSF analysis, or serologic and clinical follow-up during 1 year. There
were no treatment failures, although one patient in each treatment group was
re-treated because of residual symptoms. In conclusion, oral doxycycline is an
adequate and cost-effective alternative to IV penicillin for the treatment of
Lyme neuroborreliosis.

Ann Rheum Dis. 1992 Aug;51(8):1007-8.
Long term treatment of chronic Lyme arthritis with benzathine penicillin.
Cimmino MA, Accardo S.
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Università di Genova, Genoa, Italy.
The cases are reported of two patients with chronic Lyme arthritis resistant to
the recommended antibiotic regimens who were cured by long term treatment with
benzathine penicillin. It is suggested that the sustained therapeutic levels of
penicillin were effective either by the inhibition of germ replication or by
lysis of the spirochaetes when they were leaving their sanctuaries.

Nervenarzt. 2009 Oct;80(10):1239-51.
[Neuroborreliosis].
[Article in German]
Kaiser R, Fingerle V.
Neurologische Klinik, Klinikum Pforzheim, Kanzlerstrasse 2-6, 75175, Pforzheim,
Deutschland. [email protected]
Neuroborreliosis is easily diagnosed by means of clinical symptoms and laboratory
findings. Guiding symptoms are radicular pain and pareses of the extremities and
the facial nerve. There is a great number of further less frequently occurring
neurological symptoms, which can be attributed to a borrelial infection only by
appropriate investigations of the CSF. Radiculitis is cured adequately by oral
doxycycline while symptoms of the central nervous system are probably better
treated intravenously by ceftriaxone, cefotaxime or penicillin G. Post-Lyme
syndrome is a diffuse description of non-specific complaints, which are not the
explicit result of a former infection with B. burgdorferi. As further antibiotics
do not help and the CSF is unremarkable in most patients, a persistent infection
with B. burgdorferi s.l. in all probability can be excluded.

Scand J Infect Dis. 2008;40(11-12):985-7.
Neuroborreliosis recurrence: reinfection or relapse?
Krabbe NV, Ejlertsen T, Nielsen H.
Department of Infectious Diseases, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital,
Aalborg, Denmark.
We report the case of a 47-y-old female with documented neuroborreliosis, who had
a complete recovery after 10 d of intravenous high-dose penicillin followed after
9 months by a new episode of documented neuroborreliosis. The case probably
represents a rare case of true reinfection rather than relapse.

Minerva Med. 2009 Apr;100(2):171-2.
Analysis of a flawed double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of patients
claimed to have persistent Lyme disease following treatment.
Wormser GP, Shapiro ED, Halperin JJ, Porwancher RB, O'Connell S, Nadelman RB,
Strle F, Radolf JD, Hovius JW, Baker PJ, Fingerle V, Dattwyler R.
Comment in
Minerva Med. 2009 Oct;100(5):435-6.
Comment on
Minerva Med. 2008 Oct;99(5):489-96.

Clinical Infectious Diseases Volume 31, Issue 3Pp. 848-849.
Possibility of the Use of Oral Long-Acting Tetracyclines in the Treatment of Lyme Neuroborreliosis
Andrea De Maria and Alberto Primavera

J Infect Chemother 2000 Mar;6(1):65-7
In-vitro and in-vivo antibiotic susceptibilities of Lyme disease Borrelia
isolated in China.
Li M, Masuzawa T, Wang J, Kawabata M, Yanagihara Y.
International Center for Medical Research, Kobe University School of Medicine,
7-5-1 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650, Japan. [email protected]
The antibiotic susceptibilities of seven Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato
isolates from Ixodes persulcatus in China were examined by in-vitro
microdilution minimum inhibition concentration (MIC) and macrodilution minimum
bactericidal concentration (MBC) methods. All isolates tested were susceptible
to amoxicillin, erythromycin, and minocycline. The MICs of these drugs for the
Chinese isolates were 0.025-0.1 microg/ml, <0.012-0.05 microg/ml, and
<0.012-0.05 microg/ml, respectively. The MBCs were 0.1-0.39 microg/ml,
<0.012-0.2 microg/ml, and 0.025-0.39 microg/ml, respectively. The in-vivo
antimicrobial susceptibilities of the Chinese Borrelia isolates to two test
drugs, amoxicillin and minocycline, were evaluated using ddY mice. Mice were
infected by subcutaneous inoculation into the right hind footpad. When infection
was confirmed, the mice were treated by subcutaneous injection of the test drugs
into the back. Amoxicillin and minocycline, which possessed high in-vitro
activities against Lyme disease Borrelia, provided good protection against
borreliosis in this animal model. Higher doses of these drugs resulted in
elimination of the Lyme disease spirochete from all animals receiving this
course of treatment. The 50% curative doses (CD50) of amoxicillin and
minocycline were 8.7 mg/kg and 3.1 mg/kg, respectively. This suggested that
amoxicillin and minocycline could be useful for the treatment of Chinese
Borrelia infection.

Pediatrics 2002 Jun;109(6):1173-7
Comparative study of cefuroxime axetil versus amoxicillin in children with early
Lyme disease.
Eppes SC, Childs JA.
Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children, Division of Infectious Diseases,
Wilmington, DE 19899, USA. [email protected]
Cefuroxime axetil has been shown to have efficacy comparable to doxycycline in
adults with early Lyme disease (LD). Because of toxicity, doxycycline is usually
avoided in children. For children who are unable to tolerate amoxicillin, there
is currently no proven alternative oral therapy for LD. This randomized,
unblinded study compared 2 dosage regimens of cefuroxime axetil (20 mg/kg/d and
30 mg/kg/d) with amoxicillin (50 mg/kg/d), each given for 20 days. Children were
enrolled if they were 6 months to 12 years of age, had erythema migrans, and met
other eligibility requirements. Serologic testing occurred at entry and after 6
months. Follow-up evaluations for safety, tolerability, and efficacy occurred at
10 and 20 days, 6 months, and 1 year. Forty-three children were randomized (13
in the amoxicillin group, 15 in each cefuroxime axetil group); 39 completed 12
months of follow-up. At the completion of treatment, there was total resolution
of erythema migrans in 67% of the amoxicillin group, 92% of the low-dose
cefuroxime group, and 87% of the high-dose cefuroxime group, and resolution of
constitutional symptoms occurred in 100%, 69%, and 87%, respectively. All
patients had a good outcome, with no long-term problems associated with LD. One
patient, who was well at the first 2 follow-up visits, was treated with
doxycycline because of new constitutional symptoms. Mild diarrhea occurred in a
small number of participants in each group (1 patient was diagnosed and treated
for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, which occurred after completing
the full course of study medication). No hypersensitivity reactions occurred.
The number of patients in this trial was not sufficient to demonstrate a
statistically significant difference between the 3 groups; however, both
amoxicillin and cefuroxime axetil seem to be safe, efficacious treatments for
children with early LD.
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

Br J Dermatol 2002 May;146(5):872-6
Long-term prognosis of patients treated for erythema migrans in France.
Lipsker D, Antoni-Bach N, Hansmann Y, Jaulhac B.
Services de Dermatologie, de Maladies Infectieuses and Laboratoire de
Bacteriologie des Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 1 place de l'hopital,
67091 Strasbourg cedex, France. [email protected]
BACKGROUND: The long-term prognosis of patients treated for erythema migrans has
only rarely been assessed. OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the clinical characteristics
and long-term prognosis of patients treated for erythema migrans in the region
of Alsace, France. METHODS: In a prospective study, 56 consecutive patients
presenting with erythema migrans at the Strasbourg University Hospital between
1995 and 1999 were examined and a Borrelia burgdorferi enzyme immunoassay was
performed. Patients were treated with tetracyclines or amoxycillin. Patients
were re-examined 6 weeks later and a telephone interview was performed in summer
2000 to evaluate the long-term outcome. RESULTS: There were 25 women and 31 men
of mean age 49 years presenting with single (n = 54) or multiple (n = 2)
erythema migrans lesions. At the time of diagnosis, 30% of the patients had
systemic signs, myalgias or arthralgias and only 36% of 50 patients were
seroreactive against B. burgdorferi. None of the 51 patients evaluated at 6
weeks and none of the 37 patients interviewed after a median delay of 3 years
had developed complications attributable to Lyme borreliosis. CONCLUSIONS: The
prognosis of patients treated for Lyme borreliosis in this part of France is
excellent. Therefore, a complete clinical examination is sufficient as an
initial evaluation and long-term follow-up is not necessary.

Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 2001 Dec;94(12):1419-22
[Lyme disease presenting as infarction pain. A case report]
[Article in French]
Meimoun P, Sayah S, Benali T, Bore AL, Bailly J, Beausoleil J, Jeleff C, Maitre
B.
Service de cardiologie et de soins intensifs, centre hospitalier de Compiegne,
8, avenue Henry Adnot, 60321 Compiegne.
Lyme disease is a multi-system condition due to infection with a spirochete
(Borrelia Burgdorferi), transmitted by a tick. Cardiac involvement, which is not
systematic, usually presents with transient atrioventricular block of varying
degree. The authors describe an unusual presentation of the cardiac involvement
of Lyme's disease with chest pain resembling an acute coronary syndrome in a 32
year old man. The characteristic skin lesion (erythema migrans), the positivity
of IgM serology, the myocardial scintigraphic results and the negativity of the
work-up of other causes of this pain led to a diagnosis of myocarditis, the
outcome of which was favourable with treatment by amoxycillin (3 g/day, orally).

In 1933 Reich published The Mass Psychology of Fascism, and the next year Freud expelled him from psychoanalysis; that was the year that Andre Breton excommunicated Dali from surrealism. Both Reich and Dali had important (but dangerous) insights into the effects of the authoritarian culture on consciousness—the destruction of reality by the imposition of an “essentialist” attitude. Dali’s Persistence of Memory, 1931, described the fluidity of reality and consciousness. Later, Dali aligned himself with the fascist side, and his 1954 Decomposition of the Persistence of Memory shows the quantized consciousness. Starting in 1945, the fascist culture blossomed in the US, so people who speak English now have constant contact with the dead essences, and very little incentive to evaluate them. Business/government marketing techniques adjust the meaning-units periodically, so that they are always available to provide the needed frame for the discourse of the moment. A lot of work goes into it.

[Methylene blue]

I think the most important therapeutic effects are in the range of a tenth of a milligram to one milligram per day, and the doses that inhibit MAO are in the range of hundreds of milligrams. I don't recommend it for anything that can be corrected by diet, thyroid, aspirin, antihistamine, progesterone, etc.

[A and D ratio]

I don’t think the ratio matters, the need for them can vary in opposite directions, for example, with lots of sunlight there’s no need to supplement D, but the need for A increases. Vitamin E protects against an excess of A.

Question:

I sometimes feel like my mind/personality are not located within or attached to my body or even related in any way...is this real? its usually when I'm struggling physically, like if I've eaten something fibrous that upsets my digestion. Any thoughts you have on this would be amazing to hear...its actually quite scary when it happens.

Peat:

The intestine is powerfully related to consciousness, affecting not only our moods but even the way we feel ourselves in relation to our surrounding space. For example, motion sickness demonstrates the way our sense of movement in space is attached to our stomach and intestine—if we are on a ship, looking at things inside the ship that aren’t moving in relation to our body, the real motion sensed by our body conflicts with what our eyes are seeing, and we interpret the inner movement as nausea, but if we just glance at the horizon, the inner sensation of motion suddenly is interpreted accurately as our body moving through space, and the nausea disappears. When there are actual forces being applied to our intestine from the inside, created by bacterial growth, gas, and toxins, our consciousness tries to make sense of it, and the result can be dizziness, a sense of disorientation or falling, so that our sense of location can seem ambiguous or confused.

An uncle of mine who was a post-master told my father, around 1950,
that they were able to read first-class letters without opening them.
I knew that suspicion of the government wasn't paranoia. Around
1961-62 I knew some people who worked at Ryan Aeronautical in San
Diego, where the first remotely piloted drones were being made, who
told me that the government was using devices that could monitor vital
signs of a person being interviewed, as a lie detector, without the
person being aware of it. They described experiments in which people
could be made sick by electronically imposing a lower frequency of
brain waves. As I recall it, I came into contact with these three
people (one, Clear Waters, said he was a minister, his name was
memorable) in connection with my efforts to start the school. I didn't
know why they would be telling me CIA secrets, and I was aware that
anyone I met might be reporting my behavior, but at the time I was
doing some simple bioelectric experiments with my mother's house
plants, and was glad to have the information. My suspicion that they
were using their bits of information to gain my confidence was
confirmed in 1968, when the November issue of a magazine, I think it
was Harper's, published a chapter from the not yet published book, The
Secret Life of Plants, by Christopher Bird and Peter Tomkins, who were
both associated with the CIA. In that chapter, they described
experiments supposedly done by Paul Blondel at Blake College in San
Diego. I wrote a letter to the editor, saying that there was no Paul
Blondel at Blake College, and that the experiments described were done
by me in Santee (a town east of San Diego). The magazine didn't
publish my letter, but when I got a copy of the book, that part of the
story had been deleted. The experiments I did in the period 1961-63
were just variations of work that had been described to me in the late
1950s by an old guy who said he had been doing that research in
Germany before the war, but the university with his records had been
destroyed. I think it was in the mid-1960s that Cleve Backster,
ex-CIA, moved his polygraph school to San Diego, and began publicizing
his work with plant bioelectricity. My interpretation of the whole
episode is that there is probably a gossip-culture around the
government's military research, and that some of the gossip-aura might
be deliberately planted, to give the impression that the whole thing
could be pure fiction. I think the talk about special kinds of
radiation is likely to be in that category, red herrings to emphasize
the idea that suspicious people aren't in touch with reality.

Last edited:

Mauritio

A while ago, I wrote to ray regarding the use of one nicotine toothpick (3mg nicotine per toothpick) here and there. He said :

"I think that small amount is probably safe."

[GMO]

Some of the modifications have been shown to be seriously harmful, in a variety of ways. Science journals are heavily controlled by big corporations, research funding and careers can be ended when the research doesn’t please the corporations, the government regulatory agencies are effectively owned by the corporations that they regulate, and the mass media propagate the information that serves the corporations. A few individuals and groups are helping to publicize the dangers.

===

The body tends to compensate for low thyroid by increasing adrenaline; increasing the thyroid supplement gradually over a period of weeks, it's possible to lower the adrenaline. It's necessary to use extra sugar and salt, and foods with calcium and magnesium, during that time.

===

I’ll be interested to hear more about the forum.

I think the single idea I would emphasize most would be that just being balanced requires a fairly high level of metabolic energy, and that good thyroid function and good nutrition are essential for that.

Another important idea for anyone in a medicalized society to consider is that the system’s inability to cure cancer and heart disease and mental problems results from fundamental misconceptions about the nature of the organism. Your forum will help to correct some of those misconceptions.

==

And the coffee, like the glucose, stimulates your metabolic rate and both of those, by increasing your metabolic rate, are going to increase your general nutritional requirements: minerals and all of the vitamins have to be adequate and if you don’t substitute the sugar for things like fruit, milk, cheese, shellfish, eggs and so on, then you will very likely become deficient in biotin and Vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid, selenium and copper are things that are among the first to become deficient if you try to run on too much coffee and sugar and not enough food.

==

The low altitude of Yucatan makes the climate oppressive; the Patzcuaro area is perfect. House construction is the main safety factor; old adobe was reinforced with horse hair and was flexible, safer than concrete. I think electrical fields of the earth/solar system are important for earthquakes. The earthquakes I’ve seen during the night were accompanied by lightning.

==

It depends on the climate. Thick cement walls, with insulination on the outside, keep the temperature relatively steady, so that the day’s heat keeps the nights warm, and cool nights keep the days from overheating. My favorite houses have been adobe, with thick mud walls and high ceilings. For example, an old house in Mexico with neither heating nor cooling stayed around 69 degrees F most of the time.

I asked him a question before:

Do you think looking for marriage (instead of doing casual sex and uncommitted relationships) and wanting to have children are both signs of high metabolism?

Ray: i think good health goes with a desire for a permanent relationship.

Mauritio

I asked Ray something similar last year when I first started on T3 and my throat was feeling a little tight and also had some adrenaline issues. I'll paraphrase what he said:

"...catecholamines inhibit TSH and when that stress is relieved then TSH would activate or at least enlarge the gland... PUFA and estrogen are other possible inhibitors of of secretion, permitting enlargement... Too much or too little iodine could account for enlargement rather than activation."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals