RP Email Advice Comment: Lidocaine For Bowel Complaints

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Can you tell me how much you take and how long do wait to eat? I would think the numbing effect would make it hard to swallow.
Did your doctor tell you it was ok to swallow it?
I did try a teaspoon, and I did notice some intestinal changes. i had a severe atrophy of lower abdominal and pelvic muscle which i've recently addressed with the miracle of the Ab Roller. I think the muscle atrophy has been my main problem but the lidocaine may've helped and i've got another tube to try again soon. I'm also trying it on some strange scar/plaques i've had that never seem to dissapear.
I tried a teaspoon last winter. I can't say I noticed anything in particular though except my mouth and throat were a bit numb for a couple hours. I didn't eat, drink or sleep for three hours just to be on the safe side. I didn't want to risk choking on anything including my own secretions.

Zpol

I tried a teaspoon last winter. I can't say I noticed anything in particular though except my mouth and throat were a bit numb for a couple hours. I didn't eat, drink or sleep for three hours just to be on the safe side. I didn't want to risk choking on anything including my own secretions.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The possibility of choking is the main thing preventing me from doing it. Think I'll skip for now.

managing

Thanks for sharing your experience. The possibility of choking is the main thing preventing me from doing it. Think I'll skip for now.
I really don't think that would be possible so long as you didn't try to swallow anything until sensation returns. You could test by drinking water. But you could always also put it in a capsule and swallow it.

Zpol

I really don't think that would be possible so long as you didn't try to swallow anything until sensation returns. You could test by drinking water. But you could always also put it in a capsule and swallow it.
This does seem more doable. Have you tried this? And what was your result? I think I understand how it works in theory. Now I'm looking to figure out if it would be helpful for me in particular, and also for some anecdotal stories so I have a clue what to expect.

I thought I'd add that my particular case includes inflammation of the entire digestive tract, occasional flare ups of acute gastritis (biopsies negative for H-pylori or anything more serious than inflammation), I keep getting hiatal hernias, and I have Schatzki's ring at the base of my esophagus.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Zpol I agree with @managing. I think doing good mouth care prior to taking it would be a nice added precaution. On the off chance that even a small amount of saliva went down wrong way you'd be safer starting with a really clean mouth. I felt like I retained my ability to clear my throat fine I just had to concentrate on it a little more than normal but I wasn't completely numb. I waited until sensation fully returned and everything was fine. I really like the capsule idea too.

Pointless

I'm also not comf. to numb the throat, so did anybody use empty 00 cap?

A 00 cap full of lidocaine is a TON. That is, if you're using 99% pure powder. Also, the -caine will be on the outside of the cap and still numb your throat slightly.

Zpol

I think doing good mouth care prior to taking it would be a nice added precaution.
That's a good point. I'm going to search around a bit to see if I can find some more compelling stories before I try it. I've searched online (in relation to digestive issues and mostly found only indications of use as an emergency procedure to stop severe dyspepsia. @goodandevil's and Dr. Peat's experiences are quite compelling however a little vague as to what the difference actually was.

...Also, I have the tendency to be attracted to these types of 'cures'. I'm trying to be as objective as possible.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's a good point. I'm going to search around a bit to see if I can find some more compelling stories before I try it. I've searched online (in relation to digestive issues and mostly found only indications of use as an emergency procedure to stop severe dyspepsia. @goodandevil's and Dr. Peat's experiences are quite compelling however a little vague as to what the difference actually was.

...Also, I have the tendency to be attracted to these types of 'cures'. I'm trying to be as objective as possible.
I understand. I'm the same. Always experimenting.:):

nad

A 00 cap full of lidocaine is a TON. That is, if you're using 99% pure powder. Also, the -caine will be on the outside of the cap and still numb your throat slightly.
Thank you for warning Pointless, I don't want to hurt myself.
But I actually have liquid novocaine in glass tube for injection, is it still to much to fill 00 cap w/it?
And I could be careful using dropper. ?

Pointless

Thank you for warning Pointless, I don't want to hurt myself.
But I actually have liquid novocaine in glass tube for injection, is it still to much to fill 00 cap w/it?
And I could be careful using dropper. ?

What is the concentration of the novacaine? In hindsight it was silly for me to assume that you were using powder just because that's what I used

managing

This does seem more doable. Have you tried this? And what was your result? I think I understand how it works in theory. Now I'm looking to figure out if it would be helpful for me in particular, and also for some anecdotal stories so I have a clue what to expect.

I thought I'd add that my particular case includes inflammation of the entire digestive tract, occasional flare ups of acute gastritis (biopsies negative for H-pylori or anything more serious than inflammation), I keep getting hiatal hernias, and I have Schatzki's ring at the base of my esophagus.
I haven't. I have some lidocaine cream set aside to try but I haven't had the opportunity yet. WHen I do, I'll use a capsule.

nad

What is the concentration of the novacaine? In hindsight it was silly for me to assume that you were using powder just because that's what I used
It's 2% liquid in ampule. If it's ready to use for injection do you think it's safe to swallow some?

nwo2012

It's 2% liquid in ampule. If it's ready to use for injection do you think it's safe to swallow some?

A few drops of 2% are very safe to swallow. Done it times in past when I used to get sore throats so it would numb all the way to back of tonsils. Just wait hour before drinking anything to be sure.
Going to try 00 cap filled with 1% lignocaine now. (dont have 2%).
Just swallowed it, lets see what happens.

nad

A few drops of 2% are very safe to swallow. Done it times in past when I used to get sore throats so it would numb all the way to back of tonsils. Just wait hour before drinking anything to be sure.
Going to try 00 cap filled with 1% lignocaine now. (dont have 2%).
Just swallowed it, lets see what happens.
Thanks for respond, how are you now, more then 1 hour since, how much did you take?

nwo2012

After 15 mins had a bowel motion. Soft not too lose.
Now feel good.
Mustve been 1-2mls didnt measure exactly.
No tinitus so thats good (sign of local anasthetic toxicity)

Pointless

As long as it doesn't have benzyl alcohol. This is used to sterilize material for injection, but Ray Peat has said it's a potent neurotoxin.

Back
Top Bottom