RP Email Advice Comment: Safe Fiber

Discussion in 'Email Advice' started by raypeatclips, Sep 14, 2016.

1. OP
    raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

I've seen him say (from memory) cooking oats longer than you are supposed to might make it more nutritious.

2. OP
    raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

@schultz Thank you so much for those quotes. My takeaway points from that are:

1. Peat thinks fiber is important and beneficial for the bowel, cleans the intestine.
    2. He is very against synthetic and added fiber's such as gums and mentions grain fiber's (flax etc) I assume he doesn't mind more natural fibres such as vegetables if tolerated, he didn't mention them so assume they are ok.
    3. Eating fat can turn negative fiber's into positive ones, so having some added far every meal would be beneficial.
    4. High calcium ratio important for helping with endotoxin, starch and fiber's.

From this I am going to experiment with more vegetable and fruit based fiber's and have some butter/ coconut oil every meal.

3. schultz

schultz Member

I definitely think it's good to experiment with what works for you. Ray has said regarding some foods is that they can effect people in different ways. I am not sure he directly said this - but I think he insinuated it - that salads could have health benefits for people by acting essentially like a laxative. Though he probably thinks the carrot is an easier way to accomplish that. I also just remembered in a recent kmud he was saying something about potatoes and how they can be problematic for people with compromised digestion. I guess people who have sluggish bowels from being hypothyroid or something. Yet in the quotes I mentioned earlier in the thread he talks positively about potatoes in regards to gut health. So it depends on the person and the state of health they are currently in.

I think your 4 points are pretty solid. You could probably add a few more nutrients to that 4th point. Also, I think orange juice lowers endotoxin: Orange juice neutralizes the proinflammatory effect of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal and prevents endotoxin increase and Toll-like receptor ex... - PubMed - NCBI

4. paymanz

paymanz Member

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

"In general, cellulose fibers do protect against bowel cancer, but a few plant fibers that contain lignin or that are fermentable increase cancer. Wheat bran is the only common cereal fiber that’s protective."

-ray peat

5. Lord Cola

Lord Cola Member

Does anybody have the source of the quote below?

6. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

If it works, it works. And if oat bran helps you to keep a fast transit time then I'm sure the pros outweigh the cons , as it helps to lower estrogen and endotoxin :)