Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

David

Here is a response I got when I asked Ray Peat about replacing root canals and if x-rays should be avoided when getting root canals replaced :

"There's normally no need to replace root canals, and x-rays aren't necessary even when having a root canal done if the dentist is very competent. The Japanese are probably more aware than Americans of the damage done by diagnositic x-rays. Systemic toxic effects have been demonstrated from a single set of dental x-rays.

Nippon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi. 2009 Feb 20;65(2):254-62.
[Factors impacting public acceptance of medical radiation exposure]
[Article in Japanese]
Tsuji S, Kanda R.
Regulatory Sciences Research Group, Research Center for Radiation Protection,
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Japan.
We undertook a survey to determine the public acceptance of medical radiation
exposure throughout Japan, and 1,357 responses (67.9% response rate) were
obtained using a two-stage systematic stratified random sampling method. The
acceptance of exposure of children was generally similar to that of adults. For
each of the attributes, 45-60% of the participants were accepting of exposure for
cancer treatment and diagnosis, but only 30% were accepting of exposure for X-ray
diagnoses of bone fractures and dental caries. In general, the presence of a
child did not markedly affect women's acceptance of exposure. Factor analyses
identified 3 factors influencing the acceptance of child exposure: symptomatic
diseases to determine treatment, the possibility of high-risk diseases (or major
organ diseases), and the association with cancer. Cluster analysis showed 4
clusters: a positive group regarding children's exposure for the diagnosis of
bone fractures and dental caries (12.9% of all participants), a positive group
for major organ disease and cancer (15.5%), a negative group excluding cancer
(55.2%), and a positive group for all cases (16.4%). The cluster distributions
revealed that mothers with 10-to 18-year-old firstborn children showed a tendency
to accept the medical radiation exposure of their children in all cases.

Oral Oncol. 2009 Sep;45(9):e80-4. Epub 2009 May 12.
The influence of different irradiation doses and desensitizer application on
demineralization of human dentin.
Bekes K, Francke U, Schaller HG, Kuhnt T, Gerlach R, Vordermark D, Gernhardt CR.
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental
Medicine, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, Halle, Germany.
[email protected]
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of different irradiation
doses after desensitizer application on the onset of initial demineralization of
human dentin in situ. The root surfaces of 45 freshly extracted caries-free human
molars were cleaned, thereby removing the cementum. From each tooth two root
dentin specimens were prepared. The specimens were distributed among the
following experimental groups: 0, 0.5, 1, 2 and 5Gy. The irradiation dose was
fractionally applied (0.5Gy/day). One dentin specimen of each group was inserted
into both buccal aspects of nine intraoral mandibular appliances. On one side the
specimens were additionally coated with the desensitizer Hyposen (H). On the
other side, the specimens were left untreated (C). The appliances were worn by
nine persons for five weeks day and night. During meals, the appliance was stored
in 10% sucrose solution. After the in situ period, slabs (150microm) were ground
and studied using a polarized light microscope. Concerning radiation dose,
significant differences were observed between the control and 5Gy group (p<0.05,
Tukey s test). Pairwise comparison showed that lesion depths in groups treated
with Hyposen were significantly decreased. Within the limitations of this study
it can be concluded that higher radiation doses seem to increase the caries
susceptibility of dentin. The additional application of a desensitizer hampers
the demineralization and might have a caries-protective effect on exposed
irradiated root surfaces.

Z Med Phys. 2006;16(2):148-54.
Effect of tumor therapeutic irradiation on the mechanical properties of teeth
tissue.
Fränzel W, Gerlach R, Hein HJ, Schaller HG.
Department of Physics, Martin Luther University Halle, 06099 Halle, Germany.
[email protected]
Tumor irradiation of the head-neck area is accompanied by the development of a
so-called radiation caries in the treated patients. In spite of conservative
therapeutic measures, the process results in tooth destruction. The present study
investigated the effects of irradiation on the demineralization and
remineralization of the dental tissue. For this purpose, retained third molars
were prepared and assigned either to a test group, which was exposed to
fractional irradiation up to 60 Gy, or to a non-irradiated control group.
Irradiated and non-irradiated teeth were then demineralized using acidic
hydroxyl-cellulose gel; afterwards the teeth were remineralized using either
Bifluorid12 or elmex gelee. The nanoindentation technique was used to measure the
mechanical properties, hardness and elasticity, of the teeth in each of the
conditions. The values were compared to the non-irradiated control group.
Irradiation decreased dramatically the mechanical parameters of enamel and
dentine. In nonirradiated teeth, demineralization had nearly the same effects of
irradiation on the mechanical properties. In irradiated teeth, the effects of
demineralization were negligible in comparison to non-irradiated teeth.
Remineralization with Bifluorid12 or elmex gelee led to a partial improvement of
the mechanical properties of the teeth. The enamel was more positively affected
by remineralization than the dentine.

SADJ. 2008 Nov;63(10):532, 534-7.
Treatment and maintenance of a dentate patient with 'radiation caries'.
Craddock HL.
Division of Restorative Dentistry, Leeds Dental Institute, The Worsley Building,
Clarendon Way, Leeds LS2 9LU, UK.
Republished from:
Dent Update. 2006 Oct;33(8):462-4, 467-8.
Patients with xerostomia are presenting dental practitioners with challenges in
caries control, long-term restoration and prosthodontic difficulties. In many
cases, extraction may be the best option, but for younger, dentate patients, this
may be inappropriate. This paper describes the management of a young partially
dentate patient with severe xerostomia following irradiation of the salivary
glands. Preventive and restorative management are discussed, together with
treatment and healing of peri-radicular pathology. The case report demonstrates
that long-term stabilization and management of caries and peri-radicular lesions
are possible over a seven-year period for a patient with severe radiation caries.

Caries Res. 2009;43(1):43-9. Epub 2009 Jan 19.
Patterns of demineralization and dentin reactions in radiation-related caries.
Silva AR, Alves FA, Antunes A, Goes MF, Lopes MA.
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Piracicaba Dental School, UNICAMP, Piracicaba, Brazil.
Radiation-related caries is a unique form of rampant decay and is a complication
of head and neck radiotherapy that frequently causes generalized dental
destruction and impairs quality of life in cancer patients. The aim of this study
was to investigate the patterns of demineralization of caries in irradiated
patients and to establish whether direct radiogenic damage to the dentition might
be important in the progression of radiation-related caries. Teeth from patients
who had concluded radiotherapy were examined histologically by polarized light
microscopy, and the ultrastructure was examined by scanning backscattered
electron microscopy. Cervical caries and incisal caries, a very unusual sort of
lesion, were widely detected. Additionally, diffuse brown discoloration of the
smooth surface of enamel was frequently observed. Polarized light microscopy
suggested that these areas were incipient caries. Evidence of normal odontoblast
function was observed in the detection of reactionary dentin and intratubular
dentin deposition. In conclusion, radiation-related caries seems to have the same
morphological and demineralization pattern as ordinary caries, with the presence
of demineralized dentin, a translucent zone, dentin dead tracts, reactionary
dentin and intratubular dentin deposition. Based on these findings, direct
radiogenic destruction of the teeth seems to be not essential to the microscopic
progression of radiation-related caries. Copyright 2009 S. Karger AG, Basel."

And when I asked him about mercury leaching from root canals continuously and replacing it with a metal / mercury-free alternative:

"It depends on what the filling material was (my dentist used calcium oxide), but the amount absorbed from amalgam fillings and food is probably much more significant."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: atrial fibrillation, natural horm

:hattip redhead19047

Source

redhead19047 said:
I emailed Ray with a few questions regarding atrial fibrillation, natural hormones and thyroid. Thought everyone would like to see his response:

Ray Peat said:
"Vitamins D and K, and calcium are important for stabilizing the heart rhythm. Estrogen tends to cause chemical hyperventilation (loss of carbon dioxide), which increases blood viscosity and the tendency toward atrial fibrillation. Progesterone and those other steroids have opposite effects (progesterone is a natural aldosterone antagonist, too). Thyroid is essential for helping cells to retain magnesium. A quart or two of milk, and a glass or two of orange juice every day helps with the main stabilizing minerals, but it's good to have sea food once a week, especially shell fish, for the trace minerals."

Attachments

• koch_survival_factor.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 495
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Red Light Blue Light

Anon said:
Once I asked Dr. Peat about blue X red light, because I had read something about blue light (the one dentists use to harden the fillings) being effective in decreasing oral cancer cell growth. How could BLUE light be healing? He said:

Ray Peat said:
"Plain incandescent bulbs have enough of the red spectrum to work. Blue light is slightly toxic, so like ultraviolet is can slow cell division, but its toxicity also causes inflammation. Red light reduces inflammation, but it tends to increase proliferation."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Phosphoric Acid in Coke

:hattip Tomisonbottom

Regarding: Phosphoric Acid in Coke

tomisonbottom said:
"I was wondering if you would mind sharing on your opinion on the phosphoric acid found in Coke? And/or would it be more beneficial to do bag breathing instead of drinking coke? Or does Coke have specific special benefits?"

Ray Peat said:
"The coca leaf and cola seed extracts are valuable antiinflammatories.
The amount of phosphate is very small compared to the amount in meat, fish, beans, nuts, and grains."

Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Coconut Sugar

:hattip HollyLooyah

Regarding Coconut Sugar

HollyLooyah said:
I wrote Dr. Peat about coconut sugar:

Ray Peat said:
If it's browned from heating, it's more likely to be allergenic, and even without too much heat, some people are likely to be allergic to it. But if it doesn't cause any reactions, then it's very good, with some nutritional value.
Honey is in some ways better than white sugar, but depending on the plants it's derived from, it can be allergenic. White sugar has the advantage of being very clean. Fruits have many valuable nutrients, so are the best way to get sugars, when good ones are available.

Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Coconut Meat

:hattip Mittir

Regarding Coconut Meat

Mittir said:
I just got a reply from Ray Peat about coconut meat

Ray Peat said:
"It often causes gas and irritation symptoms."

Source

Dan W

Dan Wich said:
[...]I'm trying to determine how safe hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (hypromellose) is. It has many studies supporting its safety, but I've noticed that most of them were run by the same people in a small time period, which makes me suspicious. Do you think a person should avoid small amounts of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose?

Ray Peat said:
I think it's good to avoid it when possible; there's an article by Gerhart Volkheimer, on persorption, that explains how particulate matter of all sorts can enter the blood stream from the intestine.

eminions

Here are some responses I have received from Ray Peat:

Regarding Acne:
Have you tried anything topical, such as sulfur, or an antibiotic such as minocycline? 10% sulfur soap leaves an antiseptic residue on the skin that can prevent infection.

I think it would be good to try the sulfur soap first.

The simple ones are what I use; I haven't tried one with salicylic acid.

Is it okay to shower twice a day and use sulfur soap?
The sulfur lingers on the skin for at least a day. It can leave you fairly smelly.

Can flowers of sulfur taken internally help with acne? Would minocycline also help?Either of them can help, but with prolonged use the intestine can develop sensitivity to the sulfur. causing irritation instead of stopping it.

Does masturbation or sex have positive or negative effects on the hormones or stress?Generally positive, but intense arousal can have unwanted consequences, such as herpes virus outbreaks.

Regarding Light and Light proximity:
If it's comfortable it isn't harmful, but it's easy to get burned when they are so close. Your body temperature is likely to rise, otherwise I don't know of any problem from prolonged light (but even incandescent light does have some slightly harmful blue light, so you should watch your own reactions to it).

Does it matter where the bright light shines on your body to receive beneficial effects?
Does it matter if you have clothes on?

Bare skin is best; for effects on the nervous system, shining on head, face, neck and back is good.

Does infrared light and red/orange light also increase the need for vitamin A?
Not as far as I know.

What is the best/safest way to cook seafood? I would assume boiling, steaming or frying in coconut oil.
Those, or butter.

Do you have an opinion on how LCD screens affect eye strain or sleeping?
People react differently to different screens. Keeping the room bright, and the screen not too bright, can reduce the eye strain. This person has very detailed information about them: http://www.conradbiologic.com/articles/ ... ckerI.html

Carrot Salad:
Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine.

Are there any pros and cons to consuming liver and oyster in a large amount once a week or a small amount daily?
Is any of those better, or is there no difference nutritionally/health wise and only has to do with convenience?

Convenience, because of the time preparing things.

If I consume Orange Juice, Milk, Oysters and Cocoa Powder at the same time, will the Inhibition from the Cocoa Powder override the effects of the Orange Juice in regards to Iron absorption?
I think it would be a balance.

What would minimize stress the most on the body, taking cold, lukewarm or warm showers? Or would taking baths be better?
Warm showers can lower stress, and if the bath isn't too warm, it's effective, too; if the bath raises the body temperature, that can cause the metabolism to increase, sometimes causing low blood sugar.

Is 100% cocoa powder can be a suitable replacement for coffee in regards to iron inhibition?
Yes.

Do you consider stretching or yoga healthy? Or lifting weights or sprinting infrequently for that matter?
Those can all be helpful. The two things that most often make exercise harmful are activity that keeps the lactic acid high chronically, and "eccentric" exercise, in which muscles are stretched while contracting, as in running downhill.

So to clarify, lifting weights with only concentric exercises, while making sure to not get out of breath would be the best practice?
Does high intensity/low volume produce greater lactic acid then high volume/low intensity?

If volume refers to the mass of muscle involved, probably not, depending on the exact intensities and volumes.
Ten pound dumbells, lifted quickly for 30 to 60 seconds, for example, is usually good for increasing the anabolic and protective hormones.

Is there anything to worry about/look out for when using deodorant or shaving cream?
It's possible to make them without toxic ingredients, but I don't know of any such products.

Stilgar

Q: What is your opinion on Centrophenoxine/Meclofenoxate, piracetam or DMAE, for lipofuscin removal? The former particularly seems to have interesting effects on neurotransmitters in the brain.

A: I don't think there's nearly enough knowledge about its interactions with diet, stress, and hormones.

Exp Gerontol. 1991;26(4):365-74.
Effect of vitamin E on the accumulation of fluorescent material in cultured
cerebral cortical cells of mice.
Kan S, Devi SA, Kawashima S.
Zoological Institute, Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo, Japan.
The effect of vitamin E on the accumulation of lipofuscin-containing fluorescent
material in the mouse cerebral cortical cells in primary culture was studied.
Fluorescent material was extracted in ethanol:diethylether (3:1) and
autofluorescence intensity of the extracts was measured by a
spectrofluorophotometer. Although vitamin E at the concentration of 0.005 IU/ml
was not effective, 0.01 IU/ml vitamin E inhibited the accumulation of fluorescent
material. Fluorescent material accumulation was reduced to 76.3-86.4% of the
control level in 6-, 12-, or 18-day treatment of 0.01 IU/ml vitamin E. High doses
of vitamin E (0.05 or 0.1 IU/ml) were toxic for cultured cells. Ethanol, the
vehicle of vitamin E, at the final concentration of 0.005% was also effective on
the reduction of fluorescent material accumulation (81.0% of the control level at
18 days). The inhibitory effects of vitamin E as well as ethanol on the
accumulation of fluorescent material in cultured cells are explained by their
nature as free radical scavengers.

Exp Gerontol. 2002 Oct-Nov;37(10-11):1223-8.
Mild stress-induced stimulation of heat-shock protein synthesis and improved
functional ability of human fibroblasts undergoing aging in vitro.
Fonager J, Beedholm R, Clark BF, Rattan SI.
Laboratory of Cellular Ageing, Department of Molecular Biology, Danish Centre for
Molecular Gerontology, University of Aarhus, Gustav Wieds Vej 10-C, DK-8000
Aarhus-C, Denmark.
Repeated mild heat-shock (RMHS) treatment has anti-aging hormetic effects on
human fibroblasts undergoing aging in vitro. Since heat and various other
stresses induce the transcription and translation of heat-shock proteins (Hsp),
it was investigated if RMHS treatment affected the basal levels of four major
stress proteins Hsp27, 70, 90 and Hsc70. The basal levels of Hsp27, Hsc70, and
Hsp70 increased significantly in late passage senescent cells, which is
indicative of an adaptive response to cumulative intracellular stress during
aging. RMHS increased the levels of these Hsp even in early passage young cells
and were maintained high throughout their replicative lifespan. In comparison,
the amount of Hsp90 decreased both with aging and RMHS treatment in vitro.
However, whereas the difference in the levels of Hsp70 and Hsp90 was
statistically significant, the levels of Hsp27 and Hsc70 were statistically
similar in normal and RMHS-treated serially passaged cells. These alterations
were accompanied by an improved functional and survival ability of the cells in
terms of increased proteasomal activities, increased ability to decompose
H(2)O(2), reduced accumulation of lipofuscin and enhanced resistance to ethanol,
H(2)O(2) and UV-A radiation.

Free Radic Biol Med. 1989;7(6):611-6.
Effect of ethanol on lipofuscin accumulation in cultured rat cardiac myocytes.
Sohal RS, Marzabadi MR, Brunk UT.
Department of Biological Sciences, Southern Methodist University, Dallas TX
The objective of this study was to determine the effect of ethanol on in vitro
life span, rate of contraction and lipofuscin content of neonatal rat cardiac
myocytes. Lipofuscin was quantified by microspectrofluorometry. The effects of 0,
3.1, 6.5, and 12.5 mM ethanol on myocytes, kept under an ambient oxygen
concentration of 20% and 40%, were studied. Exposure to low concentrations of
ethanol resulted in a decrease in the amount of lipofuscin whereas exposure to
high concentration of ethanol caused an increase in the level of lipofuscin. The
length of cell survival in controls and 3.1 mM ethanol exposed myocytes was
similar under 20% oxygen, but was longer in the latter group under 40% oxygen, as
compared to controls. The total number of contractions in 3.1 mM ethanol-exposed
myocytes were, respectively, 4% and 8% higher under 20% and 40% oxygen atmosphere
than in control cells.

Pharmacology. 1978;16 Suppl 1:36-44.
Dihydroergotoxine(Hydergine) and ethanol-induced aging of C57BL/6J male mice.
Samorajski T, Rolsten C, Pratte KA.
The residual effects of dihydroergotoxine (Hydergine), ethanol, and
Hydergine-plus-ethanol were investigated in old male mice of the C57BL/6J strain.
Prolonged 10% v/v ethanol, concomitant with adequate nutrition, produced a
significant decrease in life-span, decreased spontaneous locomotor activity and
reduced lipofuscin accumulation in neurons of the reticularis gigantocellularis.
These effects were not apparent in mice treated with Hydergine or alcohol
combined with Hydergine.

Indian J Exp Biol. 1996 Aug;34(8):776-81.
Age-related decline in multiple unit action potentials of cerebral cortex
correlates with the number of lipofuscin-containing neurons.
Sharma D, Singh R.
Neurobiology Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India.
The present study examined whether there is any obvious correlation between the
density of lipofuscin-containing neurons and the spontaneous neuronal action
potentials (Multiple Unit Activity, MUA) in the parietal cortex of the aging rat
brain. The results showed that MUA counts were decreased with age while the
number of lipofuscin-containing neurons was increased. The cortex with the
highest percentage of lipofuscin-containing neurons had the lowest MUA counts
while the cortex with the lowest percentage of lipofuscin-containing neurons had
the highest MUA counts. The inverse correlation between MUA and
lipofuscin-containing neuron number was also evident when the population of the
lipofuscin-containing neurons was pharmacologically altered in vivo by the
administration of anti-lipofuscin drug centrophenoxine. The inverse relationship
between MUA and the lipofuscin-containing neuron numbers is consistent with: (i)
the correlations of MUA with age-related changes in lipid peroxidation and
biochemically measured lipofuscin concentration, and (ii) the oxidative
stress-induced impairments of neuronal electrophysiology.

Eye (Lond). 2011 Apr;25(4):519-27. doi: 10.1038/eye.2011.7. Epub 2011 Feb 11.
Calcium overload is associated with lipofuscin formation in human retinal pigment
epithelial cells fed with photoreceptor outer segments.
Zhang L, Hui YN, Wang YS, Ma JX, Wang JB, Ma LN.
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye Institute of Chinese PLA, Xijing Hospital, The
Fourth Military University, Xian, Shaanxi, China.
PURPOSE: To investigate the role of Ca²(+) in lipofuscin formation in human
retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells that phagocytize bovine photoreceptor
outer segments (POSs).
METHODS: Cultured human RPE cells fed with 2 × 10⁷per l bovine POS were treated
with flunarizine, an antagonist of Ca²(+) channel, or/and centrophenoxine, a
lipofuscin scavenger. The Ca²(+) changes and lipofuscin formation were measured
with fluoresence dye Fluo-3/AM ester, laser scanning confocal microscopy (LSCM)
and flow cytometry (FCM). The activity of RPE cells was measured by methyl
thiazolyl tetrazolium (MTT) assay and argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions
(AgNORs) assay.
RESULTS: The Ca²(+) fluorescence intensity (CFI) of RPE cells fed with POS was
significantly increased compared with the controls (165.36 ± 29.92 U). It reached
a peak with 777.33 ± 63.86 U (P<0.01) at 12 h, and then decreased but still
maintained a high level of 316.90 ± 36.07 U (P<0.01) for 4 days. Flunarizine and
centrophenoxine significantly decreased the Ca²(+) overload to 227.18 ± 14.00 U
at 12 h and 211.06 ± 20.45 U at 4 days. FCM confirmed these changes. The drugs
also showed an inhibitory effect on the lipofuscin formation. The proliferation
rate of the cells fed with POS increased significantly. Both drugs had inhibitory
effects on the activity of the cultured cells. This tendency was confirmed by
AgNORs assay.
CONCLUSIONS: The Ca²(+) inflow initiated lipofuscin accumulation in RPE cells fed
with POS. Flunarizine and centrophenoxine can decrease Ca²(+) overload and
lipofuscin formation in RPE cells, accompanied by maintaining cellular vitality.

Indian J Exp Biol. 1992 Jun;30(6):470-3.
'Dark' cell formation under protein malnutrition: process of conversion and
concept of 'semi-dark' type Purkinje cells.
James TJ, Sharma SP, Gupta SK, Patro IK.
Department of Zoology, Kurukshetra University, India.
This paper deals with some deleterious effects of protein malnourishment in rat
cerebellum. Severe protein deprivation enhanced the formation of 'dark' cells in
white rats. It is postulated that abnormal changes in the neuronal contents
induced by nutritional stress play a vital role in the formation of the 'dark'
cells through an intermediary stage, 'semi-dark' cells. Centrophenoxine a
lipofuscinolytic agent, however, seems to interfere with the process of formation
of 'dark' cells and/or helps reconversion of the 'dark' cells into the normal or
'light' type Purkinje cells.

J Gerontol. 1983 Sep;38(5):525-31.
Lipofuscin response to the "aging-reversal" drug centrophenoxine in rat retinal pigment epithelium and frontal cortex.
Katz ML, Robison WG Jr.
The effects of centrophenoxine on the lipofuscin contents of the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) and frontal cortex of the brain were examined in senescent female Fischer rats. Rats (106 weeks old) were injected daily for 11 weeks with centrophenoxine (80 to 120 mg/kg body weight) or saline, and then sacrificed along with untreated 28- and 46-week-old controls. The number of lipofuscin granules seen in the RPE by light microscopy increased by 70% between 28 and 117 weeks of age in control animals. There was a concomitant age-related increase in lipofuscin specific fluorescence in the RPE. Centrophenoxine treatment neither reduced the amount of lipofuscin, nor altered the ultrastructural appearance of lipofuscin granules in the RPE. Between 28 and 117 weeks of age, there was an almost nine-fold increase in the lipofuscin content of the frontal cortex of control animals; centrophenoxine treatment failed to reverse this pigment accumulation.

Retina. 1982;2(4):263-81.
The roles of vitamin E and unsaturated fatty acids in the visual process.
Robison WG, Kuwabara T, Bieri JG.
Laboratory of Vision Research, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of
Health, Bethesda, Maryland, MD 20205.
Relatively high proportions of long-chain, polyunsaturated fatty acids seem to be
required in rod photoreceptor membranes in order to provide the precise
microenvironment for the proper function of the visual pigment rhodopsin. At the
same time, such high levels of lipid unsaturation put the photoreceptor membranes
at a high risk for autoxidation. The antioxidant vitamin E which can minimize
autoxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids is found in rather high
concentrations in the outer segment membranes. Dietary deficiency in vitamin E
induces disintegration of rod outer segment membranes, probably by increasing
autoxidation. Also, it greatly accelerates the accumulation of aging pigments in
the retinal pigment epithelium, probably because these lipofuscin granules do
indeed represent the end products of lipid peroxidation. Vitamin E supplements,
up to threefold normal levels, appear to provide no significant protection of the
retina from light damage produced either by short but acute or by long-term, low
level exposures to light. This is not consistent with current theories which
implicate lipid peroxidation in the destruction of rod outer segments in light
damaged retinas; more work is needed before any relation between retinal light
damage and vitamin E levels can be assessed. Surprisingly, the amount of
lipofuscin granule accumulation in the retinal pigment epithelium is influenced
dramatically by dietary levels of vitamin A. Even retinas lacking a source of
polyunsaturated fatty acids from rod outer segments still may accumulate massive
lipofuscin if dietary vitamin A is provided. Perhaps vitamin A, which has such a
dynamic relationship with the retinal pigment epithelium, becomes oxidized, and
then contributes to the formation of a lipofuscin-like pigment. Centrophenoxine,
a drug claimed to be effective in reversing the accumulation of age-related
lipofuscin in the central nervous system, has no obvious effect in the eye or
uterus in removing the lipofuscin granules induced by vitamin E deficiency.
Microperoxisomes are abundant in the retinal pigment epithelium, and may be
associated with rapid lipid turnover and/or utilization of lipid soluble
vitamins. Their potential roles, however, need further documentation and
clarification. Recently developed techniques and new discoveries in lipid
research open the way for many fruitful studies on the interactions and precise
roles of lipids and lipid-soluble vitamins in vision.

J Gerontol (1977) 32 (1): 38-45.
Effects of Dimethylaminoethanol Upon Life-span and Behavior of Aged Japanese Quail1
Arthur Cherkin, Michael J. Eckardt
Psychobiology Research Laboratory, Veterans Administration Hospital, Sepulveda, CA 91343 and Depts. of Anesthesiology & Psychiatry. UCLA. Psychobiology Research Laboratory, Veterans Administration Hospital Sepulveda, CA 91343.
The lysosome hypothesis of aging predicts that membrane stabilizers will extend life-span. Stabilizers containing the dimethylaminoethanol moiety (DMAE) have been reported to extend the life-span of drosophila and mice. We tested the prediction in Japanese quail (N = 15) by administering DMAE bitartrate (18.4 mg/kg/day) in the drinking water for 69 weeks, starting at 195 weeks of age. A matched control group (N = 14) received tartaric acid (4.0 mg/kg/day) in the water. Contrary to the prediction, the DMAE-treated group had a shorter life-span after start of treatment (49 weeks) than the controls (69 weeks). No significant differences between the groups were observed in body weight or daily fluid intake. Three behavioral studies were carried out on survivors at 243-249 weeks of age, namely; activity response to light-flash; sexual mounting response to a female quail; and classical conditioning of the heart rate. Aged quail differed from young-adults in changes in motor activity in response to light flashes. Aged quail appeared less responsive initially to reinforced conditioning trials and demonstrated extinction when light flash was not followed by electric shock. There were no detectable differences in latency to mount or in basal heart rate, either as a function of age or as a function of DMAE treatment.

J

j.

Q: Do you take vitamin E even after having avoided PUFA for years?

Ray Peat said:
No, I stopped taking it, partly because of the new manufacturing methods, that were associated for several years with adding soy oil to the product.

HDD

In regard to sun damaged skin and using Fluorouracil cream for skin cancer:

Ray Peat said:
Topical vitamin A with vitamin E would be protective. Progesterone and caffeine are other powerfully protective things. Both caffeine and progesterone are protective topically as well as orally.

About 6% of the fluorouracil is absorbed systemically.

Haagendazendiane said:
Why would the skin problems become worse on a diet for increasing metabolism?

Ray Peat said:
Vitamins and trace minerals have to increase proportionally as the metabolic rate increases.

eminions

Reposted from Email Advice Depository Discussion:

Oh, and not really a Ray Peat quote, but from Trader Joe's:

Does any of the Trader Joe's brand orange juice contain added enzymes or flavors?
Do you also know if the orange juice from concentrate has water with fluoride added to it?

Thank you for contacting us! None of our Trader Joe's Orange Juice varieties will contain added enzymes or flavor packets. Each of our products will be made with different ingredients, including water, therefore we cannot answer your fluoride inquiry specifically unless you have a specific TJ'S product in mind.

Also another answer from Trader Joe's:
Is peel added to the Trader Joe's brand Not From Concentrate Orange Juice?
There is no peel added to our Trader Joe's Orange Juice Not from Concentrate.

From Ray Peat:

Old:
Question:
Basically is 40 Grams of fat a day enough?
Answer:
I think that's enough, having a little with the other foods is best.

New:
Question:
Basically: What are the safest supplements to continue using/best ones to wean off of. I only really asked about: Thryoid, VA, VD, VE, VK, Aspirin, Niacinamide.

Answers:
Most supplements contain enough impurities to eventually cause problems. Thyroid and aspirin are among the safest, and the most likely to be valuable indefinitely.
It depends on where you live, but vitamin D3, vitamin K, and selenium deficiencies are extremely widespread.

J

j.

I asked if cassava was a good food.

Ray Peat said:
Cyanide is a goitrogen, and its quantity varies with the way the cassava is prepared. It's essential for the starch to be very well cooked, and eaten with some fat.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Excedrin

:hattip stunningkeke

Regarding Excedrin

stunningkeke said:
just asked RP if taking 2 tabs of excedrin was bad fir liver since i have been taking that amount since i had this brain injury and many bad headaches. and he says this:

Ray Peat said:
"Yes, although the aspirin and caffeine help to detoxify acetaminophen"

Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: DHEA

:hattip everydayimshufflin over at Peatarian.

Regarding DHEA

everydayimshufflin said:
I got the DHEA today how much should I take? How should I take it?

Ray Peat said:
If your thyroid is very low, you should be cautious with the DHEA, because stress hormones can cause it to turn to estrogen. 5 mg of DHEA taken with a little olive oil or butter can have a noticeable effect on your mood and muscle tone in a few hours.

Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Possible Pregnenolone Side Effect

:hattip flaviom

Regarding Possible Pregnenolone Side Effects

flaviom said:
FWIW I mailed Ray about the issues I was having with pregnenolone, namely sadness, irritability, major hair loss, insomnia, weight gain and here's his reply:

Ray Peat said:
Excipients or impurities in capsules can cause symptoms, by irritating the intestine. In animal studies (and in myself), extremely large doses didn't have any more effects than minimal doses. It's possible to eliminate some of the impurities by mixing it with warm vitamin E, and after stirring it, allowing it to settle, and using only what dissolved in the vitamin E.

flaviom said:
Then I asked if there's no way it can convert to excess estrogen or some other stress related hormone, under certain circumstances, like not getting enough protein or sugar, or some other nutrient, or adequate light. Also asked if someone is running on stress hormones from low thyroid and pregnenolone lowers those hormones, would it make things worse by lowering the metabolism even further.

Ray Peat said:
I haven't heard of a situation like that; I'll see if I can find any information relating to that possibility.

Source

J

j.

Is there anything different about taking pregnenolone for someone with a personality disorder, such as psychopathy or borderline personality disorder?

Ray Peat said:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: blackstrap molasses

:hattip rosenfeltc

Regarding blackstrap molasses

rosenfeltc said:
Unfortunately Ray Peat isn't a fan of blackstrap molasses. I asked him about it a couple days ago and he replied

Ray Peat said:
"Although it's extremely rich in minerals, I think the intense heat used for concentrating it degrades the sugar into things that are likely to be allergens."

rosenfeltc said:
Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just thought it should be mentioned in case some people were having some digestive problems with it.

Source of quote

Dan W

:hattip thanks to BaconBits' post:

Regarding Magnesium Oxide

Ray Peat said:
I don't recommend the oxide, because it's very poorly absorbed, but the carbonate is well absorbed. I don't recommend chemical supplements of magnesium, though, because they all contain some manufacturing impurities that can cause bowel inflammation, such as hemorrhoids. Well cooked greens are very good sources, coffee and chocolate are, too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals