Ray Peat & Blood Typing

ursidae

Further learning after the blood type diet about PUFA’a and grains I don’t think they are better for anybody, as Ray Peat has gone so far as to say thats grains are “poor people food”, “famine food” and “not optimal”. I don’t think any of those statements are untrue. “A” type blood has poorer digestion so I think grains won’t be more digestible for them than to 0 types. The blood type diet is more about how the body/blood goes into attack mode with different foods, creating lectins which cause fatigue, aches and pain and inflammation and if a person continues to eat those toxic foods they eventually get the diseases they are predisposed to get. After reading the book “Wheat Belly” l was really convinced that there is no good health that comes from eating starches. There is definetly vitamins and minerals to be had, and no denying they are satiating, but they cause more negatives than positives and are not “optimal”. I am an 0 blood type and have done very well on the Ray Peat dieting eating mostly dairy and lots of sugar sources. The blood type diet does not address calcium and blood sugar issues, really just the lectins. It cured aches and pains, but my teeth were suffering from plenty of black beans and no calcium/dairy sources, except for some occasional mozzarella and goat cheese. The blood type was a necessary piece of a puzzle in getting my heath to where I am at now, unlike the keto and other diets that I tried.
dairy and eggs contain lectins too

starches do not require you to have strong gastric acid which is the supposed blood type A weakness. You need good salivation (and to be among the ethnic groups with high salivary amylase). you also need a functioning pancreas to digest a starch

It's dairy that would be difficult to digest for someone with insufficient stomach acidity because it's alkaline, high water content and contains casein which is extremely difficult to hydrolyse

once again the broad term starch should not be used to exclusively refer to wheat, there is a huge variety of starches that includes non grain starches such as fruit starches (breadfruit and plantain) and tuber starches (potato, yam, sweet potato). Peat has not disapproved of some of these non grain starches and they are very gentle on the gut when cooked thoroughly. Of course, they're also on the forbidden lectin list for blood type A.

no amount of paragraphs and mental gymnastics has so far explained how to eat a Peat diet while also avoiding the food containing lectins that are contraindicated for a blood type A person which include dairy eggs beef lamb shellfish tubers and most tropical fruit

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
dairy and eggs contain lectins too

starches do not require you to have strong gastric acid which is the supposed blood type A weakness. You need good salivation (and to be among the ethnic groups with high salivary amylase). you also need a functioning pancreas to digest a starch

It's dairy that would be difficult to digest for someone with insufficient stomach acidity because it's alkaline, high water content and contains casein which is extremely difficult to hydrolyse

once again the broad term starch should not be used to exclusively refer to wheat, there is a huge variety of starches that includes non grain starches such as fruit starches (breadfruit and plantain) and tuber starches (potato, yam, sweet potato). Peat has not disapproved of some of these non grain starches and they are very gentle on the gut when cooked thoroughly. Of course, they're also on the forbidden lectin list for blood type A.

no amount of paragraphs and mental gymnastics has so far explained how to eat a Peat diet while also avoiding the food containing lectins that are contraindicated for a blood type A person which include dairy eggs beef lamb shellfish tubers and most tropical fruit
Your right, I should have said grains are not optimal. As I said in my opening post you can’t do both, “Peat” and follow the blood type diet. The point of my post is for people who have health issues and trouble “Peating” to consider lectins in particular foods one is eating to be a possible cause. As for dairy, it t is only difficult for people digest nowadays because the milk is pasteurized and lacks the enzymes necessary to digest it. That is why “Lactaid” helps people to digest milk, and raw milk is amazing! I did dn’t drink milk for more than 15 years because I had trouble digesting it, but not anymore :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Blood is divided into types, and the types are defined by whether or not certain antigens, usually proteins, are present. An antigen is a substance that can make the body’s immune system react. There is a system called the ABO system for defining blood types.”

“One of the world's rarest blood types is one named Rh-null. This blood type is distinct from Rh negative since it has none of the Rh antigens at all. There are less than 50 people who have this blood type. It is sometimes called “golden blood.”

snappy99

Further learning after the blood type diet about PUFA’a and grains I don’t think they are better for anybody, as Ray Peat has gone so far as to say thats grains are “poor people food”, “famine food” and “not optimal”. I don’t think any of those statements are untrue. “A” type blood has poorer digestion so I think grains won’t be more digestible for them than to 0 types. The blood type diet is more about how the body/blood goes into attack mode with different foods, creating lectins which cause fatigue, aches and pain and inflammation and if a person continues to eat those toxic foods they eventually get the diseases they are predisposed to get. After reading the book “Wheat Belly” l was really convinced that there is no good health that comes from eating starches. There is definetly vitamins and minerals to be had, and no denying they are satiating, but they cause more negatives than positives and are not “optimal”. I am an 0 blood type and have done very well on the Ray Peat dieting eating mostly dairy and lots of sugar sources. The blood type diet does not address calcium and blood sugar issues, really just the lectins. It cured aches and pains, but my teeth were suffering from plenty of black beans and no calcium/dairy sources, except for some occasional mozzarella and goat cheese. The blood type was a necessary piece of a puzzle in getting my heath to where I am at now, unlike the keto and other diets that I tried.
This is really helpful, thank you. Interesting, too. So many different piece to it all and more to experiment with. I never considered the lectins angle before. I really need to read the book.

I have noticed that my body seems to do well with raw goat milk and goat cheese, which are “neutral” on blood type A diet, and not wonderfully on lots of meat. And I’ve always loved fruits and veggies. I’m one of those people who actually craves veggies (especially cooked greens, parsley and broccoli). So in some ways it actually agrees with what’s intuitive. But maybe it’s a matter of marrying as much as possible with Peat’s research and also listening to our bodies. Adding in more fruit, juice and sugar recently has definitely been a good thing after avoiding sugar for years.

I’m not sure I could give up starch totally. I love my pasta! And I get too hungry. But it’s definitely been helpful to add in sugars with more minerals rather than relying solely on starch.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is really helpful, thank you. Interesting, too. So many different piece to it all and more to experiment with. I never considered the lectins angle before. I really need to read the book.

I have noticed that my body seems to do well with raw goat milk and goat cheese, which are “neutral” on blood type A diet, and not wonderfully on lots of meat. And I’ve always loved fruits and veggies. I’m one of those people who actually craves veggies (especially cooked greens, parsley and broccoli). So in some ways it actually agrees with what’s intuitive. But maybe it’s a matter of marrying as much as possible with Peat’s research and also listening to our bodies. Adding in more fruit, juice and sugar recently has definitely been a good thing after avoiding sugar for years.

I’m not sure I could give up starch totally. I love my pasta! And I get too hungry. But it’s definitely been helpful to add in sugars with more minerals rather than relying solely on starch.
“It’s a matter of marrying in as much as possible with Peat’s research” has been exactly my approach. You said it better than I did.

Last edited:

snappy99

“It’s a matter of marrying in as much as possible with Peat’s research” has been exactly my approach. You said better than I did.
Love it! Thank you for sharing all of your experiences. It’s always great to learn from someone’s who’s been successful. And I have a lot to learn!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Love it! Thank you for sharing all of your experiences. It’s always great to learn from someone’s who’s been successful. And I have a lot to learn!
I have a lot to learn too! I really don’t like to trust people’s opinions, experiences are far more valuable. I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences :)

bavy

In my simplistic explaination:

The blood typing science is measuring lectins in the body that are created when individual foods are eaten and not welcome, much like the immune system's response to a virus. Lectins that accumulate, faster than they can be removed, settle throughout the body, especially joints, causing pain. The chronic inflammation eventually leads to worse situations such as cancer. Elimination of them, is like eleminating PUFA's, by not eating the offending foods anymore.

The speculation is that, in the beginning we were all "O" blood types, being mostly hunters and eating meat. Eventially some became "agrigarians", eating more of the animal's foods and growing crops, which evolved those people to acclimate, creating a new blood type "A" . Not sure about the science of that, but the Japanese sure are! Because "O" types are more primitive, their fight or flight response is still intact, unlike the more relaxed farmer "A" types, handling stress better. For that reason "O" types in Japan are chosen for the more stressful leadership and management positions. People in Japan even consider marriage partner's blood type for compatiability. I am an "O" and my husband is an "A" and absolutely everything has rang true, personality wise between us!

I started it 10+ years ago and it worked wonders, quickly curing my painful feet and the accelerating arthritis in my fingers, with neither to ever return again! It later cured my dad's excruciating rhematoid arthritis. For that reason, i still steer away from most of the "Toxic" foods for my "O" blood type and lean into the "Highly Beneficial" ones that Ray Peat would agree on. It sometimes makes me wonder if it plays any part as to why some people don't tolerate dairy and orange juice as well as others. I am drinking them both without pain! Just like there are many factors for why someone is healthy and an another is not, the lectins are nevertheless an issue. Knowing both sides VERY well, Ray's advice to eliminate the PUFA's, stop the "breathless exercise" and give the animals back their food is gonna make us live longer and slow down the aging process which is mighty important. Being on the blood type diet for several years, before "Peat", and avoiding the dairy, eventually created new issues for me, as does every well intended diet, but the pain problems i had have never came back. I will always be a subscriber to the blood type diet, but to a lesser degree, to keep those lectin's down. Ray Peat's protocol is far superior and gets to the root of problems, not just one branch. People in pain might do themselves some good though to see what "Toxic" food they could remove that aren't conflictive with Ray Peat's advice. For my "O" blood type I stay away from melons (except watermelon), cruciferous vegetables, calamari, smoked salmon, pork, wheat and many other grains, green tea, and more. I bought the book and read it through, more than once, but you can also check online to see which foods are recommended to avoid. If you don't know your blood type, there are cheap test kits online that can find out your blood type in a matter of minutes.

I found his book contradicts a lot of Ray's work. For example, I am type 0 and the author recommends to stay off of milk and eggs. How have you taken parts from both Ray Peat and this book to organize and integrate into your life? I'm curious what your "and more" list looks like as I dive into this new side of nutrition. Did you do a bunch of experiments to find out?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I found his book contradicts a lot of Ray's work. For example, I am type 0 and the author recommends to stay off of milk and eggs. How have you taken parts from both Ray Peat and this book to organize and integrate into your life? I'm curious what your "and more" list looks like as I dive into this new side of nutrition. Did you do a bunch of experiments to find out?

I don’t have pain anymore so I can subscribe more to the Ray Peat’s protocol now. When I learned about the blood type diet from our chiropractor who also promoted holistic approaches, 12 years ago, I had bad foot pain and had some weight to lose, and I discovered I was heavy on all the foods that were toxic to my blood type. So I cut them ALL out and within days my tremendous foot pain went away. Now that I am healthy I eat oranges, milk and eggs, but that is it, I don’t eat any of the other toxic foods my blood type says to avoid. So I think some lectins our bodies can handle, especially if they are worth it. With so many people being on a Ray Peat protocol, and that definition being so broad, it leaves room to customize their diet, and I think it is wise for those who are still dealing with pain, weight and other issues to look into what foods their blood type reacts to so they can get somewhere with their health like I have.

AlaskaJono

Wow, just got off the phone with my brother who got onto the Type O diet in 1998 when I suggested he try it. Still at it today, though modified as he found that grains just do not work for him, and he can't do Cow dairy so does goat and sheep milk products. Lots of veggies, mostly steamed. He does eat fish regularly. And a little red meat, chicken. He does some butter, olive oil, avocado oil, and I just reminded him of coconut oil. He forgot. This dude is low weight for his height, but I said to eat a little more fat, as in butter or cheese. He eats fruit but no sugar, no juices, no cravings for such either.

@snappy99 I am a type A blood also, and was a pure veggie with a little diary years ago, just for about 2-3 years.... but my body loved getting back into more dairy and fish for a few years, then introduced red meat again and never looked back. I must say that I cleared out a number of digestion issues during my 2-3 years of simple eating, and was very physical during that time, as well as lots of fluids, herbal teas, and honey added. :): For many years now we have had a bone broth soup 5 nights a week, and when it has been a week or two I notice that I begin to crave it. I probably need more liver in my life, and just have to do it as is it available. (With onions at least, and a little bacon what the hell...). I do not see the type A diet being healthy for me, but if it works for you for a while, why not. One must go 'all in' to discover how something is sometimes, and adjust from there. A 'Peat inspired diet' is one that works with your metabolism in mind, and the benefits must be noticeable in my mind, not just numbers on a test. Peat in some ways boils our functioning down to 'what is the least poisonous food (or breakdown of food) I can eat in order to maximise my cellular and organ metabolism for health and efficiency and longevity.' - just my winging this description.... .

snappy99

Wow, just got off the phone with my brother who got onto the Type O diet in 1998 when I suggested he try it. Still at it today, though modified as he found that grains just do not work for him, and he can't do Cow dairy so does goat and sheep milk products. Lots of veggies, mostly steamed. He does eat fish regularly. And a little red meat, chicken. He does some butter, olive oil, avocado oil, and I just reminded him of coconut oil. He forgot. This dude is low weight for his height, but I said to eat a little more fat, as in butter or cheese. He eats fruit but no sugar, no juices, no cravings for such either.

@snappy99 I am a type A blood also, and was a pure veggie with a little diary years ago, just for about 2-3 years.... but my body loved getting back into more dairy and fish for a few years, then introduced red meat again and never looked back. I must say that I cleared out a number of digestion issues during my 2-3 years of simple eating, and was very physical during that time, as well as lots of fluids, herbal teas, and honey added. :): For many years now we have had a bone broth soup 5 nights a week, and when it has been a week or two I notice that I begin to crave it. I probably need more liver in my life, and just have to do it as is it available. (With onions at least, and a little bacon what the hell...). I do not see the type A diet being healthy for me, but if it works for you for a while, why not. One must go 'all in' to discover how something is sometimes, and adjust from there. A 'Peat inspired diet' is one that works with your metabolism in mind, and the benefits must be noticeable in my mind, not just numbers on a test. Peat in some ways boils our functioning down to 'what is the least poisonous food (or breakdown of food) I can eat in order to maximise my cellular and organ metabolism for health and efficiency and longevity.' - just my winging this description.... .
Thanks, this is really helpful to hear as well. I want to try and incorporate some of the wisdom of both if I can. I can totally see, as Rinse notes, we can probably handle some lectins but best not to have the majority of our diets coming from the “avoid” list. I could see a shorter stint without any of the lectins being helpful to clear things out, too.

I totally hear you on the soups. I adore broths and soups. A super digestible way to get all the nutrients.

drjdmccoy

You're opinion holds no weight against my 10 year experience with it.
I think your approach is spot on. Blood type can provide a secondary indicator to guide diet and identify offending foods that may go under the radar screen (chicken and blood type B for example). I was trained by Dr. D'adamo during my naturopathic training. I wish I had the good fortune to be introduced to Ray earlier in my training and career. My entire art and practice has evolved since reading his articles and integrating his energetic concepts to modern naturopathic practice. Ray Peat is truly the most Naturopathic Doctor on the planet. Full stop.
Cheers.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think your approach is spot on. Blood type can provide a secondary indicator to guide diet and identify offending foods that may go under the radar screen (chicken and blood type B for example). I was trained by Dr. D'adamo during my naturopathic training. I wish I had the good fortune to be introduced to Ray earlier in my training and career. My entire art and practice has evolved since reading his articles and integrating his energetic concepts to modern naturopathic practice. Ray Peat is truly the most Naturopathic Doctor on the planet. Full stop.
Cheers.
Wow I am impressed you know D’Adamo personally! I am gonna pay closer attention to things you post! What blood type are you?

drjdmccoy

Wow I am impressed you know D’Adamo personally! I am gonna pay closer attention to things you post! What blood type are you?
I’m blood type B. Funny thing is my study group in school was a group of 4: me (white, Canadian), 2 women (one white, canadian, the other East Indian decent) and an Irish born American male……all of us turned out to be blood type B. Crazy odds based on our heritage. We are still a tight group 20 years later (crazy when I type that…. 20 years). I had met and was taught by both James and Peter (James D’adamo wrote: one man’s food is another man’s poison). Much of Peter’s work on Eat right (which is almost archaic compared to the genotypic work he is currently doing with one of six basic Epigenotypes: The Hunter, Gatherer, Teacher, Explorer, Warrior and Nomad types, which is combined with blood type and other highly individual measurements) found origins in his father‘s work which was largely observational. In the 60’s and 70’s vegetarianism was the rage and was a central focus to most practicing ”natural” medicine. Problem was some patients thrived and generally improved health as a vegetarian, while others did not (and often health parameters worsened). Type A’s generally do better on a more vegetarian diet. Dr. James D’adamo noticed that correlation and started looking more closely at it. Many cancers and broad tendencies in chronic diseases do have correlations to blood type (many studies support that, a simple pubmed search provides data, but it is not robust), but I would say it is absolutely secondary to energetic metabolism and the “energetic state” of the organism as Ray describes so eloquently.

I don’t really post. It’s more of a time issue for me. I’m always amazed with the time and thoughtfulness that goes into the posts on the forum. I only posted because I thought I had some different insight (I have been practicing for over 20 years) and I have enjoyed your posts. I’ll try and carve out some time here and there to post something thoughtful or different.
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’m blood type B. Funny thing is my study group in school was a group of 4: me (white, Canadian), 2 women (one white, canadian, the other East Indian decent) and an Irish born American male……all of us turned out to be blood type B. Crazy odds based on our heritage. We are still a tight group 20 years later (crazy when I type that…. 20 years). I had met and was taught by both James and Peter (James D’adamo wrote: one man’s food is another man’s poison). Much of Peter’s work on Eat right (which is almost archaic compared to the genotypic work he is currently doing with one of six basic Epigenotypes: The Hunter, Gatherer, Teacher, Explorer, Warrior and Nomad types, which is combined with blood type and other highly individual measurements) found origins in his father‘s work which was largely observational. In the 60’s and 70’s vegetarianism was the rage and was a central focus to most practicing ”natural” medicine. Problem was some patients thrived and generally improved health as a vegetarian, while others did not (and often health parameters worsened). Type A’s generally do better on a more vegetarian diet. Dr. James D’adamo noticed that correlation and started looking more closely at it. Many cancers and broad tendencies in chronic diseases do have correlations to blood type (many studies support that, a simple pubmed search provides data, but it is not robust), but I would say it is absolutely secondary to energetic metabolism and the “energetic state” of the organism as Ray describes so eloquently.

I don’t really post. It’s more of a time issue for me. I’m always amazed with the time and thoughtfulness that goes into the posts on the forum. I only posted because I thought I had some different insight (I have been practicing for over 20 years) and I have enjoyed your posts. I’ll try and carve out some time here and there to post something thoughtful or different.
Cheers

“The Hunter, Gatherer, Teacher, Explorer, Warrior and Nomad types,” I wonder what makes up the differences in those types and what category I would fall to? I am glad D’Adamo is furthering his work because The Blood Type Diet was the first diet that worked that profoundly for me. “One man’s food is another man’s poison” is exactly to the point of the Blood Type Diet.

bavy

I don’t have pain anymore so I can subscribe more to the Ray Peat’s protocol now. When I learned about the blood type diet from our chiropractor who also promoted holistic approaches, 12 years ago, I had bad foot pain and had some weight to lose, and I discovered I was heavy on all the foods that were toxic to my blood type. So I cut them ALL out and within days my tremendous foot pain went away. Now that I am healthy I eat oranges, milk and eggs, but that is it, I don’t eat any of the other toxic foods my blood type says to avoid. So I think some lectins our bodies can handle, especially if they are worth it. With so many people being on a Ray Peat protocol, and that definition being so broad, it leaves room to customize their diet, and I think it is wise for those who are still dealing with pain, weight and other issues to look into what foods their blood type reacts to so they can get somewhere with their health like I have.
Great news! Happy to hear you can enjoy oranges, eggs and dairy again. I will definitely be working towards this. Some of Ray’s suggestions really mess me up but this gives me hope to keep pushing and learning what else is out there. Thanks for the info ♥️

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Great news! Happy to hear you can enjoy oranges, eggs and dairy again. I will definitely be working towards this. Some of Ray’s suggestions really mess me up but this gives me hope to keep pushing and learning what else is out there. Thanks for the info ♥️
That is why I chose “Rinse & rePeat” as my handle. If it doesn’t work at first, rethink it and try it again differently, like a puzzle :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Type AB- is the rarest of all the blood types, with just 1% of the population having it. AB- donors are the universal plasma and platelet donor, meaning any patient can receive their plasma and platelets.

Quick Facts

Just 1% of the United States population is AB-.

Only patients with AB positive or negative can receive AB- red cells.

AB plasma can be used for any patient but is especially needed for emergencies, for babies, and for those with weakened immune systems.

Preferred donation methods: plasma and platelet.

Anyone can receive AB- plasma and platelets!

Type AB- can receive negative types A, AB, B and O which is only 18% of the population.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was on Google headlines today…..

“Knowing your blood type not only can be crucial when in an emergency, but it can also offer some important insight into your health. Ongoing research into blood type suggests it may matter more than we give it credit for -- at least when assessing risk for certain health conditions, especially heart disease. These invisible differences in the blood may give some people an edge at staving off cardiovascular problems, and may leave others more susceptible.”

“But why are there different blood types? Researchers don't fully know, but factors such as where someone's ancestors are from and past infections which spurred protective mutations in the blood may have contributed to the diversity, according to Dr. Douglas Guggenheim, a hematologist with Penn Medicine. People with type O blood may get sicker with cholera, for example, while people with type A or B blood may be more likely to experience blood clotting issues. While our blood can't keep up with the different biological or viral threats going around in real time, it may reflect what's happened in the past.

"In short, it's almost like the body has evolved around its environment in order to protect it as best as possible," Guggenheim said.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“People with type O blood enjoy a slightly lower risk of heart disease and blood clotting, but they may be more susceptible to hemorrhaging or bleeding disorders. This may be especially true after childbirth, according to a study on postpartum blood loss, which found an increased risk in women with type O blood.

People with type O blood may also fare worse after a traumatic injury due to increased blood loss, according to a study published in Critical Care.“

My doctor said I would have died in childbirth a hundred years ago, because he had so much trouble stopping my bleeding after I bore my first son. I am an “O” blood type and if I get a cut it will on and off bleed for days. It is really important for me to get vitamin k, but also to avoid blood thinning substances like ginger, turmeric and too much alcohol and vitamin E.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals