Is This How You Can Cure Type 2 Diabetes The Ray Peat Way?

welshwing

I know a man who has type 2 diabetes at age 50+. I know he got it from eating junk food (chicken nuggets, hotdogs, cheese burgers, bacon, sausages, fast food, lots of oil...). But he was convinced that "sugar is your enemy, fat is your friend" by his doctor because eating sugar raises blood glucose/sugar and eating fat doesn't. From that he concluded that drinking a lot of coke caused type 2, not eating a lot of fatty food throughout his life.

Even though sugar doesn't cause diabetes he's already diabetic, so eating too much sugar raises blood glucose. Would it be smart to feed him sugary foods little by little and continuously upping the sugar intake while lowering the fat/junk food intake? Here is a sample of what I mean:

day 1: glass of low fat milk and a fruit or a potato (or however much the diabetic can tolerate at first)
day 2: 2 glasses of low fat milk and a fruit or a potato
And this would continue until he lost visceral & subcutaneous fat and also stopped consuming fatty junk food. This would eventually cure his diabetes.

This person eats sugar daily. He just doesn't eat a lot because it raises blood glucose, which is the reason doctors say to avoid sugar. The bulk of his diet consists of anything except sugar. It is detrimental to eat like this long-term because he's just eating more of what made him diabetic.

So is this the best Ray Peat way to cure type 2 diabetes in people aged 50+ who got it from consuming lots of fatty food?

To convince him all I need to do is show him this quote from American Diabetes Association:

Of note, there is little evidence that total carbohydrate intake is associated with the development of type 2 diabetes (30,70,73,74). Rather, a stronger association has been observed between total fat and saturated fat intake and type 2 diabetes (75,76), although not all findings are in agreement (30). Additionally, two prospective cohort studies have shown no risk of diabetes from consuming increased amounts of sugar (74,77), and in one study, a negative association was observed between sucrose intake and diabetes risk (72). Intakes of both whole grains (72,78) and dietary fiber (in particular, cereal fiber) are associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes (30,70–72).

(statement that contradicts everything taught by orthodox medecine for the past 150 years)

In other words, would it work to simply lower his fatty food intake and introduce sugar slowly?

Kasper

In other words, would it work to simply lower his fatty food intake and introduce sugar slowly?

I don't know about that, I think Ray Peat has written that b-vitamins are very helpful, I haven't seen any claims that just starting a Ray Peat inspired diet will magically cure diabetic, but you could try :)

I have a friend at age 60+, I gave him a bottle of energin from idealabs: IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery
Ray Peat has written a lot that b-vitamins help with diabetes.

Haidut showed a study that biotin in dosage of 15-20 mg alone also help with diabetes. So I gave him this as well:
Buy Bulk Biotin Powder (1%) | Vitamin B7, Vitamin H

He is a very stressed human being, so I also gave him taurine (powder) and theanine (capsules), also from pure bulk.

This week he is measuring his blood sugar without all this supplements, and next week he will continue measuring and adding the supplements. He will just keep eating his normal regular dutch diet.

tara

I suspect it may not be possible to be completely sure how much recovery is possible, or exactly what will work. I'm no expert and couldn't interpret the numbers, but I imagine it would be relevant how much insulin he is currently producing compared with normal, and whether he is physically solid or frail, how depressed his metabolism is.

Peat has mentioned hot water extract of brewers yeast as being helpful against diabetes.
Also ensuring any sugar comes in a form that also has relevant minerals for it's metabolism, eg potassium.
Any significant amount of fat in diet can impede oxidation of sugar.
Since PUFA excess is a likely contributor to the problem, then vit-E may be helpful.

If he is large and muscled, he may be able to afford an attempt at radically reducing fat intake while eating enough fruit and leanish protein and and maybe potatoes to sustain blood sugar but not shoot it into the stratosphere. This could turn out to be a pretty low calorie diet for a while, so if he is already thin/frail from either undereating or because diabetes has been wasting him, then I don't know if he could afford this experiment.

I guess you've read the articles on Peat's site about sugar and diabetes?

Many users on this forum say things Ray Peat don't agree. Example: "I haven't seen any claims that just starting a Ray Peat inspired diet will magically cure diabetic, but you could try". Ray peat clearly recommend sugar, yet it does cure diabetes. If y'all forgot Ray Peat has a website, here it is: Ray Peat

lvysaur

Would it be smart to feed him sugary foods little by little and continuously upping the sugar intake while lowering the fat/junk food intake?

I think the smart thing would be to use coconut fat and reduce serotonergic meats while administering things that are proven to increase insulin sensitivity (K, walking, antibiotic foods, etc.) and then upping sugar.

It's probably harder to heal at a certain age, but I reversed my health, hair loss, and blood sugar situation in under a week.

marcar72

From what I understand adequate B vitamins, magnesium, and taurine would be top of the line defense against diabetes. Also avoiding PUFA of course....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals