Blood sugar, rice cakes...

scarlettsmum

So I have finally contacted Benedicte from Biochem Nordic to do something about my messed up metabolism. Turns out I have enlarged thyroid, including low temps of 35 C before eating and mainly poor blood sugar regulation. I was advised to not eat cereal type starches (potatoes and root veg and rice cakes are OK). I was just wondering why I crave especially rice cakes since other cereal type foods are out? Nothing satisfies my hunger/calms down my blood sugar like DRY starch appropriately combined with protein and fructose. Anyone of the same experience? I am curious if it is to do with cultural conditioning (and it's all in my head) having to have part of diet starch based or if it is the need for dry starch since everything else is so liquid? Tried parmesan which is dry, ice-cream, certainly dense compared to plain milk, but nothing satisfy my hunger like plain rice cake.

If you like rice cakes then eat them. Trust your instincts. Many women do well eating high starch. Benedict needs to check out Hannah: https://www.instagram.com/highcarbhannah/

It makes no sense to say that roots are okay but rice cakes are not. Rice cakes are not made from flour but an optimal metabolism can handle flour down the road as well.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Sorry Westside Pufas, I think I didn't explain it well in my post. Benedicte DID recommend rice cakes alongside starchy veggies. She told me ONLY to avoid cereal type things like bread, flour, etc. Rice cakes are ok. I now edited the initial post so that it makes more sense. :) I was just wondering why I crave dry starch so much and absolutely rely on the rice cakes. Initially I thought that I could do without starch, but it surprised me that I couldn't eat like that without the rice cakes. Just curious to understand as to why? And no, I don't normally like rice cakes, when I eat bready things:)

scarlettsmum said:
post 118946 She told me ONLY to avoid cereal type things like bread, flour, etc.

Flour products are in their own category and are rarely consumed without pufa oil. I found that I was able to use flour products like bread and pasta only after losing lots of body fat and being consistent with diet and walking. Now I can eat them just fine and they are a great source of energy. There are dry cereals that are similar to rice cakes in that they are "puffed." Check these out and try to find brands that are near you, only one ingredient:

15y6xiv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
scarlettsmum said:
post 118929 I was advised to not eat cereal type starches (potatoes and root veg and rice cakes are OK). I was just wondering why I crave especially rice cakes since other cereal type foods are out?
I think it's possibly because they are dry. I didn't tolerate liquids as well early on.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Westside PUFAs said:
post 118951
scarlettsmum said:
post 118946 She told me ONLY to avoid cereal type things like bread, flour, etc.

Flour products are in their own category and are rarely consumed without pufa oil. I found that I was able to use flour products like bread and pasta only after losing lots of body fat and being consistent with diet and walking. Now I can eat them just fine and they are a great source of energy. There are dry cereals that are similar to rice cakes in that they are "puffed." Check these out and try to find brands that are near you, only one ingredient:

15y6xiv.jpg

I look forward to eating floury products again, this is only a temporary thing. I'll have to look into it. It would give me more variety, to have maybe some puffed rice cereal for breakfast.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Blossom said:
post 118964
scarlettsmum said:
post 118929 I was advised to not eat cereal type starches (potatoes and root veg and rice cakes are OK). I was just wondering why I crave especially rice cakes since other cereal type foods are out?
I think it's possibly because they are dry. I didn't tolerate liquids as well early on.

That's what I was thinking too, Blossom. There is only so much liquid one can drink. Benedicte suggested 1/2 l of OJ and 1/2 l of milk/day and I struggle to even drink that. So I am just guided by my needs pretty much.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
scarlettsmum said:
post 118969
That's what I was thinking too, Blossom. There is only so much liquid one can drink. Benedicte suggested 1/2 l of OJ and 1/2 l of milk/day and I struggle to even drink that. So I am just guided by my needs pretty much.
I'm not disagreeing with Benedicte and I know the 1/2 liter of OJ and milk daily works for a lot of people it just never did for me personally. I do have some of each everyday but I seem to do best with more solid foods. I just got my sense of thirst fully back within the last year though so my experience might be different than most. Bottom line in all of this I think is listening to our own bodies needs just like you are doing scarlettsmum. I've never tried going completely starch free either although I completely understand that it is helpful for many people. Good luck to you!

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Blossom said:
post 119015
scarlettsmum said:
post 118969
I'm not disagreeing with Benedicte and I know the 1/2 liter of OJ and milk daily works for a lot of people it just never did for me personally. I do have some of each everyday but I seem to do best with more solid foods. I just got my sense of thirst fully back within the last year though so my experience might be different than most. Bottom line in all of this I think is listening to our own bodies needs just like you are doing scarlettsmum. I've never tried going completely starch free either although I completely understand that it is helpful for many people. Good luck to you!

Thanks for your input, Blossom!

tara

Rice cakes with liver pate. Or butter and marmite or honey or jam. :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited: