Ray Peat & Blood Typing

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Find out how popular or rare your blood type is below...

AlaskaJono

I tried the A diet for about a month 20+ years ago... . It did not seem to make any difference in my health or fitness, so I dropped it. This was at the suggestion of a Naturopathic Doctor friend who had everyone in his care with serious issues to follow strictly for 6 months. (They all improved... I said to him it was because of the clear layout of foods from different categories that would enable peeps to make broader choices, as most meat eaters rarely think "legumes..."etc..,AND he was an excellent healer too btw).

My mother and brother kept to this diet from that time (at my suggestion) and are still doing well (on that diet) today. Both not on any meds. My mother is 85yo and she is not overweight, she never was.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I tried the A diet for about a month 20+ years ago... . It did not seem to make any difference in my health or fitness, so I dropped it. This was at the suggestion of a Naturopathic Doctor friend who had everyone in his care with serious issues to follow strictly for 6 months. (They all improved... I said to him it was because of the clear layout of foods from different categories that would enable peeps to make broader choices, as most meat eaters rarely think "legumes..."etc..,AND he was an excellent healer too btw).

My mother and brother kept to this diet from that time (at my suggestion) and are still doing well (on that diet) today. Both not on any meds. My mother is 85yo and she is not overweight, she never was.

There is definetly something to it. I wonder why it worked your mother and brother and not you. I think "0" Blood types fo better on the blood type diet than than the other blood types. I think that because it is more in line with Ray Peat than all the PUFA's that the blood types are allowed to eat, from more vegetables and grains.

I think I read somewhere that Dr. Peat was not on board with the blood type diet? nor does be support eating according to DNA variants but I could be wrong. I did a lot of blood type diet stuff a couple of years ago, a lot of it made sense but when I went further into it - and had my DNA variants looked at by a few sites, I started to understand much more. My opinion is that the blood type diet thing is sort of a generalization based on DNA and ancestry and while some of it is helpful and is good for beginners, there is nothing like knowing your actual DNA variants and using that in conjunction with Dr. Peat's work.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think I read somewhere that Dr. Peat was not on board with the blood type diet? nor does be support eating according to DNA variants but I could be wrong. I did a lot of blood type diet stuff a couple of years ago, a lot of it made sense but when I went further into it - and had my DNA variants looked at by a few sites, I started to understand much more. My opinion is that the blood type diet thing is sort of a generalization based on DNA and ancestry and while some of it is helpful and is good for beginners, there is nothing like knowing your actual DNA variants and using that in conjunction with Dr. Peat's work.

It helped my health tremendously curing pain in my feet and some arthritis that was settining into my fingers, but taking out dairy caused my teeth to suffer. I still adhere to it by avoiding most of the foods that I took out, but I added back in the coffee, orange juice and milk. It has been interesting to look at friends and family and see that their demise matched their blood type. I think it only addresses lectins, where Ray Peat addresses everything.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Conclusions: Participants with blood type B displayed the lowest mechanical pain sensitivity and the blood type AB group exhibited the strongest conditioned pain modulation effect.These findings emphasize the necessity of considering ABO blood types in future pain research.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“But why are there different blood types? Researchers don't fully know, but factors such as where someone's ancestors are from and past infections which spurred protective mutations in the blood may have contributed to the diversity, according to Dr. Douglas Guggenheim, a hematologist with Penn Medicine. People with type O blood may get sicker with cholera, for example, while people with type A or B blood may be more likely to experience blood clotting issues. While our blood can't keep up with the different biological or viral threats going around in real time, it may reflect what's happened in the past.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Evidence shows that Type O individuals may be more likely to develop peptic ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori bacterium than other blood types, and that type O women may have more risk of fertility problems, with greater risk of having lower egg count and poorer egg quality than women who are type A, B or AB. Type O people have also been shown to be more susceptible to cholera and norovirus, a serious, sometimes lethal virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea, and type O men may be more prone to obesity than men of other blood types. On the other hand, type Os are less susceptible to severe malaria than all other blood types.”

Attachments

• 5DF5B02E-529D-4FA8-9B8D-BC83D99C570C.jpeg
    5DF5B02E-529D-4FA8-9B8D-BC83D99C570C.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 14

snappy99

This short article is REALLY interesting!

For 0 blood types, “Mosquitos are highly attracted to you”

It helped my health tremendously curing pain in my feet and some arthritis that was settining into my fingers, but taking out dairy caused my teeth to suffer. I still adhere to it by avoiding most of the foods that I took out, but I added back in the coffee, orange juice and milk. It has been interesting to look at friends and family and see that their demise matched their blood type. I think it only addresses lectins, where Ray Peat addresses everything.
Rinse & Repeat, I saw you mentioned your husband is a blood type A. Did he try the blood type diet, and if so did he do better on that or the Peat diet? The type A diet looks so totally opposed to Peat principles that I simply cannot see how someone could do both. You might be able to make it moderately low pufa by only using olive oil but it would still be mostly grains, soy, greens and other above-ground veggies. Meanwhile, oranges, coconut oil, beef, shellfish, potatoes, butter, cows milk, most cheeses, etc are all ”no no” items. I’m curious about your husband’s experience being an A type.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & Repeat, I saw you mentioned your husband is a blood type A. Did he try the blood type diet, and if so did he do better on that or the Peat diet? The type A diet looks so totally opposed to Peat principles that I simply cannot see how someone could do both. You might be able to make it moderately low pufa by only using olive oil but it would still be mostly grains, soy, greens and other above-ground veggies. Meanwhile, oranges, coconut oil, beef, shellfish, potatoes, butter, cows milk, most cheeses, etc are all ”no no” items. I’m curious about your husband’s experience being an A type.
He did not go on the Blood Type diet. Back then, he was adamnant to eat whatever he wanted and didn’t want to be troubled, but that was 12 years ago. Knowing what I know now from Ray Peat it certainly explains why many vegetarians, don’t age well while some do. My husband loved meat, but didn’t digest it as well as me, being an 0 blood type. He also loved vegetable and fruit while I did not.

ursidae

blood type A diet is not really vegetarian, it's vegan, with some very occasional high PUFA fish. I don't see how a predominantly vegan diet is suitable for anyone, whether they be child or adult. Everyone needs bioavailable zinc, everyone needs iron (especially women in child bearing age), everyone needs B6 and choline. The only people praising the blood type diet and insisting others do it are blood type O, for whom the recommendations are for a very well rounded and nutritionally adequate diet with staples such as meat, tubers and tropical fruit.

Last edited:

snappy99

He did not go on the Blood Type diet. Back then, he was adamnant to eat whatever he wanted and didn’t want to be troubled, but that was 12 years ago. Knowing what I know now from Ray Peat it certainly explains why many vegetarians, don’t age well while some do. My husband loved meat, but didn’t digest it as well as me, being an 0 blood type. He also loved vegetable and fruit while I did not.
That’s interesting, thanks. It sounds like you both mostly eat the same now? Does he eat more dairy thank you, or does he now do better with meat? I’m new to this forum so forgive me if you’ve already explained all of this elsewhere!

I’m in the process of trying to access my health records from when I was blood type tested but I recall being type A or AB, I can’t remember. But either way, I have always known that I do well with veggies and cheese. I’ve never noticed an issue with grains either. I do eat meat because I feel I get a bit malnourished without some but I don’t do well with a lot for sure. Trying to piece all of this together and incorporate Peat’s wisdom. Adding sugar and fruit has been hugely beneficial as I was not eating much before.

snappy99

blood type A diet is not really vegetarian, it's vegan, with some very occasional high PUFA fish. I don't see how a predominantly vegan diet is suitable for anyone, whether they be child or adult. Everyone needs bioavailable zinc, everyone needs iron (especially women in child bearing age), everyone needs B6 and choline. The only people praising the blood type diet and insisting others do it are blood type O, for whom the recommendations are for a very well rounded and nutritionally adequate diet with staples such as meat, tubers and tropical fruit.
Yes the type A diet is surprising for sure. I imagine it might be easier if you live in Japan. Rice, soba noodles, fish, veggies green tea, etc.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That’s interesting, thanks. It sounds like you both mostly eat the same now? Does he eat more dairy thank you, or does he now do better with meat? I’m new to this forum so forgive me if you’ve already explained all of this elsewhere!

I’m in the process of trying to access my health records from when I was blood type tested but I recall being type A or AB, I can’t remember. But either way, I have always known that I do well with veggies and cheese. I’ve never noticed an issue with grains either. I do eat meat because I feel I get a bit malnourished without some but I don’t do well with a lot for sure. Trying to piece all of this together and incorporate Peat’s wisdom. Adding sugar and fruit has been hugely beneficial as I was not eating much before.

Everyone in my house “Peats” by default, because I am the cook. We don’t eat much meat, just occasional pastured wings and beef maybe twice a month. We are heavy mostly on grass fed dairy, bone broth and gelatin, fruit/juices and corn and soy free eggs.

snappy99

Everyone in my house “Peats” by default, because I am the cook. We don’t eat much meat, just occasional pastured wings and beef maybe twice a month. We are heavy mostly on grass fed dairy, bone broth and gelatin, fruit/juices and corn and soy free eggs.
Thanks, Rinse. I also just read last night in another thread what happened earlier this year. I am so sorry, and also very sorry for what probably seemed like some very insensitive questions for me to be asking. I did not realize, and thank you for your graceful responses. Praying for blessings on your family.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks, Rinse. I also just read last night in another thread what happened earlier this year. I am so sorry, and also very sorry for what probably seemed like some very insensitive questions for me to be asking. I did not realize, and thank you for your graceful responses. Praying for blessings on your family.
Oh no that’s ok, I didn’t feel uncomfortable or think your question was insensitive, I just did’t want to throw you off throwing in his situation. I am an open book, ask anything :)

snappy99

Oh no that’s ok, I didn’t feel uncomfortable or think your question was insensitive, I just did’t want to throw you off throwing in his situation. I am an open book, ask anything :)
Oh good, thanks so much. I’m glad to hear that and thanks very much for your helpfulness.

I was mainly just trying to learn if there’s been any real success from the blood type A diet, and conversely if blood type As do well on the Peat diet (maybe we handle starch and grains better than others). So much to learn and figure out!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh good, thanks so much. I’m glad to hear that and thanks very much for your helpfulness.

I was mainly just trying to learn if there’s been any real success from the blood type A diet, and conversely if blood type As do well on the Peat diet (maybe we handle starch and grains better than others). So much to learn and figure out!
Further learning after the blood type diet about PUFA’a and grains I don’t think they are better for anybody, as Ray Peat has gone so far as to say thats grains are “poor people food”, “famine food” and “not optimal”. I don’t think any of those statements are untrue. “A” type blood has poorer digestion so I think grains won’t be more digestible for them than to 0 types. The blood type diet is more about how the body/blood goes into attack mode with different foods, creating lectins which cause fatigue, aches and pain and inflammation and if a person continues to eat those toxic foods they eventually get the diseases they are predisposed to get. After reading the book “Wheat Belly” l was really convinced that there is no good health that comes from eating starches. There is definetly vitamins and minerals to be had, and no denying they are satiating, but they cause more negatives than positives and are not “optimal”. I am an 0 blood type and have done very well on the Ray Peat dieting eating mostly dairy and lots of sugar sources. The blood type diet does not address calcium and blood sugar issues, really just the lectins. It cured aches and pains, but my teeth were suffering from plenty of black beans and no calcium/dairy sources, except for some occasional mozzarella and goat cheese. The blood type was a necessary piece of a puzzle in getting my heath to where I am at now, unlike the keto and other diets that I tried.