Ray Peat & Blood Typing

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“People with type O blood will gain weight if they eat kidney beans, navy beans, or lentils. Because type O individuals are supposedly descended from ancient hunter-gatherers whose diet consisted primarily of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, eggs, seeds, and nuts, cultivated produce such as beans is allegedly bad for those with type O blood, according to diet proponents. Kidney and navy beans will interfere with their ability to burn calories, so we advise you to avoid this kind of food and live healthy as much as you can.”

Dutchie

“People with type O blood will gain weight if they eat kidney beans, navy beans, or lentils. Because type O individuals are supposedly descended from ancient hunter-gatherers whose diet consisted primarily of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, eggs, seeds, and nuts, cultivated produce such as beans is allegedly bad for those with type O blood, according to diet proponents. Kidney and navy beans will interfere with their ability to burn calories, so we advise you to avoid this kind of food and live healthy as much as you can.”

I'm a type O and the big ones (grains,legumes,cow dairy...still not sure if that means for all dairy for me) on the avoid list, ring true for me in terms of inflammation and causing leaky gut.
However, I think it's 'easier' to identify such larger food groups as being harmful to a certain type.
It's the more specific foods where it gets trickier.
When you look at an O's avoid foodlist, you see that a lot of Peat staples are to be avoided for supposed good health: dairy, oranges, potatoes, high amounts of fruit, coconut oil and coconut products.

That's why I don't think it would be completely compatible with a Peat framework. I tend to think Keto or Carnivore could be easier modified to it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm a type O and the big ones (grains,legumes,cow dairy...still not sure if that means for all dairy for me) on the avoid list, ring true for me in terms of inflammation and causing leaky gut.
However, I think it's 'easier' to identify such larger food groups as being harmful to a certain type.
It's the more specific foods where it gets trickier.
When you look at an O's avoid foodlist, you see that a lot of Peat staples are to be avoided for supposed good health: dairy, oranges, potatoes, high amounts of fruit, coconut oil and coconut products.

That's why I don't think it would be completely compatible with a Peat framework. I tend to think Keto or Carnivore could be easier modified to it.
I have done keto and it was a miserable few months for me, with a lot of leg pain at night from lack of carbs. I don’t put stock into cutting out major food groups. Though haven’t ever done well with pasteurized milk, I thrive on the raw milk. I figured the testing for the blood type diet was probably done with the pasteurized milk and not the raw, cause I thrive on the raw. The pasteurized bloated me and often times made me throw up. I couldn’t do all the oranges on the Ray Peat protocol either because when I was heavy into oranges I would get foot pain, so I just have a couple and have the peels too and I am good. Though I looked and felt fantastic the year I was strict on the blood type diet my teeth were getting transparent from the lack of calcium. I am grateful that it cleared up my health issues, but there definitely was something needed and Ray Peat was it. All the meat and fat being on keto disgusts me now thinking about it, way too much tryptophan and iron, my skin would be liver spot and wrinkle ridden, my hair pure gray and my teeth still transparent, if I had kept that keto up this past decade.

Dutchie

I have done keto and it was a miserable few months for me, with a lot of leg pain at night from lack of carbs. I don’t put stock into cutting out major food groups. Though haven’t ever done well with pasteurized milk, I thrive on the raw milk. I figured the testing for the blood type diet was probably done with the pasteurized milk and not the raw, cause I thrive on the raw. The pasteurized bloated me and often times made me throw up. I couldn’t do all the oranges on the Ray Peat protocol either because when I was heavy into oranges I would get foot pain, so I just have a couple and have the peels too and I am good. Though I looked and felt fantastic the year I was strict on the blood type diet my teeth were getting transparent from the lack of calcium. I am grateful that it cleared up my health issues, but there definitely was something needed and Ray Peat was it. All the meat and fat being on keto disgusts me now thinking about it, way too much tryptophan and iron, my skin would be liver spot and wrinkle ridden, my hair pure gray and my teeth still transparent, if I had kept that keto up this past decade.

Lol....I love all the fatty meats and animal fats, especially now during these cold Winter days.
Cow dairy in general doesn't work for me, but pasteurised dairy seemed to sit better with me than raw when I tried it.
I suspect the raw dairy worsens my histamine issues.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Lol....I love all the fatty meats and animal fats, especially now during these cold Winter days.
Cow dairy in general doesn't work for me, but pasteurised dairy seemed to sit better with me than raw when I tried it.
I suspect the raw dairy worsens my histamine issues.
I think the pastured with all the rotting dead enzymes and bacteria would be higher in histamines, and it is debatable on the different histamine sites. Dead rotting and aged things create histamines, so a live food like raw uncooked milk would not be high in then. I dealt with histamine intolerance and pasteurized milk was terrible on me. Once a food is cooked is starts aging faster. This is why you can drink raw milk sour and not pasteurized, without getting sick.

I use to like fatty cuts of meat and mashed potatoes and gravy and the likes of such, but now that I eat less of it the less of it I want, and I feel much lighter, brighter and better for the change. Don’t get me wrong I can appreciate some fatty salty bites of meat once in awhile, like lamb chops with mint jelly or a great grass fed rib-eye steak, but it just doesn’t sound appealing most of the time.

Dutchie

It might be higher in histamines, but you can't control the bacteria in raw dairy (like is the case with fermented foods). Some of these bacteria can be histamine producers, which in the end will contribute to even more histamines.
So, I can see how a food with 'dead bacteria' can have a more 'favorable'/less negative effect in some cases.

Hmm, I think it also greatly depends where one lives (not to mention all the other factors....such as genetics and blood type dispositions. ;) ) . During warm Summer days I generally don't crave as much fat either.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It might be higher in histamines, but you can't control the bacteria in raw dairy (like is the case with fermented foods). Some of these bacteria can be histamine producers, which in the end will contribute to even more histamines.
So, I can see how a food with 'dead bacteria' can have a more 'favorable'/less negative effect in some cases.

Hmm, I think it also greatly depends where one lives (not to mention all the other factors....such as genetics and blood type dispositions. ;) ) . During warm Summer days I generally don't crave as much fat either.
California is an easier place to want to eat lighter more tropical fare, so good point there!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The researchers stressed that blood type is not a strong influence: On average, they found, people with type A blood had a 16% higher risk of having a stroke before age 60, versus people with other blood types. Meanwhile, type O blood was tied to a 12% decrease in the risk.“

“Why would blood type make a difference in stroke risk? Ischemic strokes — which account for most strokes — occur when a clot blocks blood flow to the brain. And it's known that non-O blood types have higher levels of certain proteins, called von Willebrand factor (VWF) and factor VIII, that contribute to clot formation.”

AlisonG

In my simplistic explaination:

The blood typing science is measuring lectins in the body that are created when individual foods are eaten and not welcome, much like the immune system's response to a virus. Lectins that accumulate, faster than they can be removed, settle throughout the body, especially joints, causing pain. The chronic inflammation eventually leads to worse situations such as cancer. Elimination of them, is like eleminating PUFA's, by not eating the offending foods anymore.

The speculation is that, in the beginning we were all "O" blood types, being mostly hunters and eating meat. Eventially some became "agrigarians", eating more of the animal's foods and growing crops, which evolved those people to acclimate, creating a new blood type "A" . Not sure about the science of that, but the Japanese sure are! Because "O" types are more primitive, their fight or flight response is still intact, unlike the more relaxed farmer "A" types, handling stress better. For that reason "O" types in Japan are chosen for the more stressful leadership and management positions. People in Japan even consider marriage partner's blood type for compatiability. I am an "O" and my husband is an "A" and absolutely everything has rang true, personality wise between us!

I started it 10+ years ago and it worked wonders, quickly curing my painful feet and the accelerating arthritis in my fingers, with neither to ever return again! It later cured my dad's excruciating rhematoid arthritis. For that reason, i still steer away from most of the "Toxic" foods for my "O" blood type and lean into the "Highly Beneficial" ones that Ray Peat would agree on. It sometimes makes me wonder if it plays any part as to why some people don't tolerate dairy and orange juice as well as others. I am drinking them both without pain! Just like there are many factors for why someone is healthy and an another is not, the lectins are nevertheless an issue. Knowing both sides VERY well, Ray's advice to eliminate the PUFA's, stop the "breathless exercise" and give the animals back their food is gonna make us live longer and slow down the aging process which is mighty important. Being on the blood type diet for several years, before "Peat", and avoiding the dairy, eventually created new issues for me, as does every well intended diet, but the pain problems i had have never came back. I will always be a subscriber to the blood type diet, but to a lesser degree, to keep those lectin's down. Ray Peat's protocol is far superior and gets to the root of problems, not just one branch. People in pain might do themselves some good though to see what "Toxic" food they could remove that aren't conflictive with Ray Peat's advice. For my "O" blood type I stay away from melons (except watermelon), cruciferous vegetables, calamari, smoked salmon, pork, wheat and many other grains, green tea, and more. I bought the book and read it through, more than once, but you can also check online to see which foods are recommended to avoid. If you don't know your blood type, there are cheap test kits online that can find out your blood type in a matter of minutes.

I appreciate this post and thread! I'm so glad Rinse that you have found a way to do well combining the two diets. I am type O, as well, and have been Peating for over a year - and though I have experienced a warmer, more energetic body and better sleep - I had really hoped to see improvement in my IBS, SIBO and Sjogren's Syndrome. However, to be fair, the one way I haven't fully gone Peatarian is that I haven't quit breads and starches.
I read the blood type book recently and have been thinking of trying it. However, I really wish I knew how Adamo decided which foods would be on each type's list - something he fails to fully elaborate on. He mentions oranges and strawberries are on the "avoid" list for O's because of their acidity (O's are suppose to have high stomach acid) but since I'm taking HCL supplements these days, I don't believe too much acidity is my problem. Can I rescue oranges from the "avoid" list, then? Which others might I rescue if I knew how they got there? I considered perhaps he used allergy testing data and correlated it with blood type to form the lists, but then he commented that even if you don't have a positive allergy test result to a particular food, if it's on the "avoid" list, you shouldn't eat it, as if the key to the logic lay elsewhere. If anyone knows, please share!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I appreciate this post and thread! I'm so glad Rinse that you have found a way to do well combining the two diets. I am type O, as well, and have been Peating for over a year - and though I have experienced a warmer, more energetic body and better sleep - I had really hoped to see improvement in my IBS, SIBO and Sjogren's Syndrome. However, to be fair, the one way I haven't fully gone Peatarian is that I haven't quit breads and starches.
I read the blood type book recently and have been thinking of trying it. However, I really wish I knew how Adamo decided which foods would be on each type's list - something he fails to fully elaborate on. He mentions oranges and strawberries are on the "avoid" list for O's because of their acidity (O's are suppose to have high stomach acid) but since I'm taking HCL supplements these days, I don't believe too much acidity is my problem. Can I rescue oranges from the "avoid" list, then? Which others might I rescue if I knew how they got there? I considered perhaps he used allergy testing data and correlated it with blood type to form the lists, but then he commented that even if you don't have a positive allergy test result to a particular food, if it's on the "avoid" list, you shouldn't eat it, as if the key to the logic lay elsewhere. If anyone knows, please share!
Hi Allison!
The food lists are mostly determined on how the blood reacts to the food, and how many many lectin congregate. Other foods are chosen by the stereotypical problems that each blood type has, especially the low stomach acids of the A blood types, and high acids in the O blood types, as you mentioned. i am an O blood type and don’t have any issues with acid reflux, so things like fresh sweet oranges don’t bother me, but I have access to sweet ones. I don’t know how I would weather through the store bought pasteurized orange juice everyday and all day. I do much better on raw milk too, than the pasteurized, which made me wondered if they ever tested raw milk and were the oranges sweet ones when they tested? Those two things are the difference between a slightly green banana and a brown sugary one. This is why I have thought for myself on some foods, so that I can have a nice balance between the two diets.

AlisonG

Hi Allison!
The food lists are mostly determined on how the blood reacts to the food, and how many many lectin congregate. Other foods are chosen by the stereotypical problems that each blood type has, especially the low stomach acids of the A blood types, and high acids in the O blood types, as you mentioned. i am an O blood type and don’t have any issues with acid reflux, so things like fresh sweet oranges don’t bother me, but I have access to sweet ones. I don’t know how I would weather through the store bought pasteurized orange juice everyday and all day. I do much better on raw milk too, than the pasteurized, which made me wondered if they ever tested raw milk and were the oranges sweet ones when they tested? Those two things are the difference between a slightly green banana and a brown sugary one. This is why I have thought for myself on some foods, so that I can have a nice balance between the two diets.
Thanks, Rinse. That makes sense. And I'm so glad you are able to drink OJ and the raw milk. What about Coffee?? I think that one is about acidity, as well.
If I could ever get well enough to be able to determine then through trial and error which foods are problems, that would be so great! Maybe I should go strict for a while.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks, Rinse. That makes sense. And I'm so glad you are able to drink OJ and the raw milk. What about Coffee?? I think that one is about acidity, as well.
If I could ever get well enough to be able to determine then through trial and error which foods are problems, that would be so great! Maybe I should go strict for a while.
I drink coffee fine too. I have no acidly problems. I buy organic coffee. The things that caused me digestive issues in the past, before RP was pasteurized milk, fluoride in the water, things fried in vegetable oils, and corn and soy fed chicken and their eggs.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“What are Lectin and Aquaporin Sensitivities?
Lectin and aquaporin sensitivities are your body’s delayed immune response that can occur hours to days after these foods are consumed.

Symptoms associated with lectin and aquaporin food sensitivities include:

Bloating, gas, and abdominal cramps
Painful and swollen joints
Fatigue and tiredness
Skin rashes
Hormonal fluctuations
Nausea
Allergy like symptoms
Neurological symptoms
Risk factors that may place you at higher risk for lectin or aquaporin sensitivities include:

Frequent use of antibiotics
Following a vegan/vegetarian diet
Leaky gut syndrome
Family history of autoimmune disorders
Mental health problems
Imbalances in the gut/ immune system
Following a vegan/vegetarian diet high in grains and/or legumes
Those with known intestinal permeability, such as detected on the Vibrant Wheat Zoomer
History of rheumatoid arthritis (painful and swollen joints)
Experiencing fatigue and tiredness
Psychological symptoms or disorders (e.g., depression)
Neurological autoimmunity or degenerative symptoms of undefined origin
Presence of skin rashes
Nausea (especially during or after meals)

@Advocate2021

@LizRey86

@Kray

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the most nutritionally important features of plant lectins is their ability to survive digestion by the gastrointestinal tract, which means they can penetrate cells lining the digestive tract and cause a loss of gut epithelial cells, damage the membranes of the epithelium lining, interfere with nutrient digestion and absorption, stimulate shifts in the bacterial flora, and trigger autoimmune reactions. (4)

Lectins can cause GI upset similar to classical food poisoning and immune responses like joint pain and rashes. Improperly prepared raw grains, dairy and legumes like peanuts, and soybeans have especially high lectin levels.”

AlaskaJono

“One of the most nutritionally important features of plant lectins is their ability to survive digestion by the gastrointestinal tract, which means they can penetrate cells lining the digestive tract and cause a loss of gut epithelial cells, damage the membranes of the epithelium lining, interfere with nutrient digestion and absorption, stimulate shifts in the bacterial flora, and trigger autoimmune reactions. (4)

Lectins can cause GI upset similar to classical food poisoning and immune responses like joint pain and rashes. Improperly prepared raw grains, dairy and legumes like peanuts, and soybeans have especially high lectin levels.”

thanks Rinse- I had heard years ago that 'leftovers' contain more lectins. Any info on that front?
I used to consume leftovers more frequently, and have dropped that way down in the last decade. Soups/Stews/Roasts w veggies we consume over 2 days, so no worries there.

Also I was wondering about the untold (negative) effects of GMO wheat/corn/soy etc. , and how most people who consume vast amounts of that ALSO consume other crap foods like toxic oils (not just pufa oils, but cottonseed oils, palm oils etc.) so it would be hard to identify exactly which food causes them inflammation/health issues etc. . I wonder too if the GMO varieties are extremely high in Lectins?

I just found this on a search:

🌐
Is GMO Wheat Increasing Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity?

verywellhealth.com› is-gmo-wheat-causing-increases-in-gluten-issues-562530

Celiac disease is on the rise, and non-celiac gluten sensitivity may be also. But genetically modified wheat can't be to blame. Learn more.

So it CAN'T be to blame, eh? Show me the stats interlie system!
Ciao for now

OP
Rinse & rePeat
thanks Rinse- I had heard years ago that 'leftovers' contain more lectins. Any info on that front?
I used to consume leftovers more frequently, and have dropped that way down in the last decade. Soups/Stews/Roasts w veggies we consume over 2 days, so no worries there.
Hi Jono! I had not heard lectins increase from age, only that histamines do, so I don’t eat leftovers much either. I usually freeze my leftovers. I won’t even buy meat in a grocery store, because I don’t know how long it has been sitting there, and if the same brand packaging is in the freezer section I won’t buy that either, because I know it got real old in the meat section so they saved it at the last minute by throwing it in the freezer, or worse they used it in the deli section to make stuffed peppers or meatloaf. That deli section is really a breeding ground of trouble. They have it to have a place to not have to waste their investment. They use near spoiled products to make meals and then leave them out all day, warming.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Also I was wondering about the untold (negative) effects of GMO wheat/corn/soy etc. , and how most people who consume vast amounts of that ALSO consume other crap foods like toxic oils (not just pufa oils, but cottonseed oils, palm oils etc.) so it would be hard to identify exactly which food causes them inflammation/health issues etc. be to blame, eh?
“Even cotton has been genetically modified to increase yield and resistance to disease. Most concern relates to the cotton oil. Cotton originating from India, and China, in particular, is considered higher risk for personal health.”

“Half of the US farms growing corn to sell to the conglomerate, Monsanto, are growing GMO corn. Most of this corn is going to be used for human consumption. Genetically modified corn has been linked to health problems, including weight gain and organ disruption.”

“Genetically modified zucchini contains a toxic protein that helps make it more resistant to insects. This introduced insecticide, has recently been found in human blood, including that of pregnant women and fetuses. This indicates that some of the insecticide is making its way into our bodies rather than being broken down and excreted.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many food plants contain proteins that are usually referred to as lectins on the basis of their specific carbohydrate-binding properties. Some of these lectins protect the plant against predatory invertebrates and higher animals, and they may also be harmful to humans. Therefore, the presence of lectins in food plants and foodstuffs is an important issue in food science. Although the risks of acute toxicity are low, prolonged exposure to low levels of lectins may be harmful to human health.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I wonder too if the GMO varieties are extremely high in Lectins?

I just found this on a search:

🌐
Is GMO Wheat Increasing Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity?
verywellhealth.com› is-gmo-wheat-causing-increases-in-gluten-issues-562530

Celiac disease is on the rise, and non-celiac gluten sensitivity may be also. But genetically modified wheat can't be to blame. Learn more.

So it CAN'T be to blame, eh? Show me the stats interlie system!
Ciao for now
“With the rise of Roundup, farmers needed crops that could withstand the powerful weed killer.

GMO foods were created by injecting plants with foreign genes to make the plant more resistant to insects (by producing more lectins) and more resistant to Roundup, so that farmers could easily spray a whole field with Roundup and the crops would be unharmed.

However, farmers also commonly spray non-GMO crops with Roundup as a desiccant, in order to dry them out and make them easier to harvest—and the chemicals are never removed from the plants at any point between the field and your dinner table.

The Roundup-sprayed crops either end up in your grocery store or in corn and grain feed for livestock, meaning you’re ingesting Roundup from both GMO and non-GMO crops as well as the milk and meat you consume. This is one of the dangers of genetically modified foods

In addition, besides producing higher amounts of lectins to ward off insects, GMO plants produce new proteins that your body isn’t familiar with, so your immune system doesn’t know how to read the barcodes and attacks, causing inflammation.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals