Blood Types and the Peat Diet

VanillaBean

I was wondering if certain blood types do better on the Peat Diet. Are their any studies/articles discussing this? I've read that type O's do better with higher protein in their diets, whereas type A and B do better with more carbohydrates.

So, if you are a type O (which I am) would I do better being a peatetarian eating more protein than a type A or B?
Thoughts?

nikotrope

A lot of things about what d'adamo says with his blood type diet are wrong. But if blood type had an effect on nutrient sensibilities, then there are probably a lot of other things in our body that have effect on nutrient sensibilities. Focusing only on blood types is simplifying a complex mechanism, working only by chance.

XPlus

Do you think that basing dietary needs on blood type have any credible basis.

http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/

I'm type A. Looking at the list of recommendations for my blood type makes me nauseous.

Maybe I should keep an open mind.

OP
V

VanillaBean

XPlus said:

I'm type A. Looking at the list of recommendations for my blood type makes me nauseous.

As I mentioned, I am a type O and that link you provided said this:

"Type Os thrive on intense physical exercise and animal protein. Unlike the other blood types, Type Os muscle tissue should be slightly on the acid side. Type Os can efficiently digest and metabolize meat because they tend to have high stomach-acid content. The success of the Type O Diet depends on the use of lean, chemical-free meats, poultry, and fish. Type Os don't find dairy products and grains quite as user friendly as do most of the other blood types.

The initial weight loss on the Type O Diet is by restricting consumption of grains, breads, legumes, and beans. The leading factor in weight gain for Type Os is the gluten found in wheat germ and whole wheat products, which interferes with insulin efficiency and slow down metabolic rate. Another factor that contribute to weight gain is certain beans and legumes (lentils and kidney beans) contain lectins that deposit in the muscle tissues making them less "charged" for physical activity. The third factor in Type O weight gain is that Type Os have a tendency to have low levels of thyroid hormone or unstable thyroid functions, which also cause metabolic problems. Therefore it is good to avoid food that inhibits thyroid hormone (cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, mustard green) but increase hormone production (kelp, seafood, iodized salt).Several classes of vegetables can cause big problems for Type Os, such as the Brassica family (cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) can inhibit the thyroid function. Eat more vegetables that are high in vitamin K, which helps the clotting factor which is weak in Type Os. The nightshade vegetables can cause lectin deposit in the tissue surrounding the joints.

Because of the high acidity stomach, Type Os should eat fruits of alkaline nature such as berries and plums..Type Os should severely restrict the use of dairy products. Their system is not designed for the proper metabolism. If you are a Type O of African ancestry, you should eliminate dairy foods and eggs altogether."

This is interesting because it reflects a lot of what Peat has said to eat, diet wise. Except for the dairy. I do know I have a hypothyroidism.

XPlus

Yours maybe the most Peaty of the types.
However, I doubt that kelp, seafood and iodized salt support thyroid.

Do you have any health issues you're currently dealing with.

pboy

cows have many more blood types than humans and all eat grass and the same thing. Its quite obvious humans are frugivorous apes in anatomy....tho we potentially have higher iodine requirements. So rather than eat abundant ripe fruits and termites and flowers and tender shoots, we have to adjust cause we aren't living in the jungle. We are so far from home mentally also as a spiecies people have lost touch and ...tend to want to distort their bodies to our sick cultures image rather than what it naturally would be, like getting swoll and all that rather than being more like a gymnast in build and athleticism, or girls wanting to me either thinking plump is good or that being thin and running and having no level if strength is good. Either way, you just gotta figure out some kind of plan that works, try to approximate a natural diet in a pure way with what resources we do have

there is no exact peat diet, and even if there was, it wouldn't matter what blood type you are at all, all humans have the same anatomy and physiology, its a species thing

gretchen

I've experimented with D'Adamo's theories since 2001. I was dairy-free throughout the 90s. Beginning in the late 80s, I did a lot of exercise. I'm an O and would like to say his ideas are true, based on my many years of experience, but am not as sure since finding Peat. Higher protein for Os does definitely seem true, though since starting again with the milk I seem to look more bloated to people and am always hearing about it.

D'Adamo always says the O diet isn't paleo. Os aren't supposed to eat low carb. They "need" the calories from carbs to fuel their "high metabolism". Os have hypothyroid tendencies, and depending on genetics, shouldn't use dairy foods. He has a software program called SWAMI that tells you precisely what to eat after punching in tons of data like your leg length, MBTI type, whorls on your fingers, etc.

As for As, I've read mixed things. There are are a lot of them that think they're paleo types like Os, and are adamant that NO ONE should drink milk or eat grains. Based on my own observations, what I've read on the bt forums, as well as all over the Internet, they do quite well on variations of their bt friendly list(which is filled with dairy, poultry, vegetables, and various grains), can't run, can't digest meat, need to do a lot of yoga, etc. The personality descriptions of various blood types are dead-on. The Japanese have done a lot of research on this. The As and ABs I've known are quietly judge-y, always insinuating or downright stating that you should eat more like a vegetarian. In paleo circles it's not as clear since those groups are led and dominated by Os. Back in the 90s, before paleo hit, the As said blood type was true. But then after it went mainstream they all backtracked and jumped on the bandwagon. However, I have read that they do well on higher protein also, just not the same proteins as other types.

Ray Peat is likely a blood type O. I would guess he might be an Explorer genotype, using the D'Adamo descriptions:
http://www.genotypediet.com/explorer.shtml

OP
V

VanillaBean

gretchen said:
I've experimented with D'Adamo's theories since 2001. I was dairy-free throughout the 90s. Beginning in the late 80s, I did a lot of exercise. I'm an O and would like to say his ideas are true, based on my many years of experience, but am not as sure since finding Peat. Higher protein for Os does definitely seem true, though since starting again with the milk I seem to look more bloated to people and am always hearing about it.

D'Adamo always says the O diet isn't paleo. Os aren't supposed to eat low carb. They "need" the calories from carbs to fuel their "high metabolism". Os have hypothyroid tendencies, and depending on genetics, shouldn't use dairy foods. He has a software program called SWAMI that tells you precisely what to eat after punching in tons of data like your leg length, MBTI type, whorls on your fingers, etc.

As for As, I've read mixed things. There are are a lot of them that think they're paleo types like Os, and are adamant that NO ONE should drink milk or eat grains. Based on my own observations, what I've read on the bt forums, as well as all over the Internet, they do quite well on variations of their bt friendly list(which is filled with dairy, poultry, vegetables, and various grains), can't run, can't digest meat, need to do a lot of yoga, etc. The personality descriptions of various blood types are dead-on. The Japanese have done a lot of research on this. The As and ABs I've known are quietly judge-y, always insinuating or downright stating that you should eat more like a vegetarian. In paleo circles it's not as clear since those groups are led and dominated by Os. Back in the 90s, before paleo hit, the As said blood type was true. But then after it went mainstream they all backtracked and jumped on the bandwagon. However, I have read that they do well on higher protein also, just not the same proteins as other types.

Ray Peat is likely a blood type O. I would guess he might be an Explorer genotype, using the D'Adamo descriptions:
http://www.genotypediet.com/explorer.shtml
Thanks for that info. Very interesting!

gretchen

pboy said:
Its quite obvious humans are frugivorous apes in anatomy....tho we potentially have higher iodine requirements. So rather than eat abundant ripe fruits and termites and flowers and tender shoots....

there is no exact peat diet, and even if there was, it wouldn't matter what blood type you are at all, all humans have the same anatomy and physiology, its a species thing

Actually, I read one bloggers opinion that all other blood types except O are frugiforious plant eaters.

We may have high iodine needs because of having evolved on a marine-based diet.

According to epigenetic research, our bodies are quite different and we may not be the same species.

XPlus

VanillaBean said:
XPlus said:

I don't drink milk really but do use half -n-half in my coffee. Also yogurt and cheeses I tolerate well.

I had a quick look at this guys stuff. I gotta admit that his anthropological work sounds very interesting.
Since you're an O type and - ironically - can tolerate dairy well, I'd say ditch that and go Peat.

VanillaBean said:
XPlus said:

"Type Os thrive on intense physical exercise and animal protein. Unlike the other blood types, Type Os muscle tissue should be slightly on the acid side. Type Os can efficiently digest and metabolize meat because they tend to have high stomach-acid content. The success of the Type O Diet depends on the use of lean, chemical-free meats, poultry, and fish. Type Os don't find dairy products and grains quite as user friendly as do most of the other blood types.

The initial weight loss on the Type O Diet is by restricting consumption of grains, breads, legumes, and beans. The leading factor in weight gain for Type Os is the gluten found in wheat germ and whole wheat products, which interferes with insulin efficiency and slow down metabolic rate. Another factor that contribute to weight gain is certain beans and legumes (lentils and kidney beans) contain lectins that deposit in the muscle tissues making them less "charged" for physical activity. The third factor in Type O weight gain is that Type Os have a tendency to have low levels of thyroid hormone or unstable thyroid functions, which also cause metabolic problems. Therefore it is good to avoid food that inhibits thyroid hormone (cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, mustard green) but increase hormone production (kelp, seafood, iodized salt).Several classes of vegetables can cause big problems for Type Os, such as the Brassica family (cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) can inhibit the thyroid function. Eat more vegetables that are high in vitamin K, which helps the clotting factor which is weak in Type Os. The nightshade vegetables can cause lectin deposit in the tissue surrounding the joints.

Because of the high acidity stomach, Type Os should eat fruits of alkaline nature such as berries and plums..Type Os should severely restrict the use of dairy products. Their system is not designed for the proper metabolism. If you are a Type O of African ancestry, you should eliminate dairy foods and eggs altogether."

This is interesting because it reflects a lot of what Peat has said to eat, diet wise. Except for the dairy. I do know I have a hypothyroidism.

This is all bull****. I don't even feel the need to reply to why. No mechanisms are proposed - there isn't even a study referenced showing that it is positively correlated.

The reasons people are tricked by these things is because changing your diet always has adaptive effects - these often feel good. For example, the twinkie diet works for many at first - and we all know that is idiotic.

gretchen

On the other hand, many of the most intelligent posters on forums are Asians, who as a general rule are all blood types except O. Dr. D'Adamo himself is a blood type A. For all we know Steve Jobs might have been an A.

May blood type forever remain the unpopular, always repudiated, thoroughly debunked theory that it is. I thought about the fact that the idea is actually based to a great extent on the oberservations of D'Adamo's dad, who formed his ideas based on his patients who he saw at his spa. In essence, what people are saying is that scientific studies trump observation. What you see with your own eyes or hear is not true. Of course.

OP
V

VanillaBean

XPlus said:
VanillaBean said:
XPlus said:

I don't drink milk really but do use half -n-half in my coffee. Also yogurt and cheeses I tolerate well.

I had a quick look at this guys stuff. I gotta admit that his anthropological work sounds very interesting.
Since you're an O type and - ironically - can tolerate dairy well, I'd say ditch that and go Peat.
Yeah that's why I joined the forum and became a peatatarian :D

But I do agree with his research about type O's tending to have thyroid issues.

OP
V

VanillaBean

oxidation_is_normal said:
VanillaBean said:
XPlus said:

This is all bull****. I don't even feel the need to reply to why. No mechanisms are proposed - there isn't even a study referenced showing that it is positively correlated.

The reasons people are tricked by these things is because changing your diet always has adaptive effects - these often feel good. For example, the twinkie diet works for many at first - and we all know that is idiotic.

I agree with our diets being adaptive. They change over time. Animal's diet change over time too due to the availability of certain foods so why not humans as well.

I was wondering if certain blood types do better on the Peat Diet. Are their any studies/articles discussing this? I've read that type O's do better with higher protein in their diets, whereas type A and B do better with more carbohydrates.

So, if you are a type O (which I am) would I do better being a peatetarian eating more protein than a type A or B?
Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I started the Blood Type Diet 10 years ago and it saw results within 3 days, with foot pain disappearing as well as a few other issues. I devoted myself,
strickly, tovit for the first year resulting in a ten pound weight loss, which was a lot doing it the healthy way for a 5'4 small frame girl. As time went on I noticed the lack of dairy affecting my teeth and the uptake of lots of meat without calcium making the beautiful house of cards I had built, in that first year, crumbling here and there. 10 years later have learned, as an "O" blood type, how to have my cake and "Peat" it too! I still adhere to avoiding the "AVOID" foods on the Blood Type Diet except for milk and orange juice. Everything on the "Peat" diet is my main priority now and I feel like the two together is very anti-aging. I haven't been to a doctor in 10 years, no medications and never looked or felt better! Too bad I didn't figure all of this out before 57 ?