Porridge For Breakfast

M

member 2106

I'm beginning to think that porridge may have potential to be my perfect breakfast. You can get some salt in there, some milk, some fruit, some honey, etc. It's got the starch too, and I'm incapable of living without starch. I know oatmeal is a bit iffy in the Peat philosophy unless well cooked. Do you think soaking the oats overnight would help? Or is it really just a case of boiling and boiling until you can boil no more? Thanks for any ideas!

Makrosky

I don't eat porridge anymore because I find it boring. But other than that, all you said is true. Cheap, versatile, gentle to the stomach, lots of carbs... I think people was afraid of it's PUFA content. I'm not. And yes, soaking overnight definitely makes it better.

jyb

I read that oatmeal is less likely to deactivate the anti-nutrients when soaked in water on its own compared to other popular grains. From my own experience, I would not call oatmeal gentle to the stomach compared to some other soaked flours. It is delicious, though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've let it cook on low overnight in the slow cooker and I find that works out well.

BobbyDukes

It definitely kept me regular. Every evening, I would feel the familiar 'urge'. Like clockwork. I kinda enjoyed it too, I guess. Think I stopped because PUFA seemed on the high side when I went Peat. Towards my later days as a porridge eater, I would eat it with cacao nibs, bee pollen and maca (don't even ask). It was pretty nasty with those added funky ingredients.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't had oatmeal it in a while but it is something different to have on the breakfast rotation. I seem to enjoy the hot cereals more in the wintertime. This another porridge type breakfast option that tastes pretty good imo.
Masa Harina Hot Cereal Or Drink(atole)

I like the taste of oatmeal but it makes me feel like a complete wimp. Destroys my erections. Also makes my teeth hurt. I've tried soaking and cooking for a long time, makes no difference.
PS. I'm a pretty open guy, i hope the erection stuff ain't too much info. :D

Kray

I'm beginning to think that porridge may have potential to be my perfect breakfast. You can get some salt in there, some milk, some fruit, some honey, etc. It's got the starch too, and I'm incapable of living without starch. I know oatmeal is a bit iffy in the Peat philosophy unless well cooked. Do you think soaking the oats overnight would help? Or is it really just a case of boiling and boiling until you can boil no more? Thanks for any ideas!

I just found this post-- funny I'm on the porridge binge too! Anyway, Sally Fallon in her book, Nourishing Traditions, has a recipe for soaking oatmeal overnight. She says the soaking yields highest benefits and best assimilation (reduces phytates, I believe). We opt for Greek yogurt for the soaking--it gives it a tangy taste, and we just add lots of honey or sugar, and butter. It's really good. Here's the recipe:

BREAKFAST PORRIDGE Serves 4

1 cup oats, rolled or cracked
1 cup warm water plus 2 Tb whey, yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
(flax seeds optional topping)

Soak the oats covered, in the warm water, with your choice of yogurt kefir, or buttermilk. Keep mix in a warm place from 7-24 hrs. At end of soaking, bring 1 cup water with sea salt to boil. Add soaked oats, reduce heat, cover and simmer several minutes. (stir in flax seeds and let stand a few minutes) Serve as you like, with butter, sweetener, apricot butter, etc.

Due to allergies, I'm pretty much a gluten-free, wheat-free gal, and had been long before I met Peat. I haven't had any noticeable problems with oatmeal prepared this way. Hope this might work for some of you!

whodathunkit

I LOVE porridge. But if I eat it more than very occasionally, I find it drives my food cravings, just like all PUFA foods do (grains, processed foods, nuts, etc.).

My favorite breakfast lately is cold white rice with raisins or some fruit, with milk poured over it, and a glass of orange juice on the side. Sometimes it's rice and coffee beans with milk poured over it, and the OJ (always on the side ;)).

You can also warm the rice and milk and put fruit, sugar, honey, or whatever in it.

IMO white rice is a great alternative for those of us who grew up eating and loving grains for breakfast. Definitely the more Peaty choice.

Bonus if the rice is cold, or has been refrigerated for at least 24 hours before warming up, as the cooking and cooling create gelatinous resistant starch, which is very helpful with bowel regularity.

Last edited:

Kray

Great idea, sounds yummy too. I hadn't given much thought to the PUFA angle, but it is always good to keep in mind, between the cold temps and holidays! Comfort foods often trump reason if we're not careful. For some, a nasty rash or some other bother (gut issues) will be enough to keep our noses clean, but try to choose wisely if we have to have that special treat.

Agent207

Love sorghum porridge for breakfast,

1 cup soaked (3/4 sorghum + 1/4 rye) flakes
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals