All Things Oat Bran

Beastmode

Then I may aswell be keto
I don't know your history so this is more like a convo in a shopping line.

Hope you figure it out with success.

Some take this stuff way too serious in my experiences. Sometimes eating what doesn't irritate you, regardless of the name this way of eating is, might be the right track for you.

Personally, it just so happens that Peat's suggestions have worked for me. However, quite a bit of it doesn't work for my wife.

Samya

I wanted to share some observations after eating oats on and off.

A few times last year I went wild camping which meant carrying over 20kg through mountainous terrain, very stressful and energy intensive. I took a different dehydrated starch each time as a staple (brown rice, white rice, potatoes and then oats) and found that oats, combined with powdered milk and honey, were the most easily digestible in the quantities necessary and provided the most stable energy. I then ate oats on and off over the last year and found they curb hunger very well compared to simpler sugars and like many have pointed out, make me regular like clockwork.

I’ve also found oats have a relaxing, slightly sedative effect and after looking into it discovered yesterday that oats contain small amounts of gramine, which is similar in structure to serotonin and a known 5-HT2A receptor agonist. This makes me wonder if oats may act in an anti-serotonin way similar to other 5-HT2A agonists. I notice the sedative effect most pronounced as a physical sensation/numbing around my forehead, perhaps as this is close to where there are a lot of 5-HT2A receptors in the frontal lobe. Gramine has also found to be anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic, antiviral, antibacterial and is only one of many interesting compounds in oats.

I'm going to continue experimenting with oats - rolled, bran, fibre, pinheads and would like to hear from other people who will inevitably be trying them as Ray mentioned them recently...

Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran with milk, butter, apples and maple syrup. So so good on a cold morning!

Samya

A few things I've noticed after eating oats more regularly again... After trying a few kinds I find I prefer rolled oats for the texture and taste compared to oat bran, apparently rolled oats have a bit more energy/starch and a bit less pufa too. I like soaking them overnight as prefer uncooked milk, but think they're more easily digested when cooked and the starch is gelatinised. When cooked I have them on the lowest temperature possible for them to soak up the milk, slowly cooking over at least half an hour. Apparently the 'gelatinization peak' is from 58 to 79c. [1]

The most noticeable benefit so far apart from increased energy is my fingers which have been skinny as long as I can remember are now thickening up consistently. I'm guessing the stable energy is allowing my body to waste less protein. I also find after eating oats with milk that the skin on my hands has a healthy glow, again I think that the stable energy is allowing other nutrients to be used more optimally. They've been a good addition but like anything too much has drawbacks, particularly the fibre can be irritating to digestion if eaten in excess.

[1] Water holding capacity and viscosity of ingredients from oats -The effect of -glucan and starch content, particle size, pH and temperature.

Last edited:
P

Peatness

Nutrition Facts Oat Bran
For a Serving Size of 100 grams (100g)
Calories 246Calories from Fat 63.3 (25.7%)
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7g-
Saturated fat 1.3g-
Monounsaturated fat 2.4g-
Polyunsaturated fat 2.8g-
Sodium 4mg1%
Potassium 566mg13%
Carbohydrates 66.2g-
Net carbs 50.8g-
Sugar 1.5g-
Fiber 15.4g62%
Protein 17.3g
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamin A 0μg0%
Vitamin A IU 0IU-
Vitamin B6 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B12 0μg0%
Vitamin C 0mg0%
Vitamin D 0μg0%
Vitamin D IU 0IU-
Vitamin E 1mg6%
Vitamin K 3.2μg3%
Caffeine 0mg-
Calcium 58mg6%
Iron 5.4mg68%
Magnesium 235mg68%
Phosphorus 734mg74%
Zinc 3.1mg21%
Copper 0.4mg21%
Manganese 5.6mg282%
Selenium 45.2μg65%
Retinol 0μg-
Lycopene 0μg-
Thiamine 1.2mg78%
Riboflavin 0.2mg13%
Niacin 0.9mg5%
Folate 52μg13%
Choline 32.2mg6%
Betaine 19.6mg-
Water 6.6g-
Fatty acids
Amino acids
Tryptophan 0.3g-
Threonine 0.5g-
Isoleucine 0.7g-
Leucine 1.4g-
Lysine 0.8g-
Methionine 0.3g-
Cystine 0.6g-
Phenylalanine 0.9g-
Tyrosine 0.7g-
Valine 1g-
Arginine 1.3g-
Histidine 0.4g-
Alanine 0.9g-
Aspartic acid 1.6g-
Glutamic acid 3.7g-
Glycine 0.9g-
Proline 1g-
Serine 0.9g-
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.

Amino acid profile

Mazzle

I have been eating oat bran for a few months now. It’s the only thing I feel happy eating. I cook with water and a splash of milk. I add gelatin which makes it digestible for me. I also add some wheat bran fibre. I used to add a spoon of coconut oil but stopped because I was worried it might cause weight gain. I think I will go back to adding that. With sugar, it’s the perfect meal for me. I’ve got a few days ahead of me where I don’t have to cook for the family. Am seriously considering just eating oatbran.

P

Peatness

I have been eating oat bran for a few months now. It’s the only thing I feel happy eating. I cook with water and a splash of milk. I add gelatin which makes it digestible for me. I also add some wheat bran fibre. I used to add a spoon of coconut oil but stopped because I was worried it might cause weight gain. I think I will go back to adding that. With sugar, it’s the perfect meal for me. I’ve got a few days ahead of me where I don’t have to cook for the family. Am seriously considering just eating oatbran.
Me too. I wish I could live on oat bran and nothing else. However, if you are not adding much milk to it you may run the risk of pulling calcium out of your bones. Watch out for joint pains.

Last edited by a moderator:

CastorTroy

Oats is a poor grain choice when you have others available like barley, containing less overall oxidized unsaturated fat (7gr vs 2gr).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals