All Things Oat Bran

PeskyPeater

Are the fibers of carrot and oatbran equivalent per weight in their efectiveness? What are good portion sizes?

When we compare the content of fiber of carrots and oatbran per 100gram we see:
carrots: 2.8 gr
oatbran: 15 gr

Taking a medium sized carrot of about 70gr we get ~2gr of fiber per portion of carrot salad.
Then a portion of oatbran is about 20gr. for 5 gr per tablespoon taking 4 Tbs gives a fiber content of 3 gr. which is about 1/5 us cup

jaakkima

Either Ray is wrong or Cronometer is wrong about the calories etc. I am never surprised if Cronometer is wrong, but it says two hundred something calories but more importantly 2.6g PUFA in a cup.

tastyfood

After 2 or 3 weeks of using oat bran for breakfast, it's starting to work really well for me. Good and regular bowel movements in the morning. At the beginning it was making me bloated as it took some time for my body to adjust to this new food in my diet.

PeskyPeater

Oat bran made my sweat stink depisite, bulking up my poo.. Why?
Changes in hormonal balance, consumed food and metabolic shifts might have an impact on both quantitative and qualitative composition of sweat. Any shifts in skin microbiota as well as bacterial infections might change the composition of sweat, often producing distinctive odor, given that human organism remains in symbiosis with several microbial species that are able to transform chemical compounds of sweat. For example, in streptococcal intertrigo a distinctive foul smell of patients’ skin has been reported [142].

Could be from trimethylamine or Short chain fatty acids (butyric, propionic, acetic, isovaleric, isocaproic acid)
see table 1 of the study

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
After 2 or 3 weeks of using oat bran for breakfast, it's starting to work really well for me. Good and regular bowel movements in the morning. At the beginning it was making me bloated as it took some time for my body to adjust to this new food in my diet.
Nice! :D

SamYo123

Changes in hormonal balance, consumed food and metabolic shifts might have an impact on both quantitative and qualitative composition of sweat. Any shifts in skin microbiota as well as bacterial infections might change the composition of sweat, often producing distinctive odor, given that human organism remains in symbiosis with several microbial species that are able to transform chemical compounds of sweat. For example, in streptococcal intertrigo a distinctive foul smell of patients’ skin has been reported [142].

Could be from trimethylamine or Short chain fatty acids (butyric, propionic, acetic, isovaleric, isocaproic acid)
see table 1 of the study
It made me stink of ***t i think looool but ive had a few steaks recently too....

Keep in mind something Dr. Peat said and I believe I experienced to some degree. Don’t do this for more than a year or two. There are bad effects over time. It is probably carcinogenic. Same as psyllium fiber I think. I don’t think it’s something to use daily over a long period of time.

Lizb

Keep in mind something Dr. Peat said and I believe I experienced to some degree. Don’t do this for more than a year or two. There are bad effects over time. It is probably carcinogenic. Same as psyllium fiber I think. I don’t think it’s something to use daily over a long period of time.
Damn, I'm really enjoying it. It provides saitiation.

Inaut

Damn, I'm really enjoying it. It provides saitiation.

Eat it until you don't want it anymore... I think every food could be found to be "carcinogenic" if they study it looking for that... We've all heard about milk and IGF-1, meat and and the cooking process, Heck, even store bought orange juice could be carcinogenic...Eat what you enjoy eating and what makes you feel best. We aren't living forever.......

Lizb

Eat it until you don't want it anymore... I think every food could be found to be "carcinogenic" if they study it looking for that... We've all heard about milk and IGF-1, meat and and the cooking process, Heck, even store bought orange juice could be carcinogenic...Eat what you enjoy eating and what makes you feel best. We aren't living forever......
I appreciate your response. Pretty good advice.

jaakkima

Man, every different thing you look at gives wildly different nutritional data. On the Bob's Red Mill bag it says a cup is 450 calories, 5 times what Ray says. I just like to be aware of the PUFA mainly. Seems like something like 3 grams maybe?

johnsmith

Is anyone experiencing negative symptoms from the startch in oat bran? After eating it every day for two months, I suspect I'm starting to experience some neuroexcitatory symptoms, which is why I normally stay away from starch.

I've also noticed that my appitite for meat has decreased, which I think is due to all the phosphate in the oat bran, even though I supplement 500mg of calcium carbonate daily, on top of a moderate amount of diary consumption. I've also added a bit of powdered milk to my diet, for extra calcium.

Last edited:

johnsmith

What does this look like for you?
Sort of like impulsive sporadic autistic tourette-like stress symptoms triggered by thoughts that I don't like.

Today I chose to give oat bran a break and I supplemented 1 drop of Pansterone, 4 drops of Stressnon, and some Aronia berry to lower serotonin and I'm feeling good and relaxed now.

CastorTroy

Don't know about oat bran, but been eating oatmeal (whole) regularly for +15 years and its an excellent staple food for me. Tried to be off of it for some months to try the "sugar diet" based on fruits with zero or minimal starch but didn't see any improvement. In fact I experienced a better general energy feeling when I returned to the more dominant starchy diet, with some sugar from fruits and honey. My guess since sugars are the easiest thing to digest, is this kind of diet may be good for people having problems with digesting complex carbs. In my case where digestions are always optimal no matter what I eat, I feel better on starches as main carb source. Potatoes, sprouted oats, sourdough spelt bread, pressure cooked beans...etc.

PeskyPeater

Is anyone experiencing negative symptoms from the startch in oat bran? After eating it every day for two months, I suspect I'm starting to experience some neuroexcitatory symptoms, which is why I normally stay away from starch.

I've also noticed that my appitite for meat has decreased, which I think is due to all the phosphate in the oat bran, even though I supplement 500mg of calcium carbonate daily, on top of a moderate amount of diary consumption. I've also added a bit of powdered milk to my diet, for extra calcium.
I suspect the powdered milk, how is it dried, damaged protein of milk the tryptophan metabolites can give over-excitation..

johnsmith

I suspect the powdered milk, how is it dried, damaged protein of milk the tryptophan metabolites can give over-excitation..
Interesting that you say that, because the over-excitation symptoms line up more closely with when I introduced powdered milk into my diet.

Last edited:

SamYo123

I highly suggest anyone wanting to try this is to start at very small amounts as if you're system is "slow," this can make symptoms worse. It will definitely stimulate your bowels, but it won't necessarily help you poop always.

Removing the inputs that are creating inflammation in the gut are primary. At the least, it's the safest place to start.

Ask me how I know this? :rolleyes:
"
Removing the inputs that are creating inflammation in the gut are primary. At the least, it's the safest place to start.

What if its sugar?

Beastmode

"

What if its sugar?
Then remove it!

Like anything else, once your system starts getting healthier, sometimes things can be added back in eventually.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals