Maybe you guys were right....but I'm stuck - Constant need for calories/nutrition/carbs/fats or I become extremely depleted and dehydrated

Callmestar

I've posted several times about ongoing symptoms of extreme depletion, dehydration, thirst, frequent urination which have been with me for 7 years now. I'm yet to find a solution despite endless medical tests.

When I initially posted about this here several felt it was a thyroid / metabolism issue, but at the same time I know they is the go to idea for this forum so I took it on board and tried much of what was recommended but saw little or no improvement. Saying that, I do notice more in recent months that eating regularly reduces my symptoms temporarily and my symptoms are worst at night when I go for 8 hours or so without taking in an nutrition. I wake up several times I night feeling extremely thirsty, urinating clear urine and feeling extremely depleted, to the point it feels like my heart is struggling to have the power to beat. I don't feel hungry at night per say but I certainly feel depleted like there's not enough glycogen or nutrition in my system. I guess it feels like I'm deficient somehow or my electrolytes are off but no obvious deficiency is present and no concoction of electrolytes makes any difference.

I'm following advice here and what my body is telling me to do and I'm eating more and eating regularly. I'm currently eating every few hours as it gives me temporary partial relief from feeling extremely depleted and thirsty/dry. But it's as though my body can't hold on to the nutrition I take in, or it's used up very quickly and I'm quickly back to feeling unbearable thirsty and depleted. I don't know if it's an actual organic thirst/dehydration at this point or just the way my body presents the symptoms, as even if I retain fluid a bit better at times, I still feel thirst.

I'm just again looking for advice on what to do. I'm on thyroid - T3 50mcg. I've played about with various dosages and different types of thyroid. This seems to be the best balance for me although it doesn't really help my symptoms. It's brought my cholesterol down to near normal levels. It was previously very high despite not being overweight so there was definitely so hypothyroid cholestasis going on I believe which I think is now mostly corrected. I don't think it's a malabsorption issue either, although there may have been a component of this previously. Bile salts, digestive enzymes and betain HCL seem to have resolved any malabsorption going by what I see but I still seem to be unable to keep satiated / hydrated / replenished.

It's like I'm in a constant battle with my body somehow becoming depleted and dehydrated, thirsty all the time. All of the typical things have been covered and can be seen in my other thread about dehydration but if anyone has any further ideas more specifically on why I seem to become deficient and depleted so rapidly all the time it would be appreciated. It feels like I have some form of nutritional, mineral, glycogen wasting, even that's even a thing, yet I am not losing weight, if anything I'm gaining slowly so I must be using the calories to an extent.

Thanks all.

redsun

I've posted several times about ongoing symptoms of extreme depletion, dehydration, thirst, frequent urination which have been with me for 7 years now. I'm yet to find a solution despite endless medical tests.

When I initially posted about this here several felt it was a thyroid / metabolism issue, but at the same time I know they is the go to idea for this forum so I took it on board and tried much of what was recommended but saw little or no improvement. Saying that, I do notice more in recent months that eating regularly reduces my symptoms temporarily and my symptoms are worst at night when I go for 8 hours or so without taking in an nutrition. I wake up several times I night feeling extremely thirsty, urinating clear urine and feeling extremely depleted, to the point it feels like my heart is struggling to have the power to beat. I don't feel hungry at night per say but I certainly feel depleted like there's not enough glycogen or nutrition in my system. I guess it feels like I'm deficient somehow or my electrolytes are off but no obvious deficiency is present and no concoction of electrolytes makes any difference.

I'm following advice here and what my body is telling me to do and I'm eating more and eating regularly. I'm currently eating every few hours as it gives me temporary partial relief from feeling extremely depleted and thirsty/dry. But it's as though my body can't hold on to the nutrition I take in, or it's used up very quickly and I'm quickly back to feeling unbearable thirsty and depleted. I don't know if it's an actual organic thirst/dehydration at this point or just the way my body presents the symptoms, as even if I retain fluid a bit better at times, I still feel thirst.

I'm just again looking for advice on what to do. I'm on thyroid - T3 50mcg. I've played about with various dosages and different types of thyroid. This seems to be the best balance for me although it doesn't really help my symptoms. It's brought my cholesterol down to near normal levels. It was previously very high despite not being overweight so there was definitely so hypothyroid cholestasis going on I believe which I think is now mostly corrected. I don't think it's a malabsorption issue either, although there may have been a component of this previously. Bile salts, digestive enzymes and betain HCL seem to have resolved any malabsorption going by what I see but I still seem to be unable to keep satiated / hydrated / replenished.

It's like I'm in a constant battle with my body somehow becoming depleted and dehydrated, thirsty all the time. All of the typical things have been covered and can be seen in my other thread about dehydration but if anyone has any further ideas more specifically on why I seem to become deficient and depleted so rapidly all the time it would be appreciated. It feels like I have some form of nutritional, mineral, glycogen wasting, even that's even a thing, yet I am not losing weight, if anything I'm gaining slowly so I must be using the calories to an extent.

Thanks all.

You could be making yourself hyperthyroid as that is too much T3. I have seen that at most the body makes 30mcg T3 a day. I have also seen lower numbers but you are taking way over the amount. In hypothyroidism, there is increased ADH activity which causes water retention. In hyperthyroidism, there is reduced water retention and polyuria. Too much thyroid hormone reduces ADH activity due to increased cardiac output, renal blood flow, and downregulation of aquaporins. So you may be making your problem worse due to too much T3.

The other thing, hyperthyroidism makes you burn through your food quickly, thus you feel depleted. When you eat carbs, you hold onto water for glycogen storage. Soon as the carbs are used up you urinate the water out. When you are hyperthyroid, you will constantly get rid of water you use for glycogen because you burn through glycogen too quickly. So the amount of water in your body will shift faster. If you are having heart palpitations and racing heart this can also be due to hyperthyroidism from T3. Tachycardia also triggers polyuria due to increase atrial pressure which causes release of natriuretic peptides to make you excrete salt and water.

Do you deal with tachycardia and racing heart often?

Have you checked PTH levels? Hyperparathyroidism can also cause weakness and polyuria.

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

You could be making yourself hyperthyroid as that is too much T3. I have seen that at most the body makes 30mcg T3 a day. I have also seen lower numbers but you are taking way over the amount. In hypothyroidism, there is increased ADH activity which causes water retention. In hyperthyroidism, there is reduced water retention and polyuria. Too much thyroid hormone reduces ADH activity due to increased cardiac output, renal blood flow, and downregulation of aquaporins. So you may be making your problem worse due to too much T3.

The other thing, hyperthyroidism makes you burn through your food quickly, thus you feel depleted. When you eat carbs, you hold onto water for glycogen storage. Soon as the carbs are used up you urinate the water out. When you are hyperthyroid, you will constantly get rid of water you use for glycogen because you burn through glycogen too quickly. So the amount of water in your body will shift faster. If you are having heart palpitations and racing heart this can also be due to hyperthyroidism from T3. Tachycardia also triggers polyuria due to increase atrial pressure which causes release of natriuretic peptides to make you excrete salt and water.

Do you deal with tachycardia and racing heart often?

Have you checked PTH levels? Hyperparathyroidism can also cause weakness and polyuria.

I'm not hyperthyroid. Many people take much higher doses of T3 with no issues. If anything I'd say I'm still slightly hypo rather than hyper. My issues started 7 years ago and are no worse on thyroid. If anything I have improved very slightly since being on this dose of T3. No, I never get tachycardia or racing heart other than when I stand due to POTS which has also been there long before taking thyroid. My symptoms have nothing to do with my T3 dose. I would have loved it if my ADH was high due to hypothyroidism, but I was dumping out clear urine years before ever taking any thyroid medication.

Yes I've had parathyroid checked, levels are normal.

redsun

I'm not hyperthyroid. Many people take much higher doses of T3 with no issues. If anything I'd say I'm still slightly hypo rather than hyper. My issues started 7 years ago and are no worse on thyroid. If anything I have improved very slightly since being on this dose of T3. No, I never get tachycardia or racing heart other than when I stand due to POTS which has also been there long before taking thyroid. My symptoms have nothing to do with my T3 dose. I would have loved it if my ADH was high due to hypothyroidism, but I was dumping out clear urine years before ever taking any thyroid medication.

Yes I've had parathyroid checked, levels are normal.
I see well if you had POTS long before all of this, that can contribute to these symptoms. Did you develop POTS around the same time your other symptoms presented? If you treated your POTS, it may indirectly improve your water retention. Have you been able to improve your POTS in any way? Also how is your resting heart rate and BP?

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

I see well if you had POTS long before all of this, that can contribute to these symptoms. Did you develop POTS around the same time your other symptoms presented? If you treated your POTS, it may indirectly improve your water retention. Have you been able to improve your POTS in any way? Also how is your resting heart rate and BP?

POTS came on during the period I have been unwell. But long before taking thyroid. I've tried fludrocortisone, and the usual increase in salt and fluid intake, it's made no difference. My resting heart rate is about 55bpm and BP about 110/60.

Uncooked/raw cheese taken with equal parts uncooked/raw honey might do you well. Provides an abundance of fat and minerals to stabilize the system.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals