Things were going well then I had a bad experience.

Mittir

Basic RP diet is simple. But you were over doing on supplements, cocoa and liver. RP had problem with cocoa when he experimented with it for magnesium source. It can rapidly lowers blood sugar and there are tons of article in pubmed on cocoa's ability in aggravating many chronic problems like migranes and ibs. Keep reading RP articles and listen to his audio's to learn as much as you can. RP thinks excess starch increases cortisol and insulin . Starch is not as good as sugar in repleting glycogen storage.

Swandattur

I probably said something about this already in this thread, but I think starches can cause weird blood sugar/insulin reactions as well as feeding gut bacteria. It sounds as if starch was being eaten, so it might be causing some of the problem. Starch, as mentioned by Mittir, is not optimal Peat diet food.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Swandattur said:
I probably said something about this already in this thread, but I think starches can cause weird blood sugar/insulin reactions as well as feeding gut bacteria. It sounds as if starch was being eaten, so it might be causing some of the problem. Starch, as mentioned by Mittir, is not optimal Peat diet food.

Didn't eat starch during the peat diet, only before and after, but I've never had any reactions in the past.

Jenn

LoveBlood said:
I've never had reactions to food like this, I could miss breakfast and be out doing stuff and not be phased etc.
If you were missing breakfast and in an active state, your adrenals were keeping your blood sugar and temperature up, not your food. When you then eat some food, your adrenals step down and your thyroid and liver have to work...and they can't handle it.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Jenn said:
LoveBlood said:
I've never had reactions to food like this, I could miss breakfast and be out doing stuff and not be phased etc.
If you were missing breakfast and in an active state, your adrenals were keeping your blood sugar and temperature up, not your food. When you then eat some food, your adrenals step down and your thyroid and liver have to work...and they can't handle it.

I'd rather be back there than where I am now.

Jenn

You are where you are now because of what you did back then. I am in the same boat. I used to be so energetic not eating until late in the day. I would go workout for 2 hours, feeling fabulous. Until , down the road, I stopped being energetic at all.

Rayser

I think your metabolism increased dramatically while you were eating Ray Peat style.
So you needed more food than you were used to.
Therefore the feeling of emptiness. You were hungry.
That happens when your blood sugar is low.
Blood sugar drops to its lowest while you are sleeping.
You ate eggs which lower blood sugar very, very dramatically at a time when you were already experiencing symptoms of low blood sugar.
That's when your system crashed.
It has happend to me, it has happend to Ray Peat and to other people I know.
I would quit the eggs unless you eat them after about 250ml of (fresh pressed) orange juice.
I know how you feel right now. It once happend to me after having two eggs (nothing else) in the morning and I was in court the whole day, giving my testimony. I felt like I would black out any minute and that was though I was eating white sugar all the time.
Stay away from pure eggs for a while.
I'd bet you, it's not going to happen again.

Rayser

Jenn said:
You are where you are now because of what you did back then. I am in the same boat. I used to be so energetic not eating until late in the day. I would go workout for 2 hours, feeling fabulous. Until , down the road, I stopped being energetic at all.

Very true. That's what always comes to my mind when somebody says "I never had any problems with that before ..." Well, damage accumulates.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Rayser said:
LoveBlood and Pboy: Have you been supplementing thyroid?

Another thing I have noticed: This feeling of emptiness is most likely low blood sugar. If you feel it when you go to bed, sugared milk is a great idea.

Nope, I don't supplement thyroid.

I was unable to sleep last night, aside from maybe a few very short naps of 5/10 mins, it was like every time I was falling asleep I got a jolt, like I flinched. After many hours I got up as I was starting to get the empty feeling. I got up and had a cup of milk with 2 tsps of sugar half tsp salt, that helped a bit but a short while later it was coming back, I got another cup of milk with 10 tsp sugar, half tsp salt and 2 tablespoons of gelatin, this hasn't totally alleviated my feelings, but I'd say I feel a fair bit better, I had the gelatin cause I was concerned that I might just keep spiking and crashing without a bit more protein than is in the semi-skim milk. Not really sure how the blood sugar thing works in a peat context.

My mouth/tongue felt really dry and I noticed that there was a lot of white stuff on my tongue, this means a bacteria overgrowth, right? I noticed last night and the previous night I had a slight gagging sensation towards the end of eating dinner and also whilst brushing my teeth, this has never happened before, so right now I'm having two large raw carrots with salt.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Rayser said:
Jenn said:

Very true. That's what always comes to my mind when somebody says "I never had any problems with that before ..." Well, damage accumulates.

Right, I had problems before, just not these problems...I'm just hoping this is me learning to deal with an improved metabolism.

And to clarify, the night I had the big crash I didn't have eggs, I used them along with sugared milk to get to sleep.

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
Right, I had problems before, just not these problems...I'm just hoping this is me learning to deal with an improved metabolism.

And to clarify, the night I had the big crash I didn't have eggs, I used them along with sugared milk to get to sleep.

I'm sorry: So you didn't have the eggs with sugared milk the night you had the problem?

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
Jenn said:
LoveBlood said:

I'd rather be back there than where I am now.

Cortisol is only emergency power. It kicks in when your thyroid gland fails. (There are other reasons, too.)
It doesn't last forever and it comes at a high cost.

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
Last night I was eating dinner (pasta and sausages) and my temp went up to 37.3 and pulse around 100, same thing happened tonight after fish and potato wedges, both times my toes were slightly cold.

When I woke up today I got myself a glass of oj, and one wheat bagel with jelly, drank some of the oj and had half the bagel but i was feeling kind of jittery inside, i put it aside for a while and then finished it and felt fine, I then didn't eat for around 3 1/2 hours until the dinner I just mentioned and I felt fine during that period. My pupils are often dilated.

I'm afraid I can't give you helpful information on a diet with PUFA, starches, processed foods, gluten and grains.
While I was eating like that I had all my problems. It's why I avoid nearly everything you ate last night.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Rayser said:
LoveBlood said:

I'm sorry: So you didn't have the eggs with sugared milk the night you had the problem?

No, that was the previous night, the night I crashed badly I was in the middle of making sugared milk with cocoa and i had a tsp or two of sugar before waking up my mother as I was so scared.

Right now I don't feel too good, after eating 1 of the carrots, feel a bit jittery.

OP
L

LoveBlood

Rayser said:
LoveBlood said:
Last night I was eating dinner (pasta and sausages) and my temp went up to 37.3 and pulse around 100, same thing happened tonight after fish and potato wedges, both times my toes were slightly cold.

When I woke up today I got myself a glass of oj, and one wheat bagel with jelly, drank some of the oj and had half the bagel but i was feeling kind of jittery inside, i put it aside for a while and then finished it and felt fine, I then didn't eat for around 3 1/2 hours until the dinner I just mentioned and I felt fine during that period. My pupils are often dilated.

I'm afraid I can't give you helpful information on a diet with PUFA, starches, processed foods, gluten and grains.
While I was eating like that I had all my problems. It's why I avoid nearly everything you ate last night.

I'm just not too sure what to do. Seemed/seems crazy to me that on 400g of carbs I could end up having a hypoglycemic episode, so I wanted to just start eating some foods that I thought would be kinda grounding, fill me up.

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
Rayser said:
LoveBlood said:

No, that was the previous night, the night I crashed badly I was in the middle of making sugared milk with cocoa and i had a tsp or two of sugar before waking up my mother as I was so scared.

Right now I don't feel too good, after eating 1 of the carrots, feel a bit jittery.

You should be careful with cocoa, too. Plain milk with sugar (lots!) and gelatine would be better.
Carrots have negative calories. They are good against bacteria and endotoxins, by that against estrogen and serotonin, but they lower your blood sugar, too.

Have you tried the fried potato juice?

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
I'm just not too sure what to do. Seemed/seems crazy to me that on 400g of carbs I could end up having a hypoglycemic episode, so I wanted to just start eating some foods that I thought would be kinda grounding, fill me up.

Swandattur said:

I'm afraid Swandattur is right and carb is not carb. I would concentrate on the sugar and really try the fried potato juice.

Swandattur

Almost every time I eat any cocoa, I notice a problem, usually the next day. I think someone said it can cause insulin problems and gut irritation. That's interesting and good to have an explanation. I wonder what problems LB had before trying Peat recommendations. Maybe if you, LoveBlood, could detail in a food diary kind of way how it all happened it could be sorted out, and also give a little more background of where you came from health wise?
All of us who have had panic attacks have empathy with you on that. I remember calling my sister in the middle of the night to come stay with me in case I died in the night so she'd be there for my kids.

Rayser

j. said:
I'm not saying sugar is not a possible cause. I just think that there are also other possible causes as well. As I said, in my experience my blood sugar reading during the attack was the same as any other day, both taken in the morning before eating anything.

"Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy."

I found that in the e-mail-from-Ray-Peat-section.

My guess is that it takes a while to stop this stress reaction. Especially since many processes seem to be reverted.

Rayser

LoveBlood said:
Rayser said:
LoveBlood said:

I found this in the e-mail-section, too.

"Naturally fermented sourdough is less harmful than standard or unleavened wheat products, but any starch tends to stimulate appetite by activating fat synthesis. The same number of calories in fruit would be less fattening, and would keep your blood sugar steadier, improve your sleep and mental energy." RP

On protein in eggs (I told him I have 2 eggs for breakfast most days):

"To use the protein of 2 eggs efficiently it would be good to have a glass of milk and a large glass of orange juice."
(Bold from me)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals