Hypothyroid Maybe Hypoglycemia, But I Think It's Solely On Account Of Diet

OP
J

Jimmerz

Sedentary is fine. I sit at a computer all day and only get up to get coffee from Starbucks. :)

Oh, Your memory problems are specifically a b-vitamin deficiency. Yes, adderall might have caused it but more likely just having a poor diet. Multi-b vitamin supplements are usually poorly made and contain allergens, and even supplemented if the diet is poor your body would not be able to hold onto them (adderall also makes the body go through b's very quickly). As your health improves through the use of dairy and dairy fat your body will make better use of b vitamins, and I'd recommend taking @haidut 's b vitamin supplement.

Thanks Nate!, I sent @haidut a message. Good info and greatly appreciated!

OP
J

Jimmerz

The weight loss is very drastic. Has your doctor done a full check up ? To make sure it isn't any serious problems like AID's or something else. Hypoglycemia doesn't make you lose so much weight.

I've been with the same girl for 15 years, and was checked for HIV, Hep C, etc. 3-4 years ago. My job was an extremely high stress position (As in, if not done properly people can easily die.), and I think a combination of that stress, an appetite suppressing stimulant, and running myself ragged are responsible. I guess it's possible that it could be cancer, as I have this unexplained dry mouth salty taste, and supposedly that's a symptom, or possibly diabetes.

Something else I just thought of, is about 15 years ago I developed Alopecia and lost all the hair on my head. It took a couple years, but it all came back. I've read of links between this and thyroid disease.

OP
J

Jimmerz

@Jimmerz, for many of us it is stress hormones that kill our appetite. What helped me was to sip some fruit juice or salted milk, or eat some fruit, each time I noticed symptoms of stress (cold nose, frequent urination, feeling irritated ...). After a couple of days I got ravenously hungry. I ate and ate, and was still hungry. I was like this for several weeks.

I got rid of severe carpal-tunnel like symptoms within a month,

Hey Giraffe, You know that feeling you get when you're extremely hungry? Empty stomach, stomach growling, etc.? I haven't had that feeling in years. It's like what little I do eat/drink lays in my stomach and only gets pushed further along by whatever little I've eaten next. I don't know if trying a laxative to stimulate my digestive tract would possibly help/be a good idea? I do have a prescription here of Linzess that my Dr. gave me a couple years ago that I could try to clean my guts out.

OP
J

Jimmerz

I agree it could be worth a fuller check up once Jim finds a more competent dr to see if the are other serous issues at play. But living on a starvation diet for a long time might be enough to account for the weight loss.

Yeah Tara, I just have to get myself straight enough that I can get back to working, get insurance again and get checked out. I've had people suggest to me to get one of those access cards for health care, and I can't bring myself to do it. Not saying that's a bad thing for those that do, it's just a pride thing I guess about paying my own way.

DaveFoster

Just eat Haagen-Daaz. Put chocolate syrup on it if you want. There you go.

Take some cyproheptadine. Bam appetite stimulant.

Mirtazapine, bam, appetite stimulant.

Even marijuana, bam, appetite stimulant. Just get some food in. Low PUFA, enough protein.

Adderall is pretty damaging, especially in higher dosages. You'll bounce back. Try to aim for 2000 calories. If you can hit that, things will get better.

EIRE24

Dairy and dairy fat will help the quickest to stabilize your health. Lots of milk add cream to it, three or more meals a day. The fat in dairy stabilizes cellular functions and it has the most nutrients of anything you can eat. Also eat potatoes, fruit, and sugar. Basically anything is better than what you've been doing, but it's not too late and since you're already lean, dairy will have a profound impact on your health (dairy fat! No skim. I'd make half-and-half with cream and a gallon of milk if I were you). Sometimes it takes a while for the stomach to digest lactose if it's been a while, be patient. If severe digestive trouble happens with dairy take riboflavin (b2) it will help balance your gut.
Dude, you come up with new things like this all the time and because it works for you presume it will work for everyone. What if dairy makes someone get acne?

DaveFoster

Dairy and dairy fat will help the quickest to stabilize your health. Lots of milk add cream to it, three or more meals a day. The fat in dairy stabilizes cellular functions and it has the most nutrients of anything you can eat. Also eat potatoes, fruit, and sugar. Basically anything is better than what you've been doing, but it's not too late and since you're already lean, dairy will have a profound impact on your health (dairy fat! No skim. I'd make half-and-half with cream and a gallon of milk if I were you). Sometimes it takes a while for the stomach to digest lactose if it's been a while, be patient. If severe digestive trouble happens with dairy take riboflavin (b2) it will help balance your gut.

Dude, you come up with new things like this all the time and because it works for you presume it will work for everyone. What if dairy makes someone get acne?
I hope this is a joke in this context.

EIRE24

I hope this is a joke in this context.
Why would it be a joke? I've seen him post stuff before and assume it's 100% what will help the person. I don't really care it's my opinion if you don't like it then ignore it

Giraffe

If I found out that a friend of mine was in a situation like yours, I would ask him to come visit me and stay a couple of days at my place. I would serve him three meals a day and bully him until he has finished his plate. :lol:

Undereating chronically is chronic stress, and chronic stress plays evil tricks with the mind. People get "too lazy" to eat, even if there is food available easily. Some need to relearn what a normal portion size is, and they forget meals, because they have lost their appetite and the feeling of hunger.

Is there someone (a friend or a relative) who could take care of you for a couple of days?
Hey Giraffe, You know that feeling you get when you're extremely hungry? Empty stomach, stomach growling, etc.? I haven't had that feeling in years.
The hunger will come back once you start having meals regularly.

DaveFoster

Why would it be a joke? I've seen him post stuff before and assume it's 100% what will help the person. I don't really care it's my opinion if you don't like it then ignore it
For example:

Ray Peat would not recommend excessive amounts of olive oil, beans, or nuts.

However, if you're starving, these foods can save your life.

Dairy, while causing acne, stops you from starving and delivers excellent nutrition, estrogen and acne aside.

Giraffe

Jim will need more food than he can stomach, and Nate suggested foods that are both nutrient and calorie rich, but stressed that any food is better than starving. There is nothing new to Nate's suggestions.

If you want to discuss acne, please, find a suitable thread.

EIRE24

For example:

Ray Peat would not recommend excessive amounts of olive oil, beans, or nuts.

However, if you're starving, these foods can save your life.

Dairy, while causing acne, stops you from starving and delivers excellent nutrition, estrogen and acne aside.
But I'm pretty sure people have other choices besides dairy, unless you live in a third world country and are properly starving with no access to other food. There's other ways to get the same nutrients that are in dairy. I do eat dairy but I'm just saying you can't assume this is the exact path. I think this forum is getting way too authotharian which is so funny because it's what ye are all trying to oppose. I don't use this anymore due to things like this.

EIRE24

Jim will need more food than he can stomach, and Nate suggested foods that are both nutrient and calorie rich, but stressed that any food is better than starving. There is nothing new to Nate's suggestions.

If you want to discuss acne, please, find a suitable thread.
Alright mate, put more sugar in your coffee and chill

J

James IV

Sounds like a case of very extreme nutrient depletion. Even before your weight loss you were on a nutrient depleting diet. 1400 calories coming from coke will break down all sorts of tissue to process that empty energy.

I would suggest you focus on eating very caloricly and nutritionally dense foods. Especially animal fat and protein. You likely have low digestive fluids already, so fat and protein are vital to up that production. salt too. Fatty steak, whole milk (if your gut is intact), and eggs would be a good meal. Organ meats mixed in if they appeal to you. Maybe some mashed potato depending on what's going on with your blood sugar. Eating larger meals less often will help with digestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

EIRE24

Sounds like a case of very extreme nutrient depletion. Even before your weight loss you were on a nutrient depleting diet. 1400 calories coming from coke will break down all sorts of tissue to process that empty energy.

I would suggest you focus on eating very caloricly and nutritionally dense foods. Especially animal fat and protein. You likely have low digestive fluids already, so fat and protein are vital to up that production. salt too. Fatty steak, whole milk, and eggs would be a good meal. Organ meats mixed in if they appeal to you. Maybe some mashed potato depending on what's going on with your blood sugar. Eating larger meals less often will help with digestion.
Why the larger meals less often help with digestion james?

J

James IV

Why the larger meals less often help with digestion james?

Waiting longer between meals allows bile and acid production to be more efficient. The more bile and acid you have available, the more the likelyhood for better digestion and assimilation. It also allows the liver and pancreas to be "prepared" for energy partioning.

Eating food starts a cascade of events in the body, that are very energy intensive. Constantly running the systems involved in digestion and assimilation can be very taxing, particularly on an already stressed system.

EIRE24

Waiting longer between meals allows bile and acid production to be more efficient. The more bile and acid you have available, the more the likelyhood for better digestion and assimilation. It also allows the liver and pancreas to be "prepared" for energy partioning.

Eating food starts a cascade of events in the body, that are very energy intensive. Constantly running the systems involved in digestion and assimilation can be very taxing, particularly on an already stressed system.
I understand. I've seen myself that eating 2 large meals a day and waiting until I'm hungry helps with my digestion more than eating frequently. Constantly feeding never worked for me.

What other ways are best to increase bile and stomach acids to ensure proper digestion?

J

James IV

I understand. I've seen myself that eating 2 large meals a day and waiting until I'm hungry helps with my digestion more than eating frequently. Constantly feeding never worked for me.

What other ways are best to increase bile and stomach acids to ensure proper digestion?

Id rather not derail jimmers thread. PM me if you have questions.

tara

Yeah Tara, I just have to get myself straight enough that I can get back to working, get insurance again and get checked out. I've had people suggest to me to get one of those access cards for health care, and I can't bring myself to do it. Not saying that's a bad thing for those that do, it's just a pride thing I guess about paying my own way.
I'm not a dr, this is just a lay opinion.
I think the most likely problem is severe fuel and other nutrient deficiency rather than some other nasty disease process, and eating is the key remedy for that. You may be able to read up on refeeding syndrome to see how to spot it on the off chance it gets you. (I haven't researched this, so I don't know what all the signs and treatment are, other than it is not common, can involve serious electrolyte derangement and I think extreme bloating/swelling, and can be life-threatening if not treated. I think you can reduce the risk by gradually increasing food intake by 100-200 calories every couple of days. If you have your girlfriend around, you can let her know about what to look out for, and to get you emergency care in the unlikely event.

Continuing as you are doesn't look like a good option to me.

In terms of food choices, I'd go for anything you can eat that has lots of calories, and favour food that is relatively easy (for you) to digest. That might be lots of whole milk and cream, honey, mashed potatoes with butter, eggs, meat, fruity jellies, rice pudding, Irish stew, hearty soups, dried fruit..... Drink fruit juice and whole milk that agrees with you in preference to water. Or a rich sweet orange julius or similar. :) Make sure to use salt, and some foods with calcium, magnesium, potassium - maybe some green veges with their stock . Carry food with you at all times so you can snack - dried fruit can be good for some, or harder to digest for others. Chocolate and fudge are portable if it's not too hot. This is not necessarily what Peat would advise - if he has written about this situation, I haven't seen it.

Here's a related thread: Recovery From Undereating - Youreatopia
Here's a place yo can start reading youreatopia. Blog posts New ? Start Here.

There is a good chance that once you take a bit of time to deliberately eat enough, you will at some point get very, very hungry. Maybe for 5 or 10 times as much as you have been eating. When you do, I think (informed by youreatopia) that feeding that appetite is most likely what your body needs most.

If I found out that a friend of mine was in a situation like yours, I would ask him to come visit me and stay a couple of days at my place. I would serve him three meals a day and bully him until he has finished his plate. :lol:
What, just three meals a day? not 6 or 8? :lol:
And be ready to take to emergency department on the small chance that refeeding syndrome hits. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals