First time posting and need your help!

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone, I’m hoping to make this brief and summarize as best I can. I’m 32 male 5”10 190lbs. I recently found the RP community about 3 months ago after becoming chronically fatigued, weak, constipated, and not having an appetite. I instantly start ray peat principles and I start improving after about 2 weeks. Glycogen stores started improving. Before this I was not able to go long without snacking or drinking milk or OJ otherwise I would feel extremely tired, and dehydrated. I started on methylene blue for the first 3 weeks and took pregnenolone about 20mg a day for about 2 months. I also took aspirin occasionally but only when symptoms flared up and I took a b complex and finally vitamin k. I kept healing slowly but was very hard since my whole life was flipped upside down. My life consist only of going to work and trying to survive the fatigue and handful of other symptoms. Before this I was always working out and “eating clean” This is prior to discovering Ray Peat so it wasn’t that great of a diet. However, I believed this was brought on by a bout of chronic stress. It had been 10 months of dealing with work, family problems which gave me extreme anxiety…Fast forward to one month ago when I start experiencing a new set of symptoms I started getting achy hands with bulging veins that seem to hurt, spasms through my body I also got some bruising behind my legs. At this point I had done some labs and my vitamin d was extremely low it was 10! I started on that and stopped the vitamin K because I thought I may have thrown off my clotting system by doing vitamin K while having low vitamin D. Fast forward to about a week ago and I discover a swelling behind my left knee! And my leg muscles start hurting more on both legs. I get burning sensations on both legs. At this point I go to the local clinic so they can look at my knee and they did an x ray and they said it looked good and they saw no arthritis and said I could’ve just pulled it and it should go away soon! I’m afraid the swelling is a DVT or worse a tumor. I seem to have increased hydration needs. I’ve had immense thirst this week even tho I’m drinking plenty of Sea salt, OJ, and milk. I’m going to the ER in the morning because the leg pains have gotten worse and the systemic body spasms continue. and after watching a video on YouTube I’m afraid it’s excessive bleeding which could lead to worse case scenarios. I’ll try and post the video shortly. The weird thing is that my fatigue . But these new set of symptoms are scary so I’m hoping for some guidance from this great community..any help is greatly appreciated. Ask any questions you may have.

According to the video I mentioned earlier.. a patient checked into the ER because of her leg pains that turned out to be bleeding caused from scurvy..or low vitamin C.. I have the symptoms she describes but I don’t know if it’s being caused by the same thing. I have been eating plenty of fruit and orange juice so I didn’t suspect that. Now I’m afraid it’s something else . This week was rough since I got severe panic and dehydration while eating with my girlfriends family..I think the bruising and symptoms point to excessive bleeding. I took aspirin all last week because I never suspected it could be that but I stopped taking it about three days ago. Thank you again. Even if you just read this post. Never imagined my health would turn this fast

Elie

Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum 1st time poster.
I personally read things more easily when there is space between the lines...

Based on what yo shared I assume you are a young male?

I think getting comprehensive lab work up would be helpful and in light of your symptoms I'd first look for markers of inflammation (CRP, ESR, RDW) and stress / estrogen markers (cortisol, DHEAs, Prolactin liver enzymes), also iron an thyroid panels.

Some of the things you described sounded like there might be magnesium deficiency, and magnesium is it is required for vitamin proper vit D functionality.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone, I’m hoping to make this brief and summarize as best I can. I’m 32 male 5”10 190lbs. I recently found the RP community about 3 months ago after becoming chronically fatigued, weak, constipated, and not having an appetite. I instantly start ray peat principles and I start improving after about 2 weeks. Glycogen stores started improving. Before this I was not able to go long without snacking or drinking milk or OJ otherwise I would feel extremely tired, and dehydrated. I started on methylene blue for the first 3 weeks and took pregnenolone about 20mg a day for about 2 months. I also took aspirin occasionally but only when symptoms flared up and I took a b complex and finally vitamin k. I kept healing slowly but was very hard since my whole life was flipped upside down. My life consist only of going to work and trying to survive the fatigue and handful of other symptoms. Before this I was always working out and “eating clean” This is prior to discovering Ray Peat so it wasn’t that great of a diet. However, I believed this was brought on by a bout of chronic stress. It had been 10 months of dealing with work, family problems which gave me extreme anxiety…Fast forward to one month ago when I start experiencing a new set of symptoms I started getting achy hands with bulging veins that seem to hurt, spasms through my body I also got some bruising behind my legs. At this point I had done some labs and my vitamin d was extremely low it was 10! I started on that and stopped the vitamin K because I thought I may have thrown off my clotting system by doing vitamin K while having low vitamin D. Fast forward to about a week ago and I discover a swelling behind my left knee! And my leg muscles start hurting more on both legs. I get burning sensations on both legs. At this point I go to the local clinic so they can look at my knee and they did an x ray and they said it looked good and they saw no arthritis and said I could’ve just pulled it and it should go away soon! I’m afraid the swelling is a DVT or worse a tumor. I seem to have increased hydration needs. I’ve had immense thirst this week even tho I’m drinking plenty of Sea salt, OJ, and milk. I’m going to the ER in the morning because the leg pains have gotten worse and the systemic body spasms continue. and after watching a video on YouTube I’m afraid it’s excessive bleeding which could lead to worse case scenarios. I’ll try and post the video shortly. The weird thing is that my fatigue . But these new set of symptoms are scary so I’m hoping for some guidance from this great community..any help is greatly appreciated. Ask any questions you may have.

According to the video I mentioned earlier.. a patient checked into the ER because of her leg pains that turned out to be bleeding caused from scurvy..or low vitamin C.. I have the symptoms she describes but I don’t know if it’s being caused by the same thing. I have been eating plenty of fruit and orange juice so I didn’t suspect that. Now I’m afraid it’s something else . This week was rough since I got severe panic and dehydration while eating with my girlfriends family..I think the bruising and symptoms point to excessive bleeding. I took aspirin all last week because I never suspected it could be that but I stopped taking it about three days ago. Thank you again. Even if you just read this post. Never imagined my health would turn this fast
It sound like you may have a gut infection/dysbiosis (along with whatever else). A stool test like GI-MAP will most likely find some pathogens you may need to "nudge" out. If you have increased international permeability it is probably not a good idea take too many exotic substances/foods until that improves.

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum 1st time poster.
I personally read things more easily when there is space between the lines...

Based on what yo shared I assume you are a young male?

I think getting comprehensive lab work up would be helpful and in light of your symptoms I'd first look for markers of inflammation (CRP, ESR, RDW) and stress / estrogen markers (cortisol, DHEAs, Prolactin liver enzymes), also iron an thyroid panels.

Some of the things you described sounded like there might be magnesium deficiency, and magnesium is it is required for vitamin proper vit D functionality.
Thank you Elie for your response I’ll definitely add space.

Update I’ve checked in too the hospital. They just took blood and they said they would do full metabolic panel and do ct scan of the back of my knee to check for clotting. But if it’s not an emergency I will have to follow up with my doctor. So will keep posting updates.

Biggest concerns

1. Swelling behind the knee could be clot, tumor, or bakers cyst.

2. Could this be systemic bleeding since I’m getting symptoms all over? Spasms, burning skin sensations, cramping. Although it mostly concentrates on the back of my legs

3. Excessive thirst that doesn’t go away with electrolytes. I’ve been peating for about 3 months. Milk, and OJ, fresh fruit sea salt etc.

Finally I forgot to mention I also tried applying progesterone to the back of the legs but I don’t feel any relieve.

What’s confusing is I started this ray peat journey because of fatigue. Which started improving but I developed these new problems. Thank you everyone. I’m waiting for the ct scan here at the hospital

Peatress

Thank you Elie for your response I’ll definitely add space.

Update I’ve checked in too the hospital. They just took blood and they said they would do full metabolic panel and do ct scan of the back of my knee to check for clotting. But if it’s not an emergency I will have to follow up with my doctor. So will keep posting updates.

Biggest concerns

1. Swelling behind the knee could be clot, tumor, or bakers cyst.

2. Could this be systemic bleeding since I’m getting symptoms all over? Spasms, burning skin sensations, cramping. Although it mostly concentrates on the back of my legs

3. Excessive thirst that doesn’t go away with electrolytes. I’ve been peating for about 3 months. Milk, and OJ, fresh fruit sea salt etc.

Finally I forgot to mention I also tried applying progesterone to the back of the legs but I don’t feel any relieve.

What’s confusing is I started this ray peat journey because of fatigue. Which started improving but I developed these new problems. Thank you everyone. I’m waiting for the ct scan here at the hospital
Is it too late to request an MRI scan instead of a CT scan?

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
Is it too late to request an MRI scan instead of a CT scan?

Unfortunately not they said I would have to go to my regular doctor for that and they are really swamped so they only check for emergencies. They just did the ct scan and waiting for results

Peatress

Unfortunately not they said I would have to go to my regular doctor for that and they are really swamped so they only check for emergencies. They just did the ct scan and waiting for results
Ok. Out of interest, did you get any of the covid shots?

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
Ok. Out of interest, did you get any of the covid shots?
No I did not.

So I was just released and it turns out they did an ultrasound and not a ct scan (I swear the first nurse said ct). They did the test on my leg with the swelling and they didn’t find any clots in the veins or arteries!

And the doctor told me labs came back fine. She said RBC’s were not low and my liver looks good and that I need to follow up with my primary doctor for more testing but I’m free to go.

I think @Elie is onto something with the magnesium advice. I only started taking 125mg of magnesium glycinate daily about 3 days ago. But considering i’ve been dealing with all these symptoms for about three months I may be severely deficient.

I also heard from another peater that it maybe magnesium, calcium related. It’s almost like it’s pulling it from your bones if you’re not providing it which might explain the pains, burning sensations etc. I just figured milk, oj, and fresh fruit was providing everything I needed. Will try increasing magnesium dose and see if that helps.

I’ll post labs as soon as I get a hold of them. And go from there. I need to also schedule an appt with my DR. and get an MRI scheduled and see what’s behind my knee. Cyst maybe? From chronic stress, fatigue? Or releasing too much estrogen? I know Ray mentions that shock/stress increases estrogen and makes everything leaky.

Thanks you everyone who commented it does make you feel more positive knowing you have access to this great community.

Will continue pushing forward.

Greyfox

Try cutting back on salt. You might be getting too much too quickly. Excessive salt intake can make you thirsty. it may explain the swelling and spasms as well. I'm not saying salt is bad, but if your metabolism isn't running smoothly too much salt too quickly can be risky.
Also a symptom of diabetes is excessive thirst. Have you cut your fat down during this change towards peating? It may be your metabolism isn't ready for the amount of extra sugar you're giving it.

Last edited:

wzuo

No worries mate. Almost all my joints were hurting at some time. I have visited few doctors and nobody was able to tell anything. Everything looked normal, no inflammation, no deformation etc. Took me few years to discover that it was caused by hypothyroidism... So you are on good way.
You should fix stress in your life, either physical or physiological. It makes a lot of mess. Two months ago my dauther has born and it was stressful situation for my family to rearrange things, due to that situation I had some symptoms back again, but I have managed to fix them quickly.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I agree with @wzuo - got to evaluate the thyroid.
If you are still worried about a cloth and are still waiting for further input from a doctor, then vitamin E and or Aspirin would likely be hlepful.

You mentioned intense thirst? check glucose levels to rule out diabetes. Maybe too much sugar all too quickly? Shouldn't be the case but you never know...

Anyhow. Keep us posted.

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
Try cutting back on salt. You might be getting too much too quickly. Excessive salt intake can make you thirsty. it may explain the swelling and spasms as well. I'm not saying salt is bad, but if your metabolism isn't running smoothly too much salt too quickly can be risky.
Also a symptom of diabetes is excessive thirst. Have you cut your fat down during this change towards peating? It may be your metabolism isn't ready for the amount of extra sugar you're giving it.
I think this has something to do with it. So I got home took 300mg of mag glycinate and felt some relief within 30 minutes. And maybe I was over doing the salt I was salting to taste and adding some to my fruits and also to my juice.

A day of eating when I have a good appetites is about 4 eggs for breakfast with OJ and some fruit, a cup of milk before lunch time, for lunch I have about 6-8 ounces of either grass fed beef or lamb with a side of veggies, I’ll have a cup of coffee and milk and sugar with my lunch. After lunch I’ll snack on fruit and either drink more OJ or milk and I’ll get home and have a carrot salad before dinner. I might drink more milk or juice before dinner. For dinner I’m usually not as hungry but I eat another 6 ounces of animal protein (beef or lamb) and maybe eat fruit, milk or have some ice cream.

I noticed my glycogen stores were improving and a lot of my fatigue symptoms were also improving but the legs pains, with swelling and cramping came recently.

But maybe I did consume too much sugar too soon and not balanced it out with other minerals and nutrients? My metabolism might not have been ready to be ramped up that fast. Maybe experimenting by eating more fat a little less sugar?

Greyfox

I think this has something to do with it. So I got home took 300mg of mag glycinate and felt some relief within 30 minutes. And maybe I was over doing the salt I was salting to taste and adding some to my fruits and also to my juice.

A day of eating when I have a good appetites is about 4 eggs for breakfast with OJ and some fruit, a cup of milk before lunch time, for lunch I have about 6-8 ounces of either grass fed beef or lamb with a side of veggies, I’ll have a cup of coffee and milk and sugar with my lunch. After lunch I’ll snack on fruit and either drink more OJ or milk and I’ll get home and have a carrot salad before dinner. I might drink more milk or juice before dinner. For dinner I’m usually not as hungry but I eat another 6 ounces of animal protein (beef or lamb) and maybe eat fruit, milk or have some ice cream.

I noticed my glycogen stores were improving and a lot of my fatigue symptoms were also improving but the legs pains, with swelling and cramping came recently.

But maybe I did consume too much sugar too soon and not balanced it out with other minerals and nutrients? My metabolism might not have been ready to be ramped up that fast. Maybe experimenting by eating more fat a little less sugar?
If you get anymore swelling despite lowering salt. Consider that it might be excessive fluid intake, excessive fat intake or insufficient calories/energy. How's the appetite?
Maybe experimenting by eating more fat a little less sugar?
Personally. I would experiment with lowering fat instead but it tends to have different effects on different people. Too much fat tends to mess with my circulation and lowering them is therapeutic. I made this mistake recently by drinking icecream. Cut off circulation to my scalp and hair started falling out.

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
I agree with @wzuo - got to evaluate the thyroid.
If you are still worried about a cloth and are still waiting for further input from a doctor, then vitamin E and or Aspirin would likely be hlepful.

You mentioned intense thirst? check glucose levels to rule out diabetes. Maybe too much sugar all too quickly? Shouldn't be the case but you never know...

Anyhow. Keep us posted.
I just ordered some tocovit from idealabs so I’ll be adding that soon.

Yes too much sugar too quickly maybe. I’ll try and get access to my labs soon and see if they tested thyroid. If not I’ll order my own online.

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
No worries mate. Almost all my joints were hurting at some time. I have visited few doctors and nobody was able to tell anything. Everything looked normal, no inflammation, no deformation etc. Took me few years to discover that it was caused by hypothyroidism... So you are on good way.
You should fix stress in your life, either physical or physiological. It makes a lot of mess. Two months ago my dauther has born and it was stressful situation for my family to rearrange things, due to that situation I had some symptoms back again, but I have managed to fix them quickly.
Glad to hear your better again and congratulations on your daughter! Lots of blessings

I’m definitely going to investigate my thyroid more closely. Hopefully I get my life back soon

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
If you get anymore swelling despite lowering salt. Consider that it might be excessive fluid intake, excessive fat intake or insufficient calories/energy. How's the appetite?

Personally. I would experiment with lowering fat instead but it tends to have different effects on different people. Too much fat tends to mess with my circulation and lowering them is therapeutic. I made this mistake recently by drinking icecream. Cut off circulation to my scalp and hair started falling out.
My appetite not too great. These last few days have been stressful so it could be high stress hormones. Digesting is also a little slow. I noticed when I’m excessively thirsty or my mouth is too dry I don’t have an appetite.

So adding more sugar or more protein instead of fat?

Greyfox

My appetite not too great. These last few days have been stressful so it could be high stress hormones. Digesting is also a little slow. I noticed when I’m excessively thirsty or my mouth is too dry I don’t have an appetite.

So adding more sugar or more protein instead of fat?
I think your first priority should be lowering stress before anything else. The amount of problems stress causes me in terms of metabolism is so broad that I've found great relief by just lowering that. In fact if you're good at lowering it you can notice striking changes in the span of an hour.
You have any experience with meditation? Do you have anyone willing to give you a massage on short notice?

OP
P

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter
I think your first priority should be lowering stress before anything else. The amount of problems stress causes me in terms of metabolism is so broad that I've found great relief by just lowering that. In fact if you're good at lowering it you can notice striking changes in the span of an hour.
You have any experience with meditation? Do you have anyone willing to give you a massage on short notice?
I have meditated in years back but not recently. But lowering stress is my first priority. Easier said than done when you’ve been in the vicious cycle for a while. I’m going get more test done and make sure there isn’t anything else going on and take it from there. Thank you for all this advice

wzuo

For me cypro broke self propelling cycle of stress even though I was relaxed and didn't worry about anything stress has caused another stress and I was in a bad loop. Looks like it was shitty serotonin. There may be some gut damage causing this but I havent found it yet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals