Time Slowing Down

ljihkugft7

This might be a long shot...

but I vaguely remember a conversation between Ray, Georgi and Danny talking about time slowing down in some context that I don’t quite remember?

Reason being: I baked a little cake (coconut flour + egg ) and the cooking time went by So fast. I then ate the cake. I was still a little hungry afterwards so I decided to bake another one, but this time the exact same cooking time felt like it took forever? Way longer than the first cake.
could it be that when we are metabolically satisfied and full of sugar/protein, that time could go slower?? Or our prescription of time?

It’s honestly a bit weird how different the cooking times felt between when I was hungry vs Id eaten properly.

I’ve always wondered this. Because I’ve definitely felt this fluctuation of time speed within my life?

or maybe I’m crazy haha. Hopefully someone else is also interested with this or has an interesting perspective :)

GreekDemiGod

@Cleo I have felt this when I am well fed, or when I'm out in the sun. Also remember as a child, doing agricultural work during the summers, time went by so slow.

redsun

but I vaguely remember a conversation between Ray, Georgi and Danny talking about time slowing down in some context that I don’t quite remember?

Reason being: I baked a little cake (coconut flour + egg ) and the cooking time went by So fast. I then ate the cake. I was still a little hungry afterwards so I decided to bake another one, but this time the exact same cooking time felt like it took forever? Way longer than the first cake.
could it be that when we are metabolically satisfied and full of sugar/protein, that time could go slower?? Or our prescription of time?

It’s honestly a bit weird how different the cooking times felt between when I was hungry vs Id eaten properly.

I’ve always wondered this. Because I’ve definitely felt this fluctuation of time speed within my life?

or maybe I’m crazy haha. Hopefully someone else is also interested with this or has an interesting perspective :)

Repeating the same thing (process of making the cake again) is less rewarding to the brain so less dopamine release the 2nd time around and dopamine is involved in perception of time. This is why we get the most dopamine from seeking novel things. Our brain encourages us to do new things which increase dopamine release more than doing the same things.

You can observe this with stimulants like caffeine or even stronger ones. I purposefully consume caffeine when I have to go be somewhere that is boring or something that is going to suck because I know caffeine will make time fly by faster because it increases dopamine release and speeds up perception of time.

TheSir

You can observe this with stimulants like caffeine or even stronger ones. I purposefully consume caffeine when I have to go be somewhere that is boring or something that is going to suck because I know caffeine will make time fly by faster because it increases dopamine release and speeds up perception of time.
It should be the opposite. I remember reading a post from Jack Kruse about how in a high dopamine state time slows down. Weak metabolism would thus make time go faster, which would also be the same reason time flies by the older you get, i.e. because your metabolism weakens. Vigorous metabolism is also required for experiencing a sense of novelty, and novelty causes immersion and memory formation better than routine, both of which make you feel like you've been able to pack more punch into the same amount of time. It's why as a child summers laster forever.

Caffeine likely speeds up your perception of time because you become stressed and wired.

lvysaur

Reason being: I baked a little cake (coconut flour + egg ) and the cooking time went by So fast. I decided to bake another one, but this time the exact same cooking time felt like it took forever?

Time flies when you're having fun, but feels much longer once it's done
Time moves slow when doing nothing, but looked back upon seems it was rushing

lvysaur

It should be the opposite. I remember reading a post from Jack Kruse about how in a high dopamine state time slows down.
Basically, present sense of time is different from memory of time.

Doing something interesting makes time go by quicker ("Time flies when you're having fun"). But if you remember the event later on, it will feel like a significant span of time, because it was filled with significant events.

Doing something boring makes time feel slow. But if you recall the same span of time, it will feel insignificant. Because nothing happened, so time may as well not have passed. AKA "where did the time go?"

LA

talking about time slowing down in some context that I don’t quite remember?
I did TM meditation for 5 years twice daily. Time became so slow that I had to stop. Also I could feel what everyone was thinking and I couldn’t handle it due to too many people being in turmoil, depressed, and etc. Now when I feel that life is zooming along too fast and I need more time I simply meditate to expand (slow down) time for that day.

Jib

Last time I smoked a joint, time slowed down. A lot.

Time would also slow way, way down whenever I would fight with my ex girlfriend. Which was daily for over three years.

Time perception is an interesting concept. It is absolutely flying now that I'm unemployed and isolated. You'd think it would go slowly, but the days just blur together, night and day, weekends/weekdays mean nothing to me anymore. I've been quite stressed and I do think that there's some credence to the idea that higher metabolism could slow the perception of time. Higher stress definitely makes time seem to go by faster -- to an extent. I remember being very lonely/isolated when I was a teenager and it felt like multiple lifetimes went by. I'm in the same situation now, more or less, but my feelings have changed and now time seems to go by very fast.

Interesting stuff. Time is cool. It's just a cool thing.

gaze

You can transcend time with feelings of love, joy, curiosity, just think about how if your at a party you can go 6 hours and think where the time went, but sitting in class 1 hour takes forever. If life is being “endured”, time takes forever, but time loses meaning if life is being lived with stimulation

axwqz

Now when I feel that life is zooming along too fast and I need more time I simply meditate to expand (slow down) time for that day.

That sounds cool. There is also video on YT for slowing down time:

Hgreen56

So when you baked you first cake, Were you hungry then?

Frankdee20

LSD and Marijuana always seemed to slow down my perception of time..... makes you wonder how much of a human construct time really is, but isn’t

catharsis

From what I understand, the faster your metabolism is and the faster your thoughts are, the slower you perceive time; and vice-versa. As for being a young child, it's both from the fast metabolism and from the lack of context that you perceive life as going by slowly. If you have experienced 10 years of life, every year will feel like a tenth, eleventh, and so on of your life, feeling like it's a diminishing chunk of your perceived life as you grow older. Years start to feel like months and months start to feel like a week etc.

I like the analogy of a steam-powered train, slowly oxidating your energy stores or what you put into the furnace (some things cleaner burning than others), pushing your way through life with a lot of momentum and not necessarily the need for speed. I find that when I rush, I miss important things and I just end up raising cortisol and adrenaline for no reason.

Lejeboca

A couple of papers connecting dopaminognic region of the brain (basal ganglia), where the reinforced learning (RL) using "reward prediction error" (RPE) estimation, with perception of time.
The first paper notes that time overestimation and underestimation were observed with positive and negative RPE, respectively.
The second paper finds that the way and timing in which dopamine (DA) signal activates internal clock affects whether the perception of time slows down or speeds up.

Prediction errors bidirectionally bias time perception | Nature Neuroscience

"Time perception and prediction errors are essential for everyday life. We hypothesized that their putative shared circuitry
in the striatum might enable these two functions to interact. We show that positive and negative prediction errors bias
time perception by increasing and decreasing perceived time,respectively. Imaging and behavioral modeling identify this
interaction to occur in the putamen. Depending on context, this interaction may have beneficial or adverse effects.
Our findings provide evidence that PEs bias time perception, and suggest that interaction between these two fundamental functions is driven by interaction in striatal activations. We found a bidirectional effect, in which a positive PE resulted in overestimation of duration, and negative PE resulted in underestimation of duration. These findings call for revisiting the notion that arousal alone, during either negative [16] or positive stimuli [17] , dictates longer perceived duration, and that predictability may induce shorter perceived duration [18]. The bidirectional bias that accompanied signed PE cannot be accounted for by absolute (attention-like) signals. A more integrative mechanism that combines differential patterns of atten-
tion due to valence, saliency [19], information [20] and unpredictability [18], might account for our findings."

Adapting the flow of time with dopamine

"The modulation of interval timing by dopamine (DA) has been well established over decades of research. The nature of this modulation, however, has remained controversial: Although the pharmacological evidence has largely suggested that time intervals are overestimated with higher DA levels, more recent optogenetic work has shown the opposite
effect. In addition, a large body of work has asserted DA’s role as a “reward prediction error” (RPE), or a teaching signal that allows the basal ganglia to learn to predict future rewards in reinforcement learning tasks. Whether these two seemingly disparate accounts of DA may be related has remained an open question. By taking a reinforcement learning-based approach to interval timing, we show here that the RPE interpretation of DA naturally extends to its role as a modulator of timekeeping and furthermore that this view reconciles the seemingly conflicting observations. We derive a biologically plausible, DA-dependent plasticity rule that can modulate the rate of timekeeping in either direction and whose effect depends on the
timing of the DA signal itself. This bidirectional update rule can account for the results from pharmacology and optogenetics as well as the behavioral effects of reward rate on interval timing and the temporal selectivity of striatal neurons. Hence, by adopting a single RPE interpretation of DA, our results take a step toward unifying computational theories of reinforcement learning and interval timing."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals