First Time Reaction To Food. Ever!

Please don't yell at me, but I was at Wendy's today to get my weekly potato w butter. I have to eat on the road and this is something I can actually eat in a restaurant, so I go here once a week. The problem comes in when I ordered a free Jr. Frosty. I got my first reaction a month ago when I drank one. It started when my mouth felt funny...kinda dry on the roof of my mouth. Then my ears/jaw started hurting and feeling full, which turned into a headache. Then inside my nose felt swollen, not congested, a feeling I've never experienced before. It just all felt very strange. Today I took 2 children's Benadryls, and I started feeling relief. Then the symptoms began to come back, so I took a 3rd one. The funny thing is I hate taking drugs, but that familiar druglike taste in my mouth was actually very comforting for a change. :wideyed:

I thought it was a good idea to just 'test the waters' to see if the reaction I had the first time was real and not me imagining things. I only had three sips this time, but this time was a stronger reaction. So no...I will not be having another Frosty ever.

Here's the ingredients list...

Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Cream, Whey, Nonfat Milk, Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Calcium Sulfate, Disodium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Annatto Extract, Vitamin A Palmitate.

Doesn't look like anything I haven't already ingested. I am alittle suspicious of carrageenan, but it's only been a bad gut reaction in the past.

1. Any ideas what caused the reaction?

2. Was this a histamine reaction?

3. Could I have brought this problem on myself by taking potassium iodide? Maybe caused myself Hashimoto's...overactived my immune system? I believe it brought on my afib, tremors, the need to shake my feet (adrenaline?). I believe using epsom salts in a 1 hour foot bath also is at fault. Being LCHF for 15 yrs is also at the root of this. These symptoms actually went away when I started Peating 2 months ago, but came back a few days ago I believe from drinking strong green tea.

Thank you in advance for all your help! :cat:

DaveFoster

I'd say your right on with adrenaline, but I'm not a doctor.

It sounds like a histamine reaction, and Ray has an article on the dangers of carrageenan in regards to removing estrogen via the liver.

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
I'd say your right on with adrenaline, but I'm not a doctor.

It sounds like a histamine reaction, and Ray has an article on the dangers of carrageenan in regards to removing estrogen via the liver.

Thanks for your help Dave! I will definitely look up that article by R.P.

Luann

Carageenan or guar gum can hit me hard. My gut says guar gum, since, even though carageenan is known to cause allergic reactions, guar gum seems like it's been in stuff that made me feel nasty.

DaveFoster

Diokine

All the symptoms you are describing line up exactly with a serotonin/histamine response. I also find pressure in the ears is a very common symptom. Carrageenan and guar gum are two extremely common irritants have been shown to irritate mast cells. Vitamin B6 has been shown to help stabilize mast cells, and I have had good results personally with niacinamide in reducing excessive symptoms.

Central nervous system mast cells in peripheral inflammatory nociception.

Mast cells of the human stomach

Differential release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wendy's doesn't use real butter but a margarine type substance with soybean oil and a bunch of other stuff mixed in it. Not that I think that was the cause of your rapid onset of problems but it probably wouldn't be the best choice to eat every week if you are trying to minimize pufa.

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Wendy's doesn't use real butter but a margarine type substance with soybean oil and a bunch of other stuff mixed in it. Not that I think that was the cause of your rapid onset of problems but it probably wouldn't be the best choice to eat every week if you are trying to minimize pufa.

Don't worry Blossom. I assure you that I only get butter there. They do TRY to give me the "buttery spread" every time, but I kinda give them a hassle and just keep repeating "butter" until they get it right! :clap: Lol!

But that is very interesting you say that. Now I wonder if in other states they don't even carry butter at Wendy's. In Wisconsin it is state law that all resaurants carry butter. So maybe in the rest of the country they don't?!? How disheartening!

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Carageenan or guar gum can hit me hard. My gut says guar gum, since, even though carageenan is known to cause allergic reactions, guar gum seems like it's been in stuff that made me feel nasty.

Thanks Liubo! :)

lindsay

Carrageenan and the guar gums for sure. Neither my husband, nor my dog, can eat any ice cream with additives without getting stomach troubles. I just don't eat ice cream, but I'm sure they would bother me. It's unfortunate that almost every brand in this country is poisoned with carrageenan :( If you want ice-cream and can stop at a grocery though, I'm sure Turkey Hill sells their All Natural versions everywhere, and they may even sell them in pint size versions - it's worth a try!

P.S. Please don't worry about people yelling at you - if anybody does, I would just ignore it. We don't all have the means to eat a perfect diet without starving.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Don't worry Blossom. I assure you that I only get butter there. They do TRY to give me the "buttery spread" every time, but I kinda give them a hassle and just keep repeating "butter" until they get it right! :clap: Lol!

But that is very interesting you say that. Now I wonder if in other states they don't even carry butter at Wendy's. In Wisconsin it is state law that all resaurants carry butter. So maybe in the rest of the country they don't?!? How disheartening!
How fantastic! That's the best law I've ever heard of, maybe I should move to Wisconsin.:p
ETA- I have some Wisconsin cheese curds I got from a store just down the road, delicious.

Last edited:
OP
Mmmaurshmallows
All the symptoms you are describing line up exactly with a serotonin/histamine response. I also find pressure in the ears is a very common symptom. Carrageenan and guar gum are two extremely common irritants have been shown to irritate mast cells. Vitamin B6 has been shown to help stabilize mast cells, and I have had good results personally with niacinamide in reducing excessive symptoms.

Central nervous system mast cells in peripheral inflammatory nociception.

Mast cells of the human stomach

Differential release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells

Thank you Diokine! You have just altered the course of my life! I get it now...I sooooo get it!

Histamine/serotonin has been what has taken me down a very bad path the last 5 years. I could never figure out what it was...just knew I couldn't stop feeling like sh*t! I wake up every morning feeling like death warmed over...physically and mentally. And many many days late afternoon I could hear myself saying "I hate my life" and having suicidal ideations. Thank God these have lessened since I began Peating 2 months ago! But now they've TEMPORARILY returned. Now I am armed with the knowledge of how to fix this! :danceAnd maybe this explains why I have such exteme itching on my back...internal only (nothing visible). I've had it for 35 years, but it has greatly intensified in strength and coverage the last 5 years. I thought it was my liver poorly detoxing due to fatty liver or blockage or something. It probably is a combination of fatty liver and detoxing the histamine.

I researched histamine and even found Histadelia (alot of mental symptoms), which sounds alot like me. And now it (probably) makes sense why Niacinamide gave me such a strong hyperventilating response...even at 50 mg! It lowered the high ammonia levels in my body, which altered my overbreathing pattern. I'm going to have take it veeeery slow. And of course avoid histamine foods as much as I can. Buh bye my wonderful cheeses (which I eat alot of coming from Wisconsin) :sorry:

:thankyoublue:thankyoublue:thankyoublue:thankyoublue

Last edited:

tara

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
How fantastic! That's the best law I've ever heard of, maybe I should move to Wisconsin.:p
ETA- I have some Wisconsin cheese curds I got from a store just down the road, delicious.

Yes Blossom...come on over! Lots of good food, good scenery, and good people. I'm curious what brand cheese curds you bought. I'm assuming you live near cause cheese curds need to be very fresh to still get them squeaky delicious.

On a side note...very recently a cheesemaker in Wisconsin was awarded the grand prize in a worldwide cheese competition.

bobbybobbob

I have to eat on the road and this is something I can actually eat in a restaurant, so I go here once a week.

McDonalds's Quarter Pounder with a large coke is good clean food. Low pufa, too (no mayo or anything). That's my "on the road" go-to. I'm pretty sure you could eat it every day. McDonalds has good quality control.

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
McDonalds's Quarter Pounder with a large coke is good clean food. Low pufa, too (no mayo or anything). That's my "on the road" go-to. I'm pretty sure you could eat it every day. McDonalds has good quality control.

Thanks bobbybobbob. I can't say I trust McDonald's though. Pretty sure they add soy to their meat!

We have a restaurant called Culver's which is a little higher quality fast food place. They also make their own frozen custard. I go here once a week. :hungry:

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Carrageenan and the guar gums for sure. Neither my husband, nor my dog, can eat any ice cream with additives without getting stomach troubles. I just don't eat ice cream, but I'm sure they would bother me. It's unfortunate that almost every brand in this country is poisoned with carrageenan :( If you want ice-cream and can stop at a grocery though, I'm sure Turkey Hill sells their All Natural versions everywhere, and they may even sell them in pint size versions - it's worth a try!

THANKS Lindsey! I've never heard of Turkey Hill. Is it available @ Whole Foods? I buy Hagen Daz and Breyers All Natural Vanilla.

P.S. Please don't worry about people yelling at you - if anybody does, I would just ignore it. We don't all have the means to eat a perfect diet without starving.

Good thought! Thanks again! :p

LeeRoyJenkins

Thank you Diokine! You have just altered the course of my life! I get it now...I sooooo get it!

Histamine/serotonin has been what has taken me down a very bad path the last 5 years. I could never figure out what it was...just knew I couldn't stop feeling like sh*t! I wake up every morning feeling like death warmed over...physically and mentally. And many many days late afternoon I could hear myself saying "I hate my life" and having suicidal ideations. Thank God these have lessened since I began Peating 2 months ago! But now they've TEMPORARILY returned. Now I am armed with the knowledge of how to fix this! :danceAnd maybe this explains why I have such exteme itching on my back...internal only (nothing visible). I've had it for 35 years, but it has greatly intensified in strength and coverage the last 5 years. I thought it was my liver poorly detoxing due to fatty liver or blockage or something. It probably is a combination of fatty liver and detoxing the histamine.

I researched histamine and even found Histadelia (alot of mental symptoms), which sounds alot like me. And now it (probably) makes sense why Niacinamide gave me such a strong hyperventilating response...even at 50 mg! It lowered the high ammonia levels in my body, which altered my overbreathing pattern. I'm going to have take it veeeery slow. And of course avoid histamine foods as much as I can. Buh bye my wonderful cheeses (which I eat alot of coming from Wisconsin) :sorry:

:thankyoublue:thankyoublue:thankyoublue:thankyoublue

Have you found any good resources for "histamine foods?"... Lists etc.?

Birdie

I checked the Bryers Natural Vanilla here and the ingredients didn't look good... ? We buy Haagen Dazs when it's on sale.
There are some good ones from small companies here, but very expensive. Surprised that some small companies add junk, like one from San Juan Island I think.

You've all got me thinking about histamine, but I almost can't face another issue just now.
I stay away from vinegar, sauerkraut and other obvious histamine foods. No whey or gums.
If I start thinking about not eating leftovers though, and that's what I've read is necessary to avoid histamine...
When I cook it has to be big batches.

And cheese. My mainstay... I can't eat gluten, nightshades, high arginine, ... adding histamine foods to the list might push me over the edge!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals