Hypothyroid Maybe Hypoglycemia, But I Think It's Solely On Account Of Diet

tara

I just mixed up a shake with 2 cups of milk, 3 eggs, 2 Tbsps of Ground flax seed, a banana, and 2 big scoops of ice cream w/ 3 Tbsps of sugar. But even this ended up getting me gassy and bloated.
My guess would be the flax seeds might be the culprit - is there a reason for those particularly? You could try another one without them.
Or possibly the bananas.

OP
J

Jimmerz

My guess would be the flax seeds might be the culprit - is there a reason for those particularly? You could try another one without them.
Or possibly the bananas.
I've been trying to consume more fiber in an effort to keep things moving, that's why the flaxseed.

tara

I've been trying to consume more fiber in an effort to keep things moving, that's why the flaxseed.
Peat's recommendations for fibre include grated raw carrot salad, boiled mushrooms, boiled bamboo shoots. Have you tried any of those?

If transit is slow, I think it can be because either the system is short on energy - either deliberately slowing things down to extract more from the food as it passes, or just not getting enough energy to keep it working efficiently, or CO2 levels are low, or because the gut lining is inflamed and swollen and the lumen is restricted.
Sometimes eating more or more nourishing food helps.
Sometimes figuring out if particular foods are irritating and avoiding them helps.
Sometimes aged cascara sagrada can calm inflammation. Here's a article by Peat if you haven't come across it yet: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cascara-energy-cancer-fda-laxative-abuse.shtml)
Sometimes other support for metabolism is needed.

OP
J

Jimmerz

Peat's recommendations for fibre include grated raw carrot salad, boiled mushrooms, boiled bamboo shoots. Have you tried any of those?

If transit is slow, I think it can be because either the system is short on energy - either deliberately slowing things down to extract more from the food as it passes, or just not getting enough energy to keep it working efficiently, or CO2 levels are low, or because the gut lining is inflamed and swollen and the lumen is restricted.
Sometimes eating more or more nourishing food helps.
Sometimes figuring out if particular foods are irritating and avoiding them helps.
Sometimes aged cascara sagrada can calm inflammation. Here's a article by Peat if you haven't come across it yet: Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.)
Sometimes other support for metabolism is needed.

Thank You Tara! Yes, I have done the carrot salads, but have not tried the mushrooms of bamboo shoots yet, however they're now on the grocery list! I was trying to recall exactly what I had been doing/taking when things were working so well. I have a prescription for Linzess (Prescription laxative) and I was taking 1 of these daily while things were good. Maybe I should continue to do so until my thyroid seems to take off on its' own again? They do alleviate a lot of agony.
Thanks for the link Tara! Going to check it out now!

artlange

Eating a grated carrot salad with salt and a little vinegar is supposed to be a daily act. It will take time to restore your gut. One carrot salad one time will not cause a miracle. Continuous daily use will probably provide the benefits you are looking for. (reduced bad bacteria and increased gut motility.

I'd also suggest you stop any grains. many grains are tainted with Glyphosate. and the grains have toxins top prevent mammals from eating them. Ray Peat has mentioned this often in his KMUD interviews, which you might consider listening to. Hearing Ray directly would be another good source for ideas to use to improve your health,.

OP
J

Jimmerz

Tara, I've tried both grated raw carrot salad, and boiled mushrooms, and no help. Everything I eat just sits in my gut and rots, making lots of gas which can't escape from either end.

There's a stomach acid test you can do, where you mix 1/4 tsp. of baking soda with 5-6 ozs. of water and drink it first thing in the a.m. prior to eating. If you have sufficient stomach acid, this is supposed to cause you to belch within approx. 3 minutes due to the chemical reaction. If it takes 5 min. or more, then you have insufficient stomach HCL. I've done this 3 x now, and each time 3 hours later still no belch.

I honestly don't know wtf to do. I've considered ordering Betaine HCL with Pepsin, but worry that it may eat a hole in my gut. I've read that stomach HCL is what controls the opening and closing at both ends, maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for it?

tara

I honestly don't know wtf to do. I've considered ordering Betaine HCL with Pepsin, but worry that it may eat a hole in my gut. I've read that stomach HCL is what controls the opening and closing at both ends, maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for it?
I have no medical education, and can not give any medical advice. And I really don't know with confidence what will help, and how much risk there is of something going amiss and causing ore harm since you are in a weakened state to begin with.
But from what you say, I would guess that you are really struggling to produce the stomach acid and/or digestive enzymes you need to get nourishment from your food.
This has not been such a severe part of my own health issues, and I don't have much experience figuring it out.

There are people here who have made headway.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably be investigating further about the betaine HCL and other digestive enzymes. Have you searched and read threads here by people who have used them? A healthy gut is designed to handle some HCL, because that's what a healthy gut uses daily to churn the food with. What I've read is that with betaine HCL, you should try it and increase the dose till it feels like it's burning, and then back off to less than that so you don't do harm. If your system is weakened, then I don't know if you are more vulnerable to harm from it. Whether there's a more cautious approach that can work I don't know. If it were me I'd probably start with a small dose and see what effect it has and then decide where to go from there.
I've not heard of much trouble with digestive enzymes - the worst opinions I've come across then to be that they are useless or unnecessary. Others have sometimes found particular kinds helpful.

I'd also consider investigating foods that assist with digestion. Both foods that are easy to digest in themselves, and also foods that support digestion one way or another. It might be herbs that stimulate your appetite and get things moving for you, or foods that contain enzymes that assist in their own digestion or the digestion of other foods.
Eating a variety of tasty foods that you enjoy - combining foods to get recipes that are greater than the sum of their parts.
Giving yourself a relaxed, pleasant environment to eat in.
Also learning about what is needed for the body to produce its own HCL, sucrases, amylases, proteases, lipases, etc. There are some down sides to fermented foods, and to raw foods, and I personally don't do well with yogurts and cheeses etc. But it may be that some of them are easier to digest, and that if that's the key issue, there might be some trade offs. Of course, weak stomach acid also makes you more vulnerable to parasites and bacterial infections from raw foods, so there's that to consider. might make the m useful for you? I think pineapple contains some proteases that can help with digesting meat, if one eats a little at the same time. I expect there is more to be learned in that area. Again, I'm not expert.

Are you checking in with cronometer from time to time to ee if there are any specific micronutrient gaps that could be part of the problem? If there are some , you could see if you can find foods to fill those gaps.

tara

And other factors to support digestion:
Body temperature warm enough to support the processes.
CO2 levels high enough to allow circulation to the digestive system.

OP
J

Jimmerz

And other factors to support digestion:
Body temperature warm enough to support the processes.
CO2 levels high enough to allow circulation to the digestive system.

Tara, Sorry for the delayed response...lol. Anyways, here's an interesting twist, my constant cold feet, and feeling cold all the time magically went away today after eating a bowl of oatmeal that was loaded with brown sugar. I've noticed this on a lot of other occasions as well after eating such things as a bowl of cubed watermelon, a couple of cups of cheerios, half a dozen mozzarella sticks, etc.

Thinking back to when I was a kid, my grandparents only bought bland cereal, (Wheaties, Corn Flakes (unfrosted of course) etc.) , but I'd load them up with cane sugar, and I remember getting all warm and toasty within 5-10 minutes. I'm guessing I've been hypoglycemic most of my life. Not sure if diabetes is a factor at this point, but when I checked the Hypoglycemia symptoms, they all fit.

Anyways, this morning I checked my temperature upon waking and it was 96.9 Farenheit, and after eating that oatmeal (It felt like my body temp jumped 10 degrees) I checked it again, and it was up to 99 degrees.

Not sure how to proceed at this point, but at least I have somewhere to start. I have a glucometer here, I'll have to do some reading on how to use it correctly.

Edit : Something else I just thought of going clear back to my teen years and continuing right up to the present, I can recall (And my recollection is terrible) at least 10 times where I got dizzy and fainted, once at my girlfriend's aunt's house. They said I just tell forward, never put my hands out of anything, and that my head hit the ceramic tile so hard it bounced. I came to with a big lump on my forehead. 4-5 times at work, where I came to next my work truck with cuts on my head because I fell into the lift gate. Guess I've been fortunate this never happened while I was driving.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jimmerz

Eating a grated carrot salad with salt and a little vinegar is supposed to be a daily act. It will take time to restore your gut. One carrot salad one time will not cause a miracle. Continuous daily use will probably provide the benefits you are looking for. (reduced bad bacteria and increased gut motility.

I'd also suggest you stop any grains. many grains are tainted with Glyphosate. and the grains have toxins top prevent mammals from eating them. Ray Peat has mentioned this often in his KMUD interviews, which you might consider listening to. Hearing Ray directly would be another good source for ideas to use to improve your health,.

Art, thanks for the reply. Added it all to my notes here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals