Is orange juice okay with red meat?

abruzzi

I'm finding conflicting thoughts on this and the posts seem a couple of years old. Is it okay to have OJ with a rib eye or red meat? I've been doing this, but I read on this forum that vitamin C increases iron absorption, and I've also read that it does not.

If not OJ, then what? Maybe a soda with real sugar?

On a side note, Dinkov had a very good interview with Dr. Mercola if you haven't caught it.

Thanks.

mattmm24

I'm finding conflicting thoughts on this and the posts seem a couple of years old. Is it okay to have OJ with a rib eye or red meat? I've been doing this, but I read on this forum that vitamin C increases iron absorption, and I've also read that it does not.

On a side note, Dinkov had a very good interview with Dr. Mercola if you haven't caught it.

Thanks.
Definitely not. Fruit and meat do not go together at all. Eat fruit drink fruit juice on an empty stomach. Your body digests similar foods and if you mix the wrong ones it doesn’t digest hardly at all.

redsun

Thanks.

Newer research shows it may not actually be the case:

"Among patients with IDA, oral iron supplements alone were equivalent to oral iron supplements plus vitamin C in improving hemoglobin recovery and iron absorption. These findings suggest that on-demand vitamin C supplements are not essential to take along with oral iron supplements for patients with IDA."

Based on this I say have at it.

Definitely not. Fruit and meat do not go together at all. Eat fruit drink fruit juice on an empty stomach. Your body digests similar foods and if you mix the wrong ones it doesn’t digest hardly at all.
Food combining theory is a myth.

lilsticky

you uptake heme-iron way more than from a supplement. you really think rust in a pill is the same thing? ascorbate, citrate and fructose are all known to increase iron uptake. posting poorly designed studies about it and shutting people down is bull**** btw

mattmm24

Newer research shows it may not actually be the case:

"Among patients with IDA, oral iron supplements alone were equivalent to oral iron supplements plus vitamin C in improving hemoglobin recovery and iron absorption. These findings suggest that on-demand vitamin C supplements are not essential to take along with oral iron supplements for patients with IDA."

Based on this I say have at it.

Food combining theory is a myth.
Just from experience and trying it I would say it is not a myth. But I don't think it's worth going to extreme lengths to try and incorporate either. Just some general principles is enough. I always do fruit on an empty stomach and never mix with meat. Well I don't drink any liquids when I am eating either.

Vileplume

I think fruit and meat together is fine, as long as it digests well. Those are both traditional human foods, healthy individually, so I don't think the combination would make a net negative.

Although I do think fruit digests best on its own, so you could try consuming the fruit/juice first then waiting 10-15 mins, like @CLASH has discussed.

OP
abruzzi

abruzzi

Ugh. There's never a simple answer, is there? I've been having OJ with just about everything as my carb source or an additional carb source. I personally don't seem to have digestive issues or any of the other various problems people seem to complain about. Maybe a little here and there, but nothing that is problematic.

I'm 58. I'm Italian and grew up on a typical southern Italian diet. As I got older I cut that out, but still enjoy an occasional quality pizza or pasta.

I was only wondering if I was doing something bad for my health if I drink OJ with a Ribeye or burger. Maybe I'll switch it up to soda. I like soda better anyway.

Vileplume

Ugh. There's never a simple answer, is there? I've been having OJ with just about everything as my carb source or an additional carb source. I personally don't seem to have digestive issues or any of the other various problems people seem to complain about. Maybe a little here and there, but nothing that is problematic.

I'm 58. I'm Italian and grew up on a typical southern Italian diet. As I got older I cut that out, but still enjoy an occasional quality pizza or pasta.

I was only wondering if I was doing something bad for my health if I drink OJ with a Ribeye or burger. Maybe I'll switch it up to soda. I like soda better anyway.
If you don't notice negative symptoms from a nutritious food like OJ, I don't think there's any reason to make a big change.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Coffee and milk / half and half might be best if you want to keep iron absorption low.

A large portion of iron from meat is non heme whose absorption is enhanced by vitamin C.

Personally, I do drink juice or coffee without worrying about meat since I eat it once or twice a week only.

In Ray's spirit, context is key.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals