Diarrhea From Orange Juice/OJ Cured With Antibiotics

Whenever I'd drink orange juice, I'd always have digestion problems often resulting in diarrhea, regardless of the brand. After reading about a member's post on this forum about how their issue with OJ cleared up after going on a two week antibiotic course and haidut's post about the tetraclycines, I decided to do a 10 day course of doxycycline.

The course ended a few days ago. Since then I've been consuming about a litre of OJ a day without even the slightest bit of difficulty. Perfect.

OP
cantstoppeating
As another update, I've continued to drink OJ without any troubles.

Also for the last few days I've reintroduced milk in increasing amounts without any trouble whatsoever. Whereas before I'd experience intestinal pain, acne and bloating issues I now drink the stuff just as easily as OJ. I'm now drinking 2 litres of milk a day.

It could all be due to the antibiotic course I took or the general increase in metabolism, probably both.

I'm beginning to think a course of antibiotics is a good 'reset' button for the gut to make sure all the crap is cleared out and ready for the introduction of milk, OJ, cheese etc.

jyb

cantstoppeating said:
I'm beginning to think a course of antibiotics is a good 'reset' button for the gut to make sure all the crap is cleared out and ready for the introduction of milk, OJ, cheese etc.

A safer alternative that worked for me as a reset is fermented foods. It cleared my acne, promoted good transit time and really changed stool consistency for the better (the consistency talked about on this forum).

I did high dose doxycycline on and off for about a year a long time ago. It worked for acne for the first few weeks. I can't really comment on which is better for a "reset", but I do think antibiotics is less safe if both have the same effect.

OP
cantstoppeating
jyb said:
cantstoppeating said:

A safer alternative that worked for me as a reset is fermented foods. It cleared my acne, promoted good transit time and really changed stool consistency for the better (the consistency talked about on this forum).

I did high dose doxycycline on and off for about a year a long time ago. It worked for acne for the first few weeks. I can't really comment on which is better for a "reset", but I do think antibiotics is less safe if both have the same effect.

I can see why one would trust fermented foods over antibiotics, the former intuitively seems more 'natural' and thus 'safer' but it's a misleading feeling.

Fermented foods introduce their own problems with their variability in bacterial content. Peat has commented about tetracyclines and penicillin and in the context of having a close-to-sterile gut, antibiotics are the 'safer' option.

jyb

cantstoppeating said:
Fermented foods introduce their own problems with their variability in bacterial content. Peat has commented about tetracyclines and penicillin and in the context of having a close-to-sterile gut, antibiotics are the 'safer' option.

To be clear, if I eat good fermented foods I don't expect it to really the increase bacterial count of my gut. It should stay more or less as low as a count, but with slightly different composition. My count is probably low after years of Peating and occasional antibiotics. I hardly ever have gas or bloating, whether eating fermented foods or not.

OP
cantstoppeating
jyb said:
cantstoppeating said:

To be clear, if I eat good fermented foods I don't expect it to really the increase bacterial count of my gut. It should stay more or less as low as a count, but with slightly different composition. My count is probably low after years of Peating and occasional antibiotics. I hardly ever have gas or bloating, whether eating fermented foods or not.

Back in my paleo days, I'd eat sauerkraut in an effort to promote good gut bacteria. Looking back, it didn't have any noticeable positive effect like my current ability to handle OJ and milk without a problem.

We need to remember that the idea of eating fermented foods to promote 'good bacteria' is a paleo concept. Peat would rather have a completely sterile gut and there's some studies (posted on this forum) showing that such is preferable for optimum resistance to stress. It's not practical to have such given our current environment (PUFA is unavoidable, estrogens in foods/containers, bacteria etc) so using things like carrots and antibiotics is part of the toolkit.

I don't want people to get the impression that taking antibiotics like the tetracyclines or penicillin isn't safe or is somehow inferior to 'natural' food. Given the choice between fermented foods and a tetracycline, I'd choose the tetracycline every time. They're part of the Peating toolkit and they work beautifully.

TRIP C

@cantstoppeating any updates from your antibiotic experience? Have you still been able to tolerate OJ and dairy since going on the doxy? Anything specific you did to mitigate side-effects (i.e. charcoal, carrot salad, vit. K, etc.)?

EIRE24

Also very interested in this as someone who has acne. Sort of scared to try antibiotics. I do have access to raw goats and cows milk but not sure it's the best idea to be doing dairy with acne as I ditched it over a year ago thinking it caused my acne. What fermented products would be best if I went that route? Kefir and the like?

peter88

pretty much all juice gives me loose stool, stomach discomfort and poor sleep. Whole fruit doesn’t cause this. I don’t really understand why this would happen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals